Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Jason Kau Jason Kau is offline

Default Similar loud to Paradigm Studio/100 v2

Can anyone recommend a speaker with a similar but mellower than the Paradigm
Reference Studio/100 v2?

I like the speakers full range and neutral character since I listen to a wide
range of music but find it a bit harsh at times.

Perhaps it is too neutral?

Budget is $5K to $8K.

Thanks!
Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Peter Wieck Peter Wieck is offline

On Wednesday, April 26, 2017 at 6:24:07 AM UTC-4, Jason Kau wrote:

=20
Perhaps it is too neutral? NO SUCH THING!
=20
Budget is $5K to $8K.
=20
Thanks!

For that kind of mone:

a) look for a pair of vintage AR9s and have them rebuilt. Best conventional=
speakers I know of and I had a pair for years until we moved into a house =
where they could not fit. We eventually moved into a house with a much bett=
er opportunity for TOL speakers and so led me to Maggies.=20

http://www.audioreview.com/cat/speak.../acoustic-res=
earch/ar9/prd_118995_1594crx.aspx =20

b) Magnepan 3.7 - you will be awed!

http://www.magnepan.com/model_MG_37 =20

I would never send you to speakers I have not heard or used - albeit in the=
case of the Maggies, an earlier TOL equivalent. Both of the above are powe=
r-pigs, however, and have significant footprints. But both are capable of c=
reating such a detailed sound-stage as to show the proverbial 'sweet spot' =
for the joke that it is.=20

I strongly suggest you audition any speaker extensively at your preferred l=
ocation prior to purchase unless you are dead-certain of what you will get.=
=20

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA=20