Posted to rec.audio.pro
robin

Default ASUS laptops for audio work?

Anyone have experience with ASUS laptops for audio work?

I was originally looking at the W3V which is a slick-looking object
and packs a lot into 2.2kg. The DVD writer can be swapped out for a
second HD which might be useful, though I imagine in practice I would
just burn a DVD backup of location recordings until I got back to home
base.

Now there's the dual-core A6Ja which promises longer battery life,
quieter operation, more RAM, a bigger hard drive, and a much faster
processer... for the same price. It doesn't have the hard drive bay
and is bigger and 500g heavier. For that you get a larger screen
(15.4" vs 14") though not more resolution (both are WXGA, at least in
the configurations I can get).

Both models have a PCMCIA slot (a rapidly disappearing feature) so I
could purchase the adapter for my RME Multiface. But for the same
price I might prefer to just get a Presonus FireBox so I can save on
carrying around a mixer.

I'll be doing live sound performances using Reaktor, location
recordings into Samplitude and that sort of thing.

So... any tips? Will the larger screen matter? Will I hate the
slightly bigger form factor? Any idea about the firewire
compatibility?
-----
robin
noisetheatre.blogspot.com
Posted to rec.audio.pro

They're quite ok.
I have a friend who uses one with Ableton Live and it's rock solid.
*the only thing I disliked of them was the weak and ugly sounding
speakers, there's no Harman-Kardon in there.

Cheers.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
reddred

"robin" wrote in message

So... any tips? Will the larger screen matter? Will I hate the
slightly bigger form factor?

That's all a matter of personal preference. If you're performing in a dark
club with a light show, and the laptop is your main instrument (as opposed
to keyboards, turntables, etc.,) then you might want a larger screen. You
might also want a control surface. You might be okay with a mouse and the
keyboard. Depending on how much stuff you carry to a gig, the extra weight
might not matter, or it might bug the hell out of you. Unfortunately, these
are things you have to figure out for yourself after performing with the
gear for awhile.

Any idea about the firewire
compatibility?

No, but RME might know, and Presonus might know.

jb

Posted to rec.audio.pro
robin

"reddred" wrote:

That's all a matter of personal preference. If you're performing in a dark
club with a light show, and the laptop is your main instrument (as opposed
to keyboards, turntables, etc.,) then you might want a larger screen. You
might also want a control surface. You might be okay with a mouse and the
keyboard. Depending on how much stuff you carry to a gig, the extra weight
might not matter, or it might bug the hell out of you. Unfortunately, these
are things you have to figure out for yourself after performing with the
gear for awhile.

Well of course you are right. But I wasn't asking anyone else to read
my mind, just to let me know what *they* thought for *their*
preferences. I like learning from others. Because I won't have the
chance to say "oh, didn't like spending two grand on that laptop how
about I try another".

Here's a tip I can share.

I use a touchpad instead of a mouse, because I find it much more
flexible (you can use it while standing), more robust, never needs
cleaning, and easier on the wrists. I'm not talking about the built-in
pads, which are always in the wrong position. I mean an external unit.
These use to be in retail shops but for some years have only been
available through the web.

Any idea about the firewire
compatibility?

No, but RME might know, and Presonus might know.

I have also asked on the rme forum.
-----
robin
noisetheatre.blogspot.com