James Lehman

Default What do these freq response and xover specs mean?

I think what they mean is that it will put out 36Hz -120 Hz, +/- 3dB.
Outside if this range, the output might vary more than +/- 3dB.
This is rather confusing.

~James. )

"hoarse with no name" wrote in message

http://www.velodyne.com/velodyne/pro...ecs/VX-10.html

"Crossover: Variable from 50-200 Hz
Frequency Response: 36-120 Hz, +/- 3dB"

Does frequency response mean the possible frequency range? If so, then
why would the variable crossover allow you to choose a crossover point
higher than the highest frequency in the frequency response figures?

Mr.T

"James Lehman" wrote in message
o.verio.net...
"hoarse with no name" wrote in message
"Crossover: Variable from 50-200 Hz
Frequency Response: 36-120 Hz, +/- 3dB"
Does frequency response mean the possible frequency range? If so, then
why would the variable crossover allow you to choose a crossover point
higher than the highest frequency in the frequency response figures?

I think what they mean is that it will put out 36Hz -120 Hz, +/- 3dB.
Outside if this range, the output might vary more than +/- 3dB.

Correct. And you will simply be rolling off the higher response slope even
further with the crossover, dependant on its setting.

This is rather confusing.

Not at all. Why do you think so?

MrT.

Don Pearce

On Sat, 27 Aug 2005 19:01:09 -0700, hoarse with no name wrote:

http://www.velodyne.com/velodyne/pro...ecs/VX-10.html

"Crossover: Variable from 50-200 Hz
Frequency Response: 36-120 Hz, +/- 3dB"

Does frequency response mean the possible frequency range? If so, then
why would the variable crossover allow you to choose a crossover point
higher than the highest frequency in the frequency response figures?

I believe this means that they bought their amplifier/crossover subassembly
from outside, and this one was the cheapest. It wsould have cost money to
change the crossover limits, so they didn't bother.

Gary Vander Schel

"hoarse with no name" wrote in message

http://www.velodyne.com/velodyne/pro...ecs/VX-10.html

"Crossover: Variable from 50-200 Hz
Frequency Response: 36-120 Hz, +/- 3dB"

Does frequency response mean the possible frequency range? If so, then
why would the variable crossover allow you to choose a crossover point
higher than the highest frequency in the frequency response figures?

In HT applications, you can use the processor's crossover setting (usually
80 Hz), and then set the subwoofer's to '200 Hz' so it's 'out of the way'

Ethan Winer

Gary,

In HT applications, you can use the processor's crossover setting (usually

80 Hz), and then set the subwoofer's to '200 Hz' so it's 'out of the way'

That explanation gets my vote too. And that's how my Carver Sunfire sub is
set up.

--Ethan

Gary Vander Schel

"Gary Vander Schel" wrote:

In HT applications, you can use the processor's crossover setting
(usually
80 Hz), and then set the subwoofer's to '200 Hz' so it's 'out of the way'

Are you saying that since crossovers often alter the sound near the
crossover freq the maker allows you to set the crossover freq so high
that what is played is completely out of the range which is altered by
the crossover circuitry?

If you are using an active subwoofer in a home theater application, then
typically the receiver's crossover is utilized (not the crossover on the
subwoofer). In order to 'disable' the crossover on the subwoofer, you
simply set it to it's highest setting (in this case, 200Hz).

If you are using the subwoofer in a different setup, e.g., two-channel, for
additional bass extension, then you would set the subwoofer's crossover
based on the low-end response of your main speakers.