ChuxGarage

Default What Does "XLR" Mean? -- Official Answer

Next question: What does "N" stand for?

Why, it's the connector that prreceeded the "P" connector, :-)

Of course, I've never seen an "O" connnector......
Pooh Bear

William Sommerwerck wrote:

I even have at least one old XL connector. Yup, hard plastic insert.

But I've bought XLRs with hard inserts. In fact, I don't ever remember seeing
one with a flexible insert.

Genuine * Cannon * XLRs have rubber inserts.

Graham

Pooh Bear

Dave Turner wrote:

Al Gershen wrote:

I've searched over the Internet and I haven't been able to find a
defination for what the letters "XLR" mean.

Can you help me?

http://www.denecke.com/prod04.htm#AD20

http://www.proav.de/index.html?http&...R_history.html

They seem to agree. X series connector - modified to add a Latch - with
Resilent Rubber insert.

Graham

Pooh Bear

intifada wrote:

"S O'Neill" wrote

What does it mean on an XLR-5?

Well, I managed to track down Robert the Robot to ask him, but he insists
that Fireball XL-5 had nothing to do with recording equipment, but maybe
Gerry Anderson was onto something way back then....

Holy Smoke !

I used an XL-5 to connect the PSU to the first desk I ever designed !

Graham

Pooh Bear

Richard Crowley wrote:

"Mike Rivers" wrote ...
My father (before I was born) worked as an electrician in a shipyard,
and wired up a bunch of pyrometers backwards because his boss insisted
that the red wire was positive and told him to wire them that way. The
other (the real positive) wire was white. Didn't matter (to the boss)
what the instruction sheet said. He knew better.

The wire colors of traditional thermocouples indicate which
type they are (J, K, etc.) and coincidentally also the "polarity".
They have never followed the electronics tradition of black=
negative, red=positive.

And just to confuse matters, K type thermocouples have just changed from
brown and blue conductors with a yellow plug to green and white conductors
with a green plug !

What is all that about ?

Graham

Pooh Bear

ChuxGarage wrote:

So, both Americans and Europeans
were inconsistent between microphones and everything else

Back in the 1970's I attended the AES Convention where the membership voted to
adopt the standard of "Pin 2 Hot." This was done largely at the request of the
groups UK and European members.

Up until this point, most American gear was wired Pin 3 hot. This change of
convention to the new standard was very inconvenient, but viewed by most in the
US as something we simply had to do. Or so we thought. Shortly after the new
convention was adopted, many UK manufacturers, Soundcraft and Midas among
others, started delivering consoles with "Pin 3 Hot." I've owned several of
them. What possessed them to switch is still a mystery to me.

From memory it was to make them compatible with US equipment ! Back then, the newer
low cost ( compared to Neve say ) UK mixer manufacturers were almost a cottage
industry. I doubt many were AES members originally.

Some were even
wired with balanced inputs, pin two positive, but outputs unbalanced pin 3 hot.
The question of whether pin two was connected to ground or just left floating,
connected to nothing at all was also un-standardized. Some were, some weren't.
You see, in those days it was fairly common to have balanced inputs and
unbalanced outputs via an XLR.

Indeed.

This made for many years of confusion, and the need to carry around lots of
polarity reversing adapters am "magic" adapter
cables to make things work.

You younger guys take a lot for granted these days when you buy a workable
mixer for well under $500, and everything is more or less like it should be.
It wasn't always the case.

Lol, Graham

Pooh Bear

"T. Day" wrote:

Did anyone actually anwer the original question?

See my recent post. Even if it's not right ( although it sounds v
convincing ) it seems to be the adopted answer.

Graham

Pooh Bear

Geoff Wood wrote:

"William Sommerwerck" wrote in message
Did anyone actually anwer the original question?

Yes. It's a part designation. It doesn't have to mean anything, and
apparently it doesn't, thought it seems to be in the same family as
the part designation for other connectors that have some similarities.

Like the popular IC, the 5534. What does that mean?

But "XLR" looks as if it might be an initialization. 5534 doesn't and

isn't.

And the 'NE' before '5534' definitely is .

NE is / was the standard prefix used by Signetics for linear ICs.

No idea what that stands for. No Equivalent ? he joked. At least National's
LM stands for Linear Monolithic.

Graham

Pooh Bear

Richard Crowley wrote:

"J. Joyce" wrote ...
It is also interesting to note that ITT/Cannon no longer manufactures
the Cannon XLR connectors (or so I have heard).

Perhaps in the USA. But I still see what appear to be new
"ITT/Cannon Japan" connectors on audio and video equipment
from Sony (for example). The classic desgn with the rubber
insulator in the female variety.

Yup. Me too.

Some were made by Cannon Australia too.

I believe they sold the patent to Switchcraft.

If they did (which I kinda' doubt), it wasn't exclusive.
I recall a significant period when Cannon (and then ITT/
Cannon) were still selling XLRs even after Switchcraft
started selling their equivalent version.

For years and years and years. Another poster reminded me that Amphenol
made a version for a while too.

Beware of some cheap Asian copies of the Switchcraft style. I've seen some
where the pins 2 and 3 are incorrectly numbered !

OTOH, I concur that "XLR" was just an arbitrary part
number from Cannon. Any nmemonic or acronynomic
associations were invented after the fact by users out
in the field and had nothing to do with the original
name/numbers.

X connector with Latch and Resilient rubber insert. Predated by the XL
which didn't have the rubber insert.

Graham

Pooh Bear

Justin Ulysses Morse wrote:

Now this explanation makes much more sense. But having been around the
internet awhile I have learned the important truth that just because a
story sounds plausible, or has been written, doesn't make it true.
This explanation has been repeated by a few other people but for all I
know they could have all gotten it from a single unreliable source.
Since every other explanation I've heard has been obvious bull****,
this is the one I'll choose to believe until I find evidence to
contradict it. Not that it really matters.

What does "NC3FD" stand for?

Neutrik Connector 3 pin Female ummm.....

Graham