Rene Hawkes

Default A question about installing a deck in a 1998 Buick Regal

I plan to be replacing the awful stock stereo in my 98 Buick Regal. I went
to Best Buy the other day and decided to replace it with the Pioneer
DEH-1600 ($200), which I can get installed for free. at the store. The
problem with this is that I have to pay an extra $60 or so for a install
kit, wiring harness, and antenna adapter. The guy there was pretty serious
when he said I needed this.

Do I really need this all this extra stuff, or can I forgo some of it? I did
some mesuring, and I'm sure I can't fit the new deck in the car dash, since
the dash is about twice as wide as the deck.

All of this is in canadian dollars, by the way. Any help or suggestions
would be greatly appreaciated.

KaeZoo

You do need the parts. If you look around you can find them for less than
Best Buy sells them for, but Best Buy may not be willing to do the free
install for you if you bring them someone else's parts. Ask them and see.

"Rene Hawkes" wrote in message
I plan to be replacing the awful stock stereo in my 98 Buick Regal. I went
to Best Buy the other day and decided to replace it with the Pioneer
DEH-1600 ($200), which I can get installed for free. at the store. The
problem with this is that I have to pay an extra $60 or so for a install
kit, wiring harness, and antenna adapter. The guy there was pretty serious
when he said I needed this.

Do I really need this all this extra stuff, or can I forgo some of it? I

did
some mesuring, and I'm sure I can't fit the new deck in the car dash,

since
the dash is about twice as wide as the deck.

All of this is in canadian dollars, by the way. Any help or suggestions
would be greatly appreaciated.

Peter

it cracks me up when folks fall for FREE INSTALLATION!!
There really isnt such a thing!!
Its a SCAM!!

TANSTAFL. There Are No Such Things As Free Lunch

And "free gift" thing still leaves me wondering... aren't gifts always
free???

Eddie Runner

SO they want to give you FREE installation but
charge you $60!!!

ha ha ha ha ha ha

The kit ought to be around $9
the wire harness $10
and the antenna adapter about $7

it cracks me up when folks fall for FREE INSTALLATION!!
There really isnt such a thing!!
Its a SCAM!!

Eddie Runner
(installin since 1974)

Rene Hawkes wrote:

I plan to be replacing the awful stock stereo in my 98 Buick Regal. I went
to Best Buy the other day and decided to replace it with the Pioneer
DEH-1600 ($200), which I can get installed for free. at the store. The
problem with this is that I have to pay an extra $60 or so for a install
kit, wiring harness, and antenna adapter. The guy there was pretty serious
when he said I needed this.

Do I really need this all this extra stuff, or can I forgo some of it? I did
some mesuring, and I'm sure I can't fit the new deck in the car dash, since
the dash is about twice as wide as the deck.

All of this is in canadian dollars, by the way. Any help or suggestions
would be greatly appreaciated.

mayhemkrew

that's were people misread the ad...it's says free installation labor. what
do you think. People also misread this, We'll Install it today or the labor
is free. what do you think.

Rene Hawkes wrote:

I plan to be replacing the awful stock stereo in my 98 Buick Regal. I

went
to Best Buy the other day and decided to replace it with the Pioneer
DEH-1600 ($200), which I can get installed for free. at the store. The
problem with this is that I have to pay an extra $60 or so for a install
kit, wiring harness, and antenna adapter. The guy there was pretty

serious
when he said I needed this.

Do I really need this all this extra stuff, or can I forgo some of it? I

did
some mesuring, and I'm sure I can't fit the new deck in the car dash,

since
the dash is about twice as wide as the deck.

All of this is in canadian dollars, by the way. Any help or suggestions
would be greatly appreaciated.

Eddie Runner

but it really isnt free at all!
If you buy a radio elsewhere for less are they still gonna install it for free?

NO WAY!

If you buy the kit and parts somewhere else are they gonna install if for free?

NO WAY!

In this world there typicly is NOTHING FREE!!!
The marketing guys SAY FREE but it is NOT!!

I worked at a company decades ago and we woudl run adds in the paper
for free installation... The installers got paid commission for thier labor and
did they like it when the company said FREE INSTALLATION!!???

Hell yeah they did!
It drew in suckers from all over town thinking it was FREE but the company
suckered them into paying more for all the other stuff!! SO the installers
ended
up making more money than normal NOT LESS!! We loved it !!

What sucks is now is that I work for a much more legit car audio shoppe,
we dont play the games, we just do good quality work for a fair price..
Customers ask if we have FREE installs and we say NO... Then they
run right down the street to Best buy and pay them MORE than they
would be paying us for what would probably be a better install...

Rene Hawkes wrote:

I plan to be replacing the awful stock stereo in my 98 Buick Regal. I

went
to Best Buy the other day and decided to replace it with the Pioneer
DEH-1600 ($200), which I can get installed for free. at the store. The
problem with this is that I have to pay an extra $60 or so for a install
kit, wiring harness, and antenna adapter. The guy there was pretty

serious
when he said I needed this.

Do I really need this all this extra stuff, or can I forgo some of it? I

did
some mesuring, and I'm sure I can't fit the new deck in the car dash,

since
the dash is about twice as wide as the deck.

All of this is in canadian dollars, by the way. Any help or suggestions
would be greatly appreaciated.

Scott Gardner

Kind of like shaving razors. You can get the handle and the first
blade or two for next to nothing, but then they gig you on the blade
refills.

Inkjet printers come to mind, too. You can buy a nice HP printer for
$75, but a high-capacity black ink cartridge is $20-30, and you're
buying those for the life of the printer.

Scott

Peter wrote:

it cracks me up when folks fall for FREE INSTALLATION!!
There really isnt such a thing!!
Its a SCAM!!

TANSTAFL. There Are No Such Things As Free Lunch

And "free gift" thing still leaves me wondering... aren't gifts always
free???

TheBIessedDead

Default FREE INSTALLATION!!! NOT !!! A question about installing a

Razors and inkjets dont say FREE all over them!!

On my 18th birthday I got a package from Gillette that had one of those Mach 3
razors in it, and some gel and ****....Didn't take me long to figure out how
they could afford to give me such a lovely birthday present. Those refill
razors are damned expensive.

Nick

Eddie Runner

Now that WAS FREE!
But they are hoping that the free give away makes you like
the product enough to buy it later so they can make thier
money back... I dont mind deals like that at all.. In fact
I like the mach 3, even though the refills are really expansive
and the blades dont seem to last very long...

What I dont like is FREE installations, because there is
nothing free about them...

With the razor deal you get a free package and have no
obligation to buy... (its thier risk)

With best buys free installs they are just plain NOT FREE!
YOU MUST BUY THIER INFLATED PARTS before they
give you the supposed FREE installation... There is nothing
free about it at all...

If you could walk in there with your own headunit and your
own parts and get a FREE install and walk away without paying
then that WOULD BE FREE ... but of course they dont let
you do that do they??

TheBIessedDead wrote:

Razors and inkjets dont say FREE all over them!!

On my 18th birthday I got a package from Gillette that had one of those Mach 3
razors in it, and some gel and ****....Didn't take me long to figure out how
they could afford to give me such a lovely birthday present. Those refill
razors are damned expensive.

Nick

mayhemkrew

Granted kits and harness are expenisve (KITS-$16.99, HARNESSES, 16.99, ANT.
ADAPTORS $10.99) but we only use our parts for warranty purposes. It's the
whole supply and demand thing. The more people demand them, the higher the
costs go. When I started in the bay in 96, kits were $9.99 and labor for a
head unit was $29.99. Now labor is $47. It's an amazing market, but people
still pay it cause they demand it. And when we have free labor, it is free
labor. We don't raise the prices of the units to compensate and that is the
truth.

Rene Hawkes wrote:

[...]

mayhemkrew

And, a side note, if people come in with the same exact parts as us, and
bought a headunit from us during free install, yes I would use their parts
and not charge them anything. And it's not like we use off the wall parts,
we use the standard schosche, metra, and american internation parts
everybody uses.

Rene Hawkes wrote:

[...]

Eddie Runner

Depending on exactly what kind of car they are for
I would be willing to sell them to you for those prices!!

I could have also saved the original poster about
$50 on that Pioneer 1600 car stereo!

Im not a salesman and I dont typicly SPAM RAC with
anything we well in the store but you did ask....

Eddie Runner

Rene Hawkes wrote:

[...]

Eddie Runner

Oh, Canadian dollars?
Well that makes the comparison kind of a jerk off then....

Rene Hawkes wrote:

[...]

WTB: Factory CD deck from '95 Buick Regal BBB Car Audio 0 December 4th 03 08:13 PM
95 Buick Regal BBB Car Audio 2 November 13th 03 05:59 PM
problem with installing a deck in my 2003 cavilar [email protected] Car Audio 17 September 2nd 03 12:52 AM
Alpine deck blew my subs! Indiglow Car Audio 9 August 16th 03 01:46 AM
Installing new deck in 98 BMW with Harmon Kardon, want to keep stock speakers Bentley Bear Car Audio 0 July 26th 03 07:09 PM