Default How to bypass lockout on Pioneer nav systems

OK, we figured out the real way to bypass the lockouts on the new
Pioneer nav systems. It is real simple, and does not require any
complex switches or anything. This bypass will do two things:
1. Makes all nav functions available while driving (just like they
should be)
2. Make video playback available while driving

AVIC-N2: Underneath the unit is a small silver sticker, peel this
back. There are two contacts with the label "R197". Drop a bit of
solder between these to connect them.

AVIC-D1: Find an extra Pioneer wire harness, and pull one of the wires
out. In the AVIC-D1 harness, there is one open spot on the connector.
Put this wire into the open spot on the connector, connect it to
ground, then re-connect the plug to the AVIC-D1.

Thats it, real easy.

This sounds interesting, but I am not familiar with all the wiring
behind the scenes, other than looking at the device before they hooked
it up. Which harness are you referring to on the AVIC-D1?

renegadeejay

i just installed one of these in an ' 05 Expedition.. and you just saved
me a whole lot of trial and error...much appreciated...where do you
live / work? keep in touch in this forum... we can trade secrets from
time to time.

-J

--
renegadeejay
renegadeejay's Profile: http://www.caraudioforum.com/vbb3/me...p?userid=35937

Glad to help. Alot of people want to know about this, but it should be
free - not sold as an ebay scam. So get the word out.

I got alot of emails from people that are now using this, it works, it
definitely works people! If you haven't tried it, go ahead, its easy.

Just to clarify the instructions:

AVIC-N2 lockout bypass: Underneath the MAIN unit (not the hideaway) is
a small silver sticker, peel this back. There are two contacts with
the label "R197". Drop a bit of solder between these to connect them.
Also, you must ground the Parking Brake wire.

AVIC-D1 lockout bypass: Find an extra Pioneer wire harness, and pull
one of the wires out. Or, if you do not use the A.ANT lead, pull that
out of the harness. In the AVIC-D1 harness, there is one open spot on
the connector (next to the ground wire). Put this wire into the open
spot on the connector, connect the other side to ground, then
re-connect the plug to the AVIC-D1. Also, you must ground the Parking
Brake wire.

Thats it, all there is to it, and all the lockouts are bypassed. In
fact, you do not even get the "parking brake" warning anymore.

miamijdm

thanks for the info, im definately looking forward to doing this. I
opened up one of the avic n2's that I had on my shelf today but did not
find that silver sticker. I did find a silver plate held in with 2
screws though. I took the screws out and there was just a ribbon cable
located there.. Any thoughts?

--
miamijdm
miamijdm's Profile: http://www.caraudioforum.com/vbb3/me...p?userid=36110

drew22mader

Someone on a different forum said that he tried this and his N2 wouldn't
work, he had to remove the solder and finally the N2 would work. Has
anyone else ruined their N2 or messed it up?

--
drew22mader
drew22mader's Profile: http://www.caraudioforum.com/vbb3/me...p?userid=36129

secur-it secur-it is offline
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by
OK, we figured out the real way to bypass the lockouts on the new
Pioneer nav systems. It is real simple, and does not require any
complex switches or anything. This bypass will do two things:
1. Makes all nav functions available while driving (just like they
should be)
2. Make video playback available while driving

AVIC-N2: Underneath the unit is a small silver sticker, peel this
back. There are two contacts with the label "R197". Drop a bit of
solder between these to connect them.

AVIC-D1: Find an extra Pioneer wire harness, and pull one of the wires
out. In the AVIC-D1 harness, there is one open spot on the connector.
Put this wire into the open spot on the connector, connect it to
ground, then re-connect the plug to the AVIC-D1.

Thats it, real easy.
can d1 play dvd,s i was told it can.do you know how to do this.

Last edited by secur-it : August 16th 05 at 07:37 PM
sabouze

Hi,

I have the avic n2 as well and you do not need to reprogram it or touch
anything with solder.

All i did was unplugg the antenna, the reverse gear signal wire and the
vss from the brain and the bypass the parking brake and then video
works no matter how fast you are going.

gps stops working and shows your car in the last location before you
disconnected the cable.

all that someone needs to do now is just to make a switch that will
automatically cut these cables and there you go.

I have been driving for the last two weeks and video has been great.

ps. gps' compass still works but it doesnt realize that you are moving.

and as soon as you connect that stuff back in it recalibrates and puts
you in the right spot in the map.

-sa

--
sabouze
sabouze's Profile: http://www.caraudioforum.com/vbb3/me...p?userid=36717

sopwithcamel

I have an AVIC-N1 and I am wondering if I upgrade to N2 software if the
197 jumper tactic would work on that older model AVIC. Anyone done this
yet. I would prefer to do this instead of buying the N2 and selling my
N1. Thanks

--
sopwithcamel
sopwithcamel's Profile: http://www.caraudioforum.com/vbb3/me...p?userid=36822

dubasomes

I just tried this on my D1, no luck. Please, before you say I am
incapable of such a difficult task, know that I have made a career out
of being a professional MECP First Class installer for the past eight
years. Putting a pin in a wire harness is not a challenge for me. My
only question is... To those that have had success with this, is your
VSS wire connected? Only thing I could think of that would make/break
this. I ran out of time tonight and couldn't keep trying things.

Thanks in advance.

--
dubasomes
dubasomes's Profile: http://www.caraudioforum.com/vbb3/me...p?userid=36850

bashed1

dubasomes Wrote:
I just tried this on my D1, no luck. Please, before you say I am
incapable of such a difficult task, know that I have made a career out
of being a professional MECP First Class installer for the past eight
years. Putting a pin in a wire harness is not a challenge for me. My
only question is... To those that have had success with this, is your
VSS wire connected? Only thing I could think of that would make/break
this. I ran out of time tonight and couldn't keep trying things.

Thanks in advance.

dubasomes - I've done this bypass on two AVIC-D1s now; works perfectly.
I have not hooked up the VSS on either of the two modded AVIC-D1s;
perhaps that is the hangup with your attempt. Also, make sure you
ground the light green parking brake wire. On each unit I pulled the
blue power antenna wire out of the harness, moved it to the one open
spot, and then connected that wire together with the light green
parking brake wire and the regular black ground wire; I then connected
all those to the black ground wire on the vehicles' wiring harness. No
more "parking brake wire is connected improperly" warning at start up;
and all address searches; etc. are opened up while moving! By the way,
both units seem to function great without the VSS connection. Good
luck on yours.

--
bashed1
bashed1's Profile: http://www.caraudioforum.com/vbb3/me...p?userid=36886

HummThisH2

Can someone hook me with an extra wiring harness with this already done?
Or just an extra wiring harness? Or where can I get one?

I just bought a AVIC-D1 yesterday.

--
HummThisH2
HummThisH2's Profile: http://www.caraudioforum.com/vbb3/me...p?userid=36382

electron pimp

It is just this simple.

Take a strand of wire - any wire - strip the end and place it in the open
pin slot. Tie wrap it to the harness so it will not move, then ground it.

--
WDW is a Way of Life
"HummThisH2" wrote in message
news:1127254115.0be2dd3aaaa2d23ade06ee355dca4b64@t eranews...

Can someone hook me with an extra wiring harness with this already done?
Or just an extra wiring harness? Or where can I get one?

I just bought a AVIC-D1 yesterday.

--
HummThisH2
HummThisH2's Profile:
http://www.caraudioforum.com/vbb3/me...p?userid=36382
View this thread:
http://www.caraudioforum.com/vbb3/sh...d.php?t=222487

MorningZ MorningZ is offline
Junior Member

Location: South Florida
Send a message via MSN to MorningZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by bashed1
By the way,
both units seem to function great without the VSS connection. Good
luck on yours.
I just did the bypass over the weekend into my new car (D1 is my head unit) and i got a pretty nasty side effect in that my navigation doesn't seem to have any idea what direction i am facing...... its like the map moves/scrolls the way i am going, but say i am heading east, the "marker" is pointing SE or something like that

Currently i have the empty slot on the harness grounded all the time (actually pulled a pin out of a Sony harness and it fit fine) as well as the Parking Brake wire grounded all the time and the Speed Sensor wire NOT connected

I am about to try this:

- Wired up two relays and resting at closed it will:
(1) to keep the VSS wire connected to the head unit
(2) keep the parking brake wire not connected

- Flip a switch and the relays will:
(1) break the connection to VSS
(2) Ground the parking brake wire

So hopefully when i don't need the bypass the deck is hooked up with how it "should" be according to the manual and my navigation will go back to working the way it was in my last car (unbypassed and hooked up by the book)
MorningZ MorningZ is offline
Junior Member

Location: South Florida
Send a message via MSN to MorningZ

*** Update ***
Doing the relays fixed my problem.... if anyone cares or it helps anyone out, this is the wiring i used

"Extra" pin on Pioneer harness:
- Always grounded

Added a switch:
- Simple on/off switch with one side grounded, the other side to both Pin 85 on each of the relays

Relay #1 for VSS:
- Pin 87: No Connection
- Pin 87a: VSS in from the car (in my Integra, it was an orange wire at the instrument cluster)
- Pin 30: VSS sense wire from the D1 (Pink i think)
- Pin 86: 12v switched with ACC
- Pin 85: Before mentioned switch

Relay #2 for Parking Brake sense:
- Pin 87: Ground
- Pin 87a: No connection
- Pin 30: Parking Brake sense wire from the D1 (Light Green)
- Pin 86: 12v switched with ACC (tied together with other relay)
- Pin 85: Before mentioned switch (also tied with other relay)

So switch set to off:
- D1 happily sees VSS and parking brake disengaged

Switch set to on:
- VSS interuppted, parking brake wire grounded.. have access to full menus of navigation (and i assume video input works too, but i am not doing any of that in my car)