Default How do I test my 5-year-old battery with a digital multi voltmeter for replacement?

My battery seems to be dying an awfully lot lately if I leave my interior
lights on for a few hours while working or if I listen to my tunes with the
motor off.My battery is about 5 years or so, how log is the life span of a
standard battery with and without a little bump?

I here auto zone will test your battery for free. I have a digital multi
voltmeter so I figure I can do it myself without letting some punk kid
seeing the # 0 gauge cable I have running back to my rear of my van. I can't
be sure but don't you just check for voltage drop?

I checked the Sears web site to find a recommended battery for my van and
they said I needed a 100 AMP replacement. If I chose to upgrade what size
should I get to increase playtime with the engine off. I'm not interested in
getting a second battery; I am very limited on space this is for a work van.
Can someone kindly recommend some good brands/models of battery's and are
there any specific brands/models I should stay clear of ?

Thanks for any help

R-P

two quick tests:

check voltage while the engine is running. Should be above 14 volts when
at idle with a normal to full battery.

check voltage while engine is NOT running. Should be about 13 volts just
after engine off.

Now switch on your headlights for half a minute. Now wait 5 minutes. In
normal temperatures the voltage you measure now will be a good grade for
the state of your battery.

12.6 to 12,75V: excellent.
Below 12.5V: shady.
Below 12 volts, beyond repair.

Given normal outside temp, the battery is topped off with demineralized
water, etc.

Do a search on google to get more info and more exact numbers.
Just rule of thumb. Testing the battery PROPERLY under load is better
(like they will do in a good shop)

R-P
--
R-P
View this thread: http://www.caraudioforum.com/vbb2/sh...hreadid=159193

trex160s

the right way to do it is with a load tester
what the hell do you have in your van that you need 0ga wire?

--
trex160s

"trex160s" wrote in message

the right way to do it is with a load tester
what the hell do you have in your van that you need 0ga wire?

Lol, I have a Kicker 5 channel amp that requires a 90 Amp fuse. I stepped
up the cable because you can't find any 90 amp fuses so I bought the next
best thing.

Thanks

--
trex160s
trex160s's Profile:

http://www.realcaraudio.com/forums/m...fo&userid=1505
View this thread:

http://www.realcaraudio.com/forums/s...?threadid=9196

Daniel Snooks

wrote
My battery seems to be dying an awfully lot lately if I leave my interior
lights on for a few hours while working or if I listen to my tunes with

the
motor off.My battery is about 5 years or so, how log is the life span of a
standard battery with and without a little bump?

Depends on the battery and the charging system. My mom just replaced the
battery in her '99 Jetta, I put a Motormaster Eliminator in my '94 Sunbird
back in '97 (when the original AC Delco died) and it is still going strong.

I checked the Sears web site to find a recommended battery for my van and
they said I needed a 100 AMP replacement. If I chose to upgrade what size
should I get to increase playtime with the engine off. I'm not interested

in
getting a second battery; I am very limited on space this is for a work

van.
Can someone kindly recommend some good brands/models of battery's and are
there any specific brands/models I should stay clear of ?

I am willing to plug the Eliminator line, I have them in 3 of my vehicles
and they are bulletproof. My wife drove that Sunbird for 2 days (about 4
hours of driving with the stereo running fairly hard) without an alternator
(she didn't know what the battery light meant, and forgot to ask me). Crappy
Tire did a deep charge on the battery, installed a HO alternator and we were
back in business like nothing ever happened ... that was 3 years ago.

I tend to buy the highest CCA/reserve battery I can that fits my vehicle.
The '69 GMC has a 1000 CCA/140 minute reserve.

Hope any of that helps

--
Regards,
Dan Snooks

FogHornLegHorn

5 years old?

Why go thru the trouble.... it appears this battery has served you very
well.... replace it.

FHLH

[...]

"FogHornLegHorn" wrote in message
. ..
5 years old?

Why go thru the trouble.... it appears this battery has served you very
well.... replace it.

FHLH

Yep I replaced the battery after thinking about how long it's been since the
last swap.

Anyways the install went somewhat smoothly...aside from the rusty bolt that
held the battery in place snapped. I think I may have taken care of the
dimming headlights while bumpin.

Thanks