Posted to rec.audio.pro
Clayton Sutton

Default Sound quality question

Hey everyone,

First let me say that I am sorry if my post shows up more then once. I have
been posting to this group for two days now and NONE of my posts have showed
up.

I just bought a new high-end laptop but I don't seems to have the sound
quality right. Can anyone give me some pointers? Here is the problem:

I have been recording (cassette tape) sermons from my church into my old
laptop via the line-in jack and converting them to .mp3 for web use. I have
also been recording the sermons live. I have been doing this for a year now
using "Microsoft Plus! Analog Recorder" or "Adobe Audition 1.5" and it has
worked fine. However, after I got my new laptop it seems that I am getting
a lot of reverb (echo) as I record. Even after I reduce the noise there is
still a reverb/echo in the final product. Well, it turns out that the new
system is picking up the echoes (sounds) as they bounce around the room.
The best I can come up with is the sound card in the new system is WAY
better then the one in the old laptop and it just picks up "All" of the
sounds better then the old one. Anyone have any ideas how to go about
removing/reducing the reverb/echo? The mic that the Pastor uses is a
wireless mic. The sound card is a "Realtek High Definition Audio" device.

Thanks for any and all help.

Clayton

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Sean

On 2/5/06 12:20 PM, in article
, "Clayton Sutton"
wrote:

[...]

How are you getting your line-in signal? Are you recording with your own
microphone (i.e. Are you recording the room?), or are you somehow getting a
line-in from the sound system? What is the signal chain? Start with the
sound emanating from the pastor's mouth and trace each step of the signal's
journey to your laptop. Such a description would, I bet, elicit good advice
from the experts in here. Heck, maybe even I would be able to help you.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Courtney Goodin

Clayton,
Many of the new sound chipsets that come with laptops have drivers that
emulate different "environments".
They add digital reverb and mess with the phase of the sound to create an
"enhanced stereo" effect.
Make sure you turn off all this artificial enhancement. Sometimes they call
it pseudo surround sound. or "real stereo" or some other trademarked name
for adding digital efx. Check you drivers and if it has any kind of effect
slider. Turn that off or disable it. Then listen to your recordings
again. It may just be in the playback or it may be applying it to the sound
as it is recorded. There are options for each.
---Courtney

Just for Ludovic Audio Opinions 64 November 19th 05 05:17 PM
enhancing early reflections? [email protected] Pro Audio 4 April 28th 05 05:51 PM
Some Recording Techniques kevindoylemusic Pro Audio 19 February 16th 05 08:54 PM
Creating Dimension In Mixing- PDF available on Request (112 pages0 kevindoylemusic Pro Audio 14 February 14th 05 06:58 PM