EADGBE

Default Survey: Microphone Preamps

I am going to be upgrading my home studio's mic preamps. I have been
using the preamps in my MOTU interface and in my SoundCraft Spirit
mixer, but I have always found them lacking a bit in detail and a bit
"harsh" sounding with certain mics, especially my AKG C414TLII.

My budget is around $3,000.00.

I would be interested in hearing TWO things:

1) What do you consider to be a good "all around" mic pre.

2) Some specifics on why you recommend that mic pre.

Thanks in advance...

Jens Rodrigo

EADGBE wrote:
I am going to be upgrading my home studio's mic preamps. I have been
using the preamps in my MOTU interface and in my SoundCraft Spirit
mixer, but I have always found them lacking a bit in detail and a bit
"harsh" sounding with certain mics, especially my AKG C414TLII.
My budget is around $3,000.00.

I would be interested in hearing TWO things:
1) What do you consider to be a good "all around" mic pre.
2) Some specifics on why you recommend that mic pre.

First have a look in some newsgroups:
http://groups-beta.google.com/groups...rophone+preamp
http://groups-beta.google.com/groups?hl=en&q=mic+pre
http://groups-beta.google.com/groups...mic+pre+survey
http://groups-beta.google.com/groups...e+preamplifier

Jens

Scott Dorsey

In article . com,
EADGBE wrote:
I am going to be upgrading my home studio's mic preamps. I have been
using the preamps in my MOTU interface and in my SoundCraft Spirit
mixer, but I have always found them lacking a bit in detail and a bit
"harsh" sounding with certain mics, especially my AKG C414TLII.

Part of this is because the C414 TLII is just a harsh mike.

My budget is around $3,000.00.

I would be interested in hearing TWO things:

1) What do you consider to be a good "all around" mic pre.

2) Some specifics on why you recommend that mic pre.

Get a preamp intended to be as neutral as possible. Ones I would
recommend include the original Great River, the Millennia Media HV-3,
and the John Hardy gadgets. All of these are well in your price
range, and all of them pretty much pass a straightwire test.
They are all worth auditioning.
John L Rice

"Scott Dorsey" wrote in message
In article . com,
EADGBE wrote:
I am going to be upgrading my home studio's mic preamps. I have been
using the preamps in my MOTU interface and in my SoundCraft Spirit
mixer, but I have always found them lacking a bit in detail and a bit
"harsh" sounding with certain mics, especially my AKG C414TLII.

Part of this is because the C414 TLII is just a harsh mike.

My budget is around $3,000.00.

I would be interested in hearing TWO things:

1) What do you consider to be a good "all around" mic pre.

2) Some specifics on why you recommend that mic pre.

Get a preamp intended to be as neutral as possible. Ones I would
recommend include the original Great River, the Millennia Media HV-3,
and the John Hardy gadgets. All of these are well in your price
range, and all of them pretty much pass a straightwire test.
They are all worth auditioning.

Yes, like Scott said.

Also, you didn't mention how many channels you want to get for your $3000.
You could get around 12 channels, only 8 channels, only 4 channels, only 2
channels or only one channel for that much ( and some are even more
expensive ) depending on sound, features, quality, reputation, etc.

And what type of music/instruments do you normally record? If it's a wide
variety of instruments and styles you might want to get two channels of
relatively clean pres and then one of something more colored. Like maybe
getting 2 channels of John Hardy M-1
http://www.mercenary.com/m1micpreamtw.html ( $1650 ) for the 'clean'
channels and then a single channel ( or possibly two ) of Neve or API clone
pres, like the Great River MP-1NV
http://www.mercenary.com/greatrivmp1.html ( $1075 ), Phoenix Audio's DRS-1
http://www.mercenary.com/phaudr.html ( $1250 ), or Brent Averill's version
of the API http://www.brentaverill.com/312a/ ( $899 for one channel or $1449
for two channels )

And FYI, I have some John Hardy pres and they are seriously well designed,
constructed and sound great. http://www.johnhardyco.com/

--
John L Rice

Jack

Take a good listen to an API 3124+. Best thing that ever happened to my
tracks.

http://www.mercenaryaudio.com/api314chanmi.html

JK

"EADGBE" wrote in message
ups.com...
I am going to be upgrading my home studio's mic preamps. I have been
using the preamps in my MOTU interface and in my SoundCraft Spirit
mixer, but I have always found them lacking a bit in detail and a bit
"harsh" sounding with certain mics, especially my AKG C414TLII.

My budget is around $3,000.00.

I would be interested in hearing TWO things:

1) What do you consider to be a good "all around" mic pre.

2) Some specifics on why you recommend that mic pre.

Thanks in advance...

Buster Mudd

Rick Hollett wrote:
How do the Grace Design amps rate?

I've been underwhelmed by the Grace's I've used...not because there's
anything wrong with them, but because they seem to have created a mic
pre that is so neutral it's boring. Hard to describe; I've loved every
opportunity I've had to use Millenia HV-3's, Hardy M-1's, Jensen Twin
Servos, & Martech MSS-10's, all preamps which I think excel at being
neutral, transparent, clean, nearly invisible. But the Grace is also
neutral, transparent, clean, nearly invisible, and I've been
disappointed with everything I've tried to track through them.

Plus I hate that chrome.

Kevin Aylward

EADGBE wrote:
I am going to be upgrading my home studio's mic preamps. I have been
using the preamps in my MOTU interface and in my SoundCraft Spirit
mixer, but I have always found them lacking a bit in detail and a bit
"harsh" sounding with certain mics,

Have you tried adjusting the tone controls, like taking some mid out at
600 Hz? Or backing of the front end gain a little and compensating
further up the chain?

Absolutely, its the tone controls that completely dominate the sound of
any mixing desk. You might well be better spending the money on a decent
parametric eq, or a better mixer with more control over the tone control
shelving frequencies. All of these options are a lot cheaper, and more
useful for other tasks.

especially my AKG C414TLII.

My budget is around $3,000.00.

I would be interested in hearing TWO things:

1) What do you consider to be a good "all around" mic pre.

2) Some specifics on why you recommend that mic pre.

Thanks in advance...

My advice. Save your money for the pub, that's at least 600 pints of
Guinness. Other then golden eared soundman, no one will notice. Its the
final listener that matters, and they're usually drunk on the Guinness
they could afford by not buying expensive, valueless, mic preamps. Are
they worth 600 pints of Guinness? Well, I guess not if your a yank that
drinks that **** water, Budweiser.

Kevin Aylward

http://www.anasoft.co.uk
SuperSpice, a very affordable Mixed-Mode
Windows Simulator with Schematic Capture,
Waveform Display, FFT's and Filter Design.

anahata

Kevin Aylward wrote:

Have you tried adjusting the tone controls, like taking some mid out at
600 Hz? Or backing of the front end gain a little and compensating
further up the chain?

That's all very well, but one of the nice things about good mic pres (so
I read here, I can't afford one myself) if that you *don't* have to EQ
them to hell and back to make them sound right.

--
Anahata
-+- http://www.treewind.co.uk
Mark

Kevin Aylward wrote:
Have you tried adjusting the tone controls, like taking some mid out at
600 Hz? Or backing of the front end gain a little and compensating
further up the chain?

It is my understanding that you should choose the correct room, mic and
mic pre to get closer to the desired characteristic before touching the
eq, and IMHO I believe this is correct. From what I gather, EQ,
especially severe EQ, can do nasty things to the audio signal and should
probably be the last resort. Am I correct guys?

If just going for one mic pre, its probably best to audition a few first
and find the one that is closest to the desired characteristic.

they worth 600 pints of Guinness? Well, I guess not if your a yank that
drinks that **** water, Budweiser.

I like Bud.. :-)

Mark.

Frank Stearns

"Rick Hollett" writes:

How do the Grace Design amps rate?

Extraordinary. They have NO sound at all. I call them "air with gain".

Now, some folks won't like this -- depends on what you're doing. (We do
mostly acoustic and classical work.)

But even if I were back in my old pop/rock days I think they'd be a nice
fit, as I'd rather consolodate just where I get "a sound" to a few key
areas, such as the room/mic choice as one area, and then the intentional
effects applied in the mix as another area. Otherwise, keep it pure as
practical. But that's my opinion only.

Sometimes it seems as though folks are looking for a preamp "sound" to
compensate for something else that's lacking in the chain. Not my
preferred way to work, but this is mostly personal choice; YMMV. I've
noticed with the Grace channels that mixes are generally fast and easy as
I don't seem to be pondering or sweating anything. The music simply "is"
and it goes together well, at least from an "electronics" point of view.

Also, you can hang a lot of cable off the input and output of the Grace in
adverse conditions and it doesn't seem to care. Nice for location work.
(We're running 10 channels of Grace.)

Frank Stearns
Mobile Audio

Kevin Aylward

anahata wrote:
Kevin Aylward wrote:

Have you tried adjusting the tone controls, like taking some mid out
at 600 Hz? Or backing of the front end gain a little and compensating
further up the chain?

That's all very well, but one of the nice things about good mic pres
(so I read here, I can't afford one myself) if that you *don't* have
to EQ them to hell and back to make them sound right.

There are indeed quite a few that do claim that expensive mic preamps
are required for a good sound. I, as do many others, disagree. Those
like me take the view that expensive mic preamps are a scam, indeed a
complete rip-off. We see it as placebo effect where people imagine all
sorts of wonderful things after the fact in order to feel comfortable
about spending such a large amount of money, after being suckered by
snake oil salesman. Others have different views.

From a technical point of view, the specs of these expensive mic amps,
for example distortion and frequency response, and the specs of a cheap
mixer mic amp, are by and large completely equivalent, and have
specifications figures that many in the industry consider a "straight
piece of wire with gain".

Indeed, there are numerous controlled tests of equipment that shows that
no such differences of such speced equipment can be reliably detected at
all.

I would take any claims by golden eared people to detect such
differences in the same manner as one would treat claims of UFO's,
ghosts and pink unicorns.

Kevin Aylward

http://www.anasoft.co.uk
SuperSpice, a very affordable Mixed-Mode
Windows Simulator with Schematic Capture,
Waveform Display, FFT's and Filter Design.

Kevin Aylward

Mark wrote:
Kevin Aylward wrote:
Have you tried adjusting the tone controls, like taking some mid out
at 600 Hz? Or backing of the front end gain a little and compensating
further up the chain?

It is my understanding that you should choose the correct room, mic
and mic pre to get closer to the desired characteristic before

As far as the mic preamp is concerned, I disagree. My knowledge and
experience leads me to take the stance that there is no audible
difference between the cheaper mic preamps in reasonable quality mixing
desks, from these of the stand alone expensive mic preamps. Other less,
technically minded individuls, disagree with this view. See my other
post for more on my views of said expensive mic preamps.

touching the eq, and IMHO I believe this is correct. From what I
gather, EQ, especially severe EQ, can do nasty things to the audio
signal and should probably be the last resort. Am I correct guys?

No.

This is a common misconception, or old wives tale, usually made by those
with limited technical knowledge. Typically, they claim that large
static phase shifts are audible, despite much evidence to the contrary.

If just going for one mic pre, its probably best to audition a few
first and find the one that is closest to the desired characteristic.

they worth 600 pints of Guinness? Well, I guess not if your a yank
that drinks that **** water, Budweiser.

I like Bud.. :-)

Mark.

Over all, in audio, there are many, many charlatans attempting to flog
expensive bit of kit to unsuspecting suckers. Be wary of them.

http://www.anasoft.co.uk/EE/index.html

Kevin Aylward

http://www.anasoft.co.uk
SuperSpice, a very affordable Mixed-Mode
Windows Simulator with Schematic Capture,
Waveform Display, FFT's and Filter Design.

EADGBE

John:
I tend to favor 2-channel pre's, because I track some things in
"stereo" and/or close/ambient miking. I just think it helps to have at
least 2 tracks with the same pre available at all times.

I will be recording electric and acoustic guitars, electronic
keyboards, electric bass guitars, drums (both real and electronic), and
various types of hand percussion.

Kevin Aylward wrote:
anahata wrote:
Kevin Aylward wrote:

[...]

From a technical point of view, the specs of these expensive mic

amps,
for example distortion and frequency response, and the specs of a

cheap
mixer mic amp, are by and large completely equivalent, and have
specifications figures that many in the industry consider a "straight

piece of wire with gain".

Quite apart from the fact that preamps appear to sound different, there
are definitely functional differences between them. The cheap mixer mic
amp doesn't even have enough clean gain to use with certain microphones
on certain sources, but the better preamps do.

Indeed, there are numerous controlled tests of equipment that shows

that
no such differences of such speced equipment can be reliably detected

at
all.

I would take any claims by golden eared people to detect such
differences in the same manner as one would treat claims of UFO's,
ghosts and pink unicorns.

Kevin Aylward

http://www.anasoft.co.uk
SuperSpice, a very affordable Mixed-Mode
Windows Simulator with Schematic Capture,
Waveform Display, FFT's and Filter Design.

John L Rice

OK, I think that you should take a serious look at getting the following
setup :

2 channels of John Hardy M-1 http://www.mercenary.com/m1micpreamtw.html (
$1650 )

2 channels of Brent Averill API type pres http://www.brentaverill.com/312a/
( $1449 )

TOTAL = $3099 ( a hair over budget and that doesn't include
tax/shipping/additional cables if needed etc ) Also check for used units.
The Hardy's almost never show up used ( I've noticed maybe 4 in the last 5
years ) The Brent Averill's show up a little more often.

I think you will be very pleased with that setup since it will give you two
pairs of complimentary world class pres that you will most likely own and
enjoy the rest of your life.

Best of luck!
--
John L Rice

oups.com...

John L Rice wrote:
Also, you didn't mention how many channels you want to get for your

$3000.
You could get around 12 channels, only 8 channels, only 4 channels,

only 2
channels or only one channel for that much ( and some are even more
expensive ) depending on sound, features, quality, reputation, etc.

And what type of music/instruments do you normally record? If it's a

wide
variety of instruments and styles you might want to get two channels

of
relatively clean pres and then one of something more colored.

Kevin Aylward

Kevin Aylward wrote:
anahata wrote:
Kevin Aylward wrote:

[...]

From a technical point of view, the specs of these expensive mic

amps,
for example distortion and frequency response, and the specs of a
cheap mixer mic amp, are by and large completely equivalent, and have
specifications figures that many in the industry consider a "straight

piece of wire with gain".

Quite apart from the fact that preamps appear to sound different,

That is an opinion that many have. I and others disagree.

there are definitely functional differences between them.

Sometimes.

The cheap
mixer mic amp doesn't even have enough clean gain to use with certain
microphones on certain sources, but the better preamps do.

One might need a mixer with a pad. One might not. Depends on the mixer
design.

The point is that there are many, affordable complete, quality mixers,
costing less than a typical high end mic preamp, which are
indistinguishable from each other sound wise.

Kevin Aylward

http://www.anasoft.co.uk/EE/index.html
http://www.anasoft.co.uk
SuperSpice, a very affordable Mixed-Mode
Windows Simulator with Schematic Capture,
Waveform Display, FFT's and Filter Design.

anahata

Kevin Aylward wrote:

There are indeed quite a few that do claim that expensive mic preamps
are required for a good sound. I, as do many others, disagree. Those
like me take the view that expensive mic preamps are a scam, indeed a
complete rip-off.

However, unlike the more-money-than-sense audiophile victims of snake
oil salesmen, the majority of people who buy mic preamps are
professionals whose livelihood depends on the quality of their hearing
and who wouldn't waste their studio equipment budget on gear that wasn't
worth it. Don't make the mistake of confusing those two groups of people.

Most recording engineers who purchase high end mic preamps wouldn't be
seen dead with monster cables, audiophile wooden equipment knobs and
"golden ears" mains cables, but they do care about the tools they use to
do their job. Some of the contributors to this group are experts in
their field, *at least* to the extent that you claim to be an expert in
yours, and they do know what they are talking about.

And they'd probably say all electronic circuit simulation packages look
the same to them :-)

--
Anahata
-+- http://www.treewind.co.uk
Home: 01638 720444 Mob: 07976 263827
John L Rice

So . . .you believe that when an identical load/transducer is placed across
ANY amplification circuit, no matter what the design, and then an identical
signal is induced through it, the output of ALL the circuits will be
identical except for the need of some varying degrees of EQ? You feel that
resistance + capacitance circuits can replicate the effect caused by
inductance on a signal? You feel that it doesn't matter where in the signal
chain you change the gain? You feel that even the simplest/cheapest
circuit can perfectly handle the dynamic range and transients created by any
sound source and microphone in existence with little or no difference?

Do you have scientific/technical 'proof' of what you claim? Please at least
give an example of one under $100 per channel mic pre that has nearly
identical specs to an over $1000 per channel mic pre.

--
John L Rice

"Kevin Aylward" wrote in message
. uk...
anahata wrote:
Kevin Aylward wrote:

Have you tried adjusting the tone controls, like taking some mid out
at 600 Hz? Or backing of the front end gain a little and compensating
further up the chain?

That's all very well, but one of the nice things about good mic pres
(so I read here, I can't afford one myself) if that you *don't* have
to EQ them to hell and back to make them sound right.

There are indeed quite a few that do claim that expensive mic preamps are
required for a good sound. I, as do many others, disagree. Those like me
take the view that expensive mic preamps are a scam, indeed a complete
rip-off. We see it as placebo effect where people imagine all sorts of
wonderful things after the fact in order to feel comfortable about
spending such a large amount of money, after being suckered by snake oil
salesman. Others have different views.

From a technical point of view, the specs of these expensive mic amps, for

Kevin Aylward wrote:
wrote:
Kevin Aylward wrote:
anahata wrote:
Kevin Aylward wrote:

[...]

From a technical point of view, the specs of these expensive mic

amps,
for example distortion and frequency response, and the specs of a
cheap mixer mic amp, are by and large completely equivalent, and

have
specifications figures that many in the industry consider a

"straight

piece of wire with gain".

Quite apart from the fact that preamps appear to sound different,

That is an opinion that many have. I and others disagree.

there are definitely functional differences between them.

Sometimes.

The cheap
mixer mic amp doesn't even have enough clean gain to use with

certain
microphones on certain sources, but the better preamps do.

One might need a mixer with a pad. One might not. Depends on the

mixer
design.

My point is that if you plug a ribbon mic into a cheap mixer and try to
record a flute, you won't have enough clean gain to do it.

The point is that there are many, affordable complete, quality

mixers,
costing less than a typical high end mic preamp, which are
indistinguishable from each other sound wise.

Kevin Aylward

http://www.anasoft.co.uk/EE/index.html
http://www.anasoft.co.uk
SuperSpice, a very affordable Mixed-Mode
Windows Simulator with Schematic Capture,
Waveform Display, FFT's and Filter Design.

Pooh Bear

Kevin Aylward wrote:

I would take any claims by golden eared people to detect such
differences in the same manner as one would treat claims of UFO's,
ghosts and pink unicorns.

I've never seen a ghost or a unicorn ( pink or otherwise ) but I'd suggest
you might be wise to be less sceptical about UFOs.

Graham

hank alrich

Frank Stearns wrote:

"Rick Hollett" writes:

How do the Grace Design amps rate?

Extraordinary. They have NO sound at all. I call them "air with gain".

When I brierfly compared a Lunatec v. 3 to a Gordon preamp, the sound of
the Grace was obvious, as was the sound of the Great River and the
Millennia. All fine preamps, but not soundless. I don't know what to put
up against a Gordon to figure out _its_ sound.

--
ha
hank alrich

anahata wrote:

Kevin Aylward wrote:

Have you tried adjusting the tone controls, like taking some mid out at
600 Hz? Or backing of the front end gain a little and compensating
further up the chain?

That's all very well, but one of the nice things about good mic pres (so
I read here, I can't afford one myself) if that you *don't* have to EQ
them to hell and back to make them sound right.

The near deaf are not concerned with avoidance of EQ.

I'm in the camp that aims to get into storage, with as little tweaking
as possible, that which I wish to hear played back, with as little
tweaking as possible. Ideally, that means no tweaking.

--
ha
hank alrich

Kevin Aylward wrote:

There are indeed quite a few that do claim that expensive mic preamps
are required for a good sound. I, as do many others, disagree. Those
like me take the view that expensive mic preamps are a scam, indeed a
complete rip-off.

I think the real ripoff is when near-deaf mother****ers like you come in
here claiming to know something about sound. The stuff you've put up for
listening sounds like upwiped ass connected to a kazoo through a high
pass filter. Get your hearing checked. It's nearly gone.

And put up the ****ing ten cent preamp champion you claimed to be able
to foist on the world, the one that was going to show what a ripoff my
Great River and Millennia pres are. A recipe for chicken**** soup is not
a meal. When someone can connect a microphone to your chicken****
champion, then we'll see your mic preanmp design chops. So far your bird
can't seem to get out of the coop.

--
ha

Chris Hornbeck

On Thu, 19 May 2005 17:59:21 GMT, "Kevin Aylward"
wrote:

Have you tried adjusting the tone controls, like taking some mid out at
600 Hz? Or backing of the front end gain a little and compensating
further up the chain?

Proving that you often make really good sense, and sometimes
make total ********. This is the latter, IMO.

Chris Hornbeck
"They're in *everybody's* eggs."
Frank Stearns

"Kevin Aylward" writes:

The point is that there are many, affordable complete, quality mixers,
costing less than a typical high end mic preamp, which are
indistinguishable from each other sound wise.

Chuckle. This from the guy who doesn't care to know what true acoustic
(unamplified) sound is all about, and wishes most PA systems (apparently
his primary reference point) would roll in "more treble".

We've also been waiting for Kev's $15 wonder-pre (the price of which
started to grow as Kev admitted we needed a few more things, such as case,
power supply, et al. (See the many posts on the DELTA: Cap analysis
thread.)

With all respect to Mackie and pres in that class (which indeed do a nice
job in their market), I'd be curious to see what their pres do with 500+
feet on the mic inputs and oh, say, 1000 feet on the outputs.

The pres in my Soundcraft are reasonably good, but it's night and day
between those preamps and the Grace 801/201, so much so that possibly even
Kev could hear the difference.

Or perhaps not.

Frank Stearns
Mobile Audio
Mike Rivers

In article writes:

From a technical point of view, the specs of these expensive mic amps,
for example distortion and frequency response, and the specs of a cheap
mixer mic amp, are by and large completely equivalent, and have
specifications figures that many in the industry consider a "straight
piece of wire with gain".

So why do they sound different than other preamps, with the same mics,
on the same source? I'm not saying they sound worse, but they sound
different. That's a real live demonstration that the few specs that
you choose to look at don't tell the whole story. I don't know what it
is that you aren't measuring, but there's something you're missing if
you don't see any difference. I don't know what you're recording or
listening on, but there's something lacking if you don't hear any
difference.

Indeed, there are numerous controlled tests of equipment that shows that
no such differences of such speced equipment can be reliably detected at
all.

There are are also listeners who claim that differences can be
detected, and they're the ones spending the money. So why argue with
success?

I would take any claims by golden eared people to detect such
differences in the same manner as one would treat claims of UFO's,
ghosts and pink unicorns.

I wouldn't.

--
I'm really Mike Rivers )
Dan Kennedy

Pooh Bear wrote:

If every mic pre had a perfect 2 k ohm *pure resistive* input impedance - maybe they would all
sound the same ?

Graham

Probably, but I don't live in a resistive world, do you?

**** Kevin, he's deaf and anal retentive. Might work for an engineer,
but as a human he's sadly lacking.

He's set up a windmill, Quixote style that kind of drew me in
before, but from here on, I swear to remain silent...

Yeah right.
hank alrich

Dan Kennedy wrote:

**** Kevin, he's deaf and anal retentive. Might work for an engineer,
but as a human he's sadly lacking.

He's set up a windmill, Quixote style that kind of drew me in
before, but from here on, I swear to remain silent...

Charging the windmill he let his lance dip to the ground where the tip
caught. The butt of it rammed him in the nuts. Hence, his quest for more
treble.

--
ha
Kevin Aylward

hank alrich wrote:
Kevin Aylward wrote:

There are indeed quite a few that do claim that expensive mic preamps
are required for a good sound. I, as do many others, disagree. Those
like me take the view that expensive mic preamps are a scam, indeed a
complete rip-off.

I think the real ripoff is

{snip nothing but valueless derogatory insults}

Kevin Aylward

http://www.anasoft.co.uk
SuperSpice, a very affordable Mixed-Mode
Windows Simulator with Schematic Capture,
Waveform Display, FFT's and Filter Design.

Kevin Aylward

Pooh Bear wrote:
Kevin Aylward wrote:

I would take any claims by golden eared people to detect such
differences in the same manner as one would treat claims of UFO's,
ghosts and pink unicorns.

I've never seen a ghost or a unicorn ( pink or otherwise ) but I'd
suggest you might be wise to be less sceptical about UFOs.

If you mean UFOs as in from other planets with intelligent life in them,
then I am as sceptical as anyone can be, and will be so for the
foreseeable future.

Kevin Aylward

http://www.anasoft.co.uk
SuperSpice, a very affordable Mixed-Mode
Windows Simulator with Schematic Capture,
Waveform Display, FFT's and Filter Design.

Kevin Aylward

Yes they would. http://www.paralumun.com/hansemperor.htm

Don't make the mistake of confusing those two groups
of people.

This makes no difference whatsoever. Scientists can be just as easily
fooled by a conjuror as a layman.

http://www.randi.org/jr/

Most recording engineers who purchase high end mic preamps wouldn't be
seen dead with monster cables, audiophile wooden equipment knobs and
"golden ears" mains cables, but they do care about the tools they use
to do their job. Some of the contributors to this group are experts in
their field, *at least* to the extent that you claim to be an expert
in yours, and they do know what they are talking about.

And they can just as easily be mistaken. Controlled tests show that they
probably are.

http://www.stereophile.com/news/050905debate/ -
http://www.stereophile.com/images/do...reatDebate.MP3

People believe what the want to believe. Its hard to accept that one has
actually been truly deluded.

And they'd probably say all electronic circuit simulation packages
look the same to them :-)

The all use the same calculation engine (XSpice), by and large. Its the
GUI that makes them different.

Kevin Aylward

http://www.anasoft.co.uk
SuperSpice, a very affordable Mixed-Mode
Windows Simulator with Schematic Capture,
Waveform Display, FFT's and Filter Design.

Kevin Aylward

anahata wrote:
Kevin Aylward wrote:

Have you tried adjusting the tone controls, like taking some mid
out at 600 Hz? Or backing of the front end gain a little and
compensating further up the chain?

That's all very well, but one of the nice things about good mic pres
(so I read here, I can't afford one myself) if that you *don't* have
to EQ them to hell and back to make them sound right.

There are indeed quite a few that do claim that expensive mic
preamps are required for a good sound. I, as do many others,
disagree. Those like me take the view that expensive mic preamps are
a scam, indeed a complete rip-off. We see it as placebo effect where
people imagine all sorts of wonderful things after the fact in order
to feel comfortable about spending such a large amount of money,
after being suckered by snake oil salesman. Others have different
views. From a technical point of view, the specs of these expensive
mic
amps, for example distortion and frequency response, and the specs
of a cheap mixer mic amp, are by and large completely equivalent,
and have specifications figures that many in the industry consider a
"straight piece of wire with gain".

Indeed, there are numerous controlled tests of equipment that shows
that no such differences of such speced equipment can be reliably
detected at all.

I would take any claims by golden eared people to detect such
differences in the same manner as one would treat claims of UFO's,
ghosts and pink unicorns.

So . . .you believe that when an identical load/transducer is placed
across ANY amplification circuit, no matter what the design, and then
an identical signal is induced through it, the output of ALL the
circuits will be identical except for the need of some varying
degrees of EQ?

Given a certain specification, the differences are below what the
ear/brain can detect. This has been verified in numerous controlled
experiments.

Of course, some designs may *not* meet that spec. They may in fact
oscillate with a certain load. These poor designs are excluded by
assumption.

There is no magic in this,
http://www.anasoft.co.uk/replicators/magic.html

You feel that resistance + capacitance circuits can
replicate the effect caused by inductance on a signal?

Of course. Its a scientific fact, not a "feel".

You feel that
it doesn't matter where in the signal chain you change the gain?

Depends what you mean here. Certainly, you want to have most gain at the
front end to ensure that noise introduced by later stages has minimal
effect.

Assuming that certain distortion figures are achieved through all signal
levels, it makes not the slightest difference where in the chain the
gain is set as far as audible quality is concerned.

You feel that even the simplest/cheapest circuit can perfectly handle
the dynamic range and transients created by any sound source and
microphone in existence with little or no difference?

Indeed, a well designed cheap, simple circuit can do this. Not all cheap
circuits are well designed, but many can.

Do you have scientific/technical 'proof' of what you claim? Please
at least give an example of one under $100 per channel mic pre that
has nearly identical specs to an over $1000 per channel mic pre.

Pretty much all of them in mixers. e.g. Soundcraft, Behringer...

As far as proof, I will refer you to a confirmed golden ear boy, John
Atkinson, Sterophile, that wholly heartedly embraces that differences
between good speced amplifiers are audible, claims he hears such
differences, yet freely admits in proper tests, he can never hear them.

"I can make myself invisable, but only if you back is turned towards me"

Its all in Arny Krueger's thread referancing sterophile,
http://www.stereophile.com/news/050905debate/

Have a listen to the mp3 debate.

"The Emperors New Clothes" http://www.paralumun.com/hansemperor.htm

Kevin Aylward

http://www.anasoft.co.uk
SuperSpice, a very affordable Mixed-Mode
Windows Simulator with Schematic Capture,
Waveform Display, FFT's and Filter Design.

Kevin Aylward

Frank Stearns wrote:
"Kevin Aylward" writes:

The point is that there are many, affordable complete, quality
mixers, costing less than a typical high end mic preamp, which are
indistinguishable from each other sound wise.

Chuckle. This from the guy who doesn't care to know what true acoustic
(unamplified) sound is all about, and wishes most PA systems
(apparently his primary reference point) would roll in "more treble".

What relevance has this to with the fact that extensive controlled
listening tests have shown that for equipment of certain specs, there is
no audible difference? Check out the Arny thread.

We've also been waiting for Kev's $15 wonder-pre (the price of which
started to grow as Kev admitted we needed a few more things, such as
case, power supply, et al. (See the many posts on the DELTA: Cap
analysis thread.)

With all respect to Mackie and pres in that class (which indeed do a
nice job in their market), I'd be curious to see what their pres do
with 500+ feet on the mic inputs and oh, say, 1000 feet on the
outputs.

The pres in my Soundcraft are reasonably good, but it's night and day
between those preamps and the Grace 801/201, so much so that possibly
even Kev could hear the difference.

I doubt it.

Maybe you should reacquaint yourself with "The Emperors New Clothes"
http://www.paralumun.com/hansemperor.htm

Most are simply deluded with regard to sound. Sorry if the truth is hard
to swallow, but that's the way it is.

Kevin Aylward

http://www.anasoft.co.uk
SuperSpice, a very affordable Mixed-Mode
Windows Simulator with Schematic Capture,
Waveform Display, FFT's and Filter Design.

Kevin Aylward

Mike Rivers wrote:
In article
writes:

From a technical point of view, the specs of these expensive mic
amps, for example distortion and frequency response, and the specs
of a cheap mixer mic amp, are by and large completely equivalent,
and have specifications figures that many in the industry consider a
"straight piece of wire with gain".

So why do they sound different than other preamps, with the same mics,
on the same source? I'm not saying they sound worse, but they sound
different.

You would have to verify that claim by performing *controlled* tests. I
am sure you have read Arny Krueger's thread referencing sterophile,
http://www.stereophile.com/news/050905debate/

We have a confirmed golden ear boy, John Atkinson, that whole heartedly
embraces that differences between good speced amplifies are audible,
claims he hears such differences, yet freely admits in proper tests, he
can never hear them. This is telling us something, and its about time,
people listened.

That's a real live demonstration that the few specs that
you choose to look at don't tell the whole story.

Lets cut the bull****, and get to the crunch. There are only two basic
reasons why kit sounds different. End of story.

This is. Non-linear distortion and frequency response distortion. There
isnt any magic to this.

The distortion specs I have seen on high end mic amps appear to be
consistent with straight pieces of wire with gain. This leaves frequency
response.

If mic preamps sound different, it can only, realistically, be due to
frequency response differences.

The loading on the mic might well make a difference, in principle. The
inductance of a transformer as a load might well makes a difference, in
principle.

If I can be provided with the spec of RLC of mics and RLCs of the
transformers, I can determine whether such effects are audible by simply
running a few simulations.

If there is some sort of ringing/frequency response effect due to
transformers/loading, then this can be probably be duplicated with a
graphic eq. at minimum expense.

I don't know what it
is that you aren't measuring, but there's something you're missing if
you don't see any difference. I don't know what you're recording or
listening on, but there's something lacking if you don't hear any
difference.

I haven't listened to to high end mic preamps, other then through final
CDs.

I have also never personally conducted an e/m physics experiment that
verifies that relativistic inertial mass is given by
M=Mo/sqrt(1-(v/c)^2)) either. Yet I have no reasonable doubt, that that
is indeed the case.

Indeed, there are numerous controlled tests of equipment that shows
that no such differences of such speced equipment can be reliably
detected at all.

There are are also listeners who claim that differences can be
detected, and they're the ones spending the money. So why argue with
success?

For someone selling such equipment, that is a reasonable business
decision to make. For those, buying the equipment it isn't.

I would take any claims by golden eared people to detect such
differences in the same manner as one would treat claims of UFO's,
ghosts and pink unicorns.

I wouldn't.

Not surprising.

Kevin Aylward

http://www.anasoft.co.uk
SuperSpice, a very affordable Mixed-Mode
Windows Simulator with Schematic Capture,
Waveform Display, FFT's and Filter Design.

Kevin Aylward

Kevin Aylward wrote:
wrote:
Kevin Aylward wrote:
anahata wrote:
Kevin Aylward wrote:

[...]

From a technical point of view, the specs of these expensive mic
[...]

Ok. I misread that. You just mean gain. The clean bit implied to me that
the signal was too large.

Kevin Aylward

http://www.anasoft.co.uk
SuperSpice, a very affordable Mixed-Mode
Windows Simulator with Schematic Capture,
Waveform Display, FFT's and Filter Design.

Kevin Aylward

wrote:

Have you tried adjusting the tone controls, like taking some mid out
at 600 Hz? Or backing of the front end gain a little and compensating
further up the chain?

Proving that you often make really good sense, and sometimes
make total ********. This is the latter, IMO.

And you are entitled to your opinion, incorrect as it is, imo. You
obviously haven't even tried this as a method of cleaning up a sound.
Its as err...as clear as day that it works. In fact, this is partly why
I have little respect for many soundmen. The above technique so
obviously works, that I have been amazed for years why so few don't do
it. Its like, no one actually even twiddles the controls and listens to
see what sounds good. Everyone seems to be programmed by this daft
layman argument of well, intelligibility is in the 300Hz to 3Khz range,
so lets boost that. Arhrrrr, I hate 3k presence peaks. Like, I want my
sound to sound like a telephone? Well, actually, for one of my Blondie
songs introductions, I do, but that's besides the point.

There is a story to this. I discovered this trick at the age of 16. It
was very apparent that my guitar amp/speaker was "midderly", which the
tone controls could not correct for. I discovered that using a
transformer as an inductor and a parallel capacitor in series with the
signal worked wonders. Yes I have been fiddling with electronics sine
the age of 11, especially with regard to sound.

I then became acquainted, at this same age, of the bridge T. This is 2
series resisters, with a cap to ground. The 2 series resisters are
bypassed with another cap. This gives two paths, one for high
frequency, and one for low.

Now for the really interesting bit. I actually remember the values, yet
I have never confirmed the response in spice, well until right now,
today as I am typing. The values were 47k, 47nf, and 1nf. The response
is a 28db notch at, low and behold, 500Hz!

Its posted here http://www.anasoft.co.uk/notchfilter.gif

My value of 600Hz was determined later, simply by the markings on mixer
front panels. With hindsight, it is clear that this technique is partly
compensating for the poor response of the speakers, i.e. lack of top and
bottom. I don't consider such a strong cut as appropriate for a decent
full range system today, but the principle remains the same.

So, despite many claims by posters in this NG, I have been very
seriously and actively investigating what sounds good for way longer
than most in this NG, in *much* detail. Sure, tone is very subjective,
there are no real right and wrong answers, so some may disagree.
However, it can not done based on the view that I am now, allegedly,
deaf. My hearing was certainly up at the 17khz range at that time.

I have spent a *lot* of time playing with tone controls, and their
design. I know what I am doing. Its that simple.

Indeed. Around 1981 I personally designed the output stereo buss tone
controls of the then latest Studiomaster desk to shelf at 20hz and
20Khz, at +/-20db. The magazine that revived it said something on the
order of (I don't remember the exact words), "how unusual to set to the
extremes like this, but they sound surprisingly musical".

The point of the tone controls here is to get the signal and its
harmonics well into the slope region of the frequency response. You dont
typically run at the full gain, but you need that to get the gain
correct at the lower frequencies. Why do you think latest Studiomaster
still uses 60Hz verses the 80hz of the Mackie on the mic channels? If it
were me I would put it lower at 40hz, with more gain. If Graham is
listening, I would also do something about that low 12Khz top end, at
least move it up to 15khz:-)

Most are simply clueless on tone controls, as evidenced my the large
numbers of cheap kit that sets B/T at 100Hz/10khz. Bringing the bass up
with that shelf frequency, always sound dreadful, as does the treble.

Again, most simply don't experiment as to what really sounds good with
tone controls. They rather believe that some sort of nebulous waffle
about "transparent" overpriced mic amps improving their sound. Well,
some of us actually do have the background, experience and training to
get good sounds, way cheaper.

Oh...Graham, I am still impressed that you at least managed to keep the
stereo channels of the C1 at 45hz. Don't tell the competition, they
might start to sound good as well:-)

Kevin Aylward

http://www.anasoft.co.uk
SuperSpice, a very affordable Mixed-Mode
Windows Simulator with Schematic Capture,
Waveform Display, FFT's and Filter Design.

FS: Pro Audio Gear, Parts, Accessories [email protected] Pro Audio 0 February 28th 05 04:51 PM
OT Political Blind Joni Pro Audio 337 September 25th 04 03:34 AM
Microphone Preamps that go over 60dB of gain. Peter B. Pro Audio 15 December 16th 03 04:55 PM