Tom

"Howard Ferstler" wrote

These days, I watch guys riding Harleys
with similar seating arrangements and wonder ....

Which Harleys? The Virago is like a mini FX Harley.
I think the FL Harley's go longer better, right?

Howard Ferstler

Tom wrote:

"Howard Ferstler" wrote

These days, I watch guys riding Harleys
with similar seating arrangements and wonder ....

Which Harleys? The Virago is like a mini FX Harley.
I think the FL Harley's go longer better, right?

They may have a better seating position. I could not say for
sure, however. The Viragos did have a smoother-running
engine than any Harley models I have seen. One advantage of
some of the Harley cruiser models (and certainly most
choppers) is that their gas tanks are small. This pretty
much forces them to stop every 80 to 100 miles or so and
take the pressure off of their backsides.

The Viragos got good mileage and they held a reasonably
amount of gas, so you could go quite some distance before
needing to gas up. The Secas were even better, and you could
easily go maybe 250 highway miles before needing gas. Even
so, there was little butt burn with those Secas.

Note that while I used to think choppers were goofy, I
rather think they are cool now. I regularly watch American
Chopper on TV, as a matter of fact. It is a funny show.

Howard Ferstler
Howard Ferstler

Paul Dormer wrote:

"Howard Ferstler" emitted :

Our substitute for years was her T-top Toyota MR-2 turbo.
That is gone, now, however, replaced by a gas-sipping Scion
xA.

You call 30-35 mpg "gas-sipping"?
That wouldn't cut the mustard in the UK.

It sure is by American standards. The xA has averaged a tad
over 34 mpg for the first 4,000 miles of its road life. The
xB has averaged a bit under 32 mpg for the first 3,000.

I unloaded my 5.0 Mustang liftback and got the xB (box
on wheels) version.

"..box on wheels"

You're not joking are you. Side by side, it could make a Multipla look
pretty, and believe me that is not an easy thing to achieve.

Does it have a built in comode?

It is a great car. My wife loves it. Apparently, it is a hot
seller these days - probably because so many people want to
be like Ferstler.

PS: I have no idea what a Multipla is.

Howard Ferstler
Howard Ferstler

Paul Dormer wrote:

Howard Ferstler wrote:

Compared to driving a car, just getting on a motorcycle and
riding off is extreme.

Yes, sitting on and riding a motorbicycle is sooo extreme.

Give it a try, fella. Talk (or chattering here) is cheap.

That's what I'm getting at here. You seem to think riding a motorcycle
in a leisurely fashion is a rite of passage. Millions of people do it
everyday.. :-)

But not you, apparently.

BTW I aspired to be a stuntman in my late teens - performed extreme
stunts on bikes. Wow!

Talk is cheap, particularly here.

Howard Ferstler
Arny Krueger

"Howard Ferstler" wrote in message

Paul Dormer wrote:

"Howard Ferstler" emitted :

Our substitute for years was her T-top Toyota MR-2 turbo.
That is gone, now, however, replaced by a gas-sipping Scion
xA.

You call 30-35 mpg "gas-sipping"?
That wouldn't cut the mustard in the UK.

Most of the high-mileage European cars would get laughed right out of the
parking lot in the US. People have tried them over here from time to time,
and that's pretty much what happened.

It sure is by American standards. The xA has averaged a tad
over 34 mpg for the first 4,000 miles of its road life. The
xB has averaged a bit under 32 mpg for the first 3,000.

Agreed that this is pretty respectable gas mileage for cars that are
acceptable in the US market.

Europeans tend to forget that many of their countries are smaller than some
US counties. Therefore, cars that fit like a glove and ride like a
stagecoach are tough sells over here. Their gas prices are high because a
decision was made to tax the &^%$#! out of fuel, to keep consumption down.

Howard Ferstler

fathom wrote:

Howard Ferstler wrote in
:

Note that while I used to think choppers were goofy, I
rather think they are cool now. I regularly watch American
Chopper on TV, as a matter of fact. It is a funny show.

No, choppers are still goofy. They cost an ungodly fortune and
they are unstable as hell. They look cool, but there have to be
a lot cheaper ways to look cool than spending $50k on a shiny
crippler.

I agree. So would some of the freaks who post here. They get
their cool looks by spending a fortune on overkill amps,
wires, and even speakers.

PS: American Chopper is still a fun TV show.

Howard Ferstler