N8NE

Default unlock and start car w/out keys . . . can it be done?

I recently learned Mercedes offers an option called Keyless Go, which
allows vehicle owners to unlock and start their cars by carrying a
transponder card instead of using keys. Is this technology anywhere
close to available to the average joe?

Supernoma

Yes but you still have to take the key out of your pocket, etc.

--

Is sex dirty? Only if it's done right.
-Woody Allen
you can get standard keyless entry and remote start alarms here in
Australia...its not quite as cool but its the same in principle.

"N8NE" wrote in message
m...
I recently learned Mercedes offers an option called Keyless Go, which
allows vehicle owners to unlock and start their cars by carrying a
transponder card instead of using keys. Is this technology anywhere
close to available to the average joe?

David

Most vehicles have a mechanical steering column lock that would have to be
defeated for a truly keyless system would be possible. Otherwise, you can
'simulate' the door and ignition keys using a good keyless entry unit and
several relays. One problem with this setup is that the remote can fail,
rendering your car useless. Also, the transmitter range would enable someone
to shut off your car with the other remote, possibly causing you to lose
control of the car...

The Mercedes-Benz system locks the steering and shifter by means of
electrically operated solenoids instead of the physical turning of a key
cylinder. In fact, they've done it for a few years, using a fat plastic key
and a purely electronic key cylinder.

David
UnderTheDash.com

"N8NE" wrote in message
m...
I recently learned Mercedes offers an option called Keyless Go, which
allows vehicle owners to unlock and start their cars by carrying a
transponder card instead of using keys. Is this technology anywhere
close to available to the average joe?

Paul Vina

IIRC on the new Mercedes all you need to do is get close to the car. When
you do the doors unlock and you get in. Then, without having to do anything
with your keys, the ignition receives the key's signal like the doors did
and when you shift from Park to Drive or Reverse the engine starts
automatically. Very cool.

Paul Vina

"Supernoma" om wrote in
message ...
Yes but you still have to take the key out of your pocket, etc.

--

Is sex dirty? Only if it's done right.
-Woody Allen
"fr335tyl3r optusnet dot au dot com" wrote
in message u...
you can get standard keyless entry and remote start alarms here in
Australia...its not quite as cool but its the same in principle.

"N8NE" wrote in message
m...
I recently learned Mercedes offers an option called Keyless Go, which
allows vehicle owners to unlock and start their cars by carrying a
transponder card instead of using keys. Is this technology anywhere
close to available to the average joe?

David

How do you turn the engine off?

Apparently the 'start switch' is integrated into the PCM or BCM, sensing the
need for the car to be running. I assume you can put it into park without
turning it off...

Sounds a little like the Corvette transponder remotes that are selectivly
'passive', allowing automatic lock/unlock with remote proximity.

David
UnderTheDash.com

"Paul Vina" wrote in message
[...]

m...