Posted to rec.audio.pro
[email protected] seanbroderick20003@yahoo.com is offline

Default AKG C414 XLII versus TLII

Has anyone experienced the XLII? I know the TLII and like it a lot.
The TLII can really take high levels gracefully with its pad switched
in; it just doesn't break up near a snare drum or on a loud guitar
cab. Most condensors can't say that. What does the XLII sound like
in comparison?

Thanks,

Sean B

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Fraser Scott Fraser is offline

The TLII can really take high levels gracefully with its pad switched
in; it just doesn't break up near a snare drum or on a loud guitar
cab. Most condensors can't say that.

Actually I've used quite a few condensers on snare drums without them
overloading. In fact I can't remember the last time I had a dynamic on
snare. You just need to use the pad on guys playing loudly.

Scott Fraser

Posted to rec.audio.pro

On Sep 23, 9:44 pm, Scott Fraser wrote:
The TLII can really take high levels gracefully with its pad switched
in; it just doesn't break up near a snare drum or on a loud guitar
cab. Most condensors can't say that.

Actually I've used quite a few condensers on snare drums without them
overloading. In fact I can't remember the last time I had a dynamic on
snare. You just need to use the pad on guys playing loudly.

Scott Fraser

Can you list the mics you use close on snare that don't clip?

Mics I've found I can't put on a snare without the mic clipping, with
a rock and roll drummer playing it: Schoeps CMC641 (without the screw-
in pad), KM184, Soundelux E47, AKG c391 (even with the mic's pad
switched in), AKG C1000 (shudder).

Sean

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

wrote:
On Sep 23, 9:44 pm, Scott Fraser wrote:
Actually I've used quite a few condensers on snare drums without them
overloading. In fact I can't remember the last time I had a dynamic on
snare. You just need to use the pad on guys playing loudly.

Can you list the mics you use close on snare that don't clip?

Mics I've found I can't put on a snare without the mic clipping, with
a rock and roll drummer playing it: Schoeps CMC641 (without the screw-
in pad), KM184, Soundelux E47, AKG c391 (even with the mic's pad
switched in), AKG C1000 (shudder).

KM84 definitely works with the screw-in pad. So does the SM-81 with
the pad engaged. Note that both of these mikes sound appreciably worse
with the capacitive pad in place.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Fraser Scott Fraser is offline

Can you list the mics you use close on snare that don't clip?

U87& KM140 with built in pads, C451/CK1 & C60 (on jazz drummers), C451
w/Blue capsule, Jim Williams modded C460 with built in pad, & the
aforementioned C414BULS with 10db pad.
I have had clipping on the unpadded C451s with a heavy hitter on maybe
2 or 3 sessions, at which point I swap for something with a pad. Bear
in mind I don't do rock sessions, but some of the world music/fusion
guys have a pretty heavy hand & the experimental/free improv types use
an enormous dynamic range. It's really only young untrained rock
drummers who I've seen over-play the snare, i.e. hit it so hard that
it doesn't get louder with increased dynamics, the head distorts &
tone suffers.

Scott Fraser

Diamond Cut DC6 versus Adobe Audition versus GoldWave mc Tech 2 December 21st 05 03:51 AM
AKKG 414 XLII vs TLII mosch Pro Audio 17 January 3rd 05 02:52 PM
TLII vs XLII chiasson Pro Audio 5 November 11th 04 03:44 AM
AKG C414 TLII HWBossHoss Pro Audio 7 September 3rd 04 11:14 PM
QUESTION: My AKG C414B-TLII HWBossHoss Pro Audio 2 August 21st 04 06:14 PM