Lawrence Bleau

Default cd stopped playing on Sony clock radio, ideas?

We received a Sony clock/radio/cd player (sorry, don't know model #)
for our wedding a year ago. We like waking up weekends to our
favorite cd. We have a dozen or so cd's we put in, changing between
them every month or so.

A couple of months ago, one of our cd's stopped playing. I press the
CD button, a 01 gets displayed (for the track #), I hear it spinning
up, but no music ever comes out. Other cd's still play okay. I was
puzzled, but went on with life.

A few weeks later, the same thing happened to another cd. That makes
two cd's this thing has eaten, if I can use the term. Needless to
say, I stopped using it to play cd's.

Any idea what would cause this?

Is it possible to play a cd too many times and "wear it out"? If so,
what order of magnitude are we talking about?

Note: These are store audio cd's, not ones I burned.

Thanks.

Lawrence Bleau
University of Maryland
Physics Dept., Space Physics Group
301-405-6223

Mark D. Zacharias

Maybe a buidup of dust on the lens. If the player has a pop-up lid you can
clean the lens GENTLY using soft cotton swabs, moistened but not dripping
with window cleaner. Follow with a dry one to get any residue.

Mark Z.

"Lawrence Bleau" wrote in message
[...]

Dimitrios Tzortzakakis

No, I did this thing, too buying a VERY expensive lens cleaning disc.The guy
at the sony servicing station told me it's usually the laser assembly that
fails.

--
Tzortzakakis Dimitriïs
dimtzort AT otenet DOT gr
[...]

Arny Krueger

"Dimitrios Tzortzakakis" wrote in message

No, I did this thing, too buying a VERY expensive lens cleaning
disc.The guy at the sony servicing station told me it's usually the
laser assembly that fails.

I don't know about VERY expensive lens cleaning disc, but I do know about
using common ones. I use them on CDROMs. They occasionally fix up a failing
player, and that can cost justify them. They won't address players that are
too far gone to load a disc.

Lawrence Bleau

None of this really explains the problem, though.

"Mark D. Zacharias" wrote:
Maybe a buidup of dust on the lens.

That would prevent the player from playing any cd, would it not? I
have two cd's that won't load, but others play okay.

"Dimitrios Tzortzakakis" wrote:
The guy
at the sony servicing station told me it's usually the laser assembly that
fails.

That sounds more likely, but again, why would it fail on just two cd's?

Would this explain why the cd's went bad to begin with, though?

"Arny Krueger" wrote:
They occasionally fix up a failing
player, and that can cost justify them. They won't address players that are
too far gone to load a disc.

That sounds reasonable, but my player does load some dics, just not
these two. So maybe something's marginal?

Any other thoughts?

Tell you what: Tonight I'm going to find another player, one on which
these cd's worked previously, and try to play them there.

If they still play, then we're left with a mystery as to why the Sony
player doesn't load them yet loads others.

If they don't play, then they've been damaged somehow, and I, as a
consumer (and a techie), would like to know how the heck this can happen.

I'll get back to you Tuesday (I post from work).

Lawrence Bleau
University of Maryland
Physics Dept., Space Physics Group
301-405-6223

Mark D. Zacharias

It's not unusual for a dirty lens to play some discs and not others. Happens
all the time in fact. If it were _really_ covered in dust etc then of
course it won't play.