damo_e24

Default Recording Techniques for 'The Wes Montgomery Trio'

Does Anyone have any information on how i can find out how 'The Wes
Montgomery Trio'album was recorded? All and any information would be
hepful.
Thanks
Damo
Phil Brown

Does Anyone have any information on how i can find out how 'The Wes
Montgomery Trio'album was recorded? All and any information would be
hepful.

Gotta give a bit more info. Some of us can't put out hands on the disc. Whjo
engineered and produced? If it'sRudy Van Gelder his set up is well documented.
Phl Brown

Scott Dorsey

Phil Brown wrote:
Does Anyone have any information on how i can find out how 'The Wes
Montgomery Trio'album was recorded? All and any information would be
hepful.

Gotta give a bit more info. Some of us can't put out hands on the disc. Whjo
engineered and produced? If it'sRudy Van Gelder his set up is well documented.

Sorry, that's not funny.

The album he's referring to was produced by Orrin Keepnews if I recall, and
engineered at Reeves Sound. It's on Riverside.

Phil Brown

Gotta give a bit more info. Some of us can't put out hands on the disc.
Whjo
engineered and produced? If it'sRudy Van Gelder his set up is well

documented.

Sorry, that's not funny.

Wasn't meant to be funny and why would it? Rudy's setup stayed the same and has
been written up several times.

The album he's referring to was produced by Orrin Keepnews if I recall,
and
engineered at Reeves Sound. It's on Riverside.

Well, perhaps getting in touch with Orrin, which shouldn't be difficult since
he's still very much around, might be the first step.
Phil Brown

Scott Dorsey

Phil Brown wrote:
Gotta give a bit more info. Some of us can't put out hands on the disc.

Whjo
engineered and produced? If it'sRudy Van Gelder his set up is well

documented.

Sorry, that's not funny.

Wasn't meant to be funny and why would it? Rudy's setup stayed the same and has
been written up several times.

Oh, so THAT is where they hid those weapons of mass destruction!

Ricky W. Hunt

"Phil Brown" wrote in message

Wasn't meant to be funny and why would it? Rudy's setup stayed the same

and has
been written up several times.

Is there a cite for that?

Scott Dorsey

damo_e24 wrote:
(Scott Dorsey) wrote in message ...

The album he's referring to was produced by Orrin Keepnews if I recall, and
engineered at Reeves Sound. It's on Riverside.

Thanks scott, do u or anyone else know where i can find information on
how they actually recorded it. On the new 20 bit remastered version it
sounds as though it is quite a roomy type of sound. I figure that a
room mic was used to ephasize this, but i'm only a newbie and i'm
after anything at all that can help me out

All I really know is what is on the back of the LP, which is not much.
On the other hand, with Riverside you can at least believe the stuff in
the liner notes, which is not always the case with other labels.

Listening to the record, it sounds like a pretty conventional job for
that era. Lots of distant miking, mixed with occasional spots. If it
wasn't done live-to-2-track, it could have been without any loss.

JoVee

Thanks scott, do u or anyone else know where i can find information on
how they actually recorded it. On the new 20 bit remastered version it
sounds as though it is quite a roomy type of sound. I figure that a
room mic was used to ephasize this, but i'm only a newbie and i'm
after anything at all that can help me out

All I really know is what is on the back of the LP, which is not much.
On the other hand, with Riverside you can at least believe the stuff in
the liner notes, which is not always the case with other labels.

Listening to the record, it sounds like a pretty conventional job for
that era. Lots of distant miking, mixed with occasional spots. If it
wasn't done live-to-2-track, it could have been without any loss.
--scott

I'll toss this in...

Roomy Sound does not neccessarily come from 'distant miking'.
It more reliably comes from merely working in a good live room of some size.
a live-to-stereo jazz session I did a few years back was miked with what
most of us'd consider pretty normal post-70's tight techniques for
piano
trumpet
double bass
drum kit
percussion
e-guitar/nylon guit
front vocal
BG singers

I and the client were quite pleased at the results: just this sort of
50's-60's jazz set studio room sound.

It involved nothing exotic unless you consider what I used;
very traditional (50's-60's) grouping/angling/spacing of players for
sightlines, hearing and mic-pattern isolation, and
tweaking of thr nice small hall (250 seats, large hard-faced stage) with
many large (8' x 10') reflective flats and a couple absorbant small spot
goboes (those mainly to get some isolation on the classical guitar), as
'exotic'.

If you record in an anechoic shoebox (much the norm) or if you record in a
gorgeous concert hall, unless you're using contact pickups on everything
(!???), you -WILL- hear the hall you're in.
Hopefully you CHOSE that hall and it is a Good Thing.
It's a GREAT way to do get music.

Chris Hornbeck

On Fri, 02 Jul 2004 02:44:56 GMT, JoVee
wrote:

If you record in an anechoic shoebox (much the norm) or if you record in a
gorgeous concert hall, unless you're using contact pickups on everything
(!???), you -WILL- hear the hall you're in.
Hopefully you CHOSE that hall and it is a Good Thing.
It's a GREAT way to do get music.

Outta be in the f.a.q.

Chris Hornbeck
Kurt Albershardt

JoVee wrote:

[...]

HERETIC! You're supposed to tell them they need to buy mics/preamps/fx/software! vbg