Posted to rec.audio.pro
Nate Najar Nate Najar is offline

Default update to my jazz trio recording

ok so that recording I mentioned i was doing of my friend's group....

the group is vibes, bass and guitar. thankfully they play very light
and delicately. so I moved all the furniture around in the living
room so they could set up longways as if they were playing a gig. I
miked them right in the middle with the schoeps 41's. then i put a
spot on the bass (THE hyper) and on the guitar amp (re20). I just
ran the 4 mics through the pres in my tascam digital board (dm3200).

i can't believe how good it sounds. I'll get some clips up in a day
or so when i get it out of PT and onto a cd. it really worked out
very well. I was a little close with the stereo pair so you
definitely get that stereo panning thing with the vibes, but it's
cool. everything is very crisp and natural and it was like no work at
all.

so then they left and my buddy had come over to watch me do the
recording- he wanted to see how you do that sort of thing. He brought
his tenor sax. so after the guys left, I got my guitar out (i play a
classical guitar) and we played a few tunes. i played the guitar into
the stereo pair of the schoeps and he used the re20 and we just blew a
few tunes before i packed it all up.

now, I bought the schoeps a few years ago specifically for my guitar,
but I have never used more than one mic. always just one mic. but
here I used the one near the neck where i always do, and put the other
near the bridge but a little farther out. still hard pannned. on
playback i couldn't believe how natural and full and balanced my
guitar sounded. It's never sounded that good recorded at home or
anywhere else. I'll get a clip up of that as well. the sax sounds
good too, but there's SO much bleed into the guitar mic that it sounds
a bit more "roomy" than i'd like. I suppose we should sit closer
together next time.

so that's my story, it was fun and i learned a few things. still
waiting for an excuse to get an 8 channel millennia preamp!