Jason Walter

Default port to close to speaker box wall?

I am building a box where the port needs to be 9" long. My max inside
dimension is 11". Will that put the port too close to the box wall to allow
adequate airflow?

The application is not car audio. Actually, home audio. A custom cabinet
company built a cabinet to the wrong width/depth dimensions of a speaker.
This made it impossible for the speakers to fit in the cabinet. After much
searching, we found that no comparable speakers will fit.

The cabinet guy decided to rebuild the speaker cabinet to new dimensions,
but keep the interior volume. Everything should work as long as I can deal
with the port issue.

Thanks,
Jason

Scott Gardner

In all the box specifications I've seen, you're supposed to treat the
volume of any ports as solid objects when it comes to calculating the
airspace inside the box. If you were to move a significant portion of
the port outside the box, you'd need to make the rest of the airspace
inside the box smaller to compensate, right? (Not that I'm suggesting
he re-build the box if he decides to have an inch or two of the
protruding outside of it).

I was thinking more of a case where you might want to have the ENTIRE
port outside the box, perhaps to route it from the trunk to the
passenger compartment.

Scott Gardner