me

Default VT231 preferred brand?

On Tue, 23 Dec 2003 23:20:32 +0100, "Patrick"
wrote:

Secondary 3:
What is the best tube for this Christmas season?

Icy cold 355ml Steinlager (Heineken will do in an emergency)
Andy Evans

As far as I know, it depends on the anode structure. The collectible ones are
early 40s Tung-Sol with the round anodes. It's possible that National Union
made a few too. These are hard to find and expensive, and collectors don't let
them go. Lush, dynamic sound. The other anodes I've seen are T shaped (40s,
early 50s - good sound), and then what's called offset or staggered anodes (50s
on). These are extremely plentiful in 7N7 form. Sound is clearer and brighter.
Some of the VT231 have these offset anodes. From memory there are also some
flat anode versions, like a typical 6J5. To me it's not a question of makers
but of construction - that's what makes the biggest difference. If you want the
round anode sound on the cheap use 7AF7 and get some loctal sockets.

=== Andy Evans ===
Visit our Website:- http://www.artsandmedia.com
Audio, music and health pages and interesting links.