Posted to rec.audio.pro
Ron C[_2_] Ron C[_2_] is offline

Default Web/Internet Radio station problem(s)

I have no experience with creating/running streaming radio stations.

I friend has a web radio station. It has been on the air 24/7 for several
years. He's been having random problems with dropouts and something
that seem to me like some sort of digital feedback.
~~
The dropouts seem to me to be a buffering issue. I've found that
most of the time if I cut out the dead air no data seems to be lost.
I'm thinking this may be a channel capacity problem with his ISP.
~~
I don't have any idea what's causing the "digital feedback" issue.
Here's a link to a clip of the feedback/echo/reverb thing.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/7fsetlps5c...litch%2000.wav

In this case the "feedback" lasted about two and half minutes.
I've included the onset, the end, and my friend's apology to the audience.
~~ ~~
Can anyone here provide any insight into potential causes and solutions?

--
==
Later...

Posted to rec.audio.pro
[email protected] spiralescalator@gmail.com is offline

On Sunday, 11 November 2018 14:13:54 UTC+11, Ron C wrote:
[...]

Sounds to me like part of the same bandwidth issue. After a dropout or series of them, the music gets time-crunched (effectively sped up without altering pitch) to get back into sync with real time. Same as happens on a Skype call with slow internet. Could the ISP be throttling the speed?
Posted to rec.audio.pro
SpiralEscalator SpiralEscalator is offline

[...]

Sounds to me like part of the same bandwidth issue. After a dropout or series of them, the music gets time-crunched (sped up without altering pitch by chopping bits out) to get back into sync with real time. Same as happens on a Skype call with slow internet. Could the ISP be throttling the speed?
Posted to rec.audio.pro
geoff geoff is offline

On 21/11/2018 9:00 PM, SpiralEscalator wrote:
[...]

Too many NetFlix users in his area.

geoff
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Ron C[_2_] Ron C[_2_] is offline

On 11/21/2018 2:35 PM, geoff wrote:
[...]

A friend from Bell Labs sent me this suggestion:
~~
Could "buffer bloat" be the culprit?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bufferbloat.
~~
I can see how that applies to dropouts or stutter but don't quite understand
the echo.

Anyway, I agree that it's likely related to an upload overload with his ISP,
and if so there's little he can do to address the problem. :-(
--
==
Later....

Posted to rec.audio.pro
SpiralEscalator[_2_] SpiralEscalator[_2_] is offline

On Sunday, 11 November 2018 14:13:54 UTC+11, Ron CĀ* wrote:
[...]

I'm not hearing any echo (or feedback), just time compression artifacts