Posted to rec.audio.pro
polymod polymod is offline

Default The $5 preamp Urban Legend

Great read in the June "Recording" magazine (page 72).
Kudos to Paul J. Stamler.

Poly

Posted to rec.audio.pro
PStamler PStamler is offline

On May 30, 10:08*am, "polymod" wrote:
Great read in the June "Recording" magazine (page 72).
Kudos to Paul J. Stamler.

Thanks for the good words.

Peace,
Paul
Posted to rec.audio.pro
drichard drichard is offline

Hi Paul,

I don't have a subscription to Recording. Would it be possible for you
to tell me the focus of the article? The title "The $5 preamp Urban
Legend" doesn't help me much, other than to tell me it has something
to do with preamps.

Thanks,

Dean

On May 30, 12:07*pm, PStamler wrote:
On May 30, 10:08*am, "polymod" wrote:

Great read in the June "Recording" magazine (page 72).
Kudos to Paul J. Stamler.

Thanks for the good words.

Peace,
Paul

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Mike Rivers Mike Rivers is offline

drichard wrote:

I don't have a subscription to Recording. Would it be possible for you
to tell me the focus of the article? The title "The $5 preamp Urban
Legend" doesn't help me much, other than to tell me it has something
to do with preamps.

In the article, Paul describes the other costs involved in
making a $5 IC into a serviceable box that has a mic input
on one side and a line output on the other - connectors,
box, power supply, pots, switches, transformers, and other
miscellaneous components. It all comes out to be a bit over
$500 as he analyzed it, and he did his usual excellent job
of putting on the hat of a designer and manufacturer and
looking at all the little things that people who say "it's a
simple construction project" don't talk about.

of audio." - John Watkinson
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Ty Ford Ty Ford is offline

On Sun, 30 May 2010 23:29:02 -0400, Mike Rivers wrote
(in article ):

drichard wrote:

I don't have a subscription to Recording. Would it be possible for you
to tell me the focus of the article? The title "The $5 preamp Urban
Legend" doesn't help me much, other than to tell me it has something
to do with preamps.

In the article, Paul describes the other costs involved in
making a $5 IC into a serviceable box that has a mic input
on one side and a line output on the other - connectors,
box, power supply, pots, switches, transformers, and other
miscellaneous components. It all comes out to be a bit over
$500 as he analyzed it, and he did his usual excellent job
of putting on the hat of a designer and manufacturer and
looking at all the little things that people who say "it's a
simple construction project" don't talk about.

Ah, so it isn't really a $5 preamp?

The laurels of the RMP are preserved?

Regards,

Ty Ford

Guitar player?:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yWaPRHMGhGA

Posted to rec.audio.pro
vdubreeze vdubreeze is offline

On May 31, 8:19*am, Ty Ford wrote:

Ah, so it isn't really a $5 preamp?

Well, that's why it's called an "Urban Legend" : )
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Arny Krueger Arny Krueger is offline

"Mike Rivers" wrote in message

drichard wrote:

I don't have a subscription to Recording. Would it be
possible for you to tell me the focus of the article?
The title "The $5 preamp Urban Legend" doesn't help me
much, other than to tell me it has something to do with
preamps.

In the article, Paul describes the other costs involved in
making a $5 IC into a serviceable box that has a mic input
on one side and a line output on the other - connectors,
box, power supply, pots, switches, transformers, and other
miscellaneous components. It all comes out to be a bit
over $500 as he analyzed it, and he did his usual
excellent job of putting on the hat of a designer and
manufacturer and looking at all the little things that
people who say "it's a simple construction project" don't
talk about.

It's pretty incredible that some people do manage to build a servicable
preamp with all those things; connectors, box, power supply, switches and
other miscellaneous components for more like $50 than $500. I'm specifically
thinking of the Rolls MP13.

Just about *everybody* can build a fairly servicable mixer with from 8 to 16
mic inputs for $500.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

drichard wrote:

[...]

Well, a *usable* mixer. *Servicable* is the thing it's not -- and it's
not likely to last more than a couple of years.

Peace,
Paul
Posted to rec.audio.pro

Arny Krueger wrote:

It's pretty incredible that some people do manage to build a servicable
preamp with all those things; connectors, box, power supply, switches and
other miscellaneous components for more like $50 than $500. I'm specifically
thinking of the Rolls MP13.

Sure - no transformers (or worse, crummy transformers), wall
wart power, and most important, mass production. You can buy
a preamp-sized case with no holes in it for $10-15 and hack
it out, but if you make a drawing and send it to a sheet
metal shop for punching (for neat, round holes exactly where
you want them) it'll cost $50 just for that. The
manufacturer who turns out $50 preamps by the thousands gets
the same case made in China for about a dollar.

of audio." - John Watkinson