dylanboyle

Default CD Copy protection in AU #2

A few points I didn't go into before-

1. The discs will play on a shelf, or portable, or car cd player, as far as
I have found, but in every instance it must be the low resolution copy or
version that you are listening to- 64kbs - I say "must be" because of a
noticeable difference in quality and bandwith compared to other audio cds.

2. When played on my cd rom drive, at the end of the audio tracks, a
resplendent burst of white noise emanates from my speakers, so if you value
your speakers, like me, watch out for this.

3. Isn't this effort in stemming lost income likely to result in exactly
that- more lost income? If not, will the extra cash be passed on to the
artists, engineers and producers?

4. Lodge all comments and complaints in Australia with the ACCC -
www.accc.gov.au They already seem to have a few and are logging complaints
and comments.

5. The retailers seem to be hesitant to refund or exchange, if you have
purchased copy control CDs recently, are having problems with them, and wish
to return them- legitimately, then phone the ACCC first.

6. At the same time look at
http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2003/...849381595.html
interesting story...draw whatever conclusion you like from that.

7. Seemingly in Australia all EMI releases are copy control........ and
Warner are now releasing protected discs as well.

8. Isn't this 'beta testing' on consumers? (Without warning them first.)

9. The record companies- EMI and Warner will not respond to e-mails on
these issues

10. http://www.emimusic.com.au/faqs_copy_control.asp Have a look at the
FAQs. There seem to be a few differences between what they state on the
site and reality.

Seemingly this system was introduced by EMI in November 2002......Guess I
haven't purchased many EMI CDs in the last 12 months.

I have been involved in the music industry in various capacities for a long
time now. I don't think there has been any other step, that has been taken
by any record company, that is so backwards and ill advised.

db

dylanboyle wrote in message

I bought two CDs today here in Australia, and I was surprised to find that
they both have "copy control technology". Neither will play consistently

on
my computer, unless I use the supplied somewhat bizarre player (mid bar
tech???) which plays the cd at 48kbs via the "wave" input.

The CD's case informs me that the discs "may not play on some equipment."
EMI have provided me with a link to their website which has no information
regarding this copy protection system whatsoever. No player on the

computer
can play the disc without random slurring of the tracks, and bizarre track
information being displayed eg: track 2 - 334225521Min:4455Sec.

Is this revenge from the record companies, on the public, for copyright
infringements ie: downloading MP3s etc????

I should add that there is no information about playing these discs on

Macs
(or linux etc)- all the info on the case is with regard to Windows PCs.
(Upon which the disc might or might not play.)

So, is the public now being asked to donate money to the record companies,
and in return we get something that "might work" or might play, or play at

degraded standard????????