Mark Harriss

Default Tubes made in Poland

Anyone heard of tubes made in Poland?.
I got my box of valves in the mail today. While
all are of the same type internally they are mostly
labelled "Made in Poland" with a few "Tronix",
"Brimar", "Made in USA" and "Made in
W. Germany" thrown in for good measure.

They look good in terms of construction
but unless I can find a Polish valve manufacturer
I'm inclined to think I have Chinese units.

Mark Harriss
Mark Harriss

François Yves Le Gal wrote:

Poland had a number of manufacturers, such as Lamina, Polam (and
subsidiaries), Telam and ZPP.

Telam is still active AFAICT, even if a number of Unitra/Telam tubes come
from other sources.

Thanks for the information Francois, I'll follow it up.
The other curious thing about these valves is there is no brand
name on the Polish labelled valves.

Mark Harriss

Patrick Turner

Mark Harriss wrote:

François Yves Le Gal wrote:

Poland had a number of manufacturers, such as Lamina, Polam (and
subsidiaries), Telam and ZPP.

Telam is still active AFAICT, even if a number of Unitra/Telam tubes come
from other sources.

Thanks for the information Francois, I'll follow it up.
The other curious thing about these valves is there is no brand
name on the Polish labelled valves.

Mark Harriss

Poland was the birthplace of Solidarity,
and their workers transformed the country from
a dark communist state to a democracy.
I saw a documentary last night on that.
They are clever, and I have some polish tubes,
6BX6, and EL86, and they work OK.

Patrick Turner.

Mark Harriss

Patrick Turner wrote:
Poland was the birthplace of Solidarity,
and their workers transformed the country from
a dark communist state to a democracy.
I saw a documentary last night on that.
They are clever, and I have some polish tubes,
6BX6, and EL86, and they work OK.

Patrick Turner.

Hi Pat,
I found a website in Poland selling the types of
valves I have: From the tiny photo the getters, mica
spacers, colour of the labelling etc all look the same.
I just get a little suspicious when a couple of the parts
are labelled as being made in three countries and with
three different brands.

Mark Harriss

Patrick Turner

Mark Harriss wrote:

Patrick Turner wrote:
Poland was the birthplace of Solidarity,
and their workers transformed the country from
a dark communist state to a democracy.
I saw a documentary last night on that.
They are clever, and I have some polish tubes,
6BX6, and EL86, and they work OK.

Patrick Turner.

Hi Pat,
I found a website in Poland selling the types of
valves I have: From the tiny photo the getters, mica
spacers, colour of the labelling etc all look the same.
I just get a little suspicious when a couple of the parts
are labelled as being made in three countries and with
three different brands.

Mark Harriss

I don't know much more about the real origin, or history
of the polish tubes I have, other than the box says made in Poland,
and that they work.
For how long they'll work, or how silently, I don't know.
I even have 'made in India' tubes, a couple of chinese,
a few russians, and lots of others with goodness knows what origin.

I share all of your suspicions.

I try to use well known NOS NIB signal tubes for drivers,
and preamps, and russian outputs.
I sometimes use russian EL84 strapped as triodes for drivers,
and I hear good music from them, and I measure very low thd
and noise.
The Polish EL86 trialled similarly gave the same results.

If they are cheap and sound well, use them, and if
they go noisy, maybe hard sounding, just replace.

There is some variablity in quality with tubes.
The old Telefunkens were pretty good,
also old Oz made, and the US made,
providing you don't get gassy ones which are noisy.
The western country factories were well run, clean,
well maintained places, full of shielas happy to make tubes.
And they the old factories spent serious $$ on R&D,
and testing finished tubes. Nobody liked short life tubes in 1955.
The military and commerce depended on tubes.
But now its only guitarists and a few hi-fi folks who need tubes,
and the factories don't make the volumes they used to.

But I have not had a dud tube from New Sensor.
But although this is the case, not all modern tubes sound the same the
older
samples, some are better, some worse.

Patrick Turner.

Richard S. McCown

I got my box of valves in the mail today. While all are of the same type
internally they are mostly labelled "Made in Poland" with a few
"Tronix", "Brimar", "Made in USA" and "Made in
W. Germany" thrown in for good measure.
------------
Poland *is* the safe bet!
The rest sounds like typical hide the East Bloc origin.

Jd.

Uzytkownik "Mark Harriss" napisal w
wiadomosci ...

Anyone heard of tubes made in Poland?.

Yes. I've used many of them

I got my box of valves in the mail today. While
all are of the same type internally they are mostly
labelled "Made in Poland" with a few "Tronix",
"Brimar", "Made in USA" and "Made in
W. Germany" thrown in for good measure.

May be You have some relabelled tubes...

They look good in terms of construction
but unless I can find a Polish valve manufacturer

1. There was a big factory in Warsaw, called "Zaklady Wytworcze Lamp
Elektronowych".
Tubes were marked with ZWLE, Telam, Polam and Polamp brands.
See http://www.mif.pg.gda.pl/homepages/frank/brand.html for logo.
ZWLE produced mercury discharge and fluorescent tubes also, and bancrupted
in early 90's.

2. Second (smaller) factory - "Dolam" was located in Wroclaw, and produced
tubes in smaller lots - octal tubes, some soviet types (but marked in latin
letters !). Dolam was also producer of Nixie displays.
See http://www.unitra-dolam.pl/index_en.htm for their contemporary product
profile.

3. Third producer - "Lamina" - located in Piaseczno, produced tubes for
military/industry/broadcasting use (e.g. latin marked GU-50).
Lamina still exists: http://www.lamina.com.pl/Lamina/myweb7/products.htm

Some of Polish tubes were also marked with Unitra (trade company) logo.
--
==========###-###-###-###==============
Jaroslaw Dubowski, Bytom, Poland,

Jd.

Uzytkownik "Jean-Noel" napisal w wiadomosci

Hello,
Was
the Lamina's GU-50 produced in Poland or just relabelled in Poland ?

I think that GU-50 were produced in Poland also. That was no use to relabel
soviet tubes - GUs were used by army mainly...
Mind that concentrating production of this tube (used by armies of all
Warsaw Pact countries) only in one factory could not be good for military
reasons.

--
==========###-###-###-###==============
Jaroslaw Dubowski, Bytom

Mark Harriss

Jd. wrote:

[...]

Thanks for the information Jaroslaw, I'll take a look at the websites
and see what they have. Thanks

Mark Harriss
Jd.

Uzytkownik "Mark Harriss" napisal w
wiadomosci ...

Thanks for the information Jaroslaw, I'll take a look at the

websites
and see what they have. Thanks

I think they are not producing any audio-usable tubes any longer...

--
==========###-###-###-###==============
Jaroslaw Dubowski, Bytom

Jd.

Uzytkownik "Jean-Noel" napisal w wiadomosci
On Sat, 20 Dec 2003 22:44:57 +0100, Jd. wrote:

Do you have a link or a picture for the Lamina GU-50 ?

Here someone is selling such a GU-50 made by Unitra Lamina:
http://www.allegro.pl/show_item.php?item=19094103
(Unitra logo could be clearly seen)

--
==========###-###-###-###==============
Jaroslaw Dubowski, Bytom, Poland,
==========###-###-###-###==============

Philip Lawrence

HI
I purchased some Dolam 6p3s when on holidays in Poland.
They look very well made tubes, but I found most had bits of metal
floating arround in them and developed shorts.
It was at the time solidarity was getting going.Early 80's I guess.
Cost 145 Zloty. I think I was getting about 1000 Zloty to the dollar {on
the black market} at the time.
Phil

Jd. wrote:
[...]

Jd.

Uzytkownik "Jean-Noel" napisal w wiadomosci
On Sat, 20 Dec 2003 22:44:57 +0100, Jd. wrote:

I think that GU-50 were produced in Poland also.

Do you have a link or a picture for the Lamina GU-50 ?

Look he
http://www.allegro.pl/show_item.php?item=19917676

--
Jaroslaw Dubowski, Bytom

8045g tubes Chris Hornbeck Pro Audio 37 September 16th 04 08:29 PM
FS: Selected 12AT7 12AT7WA/6201 6679 Tubes Stephen Marsh Marketplace 0 June 11th 04 01:02 AM
Lots Of Great Audio Tubes For Sale! Jim McShane Marketplace 0 November 21st 03 03:05 PM
Jolida Blowing Tubes Robert Philbeck Vacuum Tubes 8 August 13th 03 04:11 PM
FS: Various tubes Phil Vacuum Tubes 0 July 30th 03 11:24 PM