Richard Galli

Default Help me fit new speakers to Dodge Caravan Wheelchair Van

My son is paralyzed. He has a 2000 Dodge Grand Caravan that was converted to
wheelchair use by stripping out the rear seats and cutting a channel/ramp in
the floor so he can drive his wheelchair in from the rear hatch. He needs
new sound equipment, and his speakers are giving us problems.

1. Please point me to an online source of information (with photos if
possible) showing how to get access to the rear-side-panel and front door
speakers. The rears are especially troublesome.

2. If anyone has actually upgraded a recent Caravan with new speakers, and
they are GREAT, let me know which ones you chose.

3. Of the speakers he has heard, his favorite are Boston Acoustics 6.5
pros, which at 6 1/2 inches are oversize for the door and rear panel
locations. Assuming we ultimately can't make those locations work, please
point me to a vendor who might offer speaker enclosure pods that might
attach to the rear header (ceiling). Because he has to drive in from the
rear, we probably need two separate pods, because a wide unit might not
leave enough headroom in the middle when he drives his chair in.

Because the entire rear floor area is taken for his wheelchair ramp, and the
spair tire and some hydraulic gear is located inside the car, and because we
also have other support cargo to carry, our speaker placement options are
comparatively limited. I don't even want to think about where we are going
to mount the amplifier, but if I can get the speakers sorted out I will find
a place.

Thanks.

--
Best wishes,

Richard Galli

Two books -- not thousands
Just two books worth reading
http://www.gallicentral.com

Sign up for our newsletter
http://www.gallicentral.com/subscribe.htm

Acero Acero is offline
Junior Member

Can you post a picture of your wheelchair? It seems that you need to change the position of your speaker on your wheelchair. I think it is a nice idea to mount them on the sides or at the back to balance the sound effect.

Last edited by Acero : August 25th 10 at 04:36 AM
athurart09 athurart09 is offline
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Behnke View Post
Such a very amazing link!