Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Bret L Bret L is offline

Default A satisfactory turntable

No one offers what I consider a satisfactory turntable and, lacking a
lathe and milling machine, I am unable to build one myself. I keep
hoping someone will make one to my specifications.

What do I want in a turntable?

Belt drive, three point suspension, with both springs and friction or
oil over gas damping.

A good hard bearing, preferably ceramic.

Provision for popular tonearms of various lengths.

An AC motor specially built for turntable service, fully shielded,
operable from AC mains or an electronic supply.

The use of a common belt material for drive, I would prefer either an
O-ring or 1/2" mag tape (one videocassette would be enough belt
material for a lifetime).

The inner platter provided with a magnetic tone ring for speed
sensing with a common sensor.

Provision should be made via puilleys for operation at 45 or 33 rpm
from 50 or 60 hz motor drive with only passive components off the AC
line, and for fully variable operation from 15 to 80+ rpm with a
variable frequency drive.

Provision in the base for a well shielded electronics compartment to
install internal RIAA/preamp to give line level corrected audio out if
desired with a one cable power and one signal cable connection.

Now, Vinyl****ter, can you girls top that? Or will you continue to
defend the high end audio saloon status quo no progress mentality?