Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Jenn Jenn is offline

Default Do you guys ever discuss audio anymore?

In article 1202276637.19220.8.camel@humboldt,
joe cipale wrote:

On Mon, 2008-02-04 at 11:27 -0500, Harry Lavo wrote:
"Jenn" wrote in message

et...
In article
,
Clyde Slick wrote:

On 3 Feb, 11:11, Jenn wrote:
In article ,
"Arny Krueger" wrote:

"joe cipale" wrote in message
On Sat, 2008-02-02 at 18:44 +0000, Jenn wrote:
In article 1201976295.7557.24.camel@humboldt,
joe cipale wrote:

On Sat, 2008-02-02 at 09:56 -0800, Shhhh! I'm Listening
to Reason! wrote:
On Feb 2, 11:14 am, Jenn
wrote:
"Arny Krueger" wrote:

On Feb 1, 7:13 pm, Jenn
wrote:

Between the 3 records: 2 little pops. Great finds.

A measure of how far Jenn's hearing has degraded.

lol Yet another troll.

I don't think it was a troll. I think GOIA heard
*three* little pops, all the way from Michigan.

That's pretty impressive!

They were both Living Stereo, I presume? I have the
orginal Belafonte on LS and the "Return" concert on a
Mobile Fidelity CD. It's great music.

Mobile Fidelity... Haven't heard that label mentioned
in quite some time. I had a number of recordings from
them years ago. Including a Dave Grusin and several
Lincoln Mayorga (w/Amanda McBroom IIRC). Sadly let them
go to help pay for college a few years ago.

You mean Sheffield Labs, don't you?

YES! Thank you Jenn.

Long-lost titles I once had and would kill to recover:
Harry James: Still Harry After All These Years, Coming
From A Good Place.
Amanda McBroom: Growing Up in Hollywood Town
Thelma Houston: I've got the music in me
Lincoln Mayorga: The Missing Linc
Dave Grusin: Discovered Again

Thanks for the refresher and the trip down memory lane.
TIme to check out eBay as I doubt any of these titles
would be found in a used record store here in PDX.

The CD versions sound better, and are generally easy to find.

Now you have to figure out whether its the music you like, or the
ritual
of
playing vinyl.

I disagree. The Sheffield LPs that I have are fantastic records.
"Hollywood Town" and the Leinsdorf LA Phil sessions (one of Prokofiev,
one of Stravinsky/Debussy and one of Wagner) are among the best
sounding
sources I've ever heard outside of live. I was never impressed with
the
CDs. There's one exception, IMO: The Russian sessions sound pretty
much alike to me on both media, and neither are among my favorites.

Your mileage may vary, of course, and folks should listen to the media
that brings the experience of the music in the most satisfying way to
THEM.- Ascunde citatul -

I never thought all that much of the Leinsdorf Sheffields,
both in performance and sound quality.

I think that the Prokofiev is the best performance of that work on
record, and in the top 10 of best sound I've ever heard in my home.
Ditto for sound on the Wagner, but not my favorite performance. The
Stravinsky is less successful on both fronts, IMO.

I've always thought this recording sounded dry and "studio-y". The
performance *is* good, though, although I prefer an earlier (mono)
recording
on Capital by Steinberg/Pittsburgh Symphony.

Never cared for Lincoln Mayorga, but Amanda McBroom's singing is absolutely
first rate, as is the sound.

And the Harry James recordings are simply not duplicable.

These Sheffields and others still have pride of place in the "audiophile"
section of my music shelves.

The likes of Maria Carey, Jen Lopez, et. al. can and should take lessons
from Amanda McBroom.

Indeed.

She (still) has a gorgeous set of pipes!

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Schizoid Man[_2_] Schizoid Man[_2_] is offline

Soundhaspriority wrote:

Hi, TT. It does seem that aus.hifi is a bit more on target than this
primarily U.S. group, but that's to be expected from a superpower in decline

It is only in decline because of the weakness of the American electorate.

After 8 years at the helm of the ship, George W Bush, the harbinger of
freedom, democracy and spiritual purity will cease to be the leader of
the Free World.

To call it a catastrophe for Western Civilization is a euphemism.

Who will be our collective moral compass in these bleak times? I mourn
the loss of our steward.