Posted to rec.audio.opinion
TT TT is offline

Default Do you guys ever discuss audio anymore?

"Arny Krueger" wrote in message
. ..
: "TT" wrote in message
:
: "Arny Krueger" wrote in message
: ...
:
:
: Now you have to figure out whether its the music you
: like, or the ritual of playing vinyl.
:
: It is possible to have both. I'm assuming that you
would
: not even consider that possibilty.
:
: Why transcribe an LP, when you already have the CD?
:
Who was talking about transcribing LPs to CD??? I said it
is possible that you can enjoy the ritual of playing vinyl
and at the same time enjoy the music from it.

TT

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Jenn Jenn is offline

In article
,
Clyde Slick wrote:

On 3 Feb, 11:11, Jenn wrote:
In article ,
*"Arny Krueger" wrote:

"joe cipale" wrote in message
On Sat, 2008-02-02 at 18:44 +0000, Jenn wrote:
In article 1201976295.7557.24.camel@humboldt,
*joe cipale wrote:

On Sat, 2008-02-02 at 09:56 -0800, Shhhh! I'm Listening
to Reason! wrote:
On Feb 2, 11:14 am, Jenn
wrote:
*"Arny Krueger" wrote:

On Feb 1, 7:13 pm, Jenn
wrote:

Between the 3 records: 2 little pops. *Great finds.

A measure of how far Jenn's hearing has degraded.

lol Yet another troll.

I don't think it was a troll. I think GOIA heard
*three* little pops, all the way from Michigan.

That's pretty impressive!

They were both Living Stereo, I presume? I have the
orginal Belafonte on LS and the "Return" concert on a
Mobile Fidelity CD. It's great music.

Mobile Fidelity... Haven't heard that label mentioned
in quite some time. I had a number of recordings from
them years ago. Including a Dave Grusin and several
Lincoln Mayorga (w/Amanda McBroom IIRC). Sadly let them
go to help pay for college a few years ago.

You mean Sheffield Labs, don't you?

YES! Thank you Jenn.

Long-lost titles I once had and would kill to recover:
Harry James: Still Harry After All These Years, Coming
From A Good Place.
Amanda McBroom: Growing Up in Hollywood Town
Thelma Houston: I've got the music in me
Lincoln Mayorga: The Missing Linc
Dave Grusin: Discovered Again

Thanks for the refresher and the trip down memory lane.
TIme to check out eBay as I doubt any of these titles
would be found in a used record store here in PDX.

The CD versions sound better, and are generally easy to find.

Now you have to figure out whether its the music you like, or the ritual
of
playing vinyl.

I disagree. *The Sheffield LPs that I have are fantastic records. *
"Hollywood Town" and the Leinsdorf LA Phil sessions (one of Prokofiev,
one of Stravinsky/Debussy and one of Wagner) are among the best sounding
sources I've ever heard outside of live. *I was never impressed with the
CDs. *There's one exception, IMO: *The Russian sessions sound pretty
much alike to me on both media, and neither are among my favorites.

Your mileage may vary, of course, and folks should listen to the media
that brings the experience of the music in the most satisfying way to
THEM.- Ascunde citatul -

I never thought all that much of the Leinsdorf Sheffields,
both in performance and sound quality.

I think that the Prokofiev is the best performance of that work on
record, and in the top 10 of best sound I've ever heard in my home.
Ditto for sound on the Wagner, but not my favorite performance. The
Stravinsky is less successful on both fronts, IMO.
Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Clyde Slick Clyde Slick is offline

On 3 Feb, 19:52, Jenn wrote:
In article
,
*Clyde Slick wrote:

On 3 Feb, 11:11, Jenn wrote:

*joe cipale wrote:

On Sat, 2008-02-02 at 09:56 -0800, Shhhh! I'm Listening
to Reason! wrote:
On Feb 2, 11:14 am, Jenn
wrote:
*"Arny Krueger" wrote:

On Feb 1, 7:13 pm, Jenn
wrote:

Between the 3 records: 2 little pops. *Great finds.

A measure of how far Jenn's hearing has degraded.

lol Yet another troll.

I don't think it was a troll. I think GOIA heard
*three* little pops, all the way from Michigan.

That's pretty impressive!

They were both Living Stereo, I presume? I have the
orginal Belafonte on LS and the "Return" concert on a
Mobile Fidelity CD. It's great music.

Mobile Fidelity... Haven't heard that label mentioned
in quite some time. I had a number of recordings from
them years ago. Including a Dave Grusin and several
Lincoln Mayorga (w/Amanda McBroom IIRC). Sadly let them
go to help pay for college a few years ago.

You mean Sheffield Labs, don't you?

YES! Thank you Jenn.

Long-lost titles I once had and would kill to recover:
Harry James: Still Harry After All These Years, Coming
From A Good Place.
[...]

Stravinsky is less successful on both fronts, IMO.- Ascunde citatul -

\

"At least" you can disagree with me without fear that I will accuse
you
of admitting to sucking doggie balls (with or without cheese).

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Jenn Jenn is offline

In article
,
Clyde Slick wrote:

On 3 Feb, 19:52, Jenn wrote:
In article
,
*Clyde Slick wrote:

On 3 Feb, 11:11, Jenn wrote:

*joe cipale wrote:

On Sat, 2008-02-02 at 09:56 -0800, Shhhh! I'm Listening
to Reason! wrote:
On Feb 2, 11:14 am, Jenn
wrote:
*"Arny Krueger" wrote:

On Feb 1, 7:13 pm, Jenn
wrote:

Between the 3 records: 2 little pops. *Great finds.

A measure of how far Jenn's hearing has degraded.

lol Yet another troll.

I don't think it was a troll. I think GOIA heard
*three* little pops, all the way from Michigan.

That's pretty impressive!

They were both Living Stereo, I presume? I have the
orginal Belafonte on LS and the "Return" concert on a
Mobile Fidelity CD. It's great music.

Mobile Fidelity... Haven't heard that label mentioned
in quite some time. I had a number of recordings from
them years ago. Including a Dave Grusin and several
Lincoln Mayorga (w/Amanda McBroom IIRC). Sadly let them
go to help pay for college a few years ago.

You mean Sheffield Labs, don't you?

YES! Thank you Jenn.

Long-lost titles I once had and would kill to recover:
Harry James: Still Harry After All These Years, Coming
From A Good Place.
[...]

Absolutely true. Or lying, note.
Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Arny Krueger Arny Krueger is offline

"TT" wrote in message

"Arny Krueger" wrote in message

Now you have to figure out whether its the music you
like, or the ritual of playing vinyl.

It is possible to have both. I'm assuming that you
would not even consider that possibilty.

Why transcribe an LP, when you already have the CD?

Who was talking about transcribing LPs to CD??? I said it
is possible that you can enjoy the ritual of playing vinyl
and at the same time enjoy the music from it.

You call that cloud of noise and distortion that is an inherent part of the
LP *music*?

LOL!

Posted to rec.audio.opinion

*joe cipale wrote:

On Sat, 2008-02-02 at 09:56 -0800, Shhhh! I'm Listening
to Reason! wrote:
On Feb 2, 11:14 am, Jenn
wrote:
*"Arny Krueger" wrote:

On Feb 1, 7:13 pm, Jenn
wrote:

Between the 3 records: 2 little pops. *Great finds.

A measure of how far Jenn's hearing has degraded.

lol Yet another troll.

I don't think it was a troll. I think GOIA heard
*three* little pops, all the way from Michigan.

That's pretty impressive!

They were both Living Stereo, I presume? I have the
orginal Belafonte on LS and the "Return" concert on a
Mobile Fidelity CD. It's great music.

Mobile Fidelity... Haven't heard that label mentioned
in quite some time. I had a number of recordings from
them years ago. Including a Dave Grusin and several
Lincoln Mayorga (w/Amanda McBroom IIRC). Sadly let them
go to help pay for college a few years ago.

You mean Sheffield Labs, don't you?

YES! Thank you Jenn.

Long-lost titles I once had and would kill to recover:
Harry James: Still Harry After All These Years, Coming
From A Good Place.
Amanda McBroom: Growing Up in Hollywood Town
Thelma Houston: I've got the music in me
Lincoln Mayorga: The Missing Linc
Dave Grusin: Discovered Again

Thanks for the refresher and the trip down memory lane.
TIme to check out eBay as I doubt any of these titles
would be found in a used record store here in PDX.

The CD versions sound better

To you...

, and are generally easy to find.

Now you have to figure out whether its the music you like, or the ritual of
playing vinyl.

Have you ever considered that some people may disagree with you?

You'll have to ask "the kid" about snot.
Posted to rec.audio.opinion

On Feb 3, 3:45*pm, "Arny Krueger" wrote:
"joe cipale" wrote in message

On Sun, 2008-02-03 at 14:18 -0500, Arny Krueger wrote:
"TT" wrote in message

"Arny Krueger" wrote in message

Now you have to figure out whether its the music you
like, or the ritual of playing vinyl.

It is possible to have both. *I'm assuming that you
would not even consider that possibilty.

Why transcribe an LP, when you already have the CD?

For some reason... duping a CD from a Sund-to-vinyl
source seems to me no better then the current
poor-quality CDs that are being manufactured already.

You make it sound like all currently-manufactured CDs have quality problems.
Of course they don't.

*I understand rabid vinyl bigots saying such things over and over again,
because after all they will tell any lie in the interest of forcing vinyl
down our throats.

Just like all those 20-year-olds "lie" about their MP3 players being
"good enough" for them.

I sure hate having poor-quality MP3s being lied about and "shoved down
my throat".
Posted to rec.audio.opinion

On Feb 3, 7:30*pm, Clyde Slick wrote:

"At least" you can disagree with me without fear that I will accuse
you
of admitting to sucking doggie balls (with or without cheese).

2pid amitted to it. Bratzi said so with no prompting whatsoever.
Posted to rec.audio.opinion
TT TT is offline

"Arny Krueger" wrote in message
. ..
: "TT" wrote in message
:
: "Arny Krueger" wrote in message
: . ..
: "TT" wrote in message
:
[...]
There are several people here that will beg to differ - me
included.

TT

Posted to rec.audio.opinion

On Feb 3, 10:01*am, joe cipale wrote:
On Sat, 2008-02-02 at 11:56 -0800, Shhhh! I'm Listening to Reason!
wrote:

On Feb 2, 12:56 pm, joe cipale wrote:
On Sat, 2008-02-02 at 18:44 +0000, Jenn wrote:

You mean Sheffield Labs, don't you?

YES! Thank you Jenn.

Long-lost titles I once had and would kill to recover:
Harry James: Still Harry After All These Years, Coming From A Good
Place.

I have King James Version and a Prokofiev/Leinsdorf from Sheffield.
Their catalog was a bit thin IMO, but they do sound good.

the King James release went out of print before I could buy a copy.
This was WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY before the days of CL and/or eBay,
(1979).

I bought mine used a couple of years ago. I think you could find a
nice copy if you looked, regardless if whether or not GOIA thinks you
should...:-)

Posted to rec.audio.opinion

"TT" wrote in message

"Arny Krueger" wrote in message

Now you have to figure out whether its the music you
like, or the ritual of playing vinyl.

It is possible to have both. I'm assuming that you
would not even consider that possibilty.

Why transcribe an LP, when you already have the CD?

Who was talking about transcribing LPs to CD??? I said
it is possible that you can enjoy the ritual of playing
vinyl and at the same time enjoy the music from it.

You call that cloud of noise and distortion that is an
inherent part of the LP *music*?

LOL!

There are several people here that will beg to differ - me
included.

Differ about whether or not the noise and distortion exists?

Or do you differ and think that the noise and distortion is music?

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
joe cipale joe cipale is offline

"TT" wrote in message

"Arny Krueger" wrote in message

Now you have to figure out whether its the music you
like, or the ritual of playing vinyl.

It is possible to have both. I'm assuming that you
would not even consider that possibilty.

Why transcribe an LP, when you already have the CD?

For some reason... duping a CD from a Sund-to-vinyl
source seems to me no better then the current
poor-quality CDs that are being manufactured already.

You make it sound like all currently-manufactured CDs have quality problems.
Of course they don't.

I understand rabid vinyl bigots saying such things over and over again,
because after all they will tell any lie in the interest of forcing vinyl
down our throats.

Please... do me, yourself, and the rest of us a favor and stop reading
things into my posts that are not there. I have many CDs and many vinyl
recordings. I am not nor do I portend to be a bigot of any sort. Other
than ignoring the rants of jackasses.

Posted to rec.audio.opinion

On Feb 3, 9:10*pm, "Arny Krueger" wrote:
"TT" wrote in message

There are several people here that will beg to differ - me
included.

Differ about whether or not the noise and distortion exists?

Nope.

Or do you differ and think that the noise and distortion is music?

I don't think it necessarily detracts from an enjoyable musical
experience. Researchers who study audio seem to agree with me.

So what kind of music have you been listening to recently, GOIA?
Posted to rec.audio.opinion
TT TT is offline

"TT" wrote in message

There are several people here that will beg to differ -
me
included.

Differ about whether or not the noise and distortion
exists?

Nope.

Or do you differ and think that the noise and distortion
is music?

I don't think it necessarily detracts from an enjoyable
musical
experience. Researchers who study audio seem to agree with
me.

So what kind of music have you been listening to recently,
GOIA?

Only test tones ;-) Although he did have that real hit
recording of "Keys gangling" a while ago.

Cheers TT

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
George M. Middius George M. Middius is offline

joe cipale said to The Big ****:

I understand rabid vinyl bigots saying such things over and over again,
because after all they will tell any lie in the interest of forcing vinyl
down our throats.

Please... do me, yourself, and the rest of us a favor and stop reading
things into my posts that are not there.

Excuse me, but why do you believe you're entitled to special treatment
from the Krooborg?

I have many CDs and many vinyl
recordings. I am not nor do I portend to be a bigot of any sort.

Irrelavant™. Turdborg awards the coveted "vinyl bigot" label to any Normal
who doesn't condemn the hated vinyl medium frequently, vociferously,
obstreperously, and with extreme and irrational prejudice.

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
George M. Middius George M. Middius is offline

Bratzi turns on his erstwhile role model.

A measure of how far Jenn's hearing has degraded.

Odds are her hearing is better than yours.

Well, naturally. Krooger's ears are stuffed with turds.

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Clyde Slick Clyde Slick is offline

On 3 Feb, 20:46, "Shhhh! I'm Listening to Reason!"
wrote:
On Feb 3, 7:30*pm, Clyde Slick wrote:

"At least" you can disagree with me without fear that I will accuse
you
of admitting to sucking doggie balls (with or without cheese).

2pid amitted to it. Bratzi said so with no prompting whatsoever.

there ya go agin.
it males you look really smart and way cool.
Posted to rec.audio.opinion

Clyde Slick said:

of admitting to sucking doggie balls (with or without cheese).

2pid amitted to it. Bratzi said so with no prompting whatsoever.

there ya go agin.
it males you look really smart and way cool.

Um, Clyde, Scottie *did* say it. You're in denial, like totally.

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Clyde Slick Clyde Slick is offline

On 3 Feb, 23:48, George M. Middius cmndr _ george @ comcast . net
wrote:
Clyde Slick said:

of admitting to sucking doggie balls (with or without cheese).

2pid amitted to it. Bratzi said so with no prompting whatsoever.

there ya go agin.
it males you look really smart and way cool.

Um, Clyde, Scottie *did* say it. You're in denial, like totally.

"I lick doggie balls"
good, now you and Shhhh! can act stupid towards me.
I haven't decided about the cheese yet.
Posted to rec.audio.opinion

Clyde Slick said:

Um, Clyde, Scottie *did* say it. You're in denial, like totally.

"I lick doggie balls"

Yes, that's pretty much an accurate quote.

good, now you and Shhhh! can act stupid towards me.
I haven't decided about the cheese yet.

Bratzi will be thrilled to hear that.

Posted to rec.audio.opinion

wrote:

Um, Clyde, Scottie *did* say it. You're in denial, like totally.

"I lick doggie balls"
good, now you and Shhhh! can act stupid towards me.
I haven't decided about the cheese yet.

I suppose *acting* stupid is better than *being* stupid.

You can, of course, be friends with whomever you want to.

Posted to rec.audio.opinion

"joe cipale" wrote in message

Why transcribe an LP, when you already have the CD?

For some reason... duping a CD from a Sund-to-vinyl
source seems to me no better then the current
poor-quality CDs that are being manufactured already.

You make it sound like all currently-manufactured CDs
have quality problems. Of course they don't.

I understand rabid vinyl bigots saying such things over
and over again, because after all they will tell any lie
in the interest of forcing vinyl down our throats.

Please... do me, yourself, and the rest of us a favor and
stop reading things into my posts that are not there.

But it was there.

I have many CDs and many vinyl recordings.

I have many CDs and vinyl recordings. So what?

I am not nor do I portend to be a bigot of any sort.

Ever see a bigot admit to it?

Other than ignoring the rants of jackasses.

Meaning what?

Posted to rec.audio.opinion

Default GOIA caught red-handed...again

"joe cipale" wrote in message

Please... do me, yourself, and the rest of us a favor and
stop reading things into my posts that are not there.

But it was there.

GOIA, Defender of Digital! He'll even lie to defend it!

I have many CDs and many vinyl recordings.

I have many CDs and vinyl recordings. So what?

So some people can listen to and enjoy both. You can't.

BTW, you're lying. You claimed you sold your LPs off, along with your
turntable:

"I sold my Thorens/SME setup along with all my vinyl. By getting into
digital ahead of the wave I got pretty good money for it."

Why are you lying, GOIA? What would your pastor say about that?

I am not nor do I portend to be a bigot of any sort.

Ever see a bigot admit to it?

"You are a bigot."

"No I'm not."

"Have you ever seen a bigot admit it? Therefore, you're a bigot."

LOL! I thought you said you understood logic, GOIA. But then again,
you're a proven liar. I just proved it. ;-)

You remind me of the scene in "Life of Brian" where Brian tries to
deny being the Messiah. Some guy quotes the scripture and says "It is
prophesied that the true Messiah will deny that he is." Brian says,
"OK, I am the Messiah." Everybody says, "He IS the Messiah!"

Other than ignoring *the rants of jackasses.

Meaning what?

That you're an ignorant jackass? And that he's going to ignore you?

And you're a liar.
Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Harry Lavo Harry Lavo is offline

"Jenn" wrote in message
In article
,
Clyde Slick wrote:

On 3 Feb, 11:11, Jenn wrote:

joe cipale wrote:

On Sat, 2008-02-02 at 09:56 -0800, Shhhh! I'm Listening
to Reason! wrote:
On Feb 2, 11:14 am, Jenn
wrote:
"Arny Krueger" wrote:

On Feb 1, 7:13 pm, Jenn
wrote:

Between the 3 records: 2 little pops. Great finds.

A measure of how far Jenn's hearing has degraded.

lol Yet another troll.

I don't think it was a troll. I think GOIA heard
*three* little pops, all the way from Michigan.

That's pretty impressive!

They were both Living Stereo, I presume? I have the
orginal Belafonte on LS and the "Return" concert on a
Mobile Fidelity CD. It's great music.

Mobile Fidelity... Haven't heard that label mentioned
in quite some time. I had a number of recordings from
them years ago. Including a Dave Grusin and several
Lincoln Mayorga (w/Amanda McBroom IIRC). Sadly let them
go to help pay for college a few years ago.

You mean Sheffield Labs, don't you?

YES! Thank you Jenn.

Long-lost titles I once had and would kill to recover:
Harry James: Still Harry After All These Years, Coming
From A Good Place.
[...]

I've always thought this recording sounded dry and "studio-y". The
performance *is* good, though, although I prefer an earlier (mono) recording
on Capital by Steinberg/Pittsburgh Symphony.

Never cared for Lincoln Mayorga, but Amanda McBroom's singing is absolutely
first rate, as is the sound.

And the Harry James recordings are simply not duplicable.

These Sheffields and others still have pride of place in the "audiophile"
section of my music shelves.

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Jenn Jenn is offline

In article
,

wrote:

Clyde Slick said:

of admitting to sucking doggie balls (with or without cheese).

2pid amitted to it. Bratzi said so with no prompting whatsoever.
there ya go agin.
it males you look really smart and way cool.

Um, Clyde, Scottie *did* say it. You're in denial, like totally.

"I lick doggie balls"
good, now you and Shhhh! can act stupid towards me.

Lol... For the record....
ssshhhhtard said, "have you stopped....."
I said, "Can't stop what I never started".

Of course the kiddies like to truncate their brains
and this is what we get.

ScottW

I haven't decided about the cheese yet.

Try hot cheese whiz...

Eeuuuuuuuuu!

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
George M. Middius George M. Middius is offline

Yapper lied:

ssshhhhtard said, "have you stopped....."
I said, "Can't stop what I never started".

Lie.

Posted to rec.audio.opinion

wrote:

Clyde Slick said:

of admitting to sucking doggie balls (with or without cheese).

2pid amitted to it. Bratzi said so with no prompting whatsoever.
there ya go agin.
it males you look really smart and way cool.

Um, Clyde, Scottie *did* say it. You're in denial, like totally.

"I lick doggie balls"
good, now you and Shhhh! can act stupid towards me.

Lol... For the record....

Your record needs a cleaning. The fidelity is way off.

ssshhhhtard said, "have you stopped....."
I said, "Can't stop what I never started".

You said "No". For the record.

Of course the kiddies like to truncate their brains
and this is what we get.

Ah, yes, 2pid. You are the epitome of sensibility, morality and
maturity. LOL!

I haven't decided about the cheese yet.

*Try hot cheese whiz...

Is that what all the "professional" ball-lickers use, 2pid? I thought
you just tried to deny...

Never mind. You'll just try to deny you said it...again.

LOL!
Posted to rec.audio.opinion

On Feb 4, 12:42*pm, George M. Middius cmndr _ george @ comcast .
net wrote:
Yapper lied:

ssshhhhtard said, "have you stopped....."
I said, "Can't stop what I never started".

Lie.

And now 2pid admits to ball-licking...again.

Me: "Bratzi asked a man to lick the cheese off his balls with no
prompting."

Clyde: "I haven't decided about the cheese yet."

2pid: "Try hot Cheese Whiz."

Ah, our dear 2pid. He's apparently switched from ass-lickings to ball-
lickings. Perhaps he should 'discuss' the pros and cons of each.

lol Lol LoL lOl LOL!
Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Eeyore Eeyore is offline

TT wrote:

Header says it all!

I agree.

Please note: There are some people in the World that really have very little
interest in US internal politics.

BTW Arny please keep quiet. Yes I know all amplifiers sound the same, CD is
perfect and the World's best CD player is the Sony CDP101 and I'm a kook for
playing vinyl and your opinion of me is very low ;-) Sigh............

The CP101 was bad even at the time !

Graham

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
TT TT is offline

"Eeyore" wrote in message

TT wrote:

Header says it all!

I agree.

Please note: There are some people in the World that really have very
little
interest in US internal politics.

BTW Arny please keep quiet. Yes I know all amplifiers sound the same, CD
is
perfect and the World's best CD player is the Sony CDP101 and I'm a kook
for
playing vinyl and your opinion of me is very low ;-) Sigh............

The CP101 was bad even at the time !

Graham

Yep, with it's single shared DAC for L + R channels. There is a certain
person that haunts these groups that states on his website that it is a
"very good" machine. BTW he also hates vinyl and SACD/DVD-A and says CD is
perfect forever and you will never guess who this mild mannered person is
;-)

Cheers TT

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Arny Krueger Arny Krueger is offline

"Eeyore" wrote in
message
TT wrote:

Header says it all!

I agree.

Please note: There are some people in the World that
really have very little interest in US internal politics.

BTW Arny please keep quiet. Yes I know all amplifiers
sound the same, CD is perfect and the World's best CD
player is the Sony CDP101 and I'm a kook for playing
vinyl and your opinion of me is very low ;-)
Sigh............

The CP101 was bad even at the time !

Bad compared to what?

Compared to vinyl? No.

Compared to tape? No.

Fact is that the CDP 101 would not pass a straight wire bypass test with
*any* program material, like a good modern player. People had a pretty easy
time picking it out with pink noise, white noise, and certain choral music.
But, it would pass a straight wire bypass test with most music.

Compared to the best vinyl playback systems of that day or this, the CDP 101
was brilliant.

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Arny Krueger Arny Krueger is offline

"TT" wrote in message

"Eeyore" wrote

Yep, with it's single shared DAC for L + R channels.

A cost-cutting move that has been used up until recently. You aren't going
to hear its effects unless you have an electrically-summed center channel,
and pick your music for testing very carefully.

There is a certain person that haunts these groups that
states on his website that it is a "very good" machine.

Unlike the air head subjectivists, I even define what I mean by "very good".

BTW he also hates vinyl and SACD/DVD-A

Whats to hate? They are dead meat. A jillion golden ears couldn't save them.

and says CD is perfect

Nope. But a good CD player can pass a straight wire bypass test with any
program material, music or not.

forever

That's hype. Good for misleading small boys and visiting firemen. Which
category are you in, TT?

and you will never guess who this mild mannered person is ;-)

Unlike you TT, it is someone who listens with his ears, not his eyes.

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Eeyore Eeyore is offline

Arny Krueger wrote:

"TT" wrote
"Eeyore" wrote

Yep, with it's single shared DAC for L + R channels.

A cost-cutting move that has been used up until recently.

Eh ?

My Denon DCD1700 ? from 1989 had individual DACs IIRC.

Graham

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Eeyore Eeyore is offline

Arny Krueger wrote:

"Eeyore" wrote
TT wrote:

Header says it all!

I agree.

Please note: There are some people in the World that
really have very little interest in US internal politics.

BTW Arny please keep quiet. Yes I know all amplifiers
sound the same, CD is perfect and the World's best CD
player is the Sony CDP101 and I'm a kook for playing
vinyl and your opinion of me is very low ;-)
Sigh............

The CP101 was bad even at the time !

Bad compared to what?

Compared to vinyl? No.

It would truncate reverb tails compared to vinyl.

I could CLEARLY HEAR the difference.

Graham

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Eeyore Eeyore is offline

Arny Krueger wrote:

Fact is that the CDP 101 would not pass a straight wire bypass test with
*any* program material, like a good modern player.

Try it with a -80 signal.

Graham

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Arny Krueger Arny Krueger is offline

"Eeyore" wrote in
message
Arny Krueger wrote:

"TT" wrote
"Eeyore" wrote

Yep, with it's single shared DAC for L + R channels.

A cost-cutting move that has been used up until recently.

Eh ?

My Denon DCD1700 ? from 1989 had individual DACs IIRC.

Right - shared DACs have definately fallen out of favor in the mainstream,
but up until lately you could occasionally find them used in very, very
cheap players, cheap pc sound cards, etc.

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Arny Krueger Arny Krueger is offline

"Eeyore" wrote in
message
Arny Krueger wrote:

"Eeyore" wrote
TT wrote:

Header says it all!

I agree.

Please note: There are some people in the World that
really have very little interest in US internal
politics.

BTW Arny please keep quiet. Yes I know all amplifiers
sound the same, CD is perfect and the World's best CD
player is the Sony CDP101 and I'm a kook for playing
vinyl and your opinion of me is very low ;-)
Sigh............

The CP101 was bad even at the time !

Bad compared to what?

Compared to vinyl? No.

It would truncate reverb tails compared to vinyl.

Never saw that happen, but I obviously never listened to very CDP101.

One possibility is that the CDP 101 you auditioned was broken. Perhaps the
CDP 101 under test was broken in a certain way that was pretty much unique
to the CDP 101.

While much has been made of the CDP 101 DAC being shared between the
channels, not much has been said about the fact that the DAC was also shared
in the amplitude domain. As I recall, the CDP 101 DAC had only 8 bits.

The CDP 101 8 bit DAC was run twice for every channel sample, with the
analog scaling changed in-between. As previously mentioned the CDP 101 DAC
was run through this sequence twice for every set of stereo sample, once for
each channel. So, the CDP 101 8 bit DAC was run through 4 conversions for
every recorded set of stereo samples.

I forget the order, but for discussion lets say that first the high order 8
bits were loaded into the DAC chip and the resulting analog voltage related
to that was gated into the analog buffer and held, and then the low order 8
bits were loaded into the DAC and the and the resulting analog voltage was
scaled by 256 and gated into the analog buffer and summed to the voltage
from the high order bits.

Obviously, this process has a unique set of failure modes where one one
half of the data word was converted, but the other half was not converted.
If you convert only the high order 8 bits, you end up with only about 55 dB
dynamic range, which could indeed audibly truncate reverb tails.

Scaling in the DAC were a feature of another early piece of digital gear
with a checkered history - the 3M digital recorder. It worked well enought
was in good shape, but it could break and fall out of adjustment in ways
that are very unfamiliar in modern times.

In modern times, DACs need not have any adjustments at all, and when they
break in almost any way they are totally broken. They go dead.

When working right, the CDP 101 has good dynamic range, as

http://www.pcavtech.com/play-rec/Sony_CDP-101/index.htm

shows. This particular player is guaranteed not to audibly or measureably
truncate reverb tails.

I could CLEARLY HEAR the difference.

What is unsure is whether the CDP 101 being auditioned was in good operating
condtition at the time.

Posted to rec.audio.opinion

Arny Krueger wrote:

Fact is that the CDP 101 would not pass a straight wire
bypass test with *any* program material, like a good
modern player.

Try it with a -80 signal.

Look he

http://www.pcavtech.com/play-rec/Sony_CDP-101/index.htm

The dynamic range test is done with a -60 dB signal, but notice that the -60
dB signal passes wtih the largest harmonic more than 100 dB down.

http://www.pcavtech.com/play-rec/Son...1/DR_DA_FS.gif

Posted to rec.audio.opinion

"joe cipale" wrote in message

Why transcribe an LP, when you already have the CD?

For some reason... duping a CD from a Sund-to-vinyl
source seems to me no better then the current
poor-quality CDs that are being manufactured already.

You make it sound like all currently-manufactured CDs
have quality problems. Of course they don't.

I understand rabid vinyl bigots saying such things over
and over again, because after all they will tell any lie
in the interest of forcing vinyl down our throats.

Please... do me, yourself, and the rest of us a favor and
stop reading things into my posts that are not there.

But it was there.

I have many CDs and many vinyl recordings.

I have many CDs and vinyl recordings. So what?

I am not nor do I portend to be a bigot of any sort.

Ever see a bigot admit to it?

Other than ignoring the rants of jackasses.

Meaning what?

that you are a jackass... now THAT you can read into.

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
joe cipale joe cipale is offline

On Mon, 2008-02-04 at 11:27 -0500, Harry Lavo wrote:
"Jenn" wrote in message
In article
,
Clyde Slick wrote:

On 3 Feb, 11:11, Jenn wrote:

joe cipale wrote:

On Sat, 2008-02-02 at 09:56 -0800, Shhhh! I'm Listening
to Reason! wrote:
On Feb 2, 11:14 am, Jenn
wrote:
"Arny Krueger" wrote:

On Feb 1, 7:13 pm, Jenn
wrote:

Between the 3 records: 2 little pops. Great finds.

A measure of how far Jenn's hearing has degraded.

lol Yet another troll.

I don't think it was a troll. I think GOIA heard
*three* little pops, all the way from Michigan.

That's pretty impressive!

They were both Living Stereo, I presume? I have the
orginal Belafonte on LS and the "Return" concert on a
Mobile Fidelity CD. It's great music.

Mobile Fidelity... Haven't heard that label mentioned
in quite some time. I had a number of recordings from
them years ago. Including a Dave Grusin and several
Lincoln Mayorga (w/Amanda McBroom IIRC). Sadly let them
go to help pay for college a few years ago.

You mean Sheffield Labs, don't you?

YES! Thank you Jenn.

Long-lost titles I once had and would kill to recover:
Harry James: Still Harry After All These Years, Coming
From A Good Place.
[...]

The likes of Maria Carey, Jen Lopez, et. al. can and should take lessons
from Amanda McBroom. She (still) has a gorgeous set of pipes!