Posted to rec.audio.opinion
xxxxxx xxxxxx is offline

Default speakers has anyone heard these??

http://www.theaudioinsider.com/produ...d28f98c30133d6

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
bassett[_2_] bassett[_2_] is offline

"xxxxxx" wrote in message

http://www.theaudioinsider.com/produ...d28f98c30133d6

There junk plain and simply or put another way , they would be contenders
for the White van salesman
even at the full price of $1049 there rubbish, and for that money they
can't be anything else, then there discounted down to $549. Ask yourself
what sort of quality hardware can you get for that sort of money.

I liked the bit about the cabinets quote, this is why we suggest that a
Diva cabinet is built not unlike a fine wooden yacht. The final 5.1BC
enclosure is finished in economizing PVC simulated wood. unquote.
So don't leave them near a window that gets a lot of sun or the bloody
things will peel.

It all comes down to "you get what you pay for. PAY PEANUTS GET MONKEYS"

a..

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
George M. Middius George M. Middius is offline

Default White Van redux

Soundhaspriority said:

It does sound exactly like the White Van stuff. The shipping weight is 72
lbs for the pair. That means that each speaker weighs around 30 lbs. This is
featherweight. It's impossible to make an inert cabinet that light.

Oh really?
http://www.bytesizedreviews.com/index.php?rev_id=39

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Eeyore Eeyore is offline

Soundhaspriority wrote:

"George M. Middius" wrote
Soundhaspriority said:

It does sound exactly like the White Van stuff. The shipping weight is 72
lbs for the pair. That means that each speaker weighs around 30 lbs. This
is featherweight. It's impossible to make an inert cabinet that light.

Oh really?
http://www.bytesizedreviews.com/index.php?rev_id=39

They're fleecing you

Just my intuition, since I'm not a speaker designer, but I get the
impression that the sound pressures inside a speaker cabinet, at mid-bass
and below, require very dense material. MDF is actually said to be better
than plywood, because it's denser.

It has nothing to do with pressure. That's barely a consideration at all. Wht
you need for agood speaker cabinet is panels that don't resonate. Acousticallt
dead materials are required for that and MDF is pretty effective in that regard.

The stuff you mention above is a sound
absorber, but I don't think it can achieve the inertification of a speaker
cabinet by itself.

It will help stop internal reflections which is another matter entirely. It's
clearly not designed for that job though.

With only a very few exceptions, descriptions of speaker anatomy I've seen
describe the cabinet in terms of eithe MDF, or more sophisticated
composites, but the layers are very dense.

My cabinets use 1 1/2" thick MDF in places

Graham

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
George M. Middius George M. Middius is offline

The Idiot demonstrates his world-class ignorance.

propogate

You still haven't answered the question I've been asking for years,
Witless: Why aren't you ashamed of yourself?

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Trevor Wilson[_2_] Trevor Wilson[_2_] is offline

Soundhaspriority wrote:
"George M. Middius" cmndr _ george @ comcast . net wrote in message

Soundhaspriority said:

It does sound exactly like the White Van stuff. The shipping weight is 72
lbs for the pair. That means that each speaker weighs around 30 lbs. This
is
featherweight. It's impossible to make an inert cabinet that light.

Oh really?
http://www.bytesizedreviews.com/index.php?rev_id=39

They're fleecing you

Just my intuition, since I'm not a speaker designer, but I get the
impression that the sound pressures inside a speaker cabinet, at mid-bass
and below, require very dense material. MDF is actually said to be better
than plywood, because it's denser. The stuff you mention above is a sound
absorber, but I don't think it can achieve the inertification of a speaker
cabinet by itself.

**"Inertification"? Nice. Points:

* "Pressure" is rarely an issue.
* Vibration reduction is the key.

Many years ago, Celestion with it's SL600 speaker system showed that
heavy cabinets were not necessary for good reporduction. They used stuff
called "Aerolam". Very light, very rigid and very non-resonant. The
advantage of a low mass cabinet material is that if it does start to
resonate, then it is easy to stop it from doing so. Heavy material
require more damping.

With only a very few exceptions, descriptions of speaker anatomy I've seen
describe the cabinet in terms of eithe MDF, or more sophisticated
composites, but the layers are very dense.

**Indeed. Composites are my favourites. So-called 'constrained layer'
construction works very well. Something like a laminated car windscreen,
where you have two rigid layers, separated by a 'squishy' layer. The
squishy layer dissipates (theoretically) any vibration. I proved the
theory to myself back in the early 1970s. I built some T-line enclosures
(from Bailey designs) out of 3/4" chipboard. I used them for about a
year and was happy. I then decided it was time to make them look nice,
so I glued laminate to them. The sound improvement was astonishing and
completely unexpected.

I use something like the "fleece" in my computer cabinets. It's a composite
of two different density foams. It seems to take the edge off.

**I like sheep's wool, but it is expensive. Far more absorbent than
man-made fibres.

Trevor Wilson

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
dizzy dizzy is offline

Soundhaspriority wrote:

Just my intuition, since I'm not a speaker designer, but I get the
impression that the sound pressures inside a speaker cabinet, at mid-bass
and below, require very dense material. MDF is actually said to be better
than plywood, because it's denser.

Wow! Actually better than *plywood*! That's really saying something!

Idiot.

Posted to rec.audio.opinion

dippy said:

MDF is actually said to be better
than plywood, because it's denser.

Wow! Actually better than *plywood*! That's really saying something!

Idle question: Are you planning to donate your skull to science after ...
you know?

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Eeyore Eeyore is offline

dizzy wrote:

Soundhaspriority wrote:

Just my intuition, since I'm not a speaker designer, but I get the
impression that the sound pressures inside a speaker cabinet, at mid-bass
and below, require very dense material. MDF is actually said to be better
than plywood, because it's denser.

Wow! Actually better than *plywood*! That's really saying something!

Idiot.

What's idiotic about that ? Plywood has a role to play in some cabinet designs.

Graham

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
George M. Middius George M. Middius is offline

Soundhaspriority said:

Dear Mr. "xxxxx" Shill,

[snip]
PS: We get people like you all the time.

Fortunately, Robert is in charge of recycling them.

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
dizzy dizzy is offline

Eeyore wrote:

Plywood has a role to play in some cabinet designs.

That is saying very little. In general, plywood is not a "good"
material for speaker cabinets.

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
George M. Middius George M. Middius is offline

dippy looks to the future.

In general, plywood is not a "good"
material for speaker cabinets.

It's fine for coffins, though. Good luck in the ground!

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
bassett[_2_] bassett[_2_] is offline

"George M. Middius" cmndr _ george @ comcast . net wrote in message
news

dippy looks to the future.

In general, plywood is not a "good"
material for speaker cabinets.

It's fine for coffins, though. Good luck in the ground!

It's also good for making the crates there delivered in.

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
King Ghidora King Ghidora is offline

On Sat, 5 Jan 2008 15:48:19 +1100, "bassett"
wrote:

:
:"xxxxxx" wrote in message
:
[...]
This post is the epitome of snobbism maquerading as
knowledge. The audiofulls must certainly be proud of this
message because it is certainly full of it. The truth is
that people like drove the audio business to the point where
it is hard to get anything at all worth hearing for $550.
But before people got the idea that snobbism meant quality
it was possible to get decent quality for that price. It's
pure supply and demand. As long as there's a demand for
overpriced equipment (by our our hound dog friend here) then
people will fill the market and sell total junk at
reasonable prices in order to drive the snobbism so apparent
in this post.

I remember when a person could buy a set of Infinity
speakers that sounded excellent for not much more than that
$550. This poster suggests that even at the listed price it
would be impossible to get quality. It is but only because
people who care more about crowing about how much money they
have to spend and rubbing it in people's faces have driven
the market that way. Just 10 years ago companies like
Boston Acoustics and even Sony built excellent quality
speakers in the price range mentioend. Now it's keep up
with the Jonses or expect to get crap. Thanks hound dog.
People like you make it impossible for working people to get
quality audio. You people spend more money on stereo
equipment than I spent building my house and I have a VERY
nice house. I just built it 20 years ago. Thank goodness I
bought speakers that were excellent while it was still
possible to get them for a decent price. That $1200 figure
was about the magic number when I bought my speakers. If
you spent that much you could get quality. But just like
car stereo before it home audio has become a matter of
"mine's bigger than yours" from people who are lacking in
the area they really care about.

Here's a hint for you. Audio equipment isn't worth
thousands of dollars no matter how good it is. It's a
matter of gluttony at some point and serendipity at heart.
You think your thousands buy you the best but you wouldn't
recognize quality if it bit you on the rump. What is it
about audio that drives people nuts this way? I guess it's
the ephereal nature of it all. It's too hard to prove
anything so it's too easy to claim money is the magic salve
that fixes all. Well I've heard super high priced equipment
and I've heard consumer grade equipment from the old days
that exceeds the quality of that audiofull stuff so many
spew.

My son, the engineer and electronic physics phd candidate
deals with a plethora of people who have spent way too much
on their equipment. He knows the truth. My equipment is
far better than the vast majority of it. So go ahead and
spend spend spend. It won't buy you the quality you seek.
Only a good ear and a willingness to avoid the hype like the
plague will get you to audio nirvana. I'm the sound man for
a band right now. I'm the guy that you guys are all trying
to emulate with your mega buck systems. I've sold lots of
concert videos and audios where even my mobile equipment
satisfies the masses. Music wasn't built on snobbery. It
was built on good ears and creativity.

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
King Ghidora King Ghidora is offline

On Sat, 5 Jan 2008 00:53:44 -0500, "Soundhaspriority"
wrote:

:
:"bassett" wrote in message
:
: "xxxxxx" wrote in message
: ...
:
: http://www.theaudioinsider.com/produ...d28f98c30133d6
:
:
: There junk plain and simply or put another way , they would be contenders
: for the White van salesman
: even at the full price of $1049 there rubbish, and for that money they
: can't be anything else, then there discounted down to $549.
:
:Newegg has them for $179:
:http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...2E16836136107R
:
:It does sound exactly like the White Van stuff. The shipping weight is 72
:lbs for the pair. That means that each speaker weighs around 30 lbs. This is
:featherweight. It's impossible to make an inert cabinet that light.
:
:Bob Morein
310) 237-6511
:
Is that white van crowd still in business or are you still
bellyaching about what happened 15 years ago? My idiot
brother actually bought a set of those white van speakers.
They were crap. But that's been 15 years ago. Eventually I
talked him into buying real speakers. If they're still in
business I'm amazed. I guess those urban legend sites just
don't reach the whole world.
Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Harry Lavo Harry Lavo is offline

"King Ghidora" wrote in message
On Sat, 5 Jan 2008 15:48:19 +1100, "bassett"
wrote:

:
:"xxxxxx" wrote in message
:
:
[...]

Based on your comments, I would guess you are of an age closer to mine thatn
some of the folks here.

You need to be careful making comparisons, though, for nostalgia has a way
of warping reality. I have been keeping up a spreadsheet of tube power
amplifier prices since a discussion online about five years ago. It is true
that back in the day we had Eico and Dynaco kits to help ease our way into
quality audio, and we don't have them today. Still, in todays prices (2007
BLS CPI-U Index) an Eico HF-80 would cost $933 and a Dynaco Stereo 79 would
cost $1337. Above that price point, things get even more interesting. For
example, a Citation Two would cost nearly $1700 in todays terms, and on a
$/Watt basis would be beaten out by both the Rogue Stereo 90 and the VTL
ST-85 (around $2000). And today we have $500 NAD integrateds and other
low-priced SS gear that we didn't have then.

From a study of nearly two dozen amp models, I made a table that showed on
average current tube power amps sold for about 30% more than their earlier
counterparts, in todays dollars. While this is discouraging, it is probably
in line with the smaller size of todays market versus the more mass market
of the sixties.

The feelings of vast descrepancy between today and forty years ago probably
stems more from the fact that in constant dollars the HH incomes of both
single males and two-income, no-kids familites have stayed constant and that
of families with kids has gone down pretty dramatically. These were the
prime buying groups for audio gear. In fact the only groups showing gains
are single women, and older (over 65) couples....neither of whom are prime
markets for audio equipment. When you combine that with the rising cost of
medical care (now takes 2x the amount it did back then) and the plethora of
other expensive options (flat screen tv's, SLR's, etc.) that compete today,
it is easy to see why we can feel the "unaffordability" of high end
components.

My only beef is with people who turn their own inability to purchase into a
hatred of those who can and do. There are some on this group who do
that..and I hope you aren't/don't become one of them.

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Arny Krueger Arny Krueger is offline

"Harry Lavo" wrote in message

My only beef is with people who turn their own inability
to purchase into a hatred of those who can and do.

Ah, self-pitying audiophile myth number 463:

"The only reason why people don't fall for the overpriced crap that I do is
that they are too cheap or too poor."

It's a corolary of self-pitying audiophile myth number 462:

"I've spent all this money on so much overpriced crap that actually has
almost no value, because I'm so much smarter than just about everybody
else."

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Clyde Slick Clyde Slick is offline

On 18 Ian, 16:35, "Arny Krueger" wrote:
"Harry Lavo" wrote in message

My only beef is with people who turn their own inability
to purchase into a hatred of those who can and do.

Ah, self-pitying audiophile myth number 463:

"The only reason why people don't fall for the overpriced crap *that I do is
that they are too cheap or too poor."

It's a corolary of self-pitying audiophile myth number 462:

"I've spent all this money on so much overpriced crap that actually has
almost no value, because I'm so much smarter than just about everybody
else."

Audio reality number 1

I got money, and you don't
Posted to rec.audio.opinion

wrote:

:
[...]

**** Not at all, it's simply fact, and no where I have criticised the
sound coming from the product, I'm simply saying that to get anything of
quality, you need to pay for it. And you simply can't buy the hardware
for the money there charging for the complete product. Well that's not
quite true, you can, But you only get what you pay for.. Ask your
self, do you want a proper enginnered crossover or simply a cap, in the
line.

What your doing is compairing a $39.00 DVD player to a player worth
$3900.00 and then saying there's no differance.

. I remember when a person could buy a set of Infinity
speakers that sounded excellent for not much more than that
$550

..**** That was then, this is now, I also remember when two people could
have a night out for a couple of dollars. Ask yourself, What was
considered a weekly wage THEN.

This poster suggests that even at the listed price it
would be impossible to get quality. It is but only because
people who care more about crowing about how much money they
have to spend and rubbing it in people's faces have driven
the market that way. Just 10 years ago companies like
Boston Acoustics and even Sony built excellent quality
speakers in the price range mentioend.

****** OK, lets look at it another way, 10 years ago a pair of speakers
where worth 500 bucks, and now there worth five times that much,
$2500. have wages increased five fold in ten years.

Now it's keep up
with the Jonses or expect to get crap. Thanks hound dog.
People like you make it impossible for working people to get
quality audio. You people spend more money on stereo
equipment than I spent building my house and I have a VERY
nice house. I just built it 20 years ago. Thank goodness I
bought speakers that were excellent while it was still
possible to get them for a decent price. That $1200 figure
was about the magic number when I bought my speakers. If
you spent that much you could get quality. But just like
car stereo before it home audio has become a matter of
. "mine's bigger than yours" from people who are lacking in
the area they really care about.

***** People like me, let me tell you know one want's to be like me, a
couple of failed marrages, a couple of failed de-facto relationships,
Bankruptcy Blah, blah, blah. Give me a break.
Nothing special about me, but I looked at all the major brands, Then
went out and bought some SCAN SPEAK , "revolator" drivers and some high
quality SS tweeters, then I went to a cabinet maker friend with a set
of plans for cabinets and got him to produce them for me. There
solid real wood, I don't happen to like compressed cardboard, and
plactic veneer. As to the weight , each cabinet weighted something
like 50 kilo's , bare, add the hardware and your looking at something
like 65 kilo's
All up the cost was about 5 grand. I have since sold another couple
of pairs for something like 12 grand a pair. .
Simply because people liked what they heard and wanted the same
thing.

Here's a hint for you. Audio equipment isn't worth
thousands of dollars no matter how good it is. It's a
matter of gluttony at some point and serendipity at heart.
You think your thousands buy you the best but you wouldn't
recognize quality if it bit you on the rump. What is it
about audio that drives people nuts this way? I guess it's
the ephereal nature of it all. It's too hard to prove
anything so it's too easy to claim money is the magic salve
that fixes all. Well I've heard super high priced equipment
and I've heard consumer grade equipment from the old days
that exceeds the quality of that audiofull stuff so many
spew.

****** So would you buy a Ford car and expect the performance of a
BMW or a Porsche.
Would you walk into an audio shop with money for a Denon or a
Moranze, and expect to walk out with a Krell or a Cary.
Like everyone I started out small, then built up my stuff by replacing
it item for item, then my X hocked the lot and shoot through, So
I started again. I don't have 5000 dollar amps, I have some Rotel,
[mono block's and pre ] I have some early Japanese Hyundai audio,
which was very good and still holds it's own. And there's a few other
peices, but what I have will see me out, it not going to fall apart a
week after the warrenty dies.

My son, the engineer and electronic physics phd candidate
deals with a plethora of people who have spent way too much
on their equipment. He knows the truth. My equipment is
far better than the vast majority of it. So go ahead and
spend spend spend. It won't buy you the quality you seek.
Only a good ear and a willingness to avoid the hype like the
plague will get you to audio nirvana. I'm the sound man for
a band right now. I'm the guy that you guys are all trying
to emulate with your mega buck systems. I've sold lots of
concert videos and audios where even my mobile equipment
satisfies the masses. Music wasn't built on snobbery. It
was built on good ears and creativity.

**** your son is a sound engineer, I would suggest your son does not
have a clue when it comes to quality audio, and simply understands
the retric of "DOOF DOOF'' Go into a quality audio shop hear some
decent audio, and you will be converted forever, or are you one of
those strange people who thinks "BOSE" are wonderful .

As for speaker design, look at any Chinese audio factory , the MDF,
goes in the back door, goes thought a computer controlled saw, then into
automatic JIG's , Staple, staple, staple, gets a coat of liquid glue,
some plastic veneer, and out the front door as a speaker cabinet. They
can knock out something like 10000 a day. it's a bit like Jerry cans in
the last war, total cost was something like 4 cents a can.
The guy's in the next factory are busy feeding machines that produce
speaker drivers, same thing, quantity over quality, Sure there cheap,
but are they any good,

bassett