Posted to rec.audio.car
tc88

Default Basslink II Problem, Anybody else?

I've had a Basslink II in my car with a Sony Deck that has line level
outputs for about 7 months. About 2 months ago I Started getting a
quick one second Buzz coming from it when I turn the key off and the
thing shuts down. I have unhooked speaker line connections and it
still does it so I am assuming it is in the amp. Tried different
combo's with the Phase etc but still does it.

Any body else experience this with these things?

I have no service center near me so I would like to try and fix it
before I send it off for service. Who knows how long that would take.

Thanks,

Posted to rec.audio.car
Chad Wahls

I have never owned one but have heard of problems with them. The immediate
buzz you hear is actually a failed amplifier. It has a shorted final
causing the speaker to be presented with DC. The protection circuitry sends
this then immediately puts the amplifier into protect mode (shuts off HV
power supply)

I think that the amplifier is not designed to cope with real-world
conditions, it's a VERY small box and the speaker+box combo is rather
in-efficient. This combined with the average customer's new found love of
the missing bottom octave causes the amp to become overworked and fail
prematurely. I no longer work for a Harman service center and do not have
the password to the service site to see if there are any updates to the
amplifier section, sorry. If you feel that you are pushing the unit or have
even a inkling that you may want more low end I urge you to look into
options that contain a more durable amplifier and a custom enclosure.

Chad

"tc88" wrote in message
I've had a Basslink II in my car with a Sony Deck that has line level
outputs for about 7 months. About 2 months ago I Started getting a quick
one second Buzz coming from it when I turn the key off and the thing shuts
down. I have unhooked speaker line connections and it still does it so I
am assuming it is in the amp. Tried different combo's with the Phase etc
but still does it.

Any body else experience this with these things?

I have no service center near me so I would like to try and fix it before
I send it off for service. Who knows how long that would take.

Thanks,

ac0j ac0j is offline
Junior Member

Location: Nebraska

I dont know about the thing, when you put DC to a speaker it may pop, but certainly does not buzz, that would be AC causing an audible buzz.
But I would agree there is a problem in the circut somewhere. I get from reading this it is still working other than the short buzz. To me that would be a power supply problem. Maybe a filter cap?
Posted to rec.audio.car
Chad Wahls

--
ac0j

Kinda right but The DC will buzz because the current draw on the PS. The
cone will suck in or push out and an audible buzz will be heard due to the
rapid charge/discharge of the filter caps. The frequency of the buzz
represents the RC frequency of the filter section. A power supply would
smoke the fuse since it's switch mode and the filter caps work at such a
high freq that their failure would produce terible distortion since the
audio would be a modulation of the SMPS frequency and lead to shotr failure
of the power supply due to switching feedback isues. He has shorted finals,
bet you a 6 pack

Chad

Infinity Basslink II Problem : stops working [email protected] Car Audio 26 October 21st 05 09:22 PM
CLC: More John Stewart Vacuum Tubes 12 November 2nd 04 09:47 AM
Problem With Alpine Head Unit/Type E Subs (Part 2) Brian Lamendola Car Audio 3 May 25th 04 04:58 AM