Posted to rec.audio.car
Editor

Default Speed cam tickets in CA? Hearing is May 9

SB 1300 - in the CA state senate right now - will allow automated SPEED
camera tickets - also known as photo radar - to be mailed to you. The
bill has been designed to look innocuous, non-threatening - a pilot
program in only one town, Beverly Hills, and then only in 25 mph zones.
But it is early in the session and the bill could easily be amended to
add more cities (Burbank, Carson, Culver City, Pasadena and LA County
are listed as supporters of the bill); also, there is no technical
reason the cameras can't be used for the very profitable enforcement of
higher speed limits. A current example is Scottsdale, Arizona, which
recently installed cameras on an 8-mile section of the 101 freeway loop.
Even though there was a 30 day period during which warning tickets
were mailed out (Jan. 22 to Feb. 22), the Mar. 31 East Valley Tribune
reported that in the five weeks after Feb. 22, more than 6500 REAL
tickets were issued!

The use of a pilot program ("It's just one town") as a way of getting
their foot in the door may be part of a national plan by the industry -
similar legislation has just been passed by the Maryland legislature.
(Article at: http://www.thenewspaper.com/news/09/922.asp)

To kill SB 1300, call all the state legislators who represent the
districts in which you live, work, or shop. Ask them to vote "no."
Their phone numbers are in your phone book's government pages.

The auto clubs are neutral on the bill, so far. If you are an auto club
member, call your club and talk to them - maybe they will oppose it. If
the auto clubs strongly oppose it, it won't pass. Club phone numbers
are available at:
http://www.highwayrobbery.net/redlig....htm#autoclubs

This is a democracy, for better or worse. The hearing is this coming
Tuesay, May 9. Speak now (tomorrow!) or forever hold your peace. Now
is the time to let your elected representatives, and your auto club,
know what you think.

Ed.
Posted to rec.audio.car
MOSFET

I guess you are assuming that we here in RAC are against this type of speed
limit enforcement. That's interesting. The simple truth is that driving at
or below the posted speed limit SAVES LIVES.

I AM TOTALLY IN FAVOR OF ANY DEVICE THAT FORCES MOTORISTS TO SLOW DOWN!

For my part, I support the use of speed camera tickets. If you don't like
it, SLOW DOWN! It's really that simple. It seems to me that by fighting
this, you are acknowledging the fact that you speed and intend to speed in
the future (otherwise, why would you care?). Therefore you intend to place
my family and myself in greater danger when on the road.

Anyway, my $.02,

MOSFET

"Editor" wrote in message
ink.net...
[...]

Posted to rec.audio.car
Matt Ion

Leaving aside the bull**** argument that speed is the sole killer on the
roads, I can give you a practical real-world example of how speed
cameras are crap.

Imagine yourself on a winding mountain highway, trapped behind some
jackass in a camper creeping along at about 20 clicks under the speed
limit, holding up traffic. Now imagine when you finally reach a passing
lane, this jerk decides to speed up to just a hair over the speed
limit... and right in the middle of that passing area is one of those
nice little minivans with the cameras in them. Any attempt to get by
the slowpoke will surely net an automatic ticket from a system that has
no discretion as to the safety of the drivers or the circumstances, but
merely snaps a picture once the person in the lens passes a certain speed.

So instead you get a lot of ****ed-off drivers as Mr. Camper decends
back to his 20-under speed once the passing lane is over... drivers of
whom some will doubtless try to pass again later at any opportunity,
regardless of how intelligent or safe the move may be.

That camera that will snap me doing a whopping 5 over the limit while
driving under complete control and paying total attention to the road
will fail to catch the moron who's yabbering on his cel phone, weaving
in and out of his lane, who's going just under the set limit. Which
one is more likely to be a danger to you and your family?

I'm sure you'll be glad that the faster driver will get his ticket in
the mail in a few weeks, as the guy on the phone slams into your car...

MOSFET wrote:
I guess you are assuming that we here in RAC are against this type of speed
limit enforcement. That's interesting. The simple truth is that driving at
or below the posted speed limit SAVES LIVES.

I AM TOTALLY IN FAVOR OF ANY DEVICE THAT FORCES MOTORISTS TO SLOW DOWN!

For my part, I support the use of speed camera tickets. If you don't like
it, SLOW DOWN! It's really that simple. It seems to me that by fighting
this, you are acknowledging the fact that you speed and intend to speed in
the future (otherwise, why would you care?). Therefore you intend to place
my family and myself in greater danger when on the road.

Anyway, my $.02,

MOSFET

"Editor" wrote in message
ink.net...

[...]

---
Virus Database (VPS): 0618-3, 05/05/2006
Tested on: 5/7/2006 6:42:53 PM

Posted to rec.audio.car
Matt Mac Donagh

I agree 100%. Slow the hell down and you wont get a ticket. Its that damn
simple! I know plenty about getting speeding tickets too. Between 87-95 I
got pulled over more times then I can remember. One day I woke up and
decided that nothing is so damned important that I need to drive so fast.

Also, any kind of enforcement in residential neighborhoods is a great idea!
There's too many assholes going 30+ down the street while little kids are
playing.

SLOW DOWN! Dont worry about the dumb ass camera!

Matt

"MOSFET" wrote in message
I guess you are assuming that we here in RAC are against this type of speed
limit enforcement. That's interesting. The simple truth is that driving
at or below the posted speed limit SAVES LIVES.

I AM TOTALLY IN FAVOR OF ANY DEVICE THAT FORCES MOTORISTS TO SLOW DOWN!

For my part, I support the use of speed camera tickets. If you don't like
it, SLOW DOWN! It's really that simple. It seems to me that by fighting
this, you are acknowledging the fact that you speed and intend to speed in
the future (otherwise, why would you care?). Therefore you intend to
place my family and myself in greater danger when on the road.

Anyway, my $.02,

MOSFET

"Editor" wrote in message
ink.net...
[...]

Posted to rec.audio.car
NewMan

Well said!

We proved it here beyond a shadow of a doubt - PHOTO RADAR IS A CASH
GRAB AND DOES NOT INCREASE ROAD SAFETY NOR REDUCE ACCIDENTS.

During the few short years that photo radar was in effect, there was
NOT corresponding decrease in accident rates. There WAS however a huge
swelling of the government coffers!

In order for a method to work when attempting behaviour modification
the best methods are Positive, Immediate, and Certain. The next most
effective methods are Negative, Immediate, and Certain.

Photo Radar is NONE OF THE ABOVE! You never really know IF you are
going to get a ticket or no, so that is uncertain. And if you DO get a
ticket, it is 1 to 2 weeks AFTER the behaviour, so your brain simply
does not link cause with effect. While I grant you that any kind of
ticket is negative, photo radar simply falls short on the 2 most
important elements.

If a police officer pulls your speeding ass over, and hassles you for
30 minutes or so, THEN you just might smarten up and slow down. But a
photo radar camera snaping a picture of you will do NOTHING to slow
you down at all. Even by your own arguments, you wont think about
slowing down until you get the ticket - some 2 weeks later! What
happens in the mean time? More tickets? A serious accident??? Death of
another motorist or pedestrian???

Real good system that Photo Radar! NOT!

And as for high speed enforcement, highways and freeways are the
safest roads! Why focus on improving the safety of our safest roads?
unless your objective is not safety at all, but is - in fact - a cash
grab!

MOSFET wrote:
I guess you are assuming that we here in RAC are against this type of speed
limit enforcement. That's interesting. The simple truth is that driving at
or below the posted speed limit SAVES LIVES.

I AM TOTALLY IN FAVOR OF ANY DEVICE THAT FORCES MOTORISTS TO SLOW DOWN!

For my part, I support the use of speed camera tickets. If you don't like
it, SLOW DOWN! It's really that simple. It seems to me that by fighting
this, you are acknowledging the fact that you speed and intend to speed in
the future (otherwise, why would you care?). Therefore you intend to place
my family and myself in greater danger when on the road.

Anyway, my $.02,

MOSFET

"Editor" wrote in message
ink.net...

[...]

Posted to rec.audio.car
MOSFET

SLOW DOWN! Dont worry about the dumb ass camera!

Matt

Well said.

You know, some of you can think of excuses and scenarios all day long as to
why this is a bad idea. But the simple truth is if you drive the speed
limit, you will have no problems.

MOSFET

Posted to rec.audio.car
Captain Howdy

Since when did photo radar slow anyone down, when the ticket shows up in the
mail a month later?

Photo Radar is a bag of ****, They tried it here in Ontario for a couple of
years and junked it. Photo Radar does not stop speeding in anyway and targets
the owner of the car and not the driver. If you get pulled over by a cop,
you'll get a ticket and lose a few points, your insurance can or will go up.
With Photo Radar you the owner of the car gets a ticket and that's it. CASH
GRAB.

In article XDB7g.136913$P01.102253@pd7tw3no, Matt Ion
wrote:
MOSFET wrote:
SLOW DOWN! Dont worry about the dumb ass camera!

Matt

Well said.

You know, some of you can think of excuses and scenarios all day long as to
why this is a bad idea. But the simple truth is if you drive the speed
limit, you will have no problems.

Like I said, it allows NO discretion for circumstances, which a standard
patrolling officer would have.

We had photo-radar here in BC for eight years. The left-wing provincial
government at the time sold it as the panacea for all the speeding and
accidents and carnage on the roads. In the end, it did nothing to solve
the problem or reduce the occurences, and in fact, after all the bugs
were worked out of the system, the legal battles were finalized,
innumerable tickets were tossed out of court, and the dust finally
settled, the system didn't even pay for itself. Money that could have
been spent putting more cops on the streets was instead dumped into a
system that at best might have poured money from fines into police
coffers, but instead just went into a great big hole.

That government was finally ousted, in large part on a promise from the
opposition to do away with photo radar... and true to their promise, the
newcomers wasted no time in yanking the vans off the streets. Strangely
enough, accident and death rates did NOT skyrocket... more police were
put on the streets to actually watch for dangerous, aggressive drivers
at ALL speeds, and the vast majority of the driving public were the
better for it.

Whatever utopian misconceptions you may have of photo radar, four
million residents of BC can tell you, it doesn't work.

---
Virus Database (VPS): 0618-3, 05/05/2006
Tested on: 5/7/2006 11:34:19 PM

Posted to rec.audio.car
B. Peg

"Captain Howdy" wrote:
Since when did photo radar slow anyone down, when the ticket shows up in
the
mail a month later?

Photo Radar is a bag of ****, They tried it here in Ontario for a couple
of
years and junked it. Photo Radar does not stop speeding in anyway and
targets
the owner of the car and not the driver. If you get pulled over by a cop,
you'll get a ticket and lose a few points, your insurance can or will go
up.
With Photo Radar you the owner of the car gets a ticket and that's it.
CASH
GRAB.

Reminds me of when Geico insurance company went around providing police
departments with radar guns. Then they got the added benefit of raising
their policy holder's premium.

I can see CA needing to do this to raise some more money since many do not
pay taxes in the state.

Didn't Montana discover when they eliminated the speed limit that the
highway death rate didn't change? I believe they had to reinstate it to
receive federal monies for their roads.

Posted to rec.audio.car
flak_monkey

It's a system designed to increase government revenue and nothing more.
No discression for anything other than a stupid speed limit. Here in
GA, the posted limit on 285 in 55 mph. Once, a group of students got
together and blocked every single lane of 285 by going the posted
limit, there were a LOT of traffic accidents that day. People commonly
drive 80-100 mph on that road, and in Atlanta traffic, its not just two
or three people, it's thousands. Speed limits are there for a reason,
but sometimes it seems as if they are arbitrarily imposed.

I rercently got a speeding ticket because some ****ing pig decided to
tailgate me. Unknowing that it was an officer (no streetlights on this
road, it was dark) I sped up a little to make my turn and let the car
by. It's a bad neighborhood and I got scared so I was technically at
fault but it goes to show that police will do anything to get those
****ing tickets to increase revenue. BTW, I got off with a whopping 12
mos probation, $200 fine, 80 hrs of community service, and an essay.
This was my first offense, traffic or otherwise. The drug dealer before
me got off with less of a fine and 6 months probation. They recently
found a house in my town stacked floor to ceiling with marijuana
(literally bales of it). Only reason they found it is because of
neighbors reporting suspicious vehicles. The police here have their
poriorities all ****ed up. They'd rather write speeding tickets than
track down all the meth addicts and drug dealers who are really doing
damage. Case and point, speeding tickets are a ****ing cash grab.
There's no money in chasing down REAL criminals. Go the speed limit.
Get a radar detector just in case.

BTW, a pig tried that same ****, tailgating me, the other day. That's
twice in a month. I slammed on the brakes and he almost wrecked into
me. Then, I went the posted limit. He was so annoyed that he crossed
double solid yellow lines to pass me. Got his car number and tag and
reported him. **** the police. They are lazy and when I called them to
have my girlfriend 1013'ed (she had a psychotic episode) they would not
come over and help, spouting some bull**** about a new law and that I
had to go to court to get her declared this and that. The judge looked
at me in the eyes and told me that the cops were not doing their job,
and that they didn't want to deal with the paperwork. Yeah, speeding is
the real danger, not the ****ing pigs that won't do their jobs and deal
with the so called "lilburn mafia" and the plethora of drug dealers and
meth addicts and gang members eating our community.

--
flak_monkey
Posted to rec.audio.car
Matt Mac Donagh

I've been in that situation with an Oregon State trooper. He was on my
bumper for at least 3 miles at around 70MPH. When I hit the gas to get away
from him he pulled me over and asked me why I was speeding. I asked him why
he was tailgating me. He told me to get the hell out of Oregon... I was from
Cali at the time.

I understand the cash and grab stuff here but the fact of the matter is if
you just go the speed limit these stupid cameras wont bother with you. They
stand out like a sore thumb so if your hauling ass past them then your at
fault. California needs the money too.

Matt

"flak_monkey" wrote in
message ...

[...]

Posted to rec.audio.car
bob wald

matt..just stop ya car for a minute.coast to a stop..then continue your
drive.i dout youll ever see my camper again...
you can check your tires or whatever too while stopped....go to your
trunk...lol

Posted to rec.audio.car
Chad Wahls

No kidding and your radar detector will going off a LONG time before they
can snap a Photo!

Chad

"Matt Mac Donagh" wrote in message
news
[...]

Posted to rec.audio.car
Matt Mac Donagh

Hmmm... I'm trying to figure this out but I cant. Any help Bob? I'm sure its
funny but I just dont get it.

"bob wald" wrote in message
matt..just stop ya car for a minute.coast to a stop..then continue your
drive.i dout youll ever see my camper again...
you can check your tires or whatever too while stopped....go to your
trunk...lol

Posted to rec.audio.car
Matt Mac Donagh

Actually the radar detector didn't make a sound. I dont remember the brand
but it was one of those hideaway units with the front and read detectors.
Worked great when Radar was around but doesn't do squat when your being
paced.

I'll let you guys get the tickets. As for me I'm not in that big a hurry.

Matt

"Chad Wahls" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to rec.audio.car
Matt Ion

Matt Mac Donagh wrote:
Actually the radar detector didn't make a sound. I dont remember the brand
but it was one of those hideaway units with the front and read detectors.
Worked great when Radar was around but doesn't do squat when your being
paced.

I'll let you guys get the tickets. As for me I'm not in that big a hurry.

You don't even have to be the one speeding to be put in danger by photo
radar. I was driving along one night just after dark when my eye caught
something on the opposite side of the road. I glanced over just in time
for a car speeding the other direction to trigger the photo... and to
catch the flash from it straight-on. I nearly swerved into the oncoming
lane after being blinded.

Stupid, stupid, stupid.

---
Virus Database (VPS): 0619-0, 05/08/2006
Tested on: 5/8/2006 7:04:17 PM

Posted to rec.audio.car
Matt Mac Donagh

Oh, I got it now. I'm not the one that was ****ed about the camper. That was
some one else.

I've been behind campers and trucks on the way to Tahoe/Reno from Sac but
they usually pull over to let the cars pass when the line behind them gets
too big.

Matt

"bob wald" wrote in message
matt if you stop your car the other car will pull further away from you.
i dout youll ever catch him again.....once you start driving .

Posted to rec.audio.car
Matt Ion

Matt Mac Donagh wrote:
Oh, I got it now. I'm not the one that was ****ed about the camper. That was
some one else.

I've been behind campers and trucks on the way to Tahoe/Reno from Sac but
they usually pull over to let the cars pass when the line behind them gets
too big.

No, that was me... it's actually a pretty common occurrence on the "Sea
the Sky" highway from Vancouver to Whistler: some jackass in a camper or
truck (semis included) or beater car or something, crawling along well
under the speed limit and holding up a long line of traffic in the
narrow, hilly or winding sections, then speeding up in the designated
passing lanes so only a couple of others can get by... and then back to
crawling when the passing lane is gone. What makes it worse is when one
of the first couple cars behind them try to pass, and then can barely
muster the speed to do so (particularly on an uphill stretch) and thus
hold up everyone else.

So what does this have to do with photo radar?

When you put a cop out there on the road to actually patrol the traffic,
he can use his discretion to allow the passing cars the extra speed to
get by the slowpoke (and will usually do so, in my experience, although
if they take off flying afterward, it's a whole different story). He
can also pull over the asshole who's creating the traffic problem in the
first place and generating all manner of road rage and enticing other
drivers to behave dangerously.

When you take the cop away and just park a photo radar camera on the
side of the road, all it can do is snap anyone going too fast. It has
no discretion, it won't slow them down, it won't penalize the slow
driver who, in fact, is also breaking the law by obstructing traffic
(highway traffic in BC must by law be able to maintain a reasonable
minimum speed).

My specific example was of a time I was prevented from passing one of
these slowpokes, who insisted on speeding up to the limit through one of
only three short passing zones in the 60km between Vancouver and
Squamish, by a photo radar van parked to the side right in the middle of
that zone. I could have got by Mr. Creepy Crawler without needing to
resort to excessive speed or endangering anyone else, including MOSFET
and his family, but would have been snapped for doing so.

---
Virus Database (VPS): 0619-0, 05/08/2006
Tested on: 5/8/2006 9:58:24 PM

Posted to rec.audio.car
Chad Wahls

Trust me I drive the speed limit or +5 MPH MAX But being paced? You don't
need a detector to use the rear view mirror I've been in that situation
and will slow down enough to irritate them and they go around or pull me
over for an "equipment check" this usually ends up with no ticket because
my vehicles are all in top working order. I play by the law. Honestly I
drive a cop-magnet and have yet to be messed with in that car, they look
twice but I guess having some age on you does have it's benifits at times

Chad
. ..

"Chad Wahls" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to rec.audio.car
Chad Wahls

He never got high enough in math to do the train A and train B thing, Don't
worry.

Chad
"bob wald" wrote in message
matt if you stop your car the other car will pull further away from you.
i dout youll ever catch him again.....once you start driving .

Posted to rec.audio.car
Matt Mac Donagh

It was a light grey Caprice or something about that size. It didn't have the
light bar so I just thought it was some terd that wanted me to move over so
he could pass me. Turned out to be an Oregon State Trooper. At the time I
was driving a flag waver for sure. A 2 year old Emerald Green Mustang GT.
That damn car got me into all kinds of deep doodoo! Hell, I got pulled over
the first hour I had it off the lot....

"Chad Wahls" wrote in message
No kidding and your radar detector will going off a LONG time before
they can snap a Photo!

Chad

"Matt Mac Donagh" wrote in message
news I've been in that situation with an Oregon State trooper. He was on my
[...]

Posted to rec.audio.car
Brandonb

One of the good things about Iowa is the lack of any kind of vehicle
inpection or smog rules. About the only thing they'll catch you on is
obvious stuff, like too dark window tint, missing a muffler (which they
usually don't care about), or various non-working lights, which is a
crapshoot if they care or not. I neglected to replace a faulty brake
light on my Grand Cherokee for months (mainly because I didn't know
about it and kept forgetting when I did) and no cops ever said anything
or pulled me over, even when driving behind me. However, when I had my
old Celica, a brake light was out for about a grand total of 4 hours
when I got pulled over.

Chad Wahls wrote:
I've been in that situation
and will slow down enough to irritate them and they go around or pull me
over for an "equipment check" this usually ends up with no ticket because
my vehicles are all in top working order.

Posted to rec.audio.car

Do I myself speed?
Yes. I do.

Is the speed of traffic in my area well above the speed limit?
Yes.

If I went the speed limit would I get the finger?
Likely.

Am I an attentive driver?
Damn strait I am.

Are tickets in the state of CA way too expensive anyway?
Painfully so.

Posted to rec.audio.car
bob wald

just pay your fine... send $10 aweek until paid...
stop crying..its alright....

Posted to rec.audio.car
bob wald

also..give the judge the speech..''who are you to tell me what speed i
can operate my car safely? you the god of movement now?''
lol..
also...question the limit set on that road..ask them howd they
determine that spped n not 5mph faster or slower?
also the officer that clocked you.question him. lol
ask him how long he was working before you clocked my speed? Were you
tired maybe?
also have you had training on doing this? how long ago? have you had
complaints about you in the past? hmm
demand a drug test on him now!
lol......
ask him, any medican you been taking while you are at work hmm?
alil pick me uppers..lol
do you wear glasses? i demand his eyes checked before i can continue my
defense..i rest my case..lol
ask him any acidents in the past 6months?
a question to his eye sight.
if your far from him. turn your back ask him your eye color?
as to his ability to remember n notice details....

Hearing Aid Comparisons Peter Pro Audio 2 February 3rd 06 06:21 PM
Home hearing test - sweepable oscillator? [email protected] Pro Audio 16 January 3rd 06 06:03 AM
Just for Ludovic Audio Opinions 64 November 19th 05 04:17 PM
Hair cell hope for hearing loss Greg Pro Audio 7 January 18th 05 12:30 PM
Hearing aid brands for an old pro? Mark Pro Audio 6 November 10th 04 05:14 PM