Posted to rec.audio.opinion
MiNe 109 MiNe 109 is offline

Default OT Course offering

http://departments.oxy.edu/registrar/catalog/ctsj.html

180. STUPIDITY.

Stupidity is neither ignorance nor organicity, but rather, a corollary
of knowing and an element of normalcy, the double of intelligence rather
than its opposite. It is an artifact of our nature as finite beings and
one of the most powerful determinants of human destiny. Stupidity is
always the name of the Other, and it is the sign of the feminine. This
course in Critical Psychology follows the work of Friedrich Nietzsche,
Gilles Deleuze, and most recently, Avital Ronell, in a philosophical
examination of those operations and technologies that we conduct in
order to render ourselves uncomprehending. Stupidity, which has been
evicted from the philosophical premises and dumbed down by psychometric
psychology, has returned in the postmodern discourse against Nation,
Self, and Truth and makes itself felt in political life ranging from the
presidency to Beavis and Butthead. This course examines stupidity.

--

Stephen
Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Jenn[_2_] Jenn[_2_] is offline

In article ,
MiNe 109 wrote:

[...]

lol Interesting!

Oxy is such a great college. My aunt-in-law works in HR there. Of
course the President did his first two years there before transferring
to Columbia.
Posted to rec.audio.opinion

On Aug 27, 10:54*am, Jenn wrote:

Oxy is such a great college. *My aunt-in-law works in HR there. *Of
course the President did his first two years there before transferring
to Columbia.

Is it in Illinois?
Posted to rec.audio.opinion
vinyl anachronist vinyl anachronist is offline

On Aug 27, 9:40�am, "Shhhh! I'm Listening to Reason!"
wrote:
On Aug 27, 10:54�am, Jenn wrote:

Oxy is such a great college. �My aunt-in-law works in HR there. �Of
course the President did his first two years there before transferring
to Columbia.

Is it in Illinois?

No, in LA near Eagle Rock.
Posted to rec.audio.opinion

Harry Lavo said:

Read Obama's first book.

I hope you're not directing this advice to Scottie or Stynchie. They believe
"Dreams" is a satanic retread of "Mein Kampf" with every reference to Aryans
changed to Africans.

Posted to rec.audio.opinion

Harry Lavo said:

Read Obama's first book.

I hope you're not directing this advice to Scottie or Stynchie. They
believe
"Dreams" is a satanic retread of "Mein Kampf" with every reference to
Aryans
changed to Africans.

LOL!

I quess I shouldn't have laughed. Of course, Harvard is exactly the right
place for him to have plotted the overthrow of Western Civilization with his
Brown Shirts, wasn't it? And what better cover than as Editor of The
Harvard Law Review.

Posted to rec.audio.opinion

Harry Lavo said:

Read Obama's first book.

I hope you're not directing this advice to Scottie or Stynchie. They believe
"Dreams" is a satanic retread of "Mein Kampf" with every reference to
Aryans changed to Africans.

LOL!

I quess I shouldn't have laughed. Of course, Harvard is exactly the right
place for him to have plotted the overthrow of Western Civilization with his
Brown Shirts, wasn't it? And what better cover than as Editor of The
Harvard Law Review.

I can assure you that Scottie and Stynchie are not laughing.

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Clyde Slick Clyde Slick is offline

On 27 aug., 11:46, MiNe 109 wrote:
[...]

All anyone has to do is to sign up, and you
get an automatic "A", because anyone
who signs up and pays for the course is already stupid.

LOL!!!!! think about the instructor!
Who wants to be known as a professor of stuupidity??

But let's look on the positive side, it could be
an overall good thing, if the course was taught by a standup
comedian of the types such as Seinfeld, Robin Williams,
George Carlin, Chris Rock, Dennis Miller, or
James Gregory (covering right and left)

anyway, thanks for providing that tidbit!
Posted to rec.audio.opinion

On Aug 27, 4:32*pm, Clyde Slick wrote:

LOL!!!!! think about the instructor!
Who wants to be known as a professor of stuupidity??

LOL!!!!!!!! Is that any different from relishing the title of
"Imbecile of RAO"? LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
MiNe 109 MiNe 109 is offline

In article
,
"Shhhh! I'm Listening to Reason!" wrote:

On Aug 27, 4:32*pm, Clyde Slick wrote:

LOL!!!!! think about the instructor!
Who wants to be known as a professor of stuupidity??

LOL!!!!!!!! Is that any different from relishing the title of
"Imbecile of RAO"? LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Stupidity is best learned in the street:

http://www.insidehighered.com/views/mclemee/mclemee256

Gambatta makes a fascinating and rather counterintuitive argument about
the role that gross incompetence plays in organized crime -- and also,
as a brief discussion in one chapter suggests, in academic life, at
least in Italy.

"An unexpected result of my research on the mafia," he writes, "was to
find out that mafiosi are quite incompetent at doing anything" other
than shaking down legitimate businesses and enforcing trade agreements
among smaller-scale hoodlums. "Mafiosi are good at intimidation and
stick to it.... They let the professionals and the entrepreneurs take
care of the actual business operations."...

Gambetta argues that something similar takes place among the baroni
(barons) who oversee the selection committees involved in Italian
academic promotions. While some fields are more meritocratic than
others, the struggle for advancement often involves a great deal of
horse trading. "The barons operate on the basis of a pact of
reciprocity, which requires a lot of trust, for debts are repaid years
later. Debts and credits are even passed on from generation to
generation within a professor's 'lineage,' and professors close to
retirement are excluded from the current deals, for they will not be
around long enough to return favors."

The most powerful figures in this system, says Gambetta, tend to be the
least intellectually distinguished. They do little research, publish
rarely, and at best are derivative of "some foreign author on whose fame
they hope to ride.... Also, and this is what is the most intriguing,
they do not try to hide their weakness. One has the impression that they
almost flaunt it in personal contacts."

Well, one also has the impression that the author is here on the verge
of writing a satirical novel. But a friend who is interested in both the
politics and academic life of Italy tells me that this account is all
too recognizably accurate, in some fields anyway. Gambetta calls the
system "an academic kakistocracy, or government by the worst," which is
definitely an expression I can see catching on.

--

Stephen
Posted to rec.audio.opinion
hophead hophead is offline

In article , smcelroy2
@POPaustin.rr.com says...

Well, one also has the impression that the author is here on the verge
of writing a satirical novel. But a friend who is interested in both the
politics and academic life of Italy tells me that this account is all
too recognizably accurate, in some fields anyway. Gambetta calls the
system "an academic kakistocracy, or government by the worst," which is
definitely an expression I can see catching on.

Hilarious - this is good stuff!
Posted to rec.audio.opinion

MiNe 109 said:

Gambetta argues that something similar takes place among the baroni
(barons) who oversee the selection committees involved in Italian
academic promotions. While some fields are more meritocratic than
others, the struggle for advancement often involves a great deal of
horse trading. "The barons operate on the basis of a pact of
reciprocity, which requires a lot of trust, for debts are repaid years
later. Debts and credits are even passed on from generation to
generation within a professor's 'lineage,' and professors close to
retirement are excluded from the current deals, for they will not be
around long enough to return favors."

This is part of what you quoted, right?

My comment is that the enforced kowtowing to the dictum of publish-or-perish
is the main reason academics gain little respect outside of their own circles.
Yes, I realize it's completely entrenched and is undoubtedly a least-of-evils
solution to the eternal question of credentialing. Still....

Any academics here who might want to comment? G

As a footnote, when I got my B.A. years ago, a few of the courses were
followed by a survey of how well the teacher (usually a full prof) performed.
The questions on them were superficial and bland. Oh well.

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
MiNe 109 MiNe 109 is offline

In article ,
George M. Middius wrote:

MiNe 109 said:

Gambetta argues that something similar takes place among the baroni
(barons) who oversee the selection committees involved in Italian
academic promotions. While some fields are more meritocratic than
others, the struggle for advancement often involves a great deal of
horse trading. "The barons operate on the basis of a pact of
reciprocity, which requires a lot of trust, for debts are repaid years
later. Debts and credits are even passed on from generation to
generation within a professor's 'lineage,' and professors close to
retirement are excluded from the current deals, for they will not be
around long enough to return favors."

This is part of what you quoted, right?

Yes.

My comment is that the enforced kowtowing to the dictum of publish-or-perish
is the main reason academics gain little respect outside of their own circles.
Yes, I realize it's completely entrenched and is undoubtedly a least-of-evils
solution to the eternal question of credentialing. Still....

Any academics here who might want to comment? G

Yep, that's part of it.

As a footnote, when I got my B.A. years ago, a few of the courses were
followed by a survey of how well the teacher (usually a full prof) performed.
The questions on them were superficial and bland. Oh well.

Scantron doesn't convey mood well.

Stephen
Posted to rec.audio.opinion
GeoSynch GeoSynch is offline

Pudgie chortled:

I can assure you that Scottie and Stynchie are not laughing.

No, only the Jews who bankrolled Obama, knowing they could easily blackmail and
control the first crack-smoking Homo-in-Chief (chronicled by Larry Sinclair) a
lot more easily than they could Attila the Hillary who had gotten wise to the
Zionist tactics of Mossad agents/sympathizers Rahm Emanuel and Monica Lewinsky.

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
GeoSynch GeoSynch is offline

Boy George puffed:

... when I got my B.A. years ago ...

in Interior Decorating

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Jenn[_2_] Jenn[_2_] is offline

In article ,
"GeoSynch" wrote:

Pudgie chortled:

I can assure you that Scottie and Stynchie are not laughing.

No, only the Jews who bankrolled Obama, knowing they could easily blackmail
and
control the first crack-smoking Homo-in-Chief (chronicled by Larry Sinclair)
lot more easily than they could Attila the Hillary who had gotten wise to the
Zionist tactics of Mossad agents/sympathizers Rahm Emanuel and Monica
Lewinsky.

OMNG! lol
Posted to rec.audio.opinion

On Aug 28, 1:04*am, Jenn wrote:
In article ,

*"GeoSynch" wrote:
Pudgie chortled:

I can assure you that Scottie and Stynchie are not laughing.

No, only the Jews who bankrolled Obama, knowing they could easily blackmail
and
control the first crack-smoking Homo-in-Chief (chronicled by Larry Sinclair)
lot more easily than they could Attila the Hillary who had gotten wise to the
Zionist tactics of Mossad agents/sympathizers Rahm Emanuel and Monica
Lewinsky.

OMNG! *lol

I think he's serious though.
Posted to rec.audio.opinion

On Aug 28, 12:31*am, "GeoSynch" wrote:
Boy George puffed:

... when I got my B.A. years ago ...

in Interior Decorating

I doubt that's his degree, but I also doubt you'd be smart enough to
do interior design:

http://tinyurl.com/nataw3

You should get out of your trailer more often. LOL!
Posted to rec.audio.opinion
vinyl anachronist vinyl anachronist is offline

On Aug 27, 11:22�pm, "Shhhh! I'm Listening to Reason!"
wrote:
On Aug 28, 12:31�am, "GeoSynch" wrote:

Boy George puffed:

... when I got my B.A. years ago ...

in Interior Decorating

I doubt that's his degree, but I also doubt you'd be smart enough to
do interior design:

http://tinyurl.com/nataw3

You should get out of your trailer more often. LOL!

I have a friend who does green interior design for eco-friendly
houses, and she's making a ton of money. Then again, CISG has to roll
out of bed in the middle of the night to make sure he didn't **** up
the "automated" processes again and get reamed by his boss.

It's also funny that he thinks my move to Austin has anything to do
with losing my job at TONE when he's the one who actually just
relocated because he lost his job. Projection, anyone?

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
GeoSynch GeoSynch is offline

BaBoon thumped his chest and howled:

It's also funny that he thinks my move to Austin has anything to do with
losing my job at TONE when he's the one who actually just relocated because he
lost his job. Projection, anyone?

You're wrong again as usual, knuckle-dragger. I still live at the same place as
when I first started posting to rao about 10 years ago.

But you have reaffirmed what a mendacious hypocrite you a you were crying and
carrying on like a little girl about Arny and Bobo "taking food off [your]
table" when they complained about you to your employer, colleagues, advertisers,
etc. but yet here you are gloating about the fact (in your mentally deranged
mind, anyways) about having gotten me fired from my job.

And yet you still haven't caught on to the subtle game of goading you into
revealing what a deranged lunatic you've turned into.

Posted to rec.audio.opinion

On Aug 28, 1:42*am, "GeoSynch" wrote:

And yet you still haven't caught on to the subtle game of goading you into
revealing what a deranged lunatic you've turned into.

LOL!

"Jilly" gently and subtly goads Sugar into drinking some jism and
smegma topped with diarrhea.

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
GeoSynch GeoSynch is offline

Jilly - like clockwork - falls off the bar stool - signalling to the other
regulars last call, it's almost closing time:

And yet you still haven't caught on to the subtle game of goading you into
revealing what a deranged lunatic you've turned into.

"Jilly" gently and subtly goads Sugar into drinking some jism and smegma
topped with diarrhea.

Jilly's inebriated and delusional having had twenty too many.

Posted to rec.audio.opinion

On Aug 28, 2:28*am, "GeoSynch" wrote:
Jilly - like clockwork - falls off the bar stool - signalling to the other
regulars last call, it's almost closing time:

And yet you still haven't caught on to the subtle game of goading you into
revealing what a deranged lunatic you've turned into.

"Jilly" gently and subtly goads Sugar into drinking some jism and smegma
topped with diarrhea.

Jilly's inebriated and delusional having had twenty too many.

I haven't had a drop of anything, Sugar.

Meanwhile it's obvious that you're just chock-full of jism and smegma.
You've had a belly full, Sugar, and there's no point in denying it.
One more drop and you'd pop. We've all seen your kind before. The
vehemently anti-gay conservative who's actually quite gay himself.

Have you tapped your foot in any airport restrooms recently, Sugar? ;-)
Posted to rec.audio.opinion
GeoSynch GeoSynch is offline

Jilly read, Jilly repeat:

Jilly - like clockwork - falls off the bar stool [and pukes on the floor] -
signalling to the other regulars last call, it's almost closing time:

Jilly's inebriated and delusional having had twenty too many.

I haven't had a drop of anything, Sugar.

Who are you kidding? You can always count on the Blowjob Queen to "drop" down
onto her knees

Meanwhile it's obvious that

Jilly can recite one long IKYABWAI with a little "After The Ball" agitprop
thrown in.

Posted to rec.audio.opinion

On Aug 28, 7:21*am, "GeoSynch" wrote:
Jilly read, Jilly repeat:

Jilly - like clockwork - falls off the bar stool [and pukes on the floor] -
signalling to the other regulars last call, it's almost closing time:
Jilly's inebriated and delusional having had twenty too many.

I haven't had a drop of anything, Sugar.

Who are you kidding? You can always count on the Blowjob Queen to "drop" down
onto her knees

Meanwhile it's obvious that

Jilly can recite one long IKYABWAI with a little "After The Ball" agitprop
thrown in.

I thought you were against cutting when it changed the meaning.

My opinion of you has gone down. (There's a freebie, Sugar. Can you
resist it?) LOL!
Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Jenn[_2_] Jenn[_2_] is offline

In article ,
George M. Middius wrote:

MiNe 109 said:

[...]

At some colleges/universities, "publish or perish" still exists. These
are institutions where research is generally more valued than teaching
ability. Publishing (or often in my field, performance) brings the
institution student and faculty recruitment and in some fields, big
research dollars. Some faculty positions are funded by the research
dollars that they bring in. In the area of recruitment (usually the
case in my field), outstanding performance away from the
university/college (recitals, studio performance, guest conducting,
etc.) brings positive attention to the institution, better students,
etc. Composers who get published and performed does the same. My
favorite schools are generally those where the faculty is recruited and
paid to be outstanding teachers. That is what's best for the students.

As a footnote, when I got my B.A. years ago, a few of the courses were
followed by a survey of how well the teacher (usually a full prof) performed.
The questions on them were superficial and bland. Oh well.

At teaching-first schools, faculty is evaluated by students quite often,
and the results are very important. At my place, students evaluate not
yet tenured faculty every semester. When/if tenure is granted, students
evaluate every three years. So by the time a tenured faculty reaches
his/her 10th year, something like 15 student evaluations have been
performed.
Posted to rec.audio.opinion
vinyl anachronist vinyl anachronist is offline

On Aug 28, 12:15�am, "Shhhh! I'm Listening to Reason!"
wrote:
On Aug 28, 1:42�am, "GeoSynch" wrote:

And yet you still haven't caught on to the subtle game of goading you into
revealing what a deranged lunatic you've turned into.

LOL!

"Jilly" gently and subtly goads Sugar into drinking some jism and
smegma topped with diarrhea.

I wonder who CISG thinks he's "revealing" all this information to. You
and I know I'm not a "deranged lunatic"...who else knows he even
exists?

LOL!
Posted to rec.audio.opinion

wrote:
On Aug 28, 1:42 am, "GeoSynch" wrote:

And yet you still haven't caught on to the subtle game of goading you into
revealing what a deranged lunatic you've turned into.

LOL!

"Jilly" gently and subtly goads Sugar into drinking some jism and
smegma topped with diarrhea.

I wonder who CISG thinks he's "revealing" all this information to. You
and I know I'm not a "deranged lunatic"...who else knows he even
exists?

LOL!

It's scary that Sugar thinks his obsession with "precious bodily
fluids" is "normal" and not "deranged".

What was that General's name in Dr. Strangelove?

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
MiNe 109 MiNe 109 is offline

In article
,

wrote:
On Aug 28, 1:42 am, "GeoSynch" wrote:

And yet you still haven't caught on to the subtle game of goading you
into
revealing what a deranged lunatic you've turned into.

LOL!

"Jilly" gently and subtly goads Sugar into drinking some jism and
smegma topped with diarrhea.

I wonder who CISG thinks he's "revealing" all this information to. You
and I know I'm not a "deranged lunatic"...who else knows he even
exists?

LOL!

It's scary that Sugar thinks his obsession with "precious bodily
fluids" is "normal" and not "deranged".

What was that General's name in Dr. Strangelove?

Purity of essence, yes. Turgidson? Or was that George C. Scott?

Base Commander Jack D. Ripper.

Stephen
Posted to rec.audio.opinion

MiNe 109 said:

What was that General's name in Dr. Strangelove?

Purity of essence, yes. Turgidson? Or was that George C. Scott?

You are so trivial. G

Answers: Yes, and yes. Yes to both.

It's been a while since Jeopardy had a Strangelove question.

Posted to rec.audio.opinion

On Aug 28, 4:36*pm, MiNe 109 wrote:
In article
,

wrote:
On Aug 28, 1:42 am, "GeoSynch" wrote:

And yet you still haven't caught on to the subtle game of goading you
into
revealing what a deranged lunatic you've turned into.

LOL!

"Jilly" gently and subtly goads Sugar into drinking some jism and
smegma topped with diarrhea.

I wonder who CISG thinks he's "revealing" all this information to. You
and I know I'm not a "deranged lunatic"...who else knows he even
exists?

LOL!

It's scary that Sugar thinks his obsession with "precious bodily
fluids" is "normal" and not "deranged".

What was that General's name in Dr. Strangelove?

Purity of essence, yes. Turgidson? Or was that George C. Scott?

Base Commander Jack D. Ripper.

Fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist
plot we have ever had to face.

(Aside from the evil liberal MSM and the Kennedy cover up, of course.)