Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Bret L Bret L is offline

Default No Miraculous Rescue

“There Would Be No Miraculous Rescues By The U.S. Border Patrol”–The
Dangers Of Breaking And Entering Into America

[James Fulford]

"In Slate, Sacha Feinman has a picture of the big business of immigrant smuggling south of the border. Feinman is talking not to a smuggler, but to a humanitarian:

The first time I paid Enriquez a visit, I was ushered into his
sparsely furnished office and offered an orange plastic chair. He was
dressed in the orange polo shirt that is Grupos Beta’s uniform. With a
cell phone glued to his ear, he flashed a quick smile and raised an
index finger in lieu of a proper hello. He’d be with me as soon as he
could; right now he was literally in the middle of a life or death
situation. A teenage migrant from the state of Tabasco was lost in the
desert, having been separated from the rest of his group of border
crossers only hours after starting out. The boy had no food or water,
and he was in bad shape. His cell phone battery was low, but he had a
clear signal. He was on the Mexican side of the border, which made his
situation even more perilous. There would be no miraculous rescues by
the U.S. Border Patrol. [Emphasis added] The boy had called his
parents, who had in turn rung up Enriquez in a furious panic.[The
Business of Human Smuggling on the Mexican Border, August 21, 2009 ]

They managed to rescue the kid, and he will no doubt try this stupid
and criminal thing again. Perhaps he will think to take water as well
as a cell phone into the desert with him. The late Colonel Jeff Cooper
wrote in 1997 that

[O]ur current reliance upon gadgetry seems to be decreasing human
competence. People are now taking to the woods with one of these
satellite position locators under the impression that that is all that
is needed for their safety and safe return. They do not know terrain.
They do not understand topography. They rarely have a map but they
often do have a cellular phone, believing that if they get in trouble
in the woods they may simply ring up somebody and produce a
helicopter. The article even mentions a bizarre case in which a hiker
was found in dire straights in the wilderness without any sort of
competence and no canteen. What he did have in his pack was a laptop
computer. Now where do people like that come from!

Well, now we know that one place they come from is Mexico. And Mexico,
unlike the United States, doesn’t do a good job of search and
rescue–“There would be no miraculous rescues…” Right. Those rescues
are paid for by the American taxpayer dollar, not the Mexican taxpayer
peso."

http://blog.vdare.com/archives/2009/...-into-america/