Posted to sci.electronics.design,rec.audio.tech
Kevin Aylward[_3_] Kevin Aylward[_3_] is offline

Default MOSFET output stage

Eeyore wrote:
Kevin Aylward wrote:

Eeyore wrote:
Kevin Aylward wrote:

Anyone that claims that a general purpose PA amp, sounds bad or not
good, if it has thd and imd 0.005% and slew rates of 100V/us, is
pretty much delusional. Roll on the £200 oxygen free mains cable I
say....

Why stop at £200 ? Oh !
http://www.asa.org.uk/asa/adjudicati..._ADJ_44177.htm

This link seems to be bad. I did find this though

Works here.

worked now.

http://divinecables.co.uk/mains-powe...i-power-cable#

All I can say, is that I am still stunned..and shocked...shocked and
stunned...all I said was that I was taller than Jesus, not that I
was bigger than Jesus...

I'd like to start a movement to have all these liars and fraudsters
shut down.

Indeed. If I had actually said that I was bigger than Jesus, I would have
said so...

As you may have noticed from visiting churches, the average height a while
back, was a lot smaller...

Kevin Aylward

Posted to sci.electronics.design,rec.audio.tech
Eeyore Eeyore is offline

Kevin Aylward wrote:

Eeyore wrote:
Kevin Aylward wrote:
Eeyore wrote:
Kevin Aylward wrote:

[...]

By pure chance I just received some info from Russ Andrews (several booklets)
on behalf of somone who didn't want to give their identity away.

Cream of the bunch I think was a 'special' phono lead optimised for subwoofer
connections in multi-speaker systems for deeper and richer bass or whatever
nutcase story they were making up.

I really would like to see that company go down along with all the fraudulent
hi-fi rags too.

Graham

Posted to sci.electronics.design,rec.audio.tech
Eeyore Eeyore is offline

John Larkin wrote:

Eeyore wrote:
John Larkin wrote:
Eeyore wrote:

Learn something about LATERAL mosfets that were designed for audio. I've already
given part number and links to data sheets.

That doesn't really matter. The transfer function only needs to be
continuous so that you can close a loop around it, and the fet needs
to be able to stand the peak power dissipation. That can easily be
done with vertical "switching" type fets. A modern FLOOD architecture
[1] works great with most any kind of fet. Lots of things have changed
in the last few decades.

John

[1] Of course you've never heard the term before. I just invented it.

Fine. Can you elaborate some more on it ? Laterals have some truly lovely features
for audio. The only downside being a slightly highish Ron. Not really a problem when
(as I have) used as many as 6 in parallel (12 mosfets per channel / 24 per amp). They
also match beautifully with no need for source balance resistors (so some of the Ron
loss 'goes away').

An opamp per fet, closing a local loop, feedback from the fet source,
makes each fet look like a perfect unity-gain, fast, zero-offset
device.

Interesting idea. I'll have to chew that one over. I can see possible problems fron op-amp
output overshoot.

Opamps are cheap, but fets and heat sinks are expensive. Power
all those gate-drive opamps from a DC-DC converter floating on the
output node; DC/DC bricks are cheap nowadays, too. Do a simple output
current limit for fast overloads and back that up with a digital fet
power dissipation simulation that provides the real protections.

I've toyed in the past with doing device protection using an analogue multiplier actually
funnily enough.

That
will optimize the hell out of the power supply, fets, and heat sink,
giving a lot more safe power for the buck, especially in
complex-signal non-sinusoidal apps like audio and NMR gradient
drivers.

Use a bunch of smaller fets rather than a few big ones; that speeds
things up and spreads the heat out across the heat sinks better.

For the audio version, use two "hot" heat sinks, with no insulators
under the fets.

Something I am very much in favour of. I like that junction to see cool aluminium as fast
as possible.

Include full BIST. It's worth it for the savings in production test
alone.

The output stage will be so quiet and linear that no overall feedback
is needed or helpful.

The audiophools will hate this.

All the better !

Graham

Posted to sci.electronics.design,rec.audio.tech
Jan Panteltje Jan Panteltje is offline

On a sunny day (Fri, 19 Sep 2008 18:10:20 +0100) it happened Eeyore
wrote in
:

An opamp per fet, closing a local loop, feedback from the fet source,
makes each fet look like a perfect unity-gain, fast, zero-offset
device.

Interesting idea. I'll have to chew that one over. I can see possible problems fron op-amp
output overshoot.

If you loo kat the TDA9274 datahseet (the ST DMOS chip), then in the blockdiagram on page 2
you will see this is exactly what is done with the lower output MOSFET, combined with opamp
makes unity gain.
The top is already a source followwr.
The over current protection same thing, opamps.
It is likely this what makes the Boucherot network not needed.

You could do the same thing with the top MOSFET in a discrete design, if you must.

Opamps are cheap, but fets and heat sinks are expensive. Power
all those gate-drive opamps from a DC-DC converter floating on the
output node; DC/DC bricks are cheap nowadays, too. Do a simple output
current limit for fast overloads and back that up with a digital fet
power dissipation simulation that provides the real protections.

I've toyed in the past with doing device protection using an analogue multiplier actually
funnily enough.

I only see over current protection in a lot of amps, plus thermal,
the real thing was a bridge that caused foldback current limit,
couple of resistors and diodes, makes it any load proof.

Posted to sci.electronics.design,rec.audio.tech

Eeyore wrote:
John Larkin wrote:

Eeyore wrote:
John Larkin wrote:
Eeyore wrote:

[...]

I have a simple embodiment of that concept here, done a while ago, in
virtual land;-)

http://www.kevinaylward.co.uk/ee/cir...ortionAmp2.jpg

Its a push/pull gain loop around the output devices, forcing them to be
unity gain followers.

You can get lower distortion, at the expense of speed, because you have to
compensate earlier.

Common mode feedback at the second stage, allows for enormous dc/lf gain.
cascodes to allow the use of fast small transistors to do all the main work.
Emitter follower buffer to reduce the current swing in the input pair, as
per doug self. Spice says it should be in the 0.0001% , 20Khz range,
maybe...

Kevin Aylward

Posted to sci.electronics.design,rec.audio.tech

Jan Panteltje wrote:
On a sunny day (Fri, 19 Sep 2008 18:10:20 +0100) it happened Eeyore
wrote in
:

An opamp per fet, closing a local loop, feedback from the fet
source, makes each fet look like a perfect unity-gain, fast,
zero-offset device.

Interesting idea. I'll have to chew that one over. I can see
possible problems fron op-amp output overshoot.

If you loo kat the TDA9274 datahseet (the ST DMOS chip), then in the
blockdiagram on page 2 you will see this is exactly what is done with
the lower output MOSFET, combined with opamp makes unity gain.
The top is already a source followwr.
The over current protection same thing, opamps.
It is likely this what makes the Boucherot network not needed.

I doubt it. I haven't seen the data sheet, but it is not usual to be able to
stabilise an amp with what I believe you are describing here.

Consider one amp feeding the other, both running open loop, with overall
feedback, to the 1st. Now consider the case where the second amp is
configured with local feedback, to make it a unity buffer, following the 1st
amp. Naively , one might argue that the 2nd stage now has a wider bandwidth,
due to feedback, such that the "new " system might be stable, i.e. one main
rolloff due to the 1st amp. However, in realty, topologically, nothing
changes. The determine the stability of the system, one needs to break the
loop at a point that breaks *all* feedback paths at once. This point will be
the point directly at the output of the 2nd amp. when this is done, it is
clear that the stabiliy is still due to the total loop gain of both amops
cascaded.

Excepting for the special cases, e.g. , where feedback is used to neutralise
r.f amps, feedback in general, cannot be used to widen bandwidth, if the
purpose of that wider bandwidth is to achieve stability, in this type of
arrangement

To wit, There is no such thing as a free lunch...

Kevin Aylward

www.superspice.co.uk

Posted to sci.electronics.design,rec.audio.tech
John Larkin John Larkin is offline

On Fri, 19 Sep 2008 08:24:50 -0400, Spehro Pefhany
wrote:

On Thu, 18 Sep 2008 20:23:29 -0700, the renowned John Larkin
wrote:

On Thu, 18 Sep 2008 20:06:43 -0700, Kevin McMurtrie

"Arny Krueger" wrote:

"Eeyore" wrote in
message
Kevin McMurtrie wrote:

In article ,
Damon Hill wrote:

RichD wrote in
:

Who do MOSFET sound better than bipolar, as an audio
amp output driver?

They do? Seems like it's possible to design good
amplifiers either way.

--Damon

Exactly - zero difference in quality capabilities. It's
usually a matter of impedance matching. Silicon
transistors have a fixed loss around 0.5 volts. MOSFETs
have a resistive loss inversely proportional to their
voltage rating. That usually makes MOSFETs less
expensive for low impedances and transistors less
expensive for high impedances.

TOTAL AND COMPLETE GARBAGE.

Agreed. Actually, what Kevin said is the exact reverse of generally accepted
practical knowledge. Bipolar is generally more efficient when the impedances
get really low. MOSFETs were trendy for a while, but most new power amp
designs seem to have bipolar outputs.

Time to check the specs for this decade. Visit IRF. You can get a
surface mount MOSFET in package similar to TO-220 that has 0.0008 Ohms
on resistance, 300W dissipation, 24V rating, and a 1600A surge rating.

Now I remember why I left this newsgroup.

IR is famous for creating incredible specs, with tiny footnotes
retracting the wilder numbers. No TO-220 is going to last long at 300
watts; not many milliseconds.

John

Anything approaching 1600A would blow the leadwires off a TO-220. The
fusing current of a long wire of that cross-section area is only in
the 30-50A range. 100A-rated wire is around 6mm (1/4") in diameter.

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany

Their selection tables show this as a 280 amp TO-220:

https://ec.irf.com/v6/en/US/adirect/...9+429 4852430

but the datasheet qualifies this as merely 75:

http://www.irf.com/product-info/data...ta/irf2804.pdf

They do rate it for 330 watts!

John

Posted to sci.electronics.design,rec.audio.tech
John Larkin John Larkin is offline

On Fri, 19 Sep 2008 18:10:20 +0100, Eeyore
wrote:

John Larkin wrote:

Eeyore wrote:
John Larkin wrote:
Eeyore wrote:

[...]

It needs a little loop tweaking, roughly....

V+
|\ |
-----------| + |
| out-------+------Rg--------g
+------| - | |
| |/ Cf |
| | |
+--------------------+------Rf---------+

Rs

+------------- output rail

and an opamp that can slam the gate hard enough, not a big problem
nowadays. That whole thing becomes one ideal pseudo-fet of many. Rs
can be small, and the quiescent bias voltage can be small, because the
opamp offset voltage can be tiny. The fets share the load exactly, and
the standing bias current can be designed in, exactly, with no
adjustments.

The driver stage sees only opamps, so doesn't have to work very hard.

Opamps are cheap, but fets and heat sinks are expensive. Power
all those gate-drive opamps from a DC-DC converter floating on the
output node; DC/DC bricks are cheap nowadays, too. Do a simple output
current limit for fast overloads and back that up with a digital fet
power dissipation simulation that provides the real protections.

I've toyed in the past with doing device protection using an analogue multiplier actually
funnily enough.

I digitize everything - heatsink temp, supply currents, load voltage -
and run a realtime simulation of fet power dissipation and resulting
junction temperature, with shutdown at, say, 140 C.

An adaptive fan speed would be a nice touch... no fan until it's
really needed. Maybe next time.

John

Posted to sci.electronics.design,rec.audio.tech

wrote:

John Larkin wrote:

Eeyore wrote:
John Larkin wrote:
Eeyore wrote:

Learn something about LATERAL mosfets that were designed for
audio. I've already given part number and links to data sheets.

That doesn't really matter. The transfer function only needs to be
continuous so that you can close a loop around it, and the fet
needs to be able to stand the peak power dissipation. That can
easily be done with vertical "switching" type fets. A modern
FLOOD architecture [1] works great with most any kind of fet.
Lots of things have changed in the last few decades.

John

[1] Of course you've never heard the term before. I just invented
it.

Fine. Can you elaborate some more on it ? Laterals have some truly
lovely features for audio. The only downside being a slightly
highish Ron. Not really a problem when (as I have) used as many as
6 in parallel (12 mosfets per channel / 24 per amp). They also
match beautifully with no need for source balance resistors (so
some of the Ron loss 'goes away').

An opamp per fet, closing a local loop, feedback from the fet
source, makes each fet look like a perfect unity-gain, fast,
zero-offset device.

Interesting idea. I'll have to chew that one over. I can see
possible problems fron op-amp output overshoot.

It needs a little loop tweaking, roughly....

V+
|\ |
-----------| + |
| out-------+------Rg--------g
+------| - | |
| |/ Cf |
| | |
+--------------------+------Rf---------+

Rs

+------------- output rail

and an opamp that can slam the gate hard enough, not a big problem
nowadays. That whole thing becomes one ideal pseudo-fet of many. Rs
can be small, and the quiescent bias voltage can be small, because the
opamp offset voltage can be tiny. The fets share the load exactly, and
the standing bias current can be designed in, exactly, with no
adjustments.

The driver stage sees only opamps, so doesn't have to work very hard.

However....there are some issues with using whole op-amps, rather than
discrete transistors as I have in the noted circuit in my other post. You
may need 200V+ ratings, and a very fast one at that!!!

Kevin Aylward

www.kevinaylward.co.uk

Posted to sci.electronics.design,rec.audio.tech
Jan Panteltje Jan Panteltje is offline

On a sunny day (Fri, 19 Sep 2008 19:39:51 GMT) it happened "Kevin Aylward"
wrote in
:

If you loo kat the TDA9274 datahseet (the ST DMOS chip), then in the
blockdiagram on page 2 you will see this is exactly what is done with
the lower output MOSFET, combined with opamp makes unity gain.
The top is already a source followwr.
The over current protection same thing, opamps.
It is likely this what makes the Boucherot network not needed.

I doubt it. I haven't seen the data sheet, but it is not usual to be able to
stabilise an amp with what I believe you are describing here.

It is always a good idea to lookuop what we are talking about.

Consider one amp feeding the other, both running open loop, with overall
feedback, to the 1st. Now consider the case where the second amp is
configured with local feedback, to make it a unity buffer, following the 1st
amp. Naively , one might argue that the 2nd stage now has a wider bandwidth,
due to feedback, such that the "new " system might be stable, i.e. one main
rolloff due to the 1st amp. However, in realty, topologically, nothing
changes.

Some people are really good at that stuff, sort of reasonin gI mean.

But if you look at the combination MOSFET - opamp, as John Larkin is describing
in an other post in this thread, then you can treat that as one 'perfect MOSFET'.
Of course it is not really perfect, but you can make that as stable or unstable as you want.
Then basically what you do is chaining stable blocks together.
If you then apply feedback, you have to use the phase characteristic of all those,
and, as long as you prevent too high frequencies from circulating, it should be stable,
and largely independent of the load.
I note the TDA9274 has one capacitor to roll of in the driver...
This is normal, at least in the amps I designed.

The determine the stability of the system, one needs to break the
loop at a point that breaks *all* feedback paths at once. This point will be
the point directly at the output of the 2nd amp. when this is done, it is
clear that the stabiliy is still due to the total loop gain of both amops
cascaded.

You mean 'open loop gain?'
Yes, but he second amp would have gain 1.

Excepting for the special cases, e.g. , where feedback is used to neutralise
r.f amps, feedback in general, cannot be used to widen bandwidth, if the
purpose of that wider bandwidth is to achieve stability, in this type of
arrangement

I was not suggesting to widen bandwidth, although strong local feedback would of course
widen the bandwidth of a stage,

Honestly, I have to think about this a bit, maybe run it in spice.
Fact remains that the TDA9274 is the only amp I know that needs no Boucherot circuit :-)

To wit, There is no such thing as a free lunch...

It seems to exist for US bankers ATM.

Posted to sci.electronics.design,rec.audio.tech
Don Pearce Don Pearce is offline

Kevin Aylward wrote:
Eeyore wrote:
John Larkin wrote:

Eeyore wrote:
John Larkin wrote:
Eeyore wrote:
[...]

Kevin - an interesting circuit, and I appreciate what you have done with
the output stage, but I'm still wondering why you didn't include it
within the global feedback loop - that could only have made it better,
lower output impedance, more load insensitive etc etc etc.

Can you explain the thinking?

Posted to sci.electronics.design,rec.audio.tech
RichD RichD is offline

On Sep 18, Eeyore wrote:
Who do MOSFET sound better than bipolar, as an audio
amp output driver?

As a driver ?
Now if you said as an output stage it might make sense.

There's a difference?

Damn right there is.

I'm thinking of the bits that attach to the
copper thingy which loops around the
magnets which make the air move.

-
Rich

Posted to sci.electronics.design,rec.audio.tech
Eeyore Eeyore is offline

Jan Panteltje wrote:

[...]

Thanks for the tip.

Opamps are cheap, but fets and heat sinks are expensive. Power
all those gate-drive opamps from a DC-DC converter floating on the
output node; DC/DC bricks are cheap nowadays, too. Do a simple output
current limit for fast overloads and back that up with a digital fet
power dissipation simulation that provides the real protections.

I've toyed in the past with doing device protection using an analogue multiplier actually
funnily enough.

I only see over current protection in a lot of amps, plus thermal,
the real thing was a bridge that caused foldback current limit,
couple of resistors and diodes, makes it any load proof.

Except you don't want an audio amp to foldback, just shut down when it sees an 'impossible'
load.

Graham

Posted to sci.electronics.design,rec.audio.tech
Eeyore Eeyore is offline

Kevin Aylward wrote:

Eeyore wrote:
John Larkin wrote:
Eeyore wrote:
John Larkin wrote:
Eeyore wrote:

[...]

Not exactly short of current mirrors ! ;~)

What gave you the idea ?

Graham

Posted to sci.electronics.design,rec.audio.tech
Eeyore Eeyore is offline

John Larkin wrote:

Spehro Pefhany wrote:

Anything approaching 1600A would blow the leadwires off a TO-220. The
fusing current of a long wire of that cross-section area is only in
the 30-50A range. 100A-rated wire is around 6mm (1/4") in diameter.

Their selection tables show this as a 280 amp TO-220:

https://ec.irf.com/v6/en/US/adirect/...9+429 4852430

but the datasheet qualifies this as merely 75:

http://www.irf.com/product-info/data...ta/irf2804.pdf

They do rate it for 330 watts!

Pulsed I hope !

Graham

Posted to sci.electronics.design,rec.audio.tech
Eeyore Eeyore is offline

John Larkin wrote:

Eeyore wrote:
John Larkin wrote:

An opamp per fet, closing a local loop, feedback from the fet source,
makes each fet look like a perfect unity-gain, fast, zero-offset
device.

Interesting idea. I'll have to chew that one over. I can see possible problems fron op-amp
output overshoot.

It needs a little loop tweaking, roughly....

V+
|\ |
-----------| + |
| out-------+------Rg--------g
+------| - | |
| |/ Cf |
| | |
+--------------------+------Rf---------+

Rs

+------------- output rail

and an opamp that can slam the gate hard enough, not a big problem
nowadays. That whole thing becomes one ideal pseudo-fet of many. Rs
can be small, and the quiescent bias voltage can be small, because the
opamp offset voltage can be tiny. The fets share the load exactly, and
the standing bias current can be designed in, exactly, with no
adjustments.

The driver stage sees only opamps, so doesn't have to work very hard.

It's certainly interesting.

I'm wondering what the transition from one side to the other would be like i.e the crossover
point. I'm wondering if one might get a brief dead band. What would be ideal would be if the
power device never fully turned off and left say 10mA Iq.

Opamps are cheap, but fets and heat sinks are expensive. Power
all those gate-drive opamps from a DC-DC converter floating on the
output node; DC/DC bricks are cheap nowadays, too. Do a simple output
current limit for fast overloads and back that up with a digital fet
power dissipation simulation that provides the real protections.

I've toyed in the past with doing device protection using an analogue multiplier actually

funnily enough.

I digitize everything - heatsink temp, supply currents, load voltage -
and run a realtime simulation of fet power dissipation and resulting
junction temperature, with shutdown at, say, 140 C.

Nice if you have the budget. I found a cheap NJR / JRC multiplier I had in mind.

An adaptive fan speed would be a nice touch... no fan until it's
really needed. Maybe next time.

Oh that's dead easy, transistor on the heatsink, measure Vbe for the constant blow rate plus
add a rectified sniff of the HT line ripple. The fans powers up before the heatsink gets hot.
Ordinary DC fans work fine off a variable voltage.

(c) me. LOL.

Graham

Posted to sci.electronics.design,rec.audio.tech
Eeyore Eeyore is offline

Kevin Aylward wrote:

John Larkin wrote:
Eeyore wrote:
John Larkin wrote:

An opamp per fet, closing a local loop, feedback from the fet
source, makes each fet look like a perfect unity-gain, fast,
zero-offset device.

Interesting idea. I'll have to chew that one over. I can see
possible problems fron op-amp output overshoot.

It needs a little loop tweaking, roughly....

V+
|\ |
-----------| + |
| out-------+------Rg--------g
+------| - | |
| |/ Cf |
| | |
+--------------------+------Rf---------+

Rs

+------------- output rail

and an opamp that can slam the gate hard enough, not a big problem
nowadays. That whole thing becomes one ideal pseudo-fet of many. Rs
can be small, and the quiescent bias voltage can be small, because the
opamp offset voltage can be tiny. The fets share the load exactly, and
the standing bias current can be designed in, exactly, with no
adjustments.

The driver stage sees only opamps, so doesn't have to work very hard.

However....there are some issues with using whole op-amps, rather than
discrete transistors as I have in the noted circuit in my other post. You
may need 200V+ ratings, and a very fast one at that!!!

If you could clamp the input, would that do it ?

Graham

Posted to sci.electronics.design,rec.audio.tech
Eeyore Eeyore is offline

RichD wrote:

Eeyore wrote:
Who do MOSFET sound better than bipolar, as an audio
amp output driver?

As a driver ?
Now if you said as an output stage it might make sense.

There's a difference?

Damn right there is.

I'm thinking of the bits that attach to the
copper thingy which loops around the
magnets which make the air move.

An unusual design but the copper thingy is very likely a heatsink, in
which case you're referring to the actual output devices. They in turn
usually have devices called 'drivers' which precede them, although it's
less necessary with mosfets, only for ultimate performance..

Graham

Posted to sci.electronics.design,rec.audio.tech
John Larkin John Larkin is offline

On Fri, 19 Sep 2008 23:29:40 +0100, Eeyore
wrote:

John Larkin wrote:

Spehro Pefhany wrote:

Anything approaching 1600A would blow the leadwires off a TO-220. The
fusing current of a long wire of that cross-section area is only in
the 30-50A range. 100A-rated wire is around 6mm (1/4") in diameter.

Their selection tables show this as a 280 amp TO-220:

https://ec.irf.com/v6/en/US/adirect/...9+429 4852430

but the datasheet qualifies this as merely 75:

http://www.irf.com/product-info/data...ta/irf2804.pdf

They do rate it for 330 watts!

Pulsed I hope !

Graham

Fig 8: 4KW for 100 usec, which isn't as frightening as 330 watts CW.

John

Posted to sci.electronics.design,rec.audio.tech
Eeyore Eeyore is offline

John Larkin wrote:

Eeyore wrote:
John Larkin wrote:
Spehro Pefhany wrote:

Anything approaching 1600A would blow the leadwires off a TO-220. The
fusing current of a long wire of that cross-section area is only in
the 30-50A range. 100A-rated wire is around 6mm (1/4") in diameter.

Their selection tables show this as a 280 amp TO-220:
https://ec.irf.com/v6/en/US/adirect/...9+429 4852430

but the datasheet qualifies this as merely 75:

http://www.irf.com/product-info/data...ta/irf2804.pdf

They do rate it for 330 watts!

Pulsed I hope !

Fig 8: 4KW for 100 usec, which isn't as frightening as 330 watts CW.

You just reminded me. There was one bipolar design I developed of a range of powers which was used
extensively across a range of products including rack mount amplifiers and powered mixers. We must
have built tens of thousands of the amp modules.

Late in the proving process I ran one up with no fan. The heatsink reached 150C and there was a
strong smell of hot aluminium plus creaking noises from thermal expansion before I took pity on it
and powered it down. Worked fine the next day. TO-3 devices you see. Can't beat them.

Graham

Posted to sci.electronics.design,rec.audio.tech
John Larkin John Larkin is offline

wrote:

John Larkin wrote:

Eeyore wrote:
John Larkin wrote:
Eeyore wrote:

Learn something about LATERAL mosfets that were designed for
audio. I've already given part number and links to data sheets.

That doesn't really matter. The transfer function only needs to be
continuous so that you can close a loop around it, and the fet
needs to be able to stand the peak power dissipation. That can
easily be done with vertical "switching" type fets. A modern
FLOOD architecture [1] works great with most any kind of fet.
Lots of things have changed in the last few decades.

John

[1] Of course you've never heard the term before. I just invented
it.

Fine. Can you elaborate some more on it ? Laterals have some truly
lovely features for audio. The only downside being a slightly
highish Ron. Not really a problem when (as I have) used as many as
6 in parallel (12 mosfets per channel / 24 per amp). They also
match beautifully with no need for source balance resistors (so
some of the Ron loss 'goes away').

An opamp per fet, closing a local loop, feedback from the fet
source, makes each fet look like a perfect unity-gain, fast,
zero-offset device.

Interesting idea. I'll have to chew that one over. I can see
possible problems fron op-amp output overshoot.

It needs a little loop tweaking, roughly....

V+
|\ |
-----------| + |
| out-------+------Rg--------g
+------| - | |
| |/ Cf |
| | |
+--------------------+------Rf---------+

Rs

+------------- output rail

and an opamp that can slam the gate hard enough, not a big problem
nowadays. That whole thing becomes one ideal pseudo-fet of many. Rs
can be small, and the quiescent bias voltage can be small, because the
opamp offset voltage can be tiny. The fets share the load exactly, and
the standing bias current can be designed in, exactly, with no
adjustments.

The driver stage sees only opamps, so doesn't have to work very hard.

However....there are some issues with using whole op-amps, rather than
discrete transistors as I have in the noted circuit in my other post. You
may need 200V+ ratings, and a very fast one at that!!!

The opamp power supply can be a cheap isolated dc/dc converter, +-12
volts maybe, floating on the output rail, so the opamps never see a
lot of swing. Of course, a real circuit needs some protections for
overload and startup conditions, but that's just a few diodes. The
opamp inputs need never go more than a few tenths of a volt above or
below the output rail.

The floating opamp supply allows one to truly saturate the fets and
swing the output all the way to both supply rails. (I assume some
number of N-channel and P-channel opamp-composite fets in a real amp.)
That pays for a dinky DC-DC sip thingie all by itself.

John

Posted to sci.electronics.design,rec.audio.tech
John Larkin John Larkin is offline

On Fri, 19 Sep 2008 23:39:10 +0100, Eeyore
wrote:

John Larkin wrote:

Eeyore wrote:
John Larkin wrote:

An opamp per fet, closing a local loop, feedback from the fet source,
makes each fet look like a perfect unity-gain, fast, zero-offset
device.

Interesting idea. I'll have to chew that one over. I can see possible problems fron op-amp
output overshoot.

It needs a little loop tweaking, roughly....

V+
|\ |
-----------| + |
| out-------+------Rg--------g
+------| - | |
| |/ Cf |
| | |
+--------------------+------Rf---------+

Rs

+------------- output rail

and an opamp that can slam the gate hard enough, not a big problem
nowadays. That whole thing becomes one ideal pseudo-fet of many. Rs
can be small, and the quiescent bias voltage can be small, because the
opamp offset voltage can be tiny. The fets share the load exactly, and
the standing bias current can be designed in, exactly, with no
adjustments.

The driver stage sees only opamps, so doesn't have to work very hard.

It's certainly interesting.

I'm wondering what the transition from one side to the other would be like i.e the crossover
point. I'm wondering if one might get a brief dead band. What would be ideal would be if the
power device never fully turned off and left say 10mA Iq.

Assuming some number of composite N-channel and P-channel fet
thingies, as a complementary follower, some bias voltage has to be
applied between the pseudo-gates (N-bank and P-bank opamp inputs) to
set the idle current. When the mess starts to drive a load in one
direction, some means ought to make sure the other bank doesn't go
off, but maintains its bias current. That takes a little more "analog
logic", still floating with all the rest of the stuff. That's not a
big deal.

Opamps are cheap, but fets and heat sinks are expensive. Power
all those gate-drive opamps from a DC-DC converter floating on the
output node; DC/DC bricks are cheap nowadays, too. Do a simple output
current limit for fast overloads and back that up with a digital fet
power dissipation simulation that provides the real protections.

I've toyed in the past with doing device protection using an analogue multiplier actually

funnily enough.

I digitize everything - heatsink temp, supply currents, load voltage -
and run a realtime simulation of fet power dissipation and resulting
junction temperature, with shutdown at, say, 140 C.

Nice if you have the budget. I found a cheap NJR / JRC multiplier I had in mind.

You can do that, simulate the Tj's, once for each bank...

Tnfet = Theatsink + K * (lowpass filter of) { (V+ - Vout) * Iout }

Tpfet = Theatsink + K * (lowpass filter of) { (V- - Vout) * Iout }

(except you have to get all the signs right)

where K relates to Theta-junction-heatsink and the lowpass filter
simulates the thermal mass of the silicon.

My NMR amps needed a uP and ADC and display anyhow, so the fancy
protections were pretty much just more code. The code runs at a few
KHz. A real PITA, but free in production.

My big amps display everything... temperatures, power supply voltages,
TRMS load current, output power, error messages, tons of stuff.

John

Posted to sci.electronics.design,rec.audio.tech
John Larkin John Larkin is offline

On Sat, 20 Sep 2008 00:07:58 +0100, Eeyore
wrote:

John Larkin wrote:

Eeyore wrote:
John Larkin wrote:
Spehro Pefhany wrote:

[...]

We tested a bunch of TO-247 power mosfets to destruction, in various
sadistic ways. One was pure temperature. Vgs-th drops as temp goes up.
The fets seemed to turn on hard, with 0 gate voltage, at 300C, but
recovered when cooled. After 330C, they died, on hard, and didn't
recover.

It's hard to buy TO-3 fets any more.

John

Posted to sci.electronics.design,rec.audio.tech
Eeyore Eeyore is offline

John Larkin wrote:

"Kevin Aylward" wrote:

However....there are some issues with using whole op-amps, rather than
discrete transistors as I have in the noted circuit in my other post. You
may need 200V+ ratings, and a very fast one at that!!!

The opamp power supply can be a cheap isolated dc/dc converter, +-12
volts maybe, floating on the output rail, so the opamps never see a
lot of swing. Of course, a real circuit needs some protections for
overload and startup conditions, but that's just a few diodes. The
opamp inputs need never go more than a few tenths of a volt above or
below the output rail.

The floating opamp supply allows one to truly saturate the fets and
swing the output all the way to both supply rails. (I assume some
number of N-channel and P-channel opamp-composite fets in a real amp.)
That pays for a dinky DC-DC sip thingie all by itself.

Yes you need some high side drive for that. I've used that in both my mosfet
and bipolar designs (to oversome multiple Vbe's (some of the drivers ran off
of the high side rail) AND a Baker clamp to stop the last voltage gain stage
transistor saturating).

You probably do only need input protection. Might need to be clever about
start up / turn-off conditions. Maybe a gate control ? I used that one on my
amps too. 100% effective against power-out damage even if the previous signal
chain generates a 'thump'.

Graham

Posted to sci.electronics.design,rec.audio.tech
Eeyore Eeyore is offline

John Larkin wrote:

Eeyore wrote:

I'm wondering what the transition from one side to the other would be like i.e the crossover

point. I'm wondering if one might get a brief dead band. What would be ideal would be if the
power device never fully turned off and left say 10mA Iq.

Assuming some number of composite N-channel and P-channel fet
thingies, as a complementary follower, some bias voltage has to be
applied between the pseudo-gates (N-bank and P-bank opamp inputs) to
set the idle current. When the mess starts to drive a load in one
direction, some means ought to make sure the other bank doesn't go
off, but maintains its bias current. That takes a little more "analog
logic", still floating with all the rest of the stuff. That's not a
big deal.

I wish it were that simple. It's defeated me for years. Maybe a new set of eyes can discover the
trick ?

[...]

Absolutely. You can get all the thermal time constants in there and so on.

My NMR amps needed a uP and ADC and display anyhow, so the fancy
protections were pretty much just more code. The code runs at a few
KHz. A real PITA, but free in production.

My big amps display everything... temperatures, power supply voltages,
TRMS load current, output power, error messages, tons of stuff.

Nice. The pro-audio market wouldn't buy it though. Price (and weight) is currently everything,
although there are a very few high end niche products with ethernet (or proprietary) control and
monitoring around.

Graham

Posted to sci.electronics.design,rec.audio.tech
Eeyore Eeyore is offline

John Larkin wrote:

Eeyore wrote:

You just reminded me. There was one bipolar design I developed of a range of powers which was used

extensively across a range of products including rack mount amplifiers and powered mixers. We
musthave built tens of thousands of the amp modules.

Late in the proving process I ran one up with no fan. The heatsink reached 150C and there was a

strong smell of hot aluminium plus creaking noises from thermal expansion before I took pity on it
and powered it down. Worked fine the next day. TO-3 devices you see. Can't beat them.

We tested a bunch of TO-247 power mosfets to destruction, in various
sadistic ways. One was pure temperature. Vgs-th drops as temp goes up.
The fets seemed to turn on hard, with 0 gate voltage, at 300C, but
recovered when cooled. After 330C, they died, on hard, and didn't
recover.

Were you estimating Tj ?

It's hard to buy TO-3 fets any more.

More's the shame. Tj max is typically rated 50C higher. And there are TWO bolts to hold then down with
too. Need I mention the advantages of that ?

Graham

Posted to sci.electronics.design,rec.audio.tech
John Larkin John Larkin is offline

On Sat, 20 Sep 2008 01:27:33 +0100, Eeyore
wrote:

John Larkin wrote:

Eeyore wrote:

You just reminded me. There was one bipolar design I developed of a range of powers which was used

extensively across a range of products including rack mount amplifiers and powered mixers. We
musthave built tens of thousands of the amp modules.

Late in the proving process I ran one up with no fan. The heatsink reached 150C and there was a

strong smell of hot aluminium plus creaking noises from thermal expansion before I took pity on it
and powered it down. Worked fine the next day. TO-3 devices you see. Can't beat them.

We tested a bunch of TO-247 power mosfets to destruction, in various
sadistic ways. One was pure temperature. Vgs-th drops as temp goes up.
The fets seemed to turn on hard, with 0 gate voltage, at 300C, but
recovered when cooled. After 330C, they died, on hard, and didn't
recover.

Were you estimating Tj ?

No, we were heating the fets externally.

It's hard to buy TO-3 fets any more.

More's the shame. Tj max is typically rated 50C higher. And there are TWO bolts to hold then down with
too. Need I mention the advantages of that ?

But you can put a lot more silicon into a TO-247, especially the
version without the mounting hole.

John

Posted to sci.electronics.design,rec.audio.tech
Eeyore Eeyore is offline

John Larkin wrote:

Eeyore wrote:
John Larkin wrote:

Eeyore wrote:

You just reminded me. There was one bipolar design I developed of a range of powers which was

used extensively across a range of products including rack mount amplifiers and powered mixers. We
musthave built tens of thousands of the amp modules.

Late in the proving process I ran one up with no fan. The heatsink reached 150C and there was a

strong smell of hot aluminium plus creaking noises from thermal expansion before I took pity on it

And my colleagues who were looking slightly anxious.

and powered it down. Worked fine the next day. TO-3 devices you see. Can't beat them.

We tested a bunch of TO-247 power mosfets to destruction, in various
sadistic ways. One was pure temperature. Vgs-th drops as temp goes up.
The fets seemed to turn on hard, with 0 gate voltage, at 300C, but
recovered when cooled. After 330C, they died, on hard, and didn't
recover.

Were you estimating Tj ?

No, we were heating the fets externally.

Sorry, I didn't read it properly.

How about by self-heating ?

It's hard to buy TO-3 fets any more.

More's the shame. Tj max is typically rated 50C higher. And there are TWO bolts to hold then down with

too. Need I mention the advantages of that ?

But you can put a lot more silicon into a TO-247, especially the
version without the mounting hole.

Well, at least clips or mounting bars won't bend the tab !

Semelab/Magnatec make lateral fets with 2 matched dies in TO-3. Beat that ! 250W true continuous Pd.
http://www.magnatec-uk.co.uk/latmos.shtml

And quads too by the look of it !
http://www.magnatec-uk.co.uk/mosdata.shtml

BUZ901X4S 200V 32A 500W SOT227
BUZ906X4S -200V -32A 500W SOT227

Graham

Posted to sci.electronics.design,rec.audio.tech
MooseFET MooseFET is offline

On Sep 19, 7:37*am, Eeyore
wrote:
MooseFET wrote:
Bewa *Mosfets like the STW55NM60 have a decreasing threshold
voltage for increasing temperature. *This means that biasing them to a
low idle current isn't so easy.

Indeed. You'll need lossy ballast resistors. Laterals are different that
way.

Yes, but once the STW55NM60 or equiv. is biased up, it makes a nice
200V at about 100KHz. Its not exactly audio but is sure isn't really
RF either.

Graham

Posted to sci.electronics.design,rec.audio.tech

MooseFET wrote:

On Sep 19, 7:37 am, Eeyore
wrote:
MooseFET wrote:
Bewa Mosfets like the STW55NM60 have a decreasing threshold
voltage for increasing temperature. This means that biasing them to a
low idle current isn't so easy.

Indeed. You'll need lossy ballast resistors. Laterals are different that
way.

Yes, but once the STW55NM60 or equiv. is biased up, it makes a nice
200V at about 100KHz. Its not exactly audio but is sure isn't really
RF either.

Tell that to WWVB, who transmits at 60 kHz.

--
http://improve-usenet.org/index.html

The crazy, and the insane.

Posted to sci.electronics.design,rec.audio.tech

Don Pearce wrote:
Kevin Aylward wrote:
Eeyore wrote:
John Larkin wrote:

Eeyore wrote:
John Larkin wrote:
Eeyore wrote:
[...]

It is.!!!

I think the schematic is not as clear as it should be.. I have a zero volt
source near the output devices in the feedback circuit to calculate LG. The
overall loop feedback passes through this source!!!

Regards

Kevin Aylward
www.blonddee.co.uk
www.kevinaylward.co.uk

Posted to sci.electronics.design,rec.audio.tech

Jan Panteltje wrote:
On a sunny day (Fri, 19 Sep 2008 19:39:51 GMT) it happened "Kevin
Aylward" wrote in
:

If you loo kat the TDA9274 datahseet (the ST DMOS chip), then in the
blockdiagram on page 2 you will see this is exactly what is done
with the lower output MOSFET, combined with opamp makes unity gain.
The top is already a source followwr.
The over current protection same thing, opamps.
It is likely this what makes the Boucherot network not needed.

I doubt it. I haven't seen the data sheet, but it is not usual to be
able to stabilise an amp with what I believe you are describing here.

It is always a good idea to lookuop what we are talking about.

Indeed.

[...]

If we consider calculating the actual LG=B(s).A(s) of the whole system, then
it is identical whther or not there is local feedback around the 2nd stage
or not.

Yes, you can analyse as you describe here, but the result must be identical,
as breaking all loops (if it can actually be done that is). So, it can't be
because there is a local loop that there is no zobel network.

I note the
TDA9274 has one capacitor to roll of in the driver... This is normal,
at least in the amps I designed.

The determine the stability of the system, one needs to break the
loop at a point that breaks *all* feedback paths at once. This point
will be the point directly at the output of the 2nd amp. when this
is done, it is clear that the stabiliy is still due to the total
loop gain of both amops cascaded.

You mean 'open loop gain?'

No. I mean the loop gain. The loop gain is the open loop gain X the beta
factor (e.g. resistive divider). It is the gain around the loop that
matters.

Yes, but he second amp would have gain 1.

But thats my point. Its irrelevent that the closed lop gain of the second
stage is unity when the loop is closed. When you do the stability analyisis
you need to break all the loops. As I said, if you break the loop directly
at the output of the second amp, which breaks both feedback loops at once,
it is obvious that there overal loop gain is not effected by having the 2nd
stage. It is the same loop gain

Excepting for the special cases, e.g. , where feedback is used to
neutralise r.f amps, feedback in general, cannot be used to widen
bandwidth, if the purpose of that wider bandwidth is to achieve
stability, in this type of arrangement

I was not suggesting to widen bandwidth, although strong local
feedback would of course widen the bandwidth of a stage,

But not the BW of the final, overall amp, so the BW of the internal stages
is irrelevant if it is the result of feedback.

What the local loop can buy you is reduced distortion at lower frequencies.

I ran these two circuits up quite a while ago. One has the UGB at the
output, one doesn't.

http://www.kevinaylward.co.uk/ee/cir...ortionAmp1.jpg
http://www.kevinaylward.co.uk/ee/cir...ortionAmp2.jpg

The UGB version had to be compensated earlier in frequency, i.e the non UGB
version was significantly faster. Unfortunately, I cant remember much of the
data, and I seem to have lost the SS files;-)

I think one had 0.0001% at 20khz.

Honestly, I have to think about this a bit, maybe run it in spice.
Fact remains that the TDA9274 is the only amp I know that needs no
Boucherot circuit :-)

I would wager it's "non-optimum" designed. You give up a bit if the output
load is not defined, usually. Without the zobel, the load reflected to the
gain stages is all over the place. My guess is that they had a design goal
of minimising the number of external components, which is standard practice
in designing ics, but consequently, gave up some potential performance
improvement.

To wit, There is no such thing as a free lunch...

It seems to exist for US bankers ATM.

Kevin Aylward
www.kevinaylward.co.uk
www.blonddee.co.uk

Posted to sci.electronics.design,rec.audio.tech

Eeyore wrote:
Kevin Aylward wrote:

Eeyore wrote:
John Larkin wrote:
Eeyore wrote:
John Larkin wrote:
Eeyore wrote:

[...]

The loop around the output came about from studying a patent that could not
work as claimed, around 1983. This patent claimed distortion reduction by
eliminating miller effect. It had a standard class A gain stage, but used a
cascode. However, the cascode transistor base was connected to the output in
a local feedback loop. This was the claim for distortion reduction. However,
to1st order, the voltage on the base of a cascode transistor, don't effect
anything. The input is current feed, irespective of the base potential,
therfore the could not be any signal feedback. This led me to consider a way
of doing it properly. I also noted that as the base was connected to the
output, the emmiter of the cascode, and the collecter of the driving
transister. hence the collecter still swings the full output, hence, millor
effect is still there. So, that patent was complete nonsense, and my final
circuit was completly different, but it followed from the thought flow of
that patent.

The key point in this approach was to get a push pull drive to both
outputs.,i.e. to avoid low turn off resisters, which kills gain and drive.

Kevin Aylward
www.blonddee.co.uk
www.kevinaylward.co.uk

Posted to sci.electronics.design,rec.audio.tech

Kevin Aylward wrote:
Don Pearce wrote:
Kevin Aylward wrote:
Eeyore wrote:
John Larkin wrote:

Eeyore wrote:
John Larkin wrote:
Eeyore wrote:
[...]

Ah, is that what it was? I thought you were putting actual voltage
sources in there that would be replaced by some small circuit in an
actual design. I hope you are connecting the sensing point of the
feedback resistor to the final summed speaker connection, not some
random point in amongst the bunch of fets (teaching granny to suck
eggs?) ;-)

Actually the "right" place to connect the feedback sensing resistor is
right out at the speaker itself, via a third sensing wire.

Posted to sci.electronics.design,rec.audio.tech
Eeyore Eeyore is offline

Kevin Aylward wrote:

Jan Panteltje wrote:

Honestly, I have to think about this a bit, maybe run it in spice.
Fact remains that the TDA9274 is the only amp I know that needs no
Boucherot circuit :-)

I would wager it's "non-optimum" designed. You give up a bit if the output
load is not defined, usually. Without the zobel, the load reflected to the
gain stages is all over the place. My guess is that they had a design goal
of minimising the number of external components, which is standard practice
in designing ics, but consequently, gave up some potential performance
improvement.

Absolutely. I always use an isolating inductor twixt amp and load and the series
RC to GND to define an accurate HF load.

Never heard it called a "Boucherot circuit" though. Zobel network is the popular
one here, although technically isn't that across the load itself ?

There's a lot to be said for impedance compensation of speaker drivers too.

Graham

Posted to sci.electronics.design,rec.audio.tech
Eeyore Eeyore is offline

Don Pearce wrote:

Actually the "right" place to connect the feedback sensing resistor is
right out at the speaker itself, via a third sensing wire.

You don't realise just how true that is. I've tuned pcb layouts for THD just by
moving that node. PCB layout guys look perplexed but thankfully usually do it. In
fact there's loads of layout tricks the PCB guys are hopeless at, loops in
particular.

In my 1200B design, all the power fets were mounted on a separate pcb to which
power, drive and feedback wires were attached, manually soldered. If you didn't
get the feedback wire bang in the centre up went the 2nd harmonic THD.

Graham

Posted to sci.electronics.design,rec.audio.tech
Eeyore Eeyore is offline

Don Pearce wrote:

Kevin Aylward wrote:
Don Pearce wrote:
Kevin Aylward wrote:
Eeyore wrote:
John Larkin wrote:
Eeyore wrote:
John Larkin wrote:
Eeyore wrote:
[...]

Better still, have differential sensing, to compensate for the volt drop in the
groundy side wire too !

Graham

Posted to sci.electronics.design,rec.audio.tech
Jan Panteltje Jan Panteltje is offline

On a sunny day (Sat, 20 Sep 2008 09:11:49 GMT) it happened "Kevin Aylward"
wrote in
:

I was not suggesting to widen bandwidth, although strong local
feedback would of course widen the bandwidth of a stage,

But not the BW of the final, overall amp, so the BW of the internal stages
is irrelevant if it is the result of feedback.

What the local loop can buy you is reduced distortion at lower frequencies.

I ran these two circuits up quite a while ago. One has the UGB at the
output, one doesn't.

http://www.kevinaylward.co.uk/ee/cir...ortionAmp1.jpg

Now that gets complicated, Q4 and the 2 diodes in the emitter...

http://www.kevinaylward.co.uk/ee/cir...ortionAmp2.jpg

The UGB version had to be compensated earlier in frequency, i.e the non UGB
version was significantly faster. Unfortunately, I cant remember much of the
data, and I seem to have lost the SS files;-)

I think one had 0.0001% at 20khz.

Yes, very good. Why use dotted paper ;-)

Posted to sci.electronics.design,rec.audio.tech
Jan Panteltje Jan Panteltje is offline

On a sunny day (Sat, 20 Sep 2008 10:22:09 +0100) it happened Don Pearce
wrote in
:

Actually the "right" place to connect the feedback sensing resistor is
right out at the speaker itself, via a third sensing wire.

Ha, why did I never think of that...
This will eliminate my massive gold feed rods to the woofer.

You will need 2 sensing wires, and a diff amp.
Posted to sci.electronics.design,rec.audio.tech
Jan Panteltje Jan Panteltje is offline

On a sunny day (Fri, 19 Sep 2008 23:24:02 +0100) it happened Eeyore
wrote in
:

I only see over current protection in a lot of amps, plus thermal,
the real thing was a bridge that caused fold back current limit,
couple of resistors and diodes, makes it any load proof.

Except you don't want an audio amp to foldback, just shut down when it sees an 'impossible'
load.

Graham

That depends, if you just current limit, and have thermal protection, then
that takes time, perhaps enough time to melt some silicon.

If an amp is designed for 4 Ohm minimum load, and somebody connects 2 speakers
in parallel (for example), then current limit will step in.
The voltage drop will be small over the 2 Ohm (or lower, in case of a near short),
so say the transistors will have near full voltage at max current.
It is clear that when current limiting, then you can lower the reference for the current limit
circuit for low output voltages.
This reduces dissipation.

In fact (but this may hurt audio-people's egos perhaps), an audio amp
is nothing but 2 symmetrical regulated power supplies ;-)
In such a power supply one often also uses fold back for protection against
bad loads, example 7805 regulator...