Need CLIPS for pairs of audio faders: Scott, Mike, others?

Old November 20th 08, 06:41 PM posted to rec.audio.pro

Default Need CLIPS for pairs of audio faders: Scott, Mike, others?

Can any of our audio gurus point me to a specialized piece of audio
"equipment," either pre-made or some obvious home-made solution?

In my PEG Access TV studio, most of the inputs to our audio mixer are
stereo, and they end up on two separate faders, panned L-R. I have
seen mixers with clips that make the two faders move as one. Any idea
where I could get some? (A primitive device which clips onto or is
screwed over a pair of faders).

I can anticipate the obvious question - what brand-model of mixer. I
don't know! We're currently using a 32-in Mackie and a similar
Behringer, but I plan to buy a new mixer, brand undetermined.

(I did a post here a few weeks ago about what mixer to get for a TV
studio with many stereo inputs. None of the research I've done has
turned up a suitable (and affordable) "broadcast board" (with many
stereo inputs), so I'll probably be using a monster recording/live
board.)

Many of our users are amateurs, and it is hard to get them to use
pairs of faders. I am hoping a clip on each pair would make it more
obvious, even unavoidable.
Old November 20th 08, 06:56 PM posted to rec.audio.pro
Mark

> Many of our users are amateurs, and it is hard to get them to use
> pairs of faders. I am hoping a clip on each pair would make it more
> obvious, even unavoidable.

isn't that what gaffers tape was made for?

:-)

Mark
Old November 20th 08, 07:07 PM posted to rec.audio.pro

> wrote:
>Can any of our audio gurus point me to a specialized piece of audio
>"equipment," either pre-made or some obvious home-made solution?
>
>In my PEG Access TV studio, most of the inputs to our audio mixer are
>stereo, and they end up on two separate faders, panned L-R. I have
>seen mixers with clips that make the two faders move as one. Any idea
>where I could get some? (A primitive device which clips onto or is
>screwed over a pair of faders).

We always made our own. Draw it out, take it down to your local custom
motorcycle shop and have them cut you some. Explain to them that you want
it out of aluminum so it's easy to make.

>I can anticipate the obvious question - what brand-model of mixer. I
>don't know! We're currently using a 32-in Mackie and a similar
>Behringer, but I plan to buy a new mixer, brand undetermined.

They will be different for every mixer. I have some for API 440s
somewhere around if you happen to have an old API console.

>(I did a post here a few weeks ago about what mixer to get for a TV
>studio with many stereo inputs. None of the research I've done has
>turned up a suitable (and affordable) "broadcast board" (with many
>stereo inputs), so I'll probably be using a monster recording/live
>board.)

I think this will be a mistake, because you will find it is easier to
mess things up on a big general purpose console because there are so many
more control and more routing features. And there are a lot of used
broadcast consoles out there for cheap.

>Many of our users are amateurs, and it is hard to get them to use
>pairs of faders. I am hoping a clip on each pair would make it more
>obvious, even unavoidable.

Have you considered mono? It's the future, you know.
Old November 20th 08, 07:21 PM posted to rec.audio.pro

On Nov 20, 1:56*pm, Mark > wrote:
> > Many of our users are amateurs, and it is hard to get them to use
> > pairs of faders. I am hoping a clip on each pair would make it more
> > obvious, even unavoidable.

> isn't that what gaffers tape was made for?
>
> :-)
>
> Mark

ECCCCHHHHH!
Old November 20th 08, 07:27 PM posted to rec.audio.pro

On Nov 20, 2:07*pm, (Scott Dorsey) wrote:
> > wrote:
> >Can any of our audio gurus point me to a specialized piece of audio
> >"equipment," either pre-made or some obvious home-made solution?

> >In my PEG Access TV studio, most of the inputs to our audio mixer are
> >stereo, and they end up on two separate faders, panned L-R. I have
> >seen mixers with clips that make the two faders move as one. Any idea
> >where I could get some? (A primitive device which clips onto or is
> >screwed over a pair of faders).

> We always made our own. *Draw it out, take it down to your local custom
> motorcycle shop and have them cut you some. *Explain to them that you want
> it out of aluminum so it's easy to make.

I may have to, if nobody else has another source. I don't know why
Markertek doesn't have them, or even Mackie themselves.

> >I can anticipate the obvious question - what brand-model of mixer. I
> >don't know! We're currently using a 32-in Mackie and a similar
> >Behringer, but I plan to buy a new mixer, brand undetermined.

> They will be different for every mixer. *I have some for API 440s
> somewhere around if you happen to have an old API console.
>
> >(I did a post here a few weeks ago about what mixer to get for a TV
> >studio with many stereo inputs. None of the research I've done has
> >turned up a suitable (and affordable) "broadcast board" (with many
> >stereo inputs), so I'll probably be using a monster recording/live
> >board.)

> I think this will be a mistake, because you will find it is easier to
> mess things up on a big general purpose console because there are so many
> more control and more routing features.

On the other hand, they come in handy for mix minuses, and fixing eq
issues. And best of all, I can get beaucoups of channels, cheap.

*And there are a lot of used
> broadcast consoles out there for cheap.

My luck with used has been poor. I first tried a used Behringerm but a
few channel died. Then I schmoozed into a used Mackie 32-in, but it's
developed a tendency for the left channel to drop out (of everything)
intermittently. On the TV side, I got a used vectorscope, and it
exploded the first day (well, it smoked and burned up.)

> >Many of our users are amateurs, and it is hard to get them to use
> >pairs of faders. I am hoping a clip on each pair would make it more
> >obvious, even unavoidable.

> Have you considered mono? *It's the future, you know.

Let me answer, mono y mono: I'm having enough trouble trying to get
everything digital and HDTV, as it is!

> --scott
> --
> "C'est un Nagra. *C'est suisse, et tres, tres precis."

What the heck does this translate to?

Old November 20th 08, 07:40 PM posted to rec.audio.pro

> wrote:
>On Nov 20, 2:07=A0pm, (Scott Dorsey) wrote:
>> We always made our own. =A0Draw it out, take it down to your local custom
>> motorcycle shop and have them cut you some. =A0Explain to them that you w=

>ant
>> it out of aluminum so it's easy to make.

>I may have to, if nobody else has another source. I don't know why
>Markertek doesn't have them, or even Mackie themselves.

Because no two consoles are the same. And sometimes you need to move
more than two channels at a time, too, which usually us a pencil and
rubber band kind of operation.

>=A0And there are a lot of used
>> broadcast consoles out there for cheap.

>My luck with used has been poor. I first tried a used Behringerm but a
>few channel died. Then I schmoozed into a used Mackie 32-in, but it's
>developed a tendency for the left channel to drop out (of everything)
>intermittently. On the TV side, I got a used vectorscope, and it
>exploded the first day (well, it smoked and burned up.)

I don't think I have bought more than one or two new items (more than
a patch cord anyway) in the past thirty years. Just about everything here
is used. I don't see any reason to pay new prices. But I also wouldn't
buy disposable gear used.... by the time it sells used, its short lifetime
is over.
--scott

>> "C'est un Nagra. =A0C'est suisse, et tres, tres precis."

>What the heck does this translate to?

"It's a Nagra. It's Swiss, and very very precise." It's a misquote from
the film Diva, but by the time I found I had misquoted it, I'd been using
it for fifteen years and it was too late to change.

Old November 20th 08, 07:44 PM posted to rec.audio.pro
jakdedert

wrote:
> On Nov 20, 2:07 pm, (Scott Dorsey) wrote:
>> > wrote:

<snip>

> And there are a lot of used
>> broadcast consoles out there for cheap.

It's been said--and refuted, to some degree--but you get what you pay for.

> My luck with used has been poor. I first tried a used Behringerm but a
> few channel died. Then I schmoozed into a used Mackie 32-in, but it's
> developed a tendency for the left channel to drop out (of everything)
> intermittently. On the TV side, I got a used vectorscope, and it
> exploded the first day (well, it smoked and burned up.)

Scott's not talking about buying already-marginal, used, MI-grade junk.
He referenced professional *broadcast quality* gear; most of which has
been professionally maintained over its lifetime...and specifically
built for the application you describe. You consistently ignore the
recommendations made here and come back looking for more...which you
then criticize.

>>> Many of our users are amateurs, and it is hard to get them to use
>>> pairs of faders. I am hoping a clip on each pair would make it more
>>> obvious, even unavoidable.

Gaff a pencil onto the two faders. Problem solved.

>> Have you considered mono? It's the future, you know.

> Let me answer, mono y mono: I'm having enough trouble trying to get
> everything digital and HDTV, as it is!
>
>> --scott
>> --
>> "C'est un Nagra. C'est suisse, et tres, tres precis."

> What the heck does this translate to?

Reference the link below....

<http://letmegooglethatforyou.com/?q=google+translate>

jak
Old November 21st 08, 12:34 AM posted to rec.audio.pro

Jack wrote:

>> My luck with used has been poor. I first tried a used Behringerm
>>but a few channel died. Then I schmoozed into a used Mackie 32-in,
>>but it's developed a tendency for the left channel to drop out
>>(of everything) intermittently. On the TV side, I got a used
>>vectorscope, and it exploded the first day (well, it smoked and

>burned up.) >
>Scott's not talking about buying already-marginal, used, MI-grade
>junk. He referenced professional *broadcast quality* gear; most of
>which has been professionally maintained over its lifetime...and
>specifically built for the application you describe.

Jack's right on the money with this. tHe Mackie Behringer
stuff is not designed for your application, is often not
professionally maintained. By the time you buy it used,
it's a bick lighter. throw the sucker away.

IN fact, pro bc gear would be easier for your "amateurs" to
get their heads around. THey don't have to remember wtf aux
bus is or similar terminology. THe sucker is labeled,
control room, etc.

IF you need oodles of channels cheap, then get you a Mackie
or Behringer and run it as a side car, but give your
"amateur" volunteers a chance to figure out what's what by
providing a regular broadcast console for master control.

>>> Have you considered mono? It's the future, you know.

>> Let me answer, mono y mono: I'm having enough trouble trying to
>>get everything digital and HDTV, as it is!

ANd most folks who are going to watch "public access tv" are
watching in mono anyway. dO you listen to your air chain
for mono compatability, or do you not bother with that?

Richard webb,
replace anything before at with elspider

--- Benjamin Franklin, NOvember 1755 from the
Historical review of Pennsylvania

Great audio is never heard by the average person, but bad
audio is heard by everyone.
Old November 21st 08, 01:00 AM posted to rec.audio.pro
Richard Crowley

> wrote ...
> (Scott Dorsey) wrote:
>> We always made our own. Draw it out, take it down to your local custom
>> motorcycle shop and have them cut you some. Explain to them that you want
>> it out of aluminum so it's easy to make.

> I may have to, if nobody else has another source. I don't know why
> Markertek doesn't have them, or even Mackie themselves.

As you have tacitly admitted yourself, it depends on exactly which
equipment you have, and even which sliders you are wanting to join.
It is easy enough to mill out a chunk of aluminum with slots of the
apprporiate size and spacing. But only AFTER you know what
the size and spacing are.

I would propose that people with your application aren't using Mackie
(or other MI) mixers, but rather more broadcast-like equipment (which
doesn't need stereo knobs) such as Mr Dorsey is suggesting. That would
explain the lack of commercially-available knobs.