sam

Default Mackie 1642-VLZ preamps vs Aardvark Q10 preamps? other suggestions?

hi, i'm interested in recording a drumset, i'm looking for something that
can handle 8 mics. i want to record each mic as a seperate track, not a
stereo mix from a mixer. it was suggested to me in rmmp that i get myself
a mackie mixer and run it into an aardvark aark 20/20 or aark 24. it was
also suggested that since i will only be recording and will be eqing via
software that i look at the aardvark q10 because it does the job of the
mixer and pc interface for half the price..

i'm sure the mackie preamps are good enough for me and quite frankly i'm
not interested on spending $5000 for preamps, my question is, does anyone
know how the q10's preamps stack up to the mackies? is there any other
equipment i should be considering? thanks

Mike Rivers

In article writes:

i'm sure the mackie preamps are good enough for me and quite frankly i'm
not interested on spending $5000 for preamps, my question is, does anyone
know how the q10's preamps stack up to the mackies? is there any other
equipment i should be considering? thanks

They're probably about the same for your purposes. Understand that in
any product that isn't either a high end console or a dedicated mic
preamp, you really aren't paying for built-in mic preamps. Sure, they
cost a few bucks more than not having them, but for the most part
they're giveaways. If the Q10 has enough mic inputs for your use, I'd
say go for it.

If you try everything else and find that you still can't make a good
recording with it, then go for something better (and more expensive)
than the Mackie - maybe spend the price of a Mackie on two channels of
better preamp. But understand that buying a marginally better (if this
is even the case here) preamp isn't a substitute for a good
microphone, proper placement, or, in your case, good tuning and
playing of the drums in a good sounding room.

Sorry to bust your dreams that you can solve all the problems you
don't know you have by spending a little money on a mixer (or not),
but mic preamps won't be your major worry.

--
I'm really Mike Rivers - )