Posted to rec.audio.high-end
---MIKE--- ---MIKE--- is offline

Default XM home tuner

I have been enjoying the three classical channels on XM radio in my car.
I am interested in getting a tuner to hook up to my stereo system in my
home. I don't care about docking for an ipod etc. - just a tuner with a
remote and a title display. Suggestions ----

---MIKE---
In the White Mountains of New Hampshire
(44=B0 15' N - Elevation 1580')

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Audio Empire Audio Empire is offline

On Fri, 15 Jan 2010 08:06:32 -0800, John Stone wrote
(in article ):

On 1/14/10 7:16 PM, in article , "---MIKE---"
wrote:

I have been enjoying the three classical channels on XM radio in my car.
I am interested in getting a tuner to hook up to my stereo system in my
home. I don't care about docking for an ipod etc. - just a tuner with a
remote and a title display. Suggestions ----

---MIKE---
In the White Mountains of New Hampshire
(44=B0 15' N - Elevation 1580')

There are a couple of portable units available that let you move the unit
between the house and car, but for home use these require the addition of a
power supply, antenna, and interconnects. Example: Audiovox XMCK20AP. From
what I see, it will take around $150 minimum for the hardware, plus the
subscription to get you into XM for the house. Do you have high speed
internet? If so, internet radio streamed from your computer is a far cheaper
way to go and will give you access to thousands of stations for no extra
cost. All you need is a connection between the audio out of your computer
and your stereo system.

Actually, if you subscribe to either Dish Network or DirecTV satellite TV
service, the XM/Sirius radio stations come with even the most basic packages.
I listen to the three classical XM/Sirius stations (Classical Pops, Symphony,
and Opera) as well as the "classic jazz" station that way. Lately (since the
latest software update, anyway) I have been accessing Internet radio via my
AppleTV box. There are scores of classical and jazz stations available that
way. The nice thing about AppleTV, is that it doesn't need your computer to
be on in order to use it to access these radio stations. It communicates with
my 802.11n router wirelessly and connects that way directly with my cable
modem wide-band internet interface. I find that some of the feeds actually
don't sound all that bad (especially as background music, which is mostly
what radio is for anyway). I'm especially impressed with Radio Switzerland's
Classical and Jazz feeds as well as WQXR in New York City. An AppleTV box is
only $225 and there is no subscription fee for the radio. It's also useful
for viewing one's digital photo collection on one's HDTV, and as a general
purpose music server. I connect the TOSLINK SPDIF output of my AppleTV Box to
my stereo via my stand-alone 24/96 DAC. Ripping my CDs to iTunes using
Apple's lossless compression setting, gives me excellent results from my CDs.
I highly recommend the AppleTV box. It's cheap, works well, and the only
downside is that you need to have your TV on to navigate through it. Of
course, in order to use it for ripping a music library or accessing one's
photos requires an iTunes computer interface to "sync" those libraries, but
iTunes is free and available for Windows as well as the Mac, so that should
be no problem for most people.

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
---MIKE--- ---MIKE--- is offline

I wrote:

I don't care about docking for an ipod
etc. - just a tuner with a remote and a
title display.

Thank you for responding but my real question has not been answered. I
am not interested in alternatives - just a tuner.

---MIKE---
In the White Mountains of New Hampshire
(44=B0 15' N - Elevation 1580')

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Dave Cook[_2_] Dave Cook[_2_] is offline

On 2010-01-15, Audio Empire wrote:
what radio is for anyway). I'm especially impressed with Radio Switzerland's
Classical and Jazz feeds as well as WQXR in New York City. An AppleTV box is

Another excellent sounding internet station is "MR3-Bartók Rádió
(Budapest, Hungary)" as it shows up on my Squeezebox display. This
seems to be all live music, broadcast at 320 kbps.

Dave Cook
Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Dave Cook[_2_] Dave Cook[_2_] is offline

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
C. Leeds C. Leeds is offline

John Stone wrote (about XM tuners):

If you want something specifically
geared to home audio then you have to go with an AM/FM unit with XM
capability...

No, you're mistaken. There are dedicated, XM-only tuners.

Here's the grand-daddy of them all:
http://www.magnumdynalab.com/xm-radios-609t.htm
Tubes. About $4,000.

or:
http://www.magnumdynalab.com/xmtuner-606t.htm
Tubes. About $2,500.

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
mpresley mpresley is offline

On 01/21/2010 04:36 PM, C. Leeds wrote:

Here's the grand-daddy of them all:
http://www.magnumdynalab.com/xm-radios-609t.htm
Tubes. About $4,000.

Four large for an XM radio with cryogenic tubes? Thanks for restoring
my faith in the rational faculties of men.

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Bruce Merkin Bruce Merkin is offline

I have the NAD M4 Digital tuner which is a good AM/FM tuner ($1299),=20
plus the XM Mini-tuner with Home Dock ($65), an outdoor XM satellite=20
antenna ($125) and the Magnum-Dynalab ST-2 outdoor whip antenna ($110) =20
- all of which sounds great on my stereo. The outdoor antennas were=20
the keys to better radio reception and sound quality, for me.

On 2010-01-14 20:16:34 -0500, ---MIKE--- said:

I have been enjoying the three classical channels on XM radio in my car=

..
I am interested in getting a tuner to hook up to my stereo system in my
home. I don't care about docking for an ipod etc. - just a tuner with =

remote and a title display. Suggestions ----
=20
=20
---MIKE---