Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to rec.audio.car
Doug McLaren Doug McLaren is offline

Default LA Sound Redondo 80 ... simple questions

Just picked up a used LA Sound Redondo 80 amplifier. No instructions,
of course.

Looks like it's rated at 35w x 4 at 2 ohms, or 20w x 4 at 4 ohms.
What would happen if I used 8 ohm speakers? Just less power? The
release of magic smoke?

I haven't checked my speakers, but the last time I messed with stereos
(decades ago!) 8 ohms was the standard. Has this changed?

I plan on powering it with a deep cycle 12v battery and feeding it
with an iPod directly to the line inputs.

Would it get upset if I put the inputs in parallel and the outputs in
parallel so that two channels drove each speaker for more power? I
assume I need to make sure the polarities of the wires all match, but
beyond that, it should work, no?

It's got two big power wires -- red and black, it's obvious what
they're for -- but there's also a smaller pink one. What's that for?
My guess is that the red and black can be wired directly to the
battery, and the pink one can be wired to the car stereo or ignition,
to be hot when the amplifier should turn on. Or is it something else?

Thanks in advance ...

--
Doug McLaren,