Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to rec.audio.tech

Default Bose 901 EQ distortion

Richard Crowley wrote:

"GregS" wrote...

"Richard Crowley" wrote:

Is the curve of the Bose EQ box published anywhere?

I think I saw it on the patent.

Anyway, its flat from 100 to about 2 kHz. There is up to an 18 dB
peak at 30 Hz,
and a 12 dB peak at 12 kHz. Essentially, most everything is lost
above 12 kHz.

Studio sound mentioned 22 dB of eq, which lead to it being impossible for
Hugh Ford to measure on the eq version they tested because 1 volt input at
20 kHz caused clipping. I can't get into detail, the paper the print was on
has been recycled long time ago.

That would make a bullhorn or a telephone sound good! :-)

We have to take this in stages, first we teach him what a good EQ is, next
he begins to wonder - like everybody else - about the wisdom of using
midrange units for full range audio. It is no good to just flame the
boseaholics, they need to be taught. It is of course cheaper to just replace
the loudspeakers without getting another eq or getting the broken one fixed,
except that Bose reportedly will take a look on the actual eq box and fix it
if broken.

In the real life, outside the world of the brochures, many loudspeaker-room
combinations will benefit from eq, but as a general guideline something is
broken or ill applied if more than 6 dB boost is relevant, narrow 8 db cuts
may be very relevant in the low range in rooms that have no low range
acoustics regulation, ie. bass traps.

Kind regards

Peter Larsen