---MIKE---

Default Subwoofer bass rolloff

I have a large listening room which needs several sub-woofers to give
adequate bass. I am only interested in the range above about 32 hz.
When I play some recordings with organ that have strong output below 32
hz, the woofers give signs of distress. What is the best way to reduce
the input to the subs below 32 hz?

-MIKE
Mark Wilkinson

(---MIKE---) wrote in message ...
I have a large listening room which needs several sub-woofers to give
adequate bass. I am only interested in the range above about 32 hz.
When I play some recordings with organ that have strong output below 32
hz, the woofers give signs of distress. What is the best way to reduce
the input to the subs below 32 hz?

-MIKE

As Tom posted, you need a high pass filter. I think the way to go is
with a dsp xover/loudspeaker manager. Most all prosound setups use
them to protect the subs, and integrate the subs with the mains, along
with a host of other functions. You of course don't need all the
functions, but they've become so dang cheap ..... take the Behringer
dcx2496 at less than $350 street .. it will give you high pass
filtering with adjustable slopes/types up to 48 db/oct, along with
complete xover funtions if you wish to alter the overlap between mains
and subs (that is low pass the subs and high pass the mains). IMO,
this is invaluable for dialing in a system. You'll get full input and
output level controls, parametric and graphic eqs (number of limited
only by dsp resources), and delay/phase compensation, as well as the
standard polarity functions. You CAN use all these functions. Rane,
dbx driverack, bss, xta, are other brands at an array of slightly
higher to waay higher price points. If you want to get really snazzy,
look into the combination matrix mixers/speaker managers. Biamp,
Symetrix, Rane, Mackie industrial ... if you're playing with multiple
channel audio, or need different speaker configurations without
hooking/unhook gear, these things are friggin great.

The only downside to them that I see (it's not sonics -- I've got a
bunch of quality analog gear for comparison, and the dsp's are IMO at
least as clean if not cleaner)is that you have to expand your system
knowledge. They take a while to master, but it's well worth the
effort.

I guess I've gotten a little carried away with a gear recommendation
when all you specified is a simple HPF ... it's just that the dsps are
so cheap, and you can learn so much, AND most importantly,improve your
sound. FWIW

---MIKE---

I went to the Paradigm web site to get more information but when I tried
to enter, I kept getting the original page back. Actually. I was
looking for a "cheaper" solution like a series capacitor or network.

-MIKE
Michael Mckelvy

"---MIKE---" wrote in message
The subwoofer that "complains" is a Definitive Technology 15", 250 Watt
unit. To get decent response in the range above 32hz, it is turned up
too much for the occasional "blasts" below 32hz. Afford a large
listening room? My home is a log home 22' X 30'. The main section is
one room with an 18' cathedral ceiling and the bedrooms and bathroom are
in the foundation. It is hardly a luxury home. All I am looking for is
a way to REDUCE the response below 32hz.

-MIKE

There's no reason to reduce it. Organ music can reach down well below 32 Hz
so why filter it out?

Unless Defintive Technology is using a very poor quality driver you should
have no worry about damage to the subwoofer's driver, unless you really have
the volume cranked.

What kind of distress do you mean? Distortion or lots of cone movement?

In the former you either are playing it so loud that you are generating
distorion from the amp or there may be some problem with the sub's amp.

In the latter deep bass does indeed make the cone move a lot.