Posted to rec.audio.pro
jkdrummer jkdrummer is offline

Default Tascam 244 Portastudio - worth?

My buddy has a Tascam 244 Portastudio cassette recorder sittin' around
and he'd like to sell it. What's this thing worth? I researched via
Google and eBay and didn't find any recent values for this piece.

TIA,
JaKe, Seattle
http://jkdrummer.blogspot.com

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Mike Rivers Mike Rivers is offline

On Oct 23, 10:13 am, jkdrummer wrote:
My buddy has a Tascam 244 Portastudio cassette recorder sittin' around
and he'd like to sell it. What's this thing worth?

$10 if it works.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

jkdrummer wrote:
On Oct 23, 7:54 am, Mike Rivers wrote:
On Oct 23, 10:13 am, jkdrummer wrote:

My buddy has a Tascam 244 Portastudio cassette recorder sittin' around
and he'd like to sell it. What's this thing worth?

$10 if it works.

LOL! That bad huh?

Say a six-pack.

Remember, you're gonna have to change the belts and pinch roller on the
thing if it's been sitting around for a while anyway. This is probably
going to cost more than the thing is worth.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Fraser Scott Fraser is offline

What's this thing worth?

He might get a small tax deduction if he drops it off at Goodwil or
Salvation Army. It has essentially no monetary value.

Scott Fraser

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Tobiah Tobiah is offline

jkdrummer wrote:
My buddy has a Tascam 244 Portastudio cassette recorder sittin' around
and he'd like to sell it. What's this thing worth? I researched via
Google and eBay and didn't find any recent values for this piece.

TIA,
JaKe, Seattle
http://jkdrummer.blogspot.com

Ebay may not have had any comparable sells in a while, but Ebay
can still let you know exactly what the unit is worth -- auction it!

You might be surprised how many nostalgic buyers out there might
want the unit just to remember good times with their first sound on
sound machine.

I am guessing you will get $40.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Joe Kramer Joe Kramer is offline

jkdrummer wrote:
My buddy has a Tascam 244 Portastudio cassette recorder sittin' around
and he'd like to sell it. What's this thing worth?

The sound of these cassette multitrackers can be used creatively for
mood and effect, like some photographers use cheap cameras with plastic
lenses for effect. Listen to some stuff by Latin Playboys, which were
essentially Los Lobos and Mitchell Froom.

So the question is "what's it worth" should be qualified a little. It
really depends on who will be using it and for what purpose. If you
want/need it for a certain "sound," it could be worth a little more than
if you plan to use it for some utility purpose, like as a lid on a
bucket of frogs.

Regards,
Joe

schmoehawke schmoehawke is offline
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdrummer View Post
My buddy has a Tascam 244 Portastudio cassette recorder sittin' around
and he'd like to sell it. What's this thing worth? I researched via
Google and eBay and didn't find any recent values for this piece.

TIA,
JaKe, Seattle
http://jkdrummer.blogspot.com
I'm interested. I have some tapes recorded on one. I'll offer you $40 and pay shipping. In fact, I'll give you $40, use it to make transfers and send it back.

That is if it runs!!
Reubdot Reubdot is offline
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by schmoehawke View Post
I'm interested. I have some tapes recorded on one. I'll offer you $40 and pay shipping. In fact, I'll give you $40, use it to make transfers and send it back.

That is if it runs!!
I also have a Tascam 244 Portastudio, only made 30 minutes of of recordings.
I installed new belts, but haven't had time to record. I really planned on selling it!