Posted to rec.audio.car
[email protected] chankiho@gmail.com is offline

Default poor AM signal

First, please excuse my english.

Here is my problem. I have problem getting proper AM signal when
installing a stereo to the wires of the aftermath of a car break in.

I can get clear FM signals only when I touch one of the specific wire
to the antenna connector of the stereo unit. (I assume that wire should
connect to the antenna then.) Keeping the same 'antenna wire' connected
to the until, as for the AM, I get signals only when my key is not at
the ignition position or when the car engine is not running.

I tried a brand new stereo of a different brand. I get FM signal only
when I touch that wire to the antena connector of the stereo, but no
signal at all for AM, regardless of the car key position or whether the
engine is running.

I don't know if the following is related. Since I cannot find the
battery wire from the car to connect to the stereo, I connect both the
ignition wire and the battery wire of the stereo to the ignition wire
from the car.

Or, with the 'antena wire' of the car, do I need to install a proper
antenna connector so that it connects to the antenna connector of the
stereo properly.

Or would it be other possible problem?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Posted to rec.audio.car
Matt Ion Matt Ion is offline

wrote:
[...]

Make sure the radio is grounded properly - the black wire should connect to
either the appropriate ground wire in the dash, or to a good metal body ground.

If you're testing for the battery (constant power) connection, keep in mind that
when the theives cut the old wires, they may have shorted that wire and blown a
fuse - check all your fuses (the stereo often uses the "clock" circuit, so look
for a fuse labelled CLOCK). Hooking the deck's "battery" connection up to the
ignition feed means it will lose backup power every time you turn the key off,
and you'll lose any radio stations in memory, or other stored settings.

The antenna also requires a good ground connection, so the end of the wire was
chopped off, it'll need to be replaced as well. You may be able to find a new
connector to put on, or you may find it easier to simply replace the whole antenna.

Posted to rec.audio.car
[email protected] chankiho@gmail.com is offline

It's a 92 honda civic.

ck wrote:
What make of car?
wrote in message
ps.com...
[...]

Posted to rec.audio.car
Matt Ion Matt Ion is offline

wrote:
It's a 92 honda civic.

You're in luck: those are really easy to re&re the antenna in, while putting a
new end on most antenna wires is a real PITA. A new complete unit should only
cost about $20-$30 and can be swapped in in about 15-20 minutes (less if you
have a pro do it).

ck wrote:

What make of car?
oups.com...