Posted to rec.audio.car
MOSFET MOSFET is offline

Default OPINIONS: INFINITY 1011T 1" SILK-DOME TWEETERS??

I just bought a new pair on flea-bay (as Howdy calls it) and I'm wondering
if anybody has any thoughts on these. I got a really good deal, which was
the MAIN reason I bought them (if they suck, I can always turn around and
resell them).

I recently bought a pair of new McIntosh soft dome tweeters (again, a good
flea-bay deal) that are really designed for home use but I was able to
squeeze them next to my JL midbass drivers in the doors, and the grill
covers everything up.

The McIntosh tweeters sound OK, but are a little TOO laid back for my taste
(the tweeters I ORIGINALLY started with, the MB Quart PTD25's were too
bright and up-front in my opinion and though they sounded VERY impressive at
first, they became fatiguing after about 15-20 minutes). I next bought a
pair of JL VR series soft dome tweeters (because of a recommendation) which
I fell in love with, but due to a careless X-over setting (WAY too low) on
my Coustic XM-3 which I use as the high-pass X-over before my tweeter amp (I
use NO passive x-overs in my system, every speaker has it's own dedicated
channel of amplification), I blew BOTH of the JL tweeters (actually my wife
did it, showing the system off to a friend at work). I have been hoping to
find a good deal on another set of JL VR Series tweets, but so far, no luck
(which is OK, I really enjoy experimenting with different tweeters and
evaluating the pros and cons).

Anyway, ever since blowing the JL's, I have been trying different tweeters.
I have tried a pair of Advent soft-domes, now I have the McIntosh tweets in
my car, and soon I will try the Infinity's.

Anybody have any experience with these tweets? Any advice about mounting
locations? Off vs. on axis? Any info or opinions would be appreciated.

Thanks,

MOSFET

Posted to rec.audio.car
Tony F Tony F is offline

When are you just going to get some Dynaudios??? ;-)

Tony

--
2001 Nissan Maxima SE Anniversary Edition
Clarion DRZ9255 Head Unit, Phoenix Gold ZX475ti, ZX450 and Xenon X1200.1

2001 Chevy S10 ZR2
Pioneer DEH-P9600MP Head Unit, Phoenix Gold Ti500.4 Amp, Focal 165HC
Speakers & Image Dynamics ID8 D4 v.3 Sub

2006 Mustang GT Coupe
Alpine IVA-D310 DVD Head Unit, Alpine MRA-550 Digital 5.1 Amp, Boston
Acoustics Z-Series Speakers, Alpine SBS-05DC Center Channel Speaker,
Amplified MTX Thunderform Sub

Posted to rec.audio.car
KU40 KU40 is offline

are those the ones that come in the Reference line? If so, I like them.

--
KU40
Posted to rec.audio.car
MOSFET MOSFET is offline

When are you just going to get some Dynaudios??? ;-)

Tony

When I get my new M45.

Sorry, couldn't resist. Yes, I have NO doubt the Dynaudio's would sound
GREAT.

The simple fact is that I have a family and I just don't have lot's of money
to spend on car audio gear.

Take care,

Nick

Posted to rec.audio.car
MOSFET MOSFET is offline

Yes, they are part of the Reference line. Thanks. That's good news. I
trust your judgement.

MOSFET

"KU40" wrote in message

are those the ones that come in the Reference line? If so, I like them.

--
KU40

Posted to rec.audio.car
MOSFET MOSFET is offline

I once owned a pair of Perfects that I thought really picked up the
details. A little "in your face" though at higher volumes, easily
fixed though with a little taming on the eq in the 3-6.5Khz range.

Thanks for the feedback! I really appreciate it!!
MOSFET

Posted to rec.audio.car
Jamie Pruden Jamie Pruden is offline

That's the ticket...

Once you've experienced Dynaudio tweets, you won't go back...

smiles,
Jamie
Dynaudio tweeter owner...

On 2006-09-14 09:06:34 -0700, "Tony F" said:

When are you just going to get some Dynaudios??? ;-)

Tony

Posted to rec.audio.car
MOSFET MOSFET is offline

Default Just Installed them....VERY pleased.

I just installed these new 1" Infinity Silk-Dome Tweeters and I am extremely
happy. They seem to be in every way the equal of the JL VR series tweeters
that I liked so much but blew shortly after I bought them due to an error on
my part in setting the X-over point.

I certainly WON'T make that same mistake with these Infinity tweets (I have
them crossed over at 3500 Hz with a slope of 12 dB per octave).

Anyway, I would recommend these tweets to anyone. The frequency response is
INCREDIBLE. Much higher than the McIntosh home speaker tweets I was using,
and, of course they require only a FRACTION of the space. In fact, though
it's hard to be sure, I think these are just a touch brighter than the JL's,
which is OK by me (but not as bright as most titanium or metal domes which I
find fatiguing after extended listening periods, like my old MB Quart
PTD25's tweets or the Boston Pro series I used before that) . I have them
mounted next to my midbass speakers in the front doors (a set of JL VR
Series 6.5" midbass drivers), but I am going to experiment (using the old
double sticky tape technique) with different mounting locations as I might
mount them in the sail-panels. These tweeters (like most tweeters) come
with a number of mounting options (and the hardware required), but these
have a really ingenious swivel feature for aiming (that I've never seen
before) and with a two-tone (grey and black) color scheme, they look pretty
cool. Plus, I have always had good results with sail panel mounting in the
past.

MOSFET

Posted to rec.audio.car
Tony F Tony F is offline

Cool, Nick!! Glad you like 'em. I hope they fair better than the JLs.

Tony

Posted to rec.audio.car
KU40 KU40 is offline

glad to see you're happy with them