Posted to rec.audio.tubes
javawizard javawizard is offline

Default A Strange Radio Station in the 1920s

In the 1920's a radio station in Schenectady, NY built a powerful
transmitter. In those days before FCC regulations, not knowing just how
big to make a transmitter in order for the signal to be received some
distance away, the station set up to broadcast at 500,000 watts. It
requires about one watt to be received four blocks away. This station
broadcast at such tremendous power that they could be heard around the
world. People in New York didn't even need radios. They could sometimes
hear voices in their furnaces and coming off chain-link fences. Light
bulbs lit up in people's houses even if they were switched off. - from
www.odd-info.com

- Jeff
www.creativelistener.com

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Peter Wieck Peter Wieck is offline

Another shill for your by-the-minute website.

Also killfiled, also turned in as spam.

Peter Wieck
Wyncote, PA

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
WindsorFox WindsorFox is offline

Peter Wieck wrote:
Another shill for your by-the-minute website.

Also killfiled, also turned in as spam.

Peter Wieck
Wyncote, PA

You just wish YOU'D thought of it.... $1.50 per minute to make you
feel better. Not a bad price, but he doesn't look nearly as good as the
hooker downtown.

--
"One hard rule of sockpuppetry is that a sockpuppet
can't be smarter than its animator."
Posted to rec.audio.tubes

On Jan 26, 10:54 pm, WindsorFox wrote:

You just wish YOU'D thought of it.... $1.50 per minute to make you
feel better. Not a bad price, but he doesn't look nearly as good as the
hooker downtown.

Oh, I'm not so sure it is too late anyway. If there is room for one
Nigerian Inheritance Scam or one British Lottery Scam, there is room
for a thousand.

However, I doubt I could make the sorts that seek the likes of him
feel any better. The Truth may make one free, seldom does it
necessarily make one happy.

Peter Wieck
Wyncote, PA

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
tlbs tlbs is offline

On Jan 25, 7:31 pm, "javawizard" wrote:
In the 1920's a radio station in Schenectady, NY built a powerful
transmitter. In those days before FCC regulations, not knowing just how
big to make a transmitter in order for the signal to be received some
distance away, the station set up to broadcast at 500,000 watts. It
requires about one watt to be received four blocks away. This station
broadcast at such tremendous power that they could be heard around the
world. People in New York didn't even need radios. They could sometimes
hear voices in their furnaces and coming off chain-link fences. Light
bulbs lit up in people's houses even if they were switched off. - fromwww.odd-info.com

- Jeffwww.creativelistener.com

Spam, yes, but this text rings true.

Years ago, I worked at a clear channel (50 kW) station in Spokane, WA
(KGA 1510) for a short time. The RF fields were so intense, that you
couldn't **** in the men's room without getting shocked. The barbed
wire separating the field shared by the antenna and grazing cows with
the rest of the world, buzzed to the sounds of Hank Williams and Tammy
Wynette, 24/7. The transmitting tube was about 5 feet tall.

I can see 0.5 MW of AM reeking havoc as described.

And remember folks, at 100% plate modulation, that's 1/2 Megawatt of
RF energy *and* 1/2 Megawatt of audio power.

Yeah, I need a 1/2 Megawatt audio amp. for my home audio system,
please. My subwoofer is 48" diameter with a 12" throw. LOL!

TP

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
John Byrns John Byrns is offline

In article . com,
"tlbs" wrote:

Spam, yes, but this text rings true.

Years ago, I worked at a clear channel (50 kW) station in Spokane, WA
(KGA 1510) for a short time. The RF fields were so intense, that you
couldn't **** in the men's room without getting shocked. The barbed
wire separating the field shared by the antenna and grazing cows with
the rest of the world, buzzed to the sounds of Hank Williams and Tammy
Wynette, 24/7. The transmitting tube was about 5 feet tall.

Did the KGA transmitter use one or two of these transmitting tubes that
were "about 5 feet tall"? Do you remember the make and or model of the
transmitter? How many years ago was it that you worked at KGA while
this transmitter was still in service?

I can see 0.5 MW of AM reeking havoc as described.

And remember folks, at 100% plate modulation, that's 1/2 Megawatt of
RF energy *and* 1/2 Megawatt of audio power.

Not to mention a Peak Envelope Power of 2 Megawatts.

Regards,

John Byrns

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
tlbs tlbs is offline

On Jan 29, 1:20 pm, John Byrns wrote:
In article . com,

"tlbs" wrote:
Spam, yes, but this text rings true.

Years ago, I worked at a clear channel (50 kW) station in Spokane, WA
(KGA 1510) for a short time. The RF fields were so intense, that you
couldn't **** in the men's room without getting shocked. The barbed
wire separating the field shared by the antenna and grazing cows with
the rest of the world, buzzed to the sounds of Hank Williams and Tammy
Wynette, 24/7. The transmitting tube was about 5 feet tall.

Did the KGA transmitter use one or two of these transmitting tubes that
were "about 5 feet tall"? Do you remember the make and or model of the
transmitter? How many years ago was it that you worked at KGA while
this transmitter was still in service?

Regards,

John Byrns

It was back in 1975, and I was a H.S. kid with a fresh commercial 1st
class RT license looking for work. I ended up at KSPS-TV, so I didn't
get much time in at KGA. I'm sorry, I don't know what kind/model
number of transmitting tube it was (don't think I ever did know). I
do remember that it was an old Voice-Of-America transmitter,
originally setup for 100 kW. IIRC the engineer mentioned there were 2
tubes, in the original transmitter.

I don't know if KGA is still operating a clear channel transmitter.
They are still on 1510 which is a clear channel frequency, but I can't
pick them up in New Mexico.

Tom P.

Preset Radio station Suzanne Car Audio 1 June 28th 05 01:25 AM
Not In Love With Tivoli Audio? Maybe Here is Why-FAQ and Exegesis [email protected] Audio Opinions 5 April 25th 05 01:35 AM
How's Business- Shameless Plug, The Radio Station ... Steve Car Audio 0 May 12th 04 04:46 PM
Rear unsupported??? Mounting a DIN radio in a Dodge RAM Phil Price Car Audio 4 January 14th 04 04:56 PM
On a mission : finding a basic radio Olivier General 4 January 4th 04 09:39 PM