Posted to rec.audio.car
FC FC is offline

Default Amp recommendation

Hi all,
I just spoke to my insurance agent and it seems I will be able to
recover my boston pros () from my stolen car. Anyway, I want to go with
a one amp system. Can you pleasew throw a few names for me to do some
reserach? Thanks.

FC

Posted to rec.audio.car
Troy T. Troy T. is offline

FC,
I would recomend Alpine, Diamond Audio, and JL.All of which have
amazing SQ. They all are pretty much the creme de la creme of car
audio.Alpine specifies in delivering alot of power in a small package.
Diamond Audio has amazing SQ and when they say they their amp puts out
for example 600 watts it actually puts out 600 watts. And we all know
that JL is kicken ass right now with their products, their absoultly
amazing. With anybrand the multi channel amps are going to be more
expensive but their always nice.
Anyways i hope i was helpful, Sorry about your loss and good luck with
your new system.

TroyT.

Posted to rec.audio.car
Rob Kulp Rob Kulp is offline

How many channels?

One amp system is too vague to answer the question.

Rob

"FC" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi all,
I just spoke to my insurance agent and it seems I will be able to
recover my boston pros () from my stolen car. Anyway, I want to go with
a one amp system. Can you pleasew throw a few names for me to do some
reserach? Thanks.

FC

Posted to rec.audio.car
Captain Howdy Captain Howdy is offline

If you plan on running a sub and are looking for something down the lines of a
4 or 5 channel amplifier, I would steer clear of that idea for a few reasons,
Multi channel amplifiers tend to be class A/B which can draw twice as much
power from your electrical system as a class D amplifier would at the same
wattage running a sub. Overheating can be another issue since you would be
running 2 - 3 amplifiers under one much smaller heatsink. Lastly if you ever
have a bad day and smoke a channel on the amp, most protection circuits will
shut down the whole amp to protect the power supply and repairs on multi
channel amplifiers are not cheap for obvious reasons. Anyway that's a few
negative reasons to kick around before you go ahead with buying an amplifier.

In article .com, "FC"
wrote:
Hi all,
I just spoke to my insurance agent and it seems I will be able to
recover my boston pros () from my stolen car. Anyway, I want to go with
a one amp system. Can you pleasew throw a few names for me to do some
reserach? Thanks.

FC

Posted to rec.audio.car
MOSFET MOSFET is offline

[...]

I agree with everything Howdy said, though it pains me to say it.

I would also add that having multiple amps gives you much more flexibility
in your system design. You may want to do dfferent things with your system
in the future (add a center channel, bi-amp a front set of seperates,
upgrade JUST your subwoofer amp, etc.). Having multiple amps gives you much
more design options down the road. And, Howdy's point about a Class D amp
for the subwoofer is a PARTICULARLY good one.

MOSFET

Posted to rec.audio.car
Captain Howdy Captain Howdy is offline

Ouch!!! I can feel your pain just reading this. That's some deep pain and
suffering right there. LOL

I agree with everything Howdy said, though it pains me to say it.

I would also add that having multiple amps gives you much more flexibility
in your system design. You may want to do dfferent things with your system
in the future (add a center channel, bi-amp a front set of seperates,
upgrade JUST your subwoofer amp, etc.). Having multiple amps gives you much
more design options down the road. And, Howdy's point about a Class D amp
for the subwoofer is a PARTICULARLY good one.

MOSFET

Posted to rec.audio.car
FC FC is offline

wrote:
Hi all,
I just spoke to my insurance agent and it seems I will be able to
recover my boston pros () from my stolen car. Anyway, I want to go with
a one amp system. Can you pleasew throw a few names for me to do some
reserach? Thanks.

FC

Sold!

I may have to go with two or three small amps then. I want to run
fronts out of one amp, rears out of one amp or may be the head unit,
and a single sub. My question still stands.

Thanks.

Posted to rec.audio.car
Captain Howdy Captain Howdy is offline

I have had great luck with MTX amplifiers. They also offer a very fair fixed
repair rate on their a amplifiers when something does go wrong. You can find
kick ass deals on fleabay new or used.

I may have to go with two or three small amps then. I want to run
fronts out of one amp, rears out of one amp or may be the head unit,
and a single sub. My question still stands.

Thanks.

Posted to rec.audio.car
Brandonb Brandonb is offline

Just to be contrary I'll thow my 2 cents in: a single, multichannel amp
can be great if implemented correctly. Also, there are quite a few
5-channel amps now that have a Class-D larger 5th channel. I've had
great luck with these for people that want better sound than stock, but
don't want all the equipment and wiring taking up space. Usually on the
order of 4x50+1x150 or so. Easy setup, looks clean, minimal space.
Planet Audio is a low-mid range brand that makes a 5-channel like that
for cheap that has worked solidly for some people I set up.

I myself use a Directed 6-channel amp for my fronts alone (tri-amped), a
small Directed 2-channel for my rears, and a Directed 1100D amp for each
of my Diamond TDX subs. I've also got a Directed 204 active crossover
for it all and 2 Audiocontrol EQT EQs for the front. A lot of equipment,
in various stages of assembly as I test out different boxes and such.

As far as my apparent affinity for Directed amps.... well, I like the
Directed Studio speakers as well Those are all in my fronts and
rears. Only the subs are a different brand. I got interested in the amps
when I saw them in Nathan Munson's dBDrag vehical at world finals
several years ago. He had 16 of the old-style 1100d amps. I asked my
local shop about em, he carries DEI products so ordered a couple in for
me to try out, and well, lets just say I like solid products that have
versatile wiring options, put out the power they say they do, and
survive fires. I decided to try the Studio speakers after people in this
newsgroup raved about them a few years back. Directed, of course, has
now changed all the amps and speakers for newer designs. My local shop
has kept them in stock since then as well.

Here's the equipment before I changed subs:

http://showcase.netins.net/web/kamik...out-bright.jpg

and here's the new subs in a test box:

http://kamikos.com/pics/box-out3a.jpg

Brandonb

FC wrote:
Hi all,
I just spoke to my insurance agent and it seems I will be able to
recover my boston pros () from my stolen car. Anyway, I want to go with
a one amp system. Can you pleasew throw a few names for me to do some
reserach? Thanks.

FC

Posted to rec.audio.car
FD FD is offline

"FC" wrote in message
oups.com...

wrote:
Hi all,
I just spoke to my insurance agent and it seems I will be able to
recover my boston pros () from my stolen car. Anyway, I want to go with
a one amp system. Can you pleasew throw a few names for me to do some
reserach? Thanks.

FC

Sold!

I may have to go with two or three small amps then. I want to run
fronts out of one amp, rears out of one amp or may be the head unit,
and a single sub. My question still stands.

Thanks.

Consider Elemental Designs. http://www.edesignaudio.com

I use them on my Boston Acoustics Z6's up front and Boston Acoustics Pro
60's in the rear.

They sound fantastic.

3 year warranty on the amplifiers purchased only on the internet.

If you have money to burn, buy 4 xtant 1.1i and 1 - 6.1
http://xtant.com

Good luck.....

Posted to rec.audio.car
FC FC is offline

FD wrote:
"FC" wrote in message
oups.com...

wrote:
[...]

I had two Xtant 603x's on my car, these are the ones that got stolen. I
liked them very much. This time I want to go low profile, my new car is
a lot quieter than my previous car. I am mostly listening with the
windows rolled up, I don't care to share my music with the outside
world.

Now, the Boston Pros may not be a good choice to listen to them at low
volume, I remember having to really crank them to get their awesome
sound, but they will get very dull at low volumes. Any ideas on how to
get around this? Was this an amp or speaker issue?

Thanks.

Posted to rec.audio.car
BigBob BigBob is offline

What about a 5 Channel Boston Acoutics amp. Fairly pricey, not many used
ones out there. I have heard that JL Audio overeas plant (Korea?) actually
builds these for BA.

Anoother suggestion, I just bought a mint Sherwood AX-6275 6 channel amp off
ebay for 45 bucks.
35x5 , 100 x1 @ 4 Ohms or 50x5, 130x1 @2 Ohms

The multi amp set up can often be more flexible for mounting locations as
this Sherwood AX-6275 amp is 23 inches long!

"FC" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi all,
I just spoke to my insurance agent and it seems I will be able to
recover my boston pros () from my stolen car. Anyway, I want to go with
a one amp system. Can you pleasew throw a few names for me to do some
reserach? Thanks.

FC

CD mastering service recommendation? £ Î Z @ R Ð Pro Audio 2 March 8th 05 12:31 AM
Guitar amp recommendation Boris Mohar Vacuum Tubes 23 January 5th 05 03:05 PM
Speakers recommendation RJH Car Audio 0 April 6th 04 09:56 AM
Recommendation for SACD player Rich Andrews Audio Opinions 43 July 30th 03 01:10 AM
Recommendation for SACD player Rich Andrews Tech 24 July 24th 03 08:05 AM