Matt Pearce

Default stupid newbie questions re hi-fi setup

I recently inherited a bunch of hi-fi components from an older
67, and a pair of PSB Alpha Bs. The problem is, I have no idea how to
set all of this equipment up. Can some kind soul give me a quick
overview of what cables go where & what is the best setup if there is
more than one way?

Another silly question - why does the amp have two power outlets on
the back? What would I plug into these outlets?

Thanks in advance.
Mark A

"Matt Pearce" wrote in message
om...
I recently inherited a bunch of hi-fi components from an older
67, and a pair of PSB Alpha Bs. The problem is, I have no idea how to
set all of this equipment up. Can some kind soul give me a quick
overview of what cables go where & what is the best setup if there is
more than one way?

Another silly question - why does the amp have two power outlets on
the back? What would I plug into these outlets?

Thanks in advance.

Those are convenience outlets, like a power strip.

Mark A

"Mark A" wrote in message
"Matt Pearce" wrote in message
om...
I recently inherited a bunch of hi-fi components from an older
67, and a pair of PSB Alpha Bs. The problem is, I have no idea how to
set all of this equipment up. Can some kind soul give me a quick
overview of what cables go where & what is the best setup if there is
more than one way?

Another silly question - why does the amp have two power outlets on
the back? What would I plug into these outlets?

Thanks in advance.

Those are convenience outlets, like a power strip.

The receiver and amplifier overlap somewhat:

--The 7140 receiver is a control preamp, amp (40W per channel) , and tuner.
--The 3020A amp is a control preamp, and amp (20W per channel)

Not sure if the 3020A was used to drive some remote speakers in the same
room or used in another complete set-up. You probably need to list every
piece of equipment to decide if you want 1 or 2 complete set-ups (in
different rooms).

But it might be a lot easier to find a neighbor who can help you.

John A. Weeks III

In article , Mark A
wrote:

--The 7140 receiver is a control preamp, amp (40W per channel) , and tuner.
--The 3020A amp is a control preamp, and amp (20W per channel)

In that case, you use a set of RCA cables to connect the output of
the CD player to the CD or AUX input on the 7140. You use speaker
wire, zip cord, or monster cable wire to connect the speakers to the
A set of speaker output on the 7140. Make sure you connect red or +
on the reciever to red or + on the speaker in both cases. The
3020A has no purpose in this set-up.

If you want a 2nd set of speakers in a different room, and want
to control the volume independently, use a set of RCA cables to
connect the tape output on the 7140 to the aux in on the 3020A.
Then connect a set of speakers to the 3020A's A speaker connections.
In this case, you can use the 7140 to control the first set of speakers,
and the 3020A to control the remote speaker volume.

-john-

John A. Weeks III 952-432-2708
Newave Communications
http://www.johnweeks.com