Posted to rec.audio.opinion
MD

Default Zobel networks

I have read quite a bit about these networks and how they can smooth
response - especially to woofers by providing a steadier load (albeit
slightly lower) and in aiding the crossovers in keeping higher
frequencies away from the woofer. Thing is it looks like a lot of
speaker manufacturers don't use them. So I am left wondering why not?
Are they good with tube amps?

In my case I have Triangle Celius 202 speakers. The impedance curve for
the woofer has two bumps after the main rise and then no slow rise up to
the higher frequencies. The calculators on the web for the filters say
I should use the freq doubling point. Well. . .by a slight margin this
is the 4khz impedance point in my speaker. (When I try the second hump
which is almost the same size as the 4khz hump the filter seems to shut
down too much - it's centered at 300hz). Using the 4khz point doesn't
rob bass and does kill some higher freq energy from reaching my woofers.

I was wondering what everyone's thoughts were on the subject.
Posted to rec.audio.opinion
GregS

In article , MD wrote:

[...]

Frequency doubling point has me confused. I really don't know if tube amps
have different effects on speaker impedance mountains than solid state. My
first thought are yes.
Sometimes you don't need Zobels's, all depends on the system.
You do want to even out the Z curve so the crossover will function as intended.
Speaker manufacturers try to use simple methods and use selected drivers
to ease problems. Many speakers makers use Zobels.

greg
Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Arny Krueger

"MD" wrote in message

I have read quite a bit about these networks and how
they can smooth response - especially to woofers by
providing a steadier load (albeit slightly lower) and in
aiding the crossovers in keeping higher frequencies away
from the woofer.

Who may I ask is writing weird crap like this?

Thing is it looks like a lot of speaker
manufacturers don't use them.

Something about that not being the usual purpose of a Zobel.

So I am left wondering why not?

Often, woofers do a pretty good job of keeping high frequencies away from
themselves with no add-ons. It's called voice coil inductance and many
woofers have a lot of it.

Are they good with tube amps?

For their intended purpose, yes.

In my case I have Triangle Celius 202 speakers. The
impedance curve for the woofer has two bumps after the
main rise and then no slow rise up to the higher
frequencies. The calculators on the web for the filters
say I should use the freq doubling point.

I think you mean the frequency at which the impedance of the woofer doubles
from its minimum value.

That might not be a bad choice, but it mostly relates to woofers in a
speaker system, along with mids and tweeters. It is all related to passive
crossover design. If your speakers already have crossovers, then zobels are
not for you.

Support Analyst - Voice & Networks in Jersey City Tugba/IT Recruiter Pro Audio 0 April 3rd 06 04:35 PM
ping-Patrick west Vacuum Tubes 3 April 13th 05 02:40 PM
zobel and xover impedance david h. Tech 2 February 13th 05 04:03 AM
FA: ElectroVoice Crossover Networks Dave Hollander Marketplace 0 September 28th 03 02:49 PM