Posted to rec.audio.opinion
TT TT is offline

Default ZU DL-103 carts

http://www.zuaudio.com/turntables/dl103r.html

I'm just having a look around on the net about these things and have been
reading some excellent reviews.

Questions:

Why do they have the 4 different grades and why?

How do they measure them?

What is the *real* difference between these and a standard Denon unit?

Looking at some of the pics on the site it looks they just break open a
Denon cart and stick the guts in a fancy alloy housing. Does anyone here
care to comment on these?

Cheers TT

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
MiNe 109 MiNe 109 is offline

In article ,
"TT" wrote:

http://www.zuaudio.com/turntables/dl103r.html

I'm just having a look around on the net about these things and have been
reading some excellent reviews.

Questions:

Why do they have the 4 different grades and why?

How do they measure them?

What is the *real* difference between these and a standard Denon unit?

Looking at some of the pics on the site it looks they just break open a
Denon cart and stick the guts in a fancy alloy housing. Does anyone here
care to comment on these?

Art Dudley looked at them in Stereophile:

http://www.stereophile.com/budgetcom...7zu/index.html

He praises the stock stylus assembly and ease of installation on
Linn/Naim/Rega arms as well as describing the body changes introduced.

There's more than just the new body: different epoxy, different
connector assemblies.

Stephen
Posted to rec.audio.opinion
TT TT is offline

"MiNe 109" wrote in message
"TT" wrote:

[...]

Yes I have read similar puff pieces as this. Although it has described the
actual method of mounting a little better. Still none the wiser on the 4
different grades and the article only gives the one price and neglects to
state which grade it is. Also my questions relates to the ZU DL-103R carts
as per the link I supplied and the test was for a ZU DL -103. The actual
significance of the "R" is exactly what, I have NFI ;-)

Cheers TT

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
MiNe 109 MiNe 109 is offline

In article ,
"TT" wrote:

"MiNe 109" wrote in message
"TT" wrote:

[...]

Ah. I went with the name in the subject. The models are graded by
"tolerance between L&R for both output Voltage and internal coil
impedance" according to a pdf you can get by clicking "specifications"
on the "standard" page at the ZU website.

For everyone else who wants to know: 'R' is for "Reformed".

Stephen
Posted to rec.audio.opinion
TT TT is offline

"MiNe 109" wrote in message
"TT" wrote:

"MiNe 109" wrote in message
"TT" wrote:

[...]

Ahh yes. I went back to the site and you keep clicking at the bottom of the
page where it says more info. So after about 3 lots of more info it finally
explains this a lot better.

So do we have any users out there that would care to comment?

Cheers TT

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Arny Krueger Arny Krueger is offline

"TT" wrote in message
. au
http://www.zuaudio.com/turntables/dl103r.html

I'm just having a look around on the net about these
things and have been reading some excellent reviews.

A little money under the table here, a little money under the table there...

Questions:

Why do they have the 4 different grades and why?

Makes it easy to extract cash from gullable audiophiles.

How do they measure them?

Measure?

What is the *real* difference between these and a
standard Denon unit?

The price.

Looking at some of the pics on the site it looks they
just break open a Denon cart and stick the guts in a
fancy alloy housing.

Hold that thought.

Does anyone here care to comment on these?

Since vinyl is a sucker play, why not make vinyl playing hardware a sucker
play squared?

There have been no real advances in cartridge technology since the V15-V and
the OC-9.

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Arny Krueger Arny Krueger is offline

"MiNe 109" wrote in message

In article
, "TT"
wrote:

http://www.zuaudio.com/turntables/dl103r.html

I'm just having a look around on the net about these
things and have been reading some excellent reviews.

Questions:

Why do they have the 4 different grades and why?

How do they measure them?

What is the *real* difference between these and a
standard Denon unit?

Looking at some of the pics on the site it looks they
just break open a Denon cart and stick the guts in a
fancy alloy housing. Does anyone here care to comment
on these?

Art Dudley looked at them in Stereophile:

http://www.stereophile.com/budgetcom...7zu/index.html

Good choice of words. Look, as in do yet another totally invalid sighted
evaluation.

He praises the stock stylus assembly and ease of
installation on Linn/Naim/Rega arms as well as describing
the body changes introduced.

There's more than just the new body: different epoxy,
different connector assemblies.

Like that makes a huge difference. Denon are hardly amateurs, trying to
improve on their work in a meaningful way is not a job for backyard
mechanics.

Posted to rec.audio.opinion
calvin coolidge calvin coolidge is offline

On Mar 28, 5:20�pm, "TT" wrote:
http://www.zuaudio.com/turntables/dl103r.html

I'm just having a look around on the net about these things and have been
reading some excellent reviews.

Questions:

Why do they have the 4 different grades and why?

How do they measure them?

What is the *real* difference between these and a standard Denon unit?

Looking at some of the pics on the site it looks they just break open a
Denon cart and stick the guts in a fancy alloy housing. �Does anyone here
care to comment on these?

Cheers TT

I have the $399 version, the lowest one. It's a fantastic cart, but
then again so were the original Denons. The more expensive versions
are supposed to have closer tolerances (or as we used to say in the
automotive world, the "engines have been blueprinted.") I haven't
compared the premium versions, but I can say that the basic version is
more than adequate.

Vinylsnatch, Jr.
Posted to rec.audio.opinion
Trevor Wilson[_2_] Trevor Wilson[_2_] is offline

"TT" wrote in message
. au...
http://www.zuaudio.com/turntables/dl103r.html

I'm just having a look around on the net about these things and have been
reading some excellent reviews.

Questions:

Why do they have the 4 different grades and why?

How do they measure them?

What is the *real* difference between these and a standard Denon unit?

Looking at some of the pics on the site it looks they just break open a
Denon cart and stick the guts in a fancy alloy housing. Does anyone here
care to comment on these?

**I am unable to comment much on these, specific carts, beyond stating that
I advise much caution when looking at *any* so-called 'nude' cartridge. Most
cartridges employ extremely powerful magnets and very tight tolerance
components. The smallest contaminant can cause havoc with such a system.
With powerful magnets, ferrous contamination is a real risk.

OTOH, a well damped cartridge body should present no resonance problems.

--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au