Default Zip Cord for Speaker Wire

Zip cord, along with Romex and outdoor grade extension cord cable, are
probably the most common speaker cables employed other than cables sold
specifically for the purpose. In fact, among non-audiophiles and in
commercial, industrial and HOW use they are much more common.

All of these do a good job provided a heavy enough grade is used and
more importantly proper termination is used. A heavy properly made
terminal should be soldered or crimped-using a professional grade
tool-on the cable.

However, they are not the optimum product for the job if only from an
appearance standpoint. I like to use heater cord bcause of its
attractive cloth outer cover. Certain vacuum cleaner and other
appliance vendors have what I consider attractive products from the
standpoint of sufficient gauge and for handling and appearance as well.

Robert Morein

wrote in message
oups.com...
Zip cord, along with Romex and outdoor grade extension cord cable, are
probably the most common speaker cables employed other than cables sold
specifically for the purpose. In fact, among non-audiophiles and in
commercial, industrial and HOW use they are much more common.

All of these do a good job provided a heavy enough grade is used and
more importantly proper termination is used. A heavy properly made
terminal should be soldered or crimped-using a professional grade
tool-on the cable.

However, they are not the optimum product for the job if only from an
appearance standpoint. I like to use heater cord bcause of its
attractive cloth outer cover. Certain vacuum cleaner and other
appliance vendors have what I consider attractive products from the
standpoint of sufficient gauge and for handling and appearance as well.

Cal,
Although zipcord seems primitive, it does have the feature of good
cancellation of mutual inductance, by virtue of the close spacing of the two
inductors. Perhaps the spacing in appliance cord is a little wider, due to
the paper lathing inside?

It depends, however it has a high rate of twist in many cases. It also
has a type of rubber which is more durable and aging-resistant.

Robert Morein

wrote in message
oups.com...
It depends, however it has a high rate of twist in many cases. It also
has a type of rubber which is more durable and aging-resistant.

I question that. IMHO, the vinyl in zipcord seems more durable than the
rubber in appliance cord, provided it is not flexed often.

I use triple runs of zipcord held together with duct tape. The result is a
multiconductor solution with some of the benefits of "Litz" construction.

Arny Krueger

wrote in message
oups.com

It depends, however it has a high rate of twist in many cases. It also
has a type of rubber which is more durable and aging-resistant.

This would probably be type S or SJ, heavy-duty rubber insulated cord. The
two conductor versions usually have fiber filler to add bulk and roundness.

Tight twisted construction, which is common with type S or SJ cable, tends
to increase the mutual inductance between the conductors and thereby
decrease the series inductance of speaker cables.

redux

Arny Krueger wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com

It depends, however it has a high rate of twist in many cases. It

also
has a type of rubber which is more durable and aging-resistant.

This would probably be type S or SJ, heavy-duty rubber insulated

cord. The
two conductor versions usually have fiber filler to add bulk and

roundness.

Tight twisted construction, which is common with type S or SJ cable,

tends
to increase the mutual inductance between the conductors and thereby
decrease the series inductance of speaker cables.

Just twist the lighting cable would do the same thing?

Arny Krueger

"redux" wrote in message
ups.com
Arny Krueger wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com

It depends, however it has a high rate of twist in many cases. It
also has a type of rubber which is more durable and aging-resistant.

This would probably be type S or SJ, heavy-duty rubber insulated
cord. The two conductor versions usually have fiber filler to add
bulk and roundness.

Tight twisted construction, which is common with type S or SJ cable,
tends to increase the mutual inductance between the conductors and
thereby decrease the series inductance of speaker cables.

Twisting also randomized the incidence of outside sources of electrical
interferance, reducing noise pickup. Not much help with speaker wiring, but
quite effective in balanced signal cables.

Just twist the lighting cable would do the same thing?

Yes. I've been known to use hand drills, power drills and electric
screwdrivers for the purpose.

Ron

On Mon, 7 Mar 2005 21:36:56 -0500, "Robert Morein"
wrote:

wrote in message
roups.com...
It depends, however it has a high rate of twist in many cases. It also
has a type of rubber which is more durable and aging-resistant.

I question that. IMHO, the vinyl in zipcord seems more durable than the
rubber in appliance cord, provided it is not flexed often.

I use triple runs of zipcord held together with duct tape. The result is a
multiconductor solution with some of the benefits of "Litz" construction.

There is no real benefit to Litz cabling in audio wires of 14AWG or
thinner and only a very slight one for 12AWG. OTOH, trippling 16AWG
cables gives you better than 12AWG performance and puts to rest any
possible worries (existnt or not) about skin effect issues.

Arny Krueger

"Ron" wrote in message

On Mon, 7 Mar 2005 21:36:56 -0500, "Robert Morein"
wrote:

wrote in message
oups.com...
It depends, however it has a high rate of twist in many cases. It
also has a type of rubber which is more durable and aging-resistant.

I question that. IMHO, the vinyl in zipcord seems more durable than
the rubber in appliance cord, provided it is not flexed often.

I use triple runs of zipcord held together with duct tape. The
result is a multiconductor solution with some of the benefits of
"Litz" construction.

It takes a lot more than Litz wire to address skin effect. Skin effect is
based on the magnetic field around a wire, which in turn is based on its
diameter and current flow. Doesn't matter whether the wire is stranded,
stranded insulated or solid.

There is no real benefit to Litz cabling in audio wires of 14AWG or
thinner and only a very slight one for 12AWG. OTOH, trippling 16AWG
cables gives you better than 12AWG performance and puts to rest any
possible worries (existnt or not) about skin effect issues.

http://www.st-andrews.ac.uk/~www_pa/...ect/page1.html
pretty well debunks this idea.

EddieM

wrote

Zip cord, along with Romex and outdoor grade extension cord cable, are
probably the most common speaker cables employed other than cables sold
specifically for the purpose. In fact, among non-audiophiles and in
commercial, industrial and HOW use they are much more common.

All of these do a good job provided a heavy enough grade is used and
more importantly proper termination is used. A heavy properly made
terminal should be soldered or crimped-using a professional grade
tool-on the cable.

However, they are not the optimum product for the job if only from an
appearance standpoint. I like to use heater cord bcause of its
attractive cloth outer cover. Certain vacuum cleaner and other
appliance vendors have what I consider attractive products from the
standpoint of sufficient gauge and for handling and appearance as well.

I been wondering about the two pairs of speaker cables I own. Both
pairs are of equal gauge and length but uses proprietary geometry
and, I suppose, metallurgy as conductors. These cables are WireWorld
Eclipse lll and Audioquest Midnight ll.

The WW will noticeably make the sound of my system louder compare
to AQ. Obviously, this could be due to its low resistance. I woner what
else is behind these considering that the loudness level it brings is quite
apparent for me.

I like the AQ cable but all in all, the WW tend to make my system sound
better for its seeming ability to present slices of detail more distinctly.