conrad

Default Crown DC300 amp question

I have a Crown dc300 amplifier and I want ot hook it up to LFE output
of my Home theater amplifier.Now I know that this particular amp if it
malfunctions could damage everything in it's output
path(subwoofers)..but what about it's input?Could it damage my Home
theater amp?Could damaging voltage flow backwards from the input side?
sk8erteck

Could damaging voltage flow backwards from the input side?

probably no, but it is possible. if your amp takes a lightning strike you
can pretty much expect that everything connected to it is fried.

it depends on the type of malfunction. are you expecting it to malfunction?

also, i dont recomend hooking up pro audio equipment to consumer level
equipment. but it can be done without problems.

"conrad" wrote in message
om...
I have a Crown dc300 amplifier and I want ot hook it up to LFE output
of my Home theater amplifier.Now I know that this particular amp if it
malfunctions could damage everything in it's output
path(subwoofers)..but what about it's input?Could it damage my Home
theater amp?Could damaging voltage flow backwards from the input side?

Arny Krueger

"sk8erteck" wrote in message

Could damaging voltage flow backwards from the input side?

This is a possibility, albeit a remote possibility in the case of any piece
of equipment. However, it is pretty rare.

probably no, but it is possible. if your amp takes a lightning strike
you can pretty much expect that everything connected to it is fried.

Agreed.

it depends on the type of malfunction. are you expecting it to
malfunction?

The usual kind of power amp failures don't result in damaging voltages
appearing at the input to the amplifier.

also, i dont recommend hooking up pro audio equipment to consumer level
equipment. but it can be done without problems.

In the days when a Crown DC-300 was a current model, it was considered to be
consumer electronics. AFAIK it was sold by consumer audio dealers,
advertised in consumer audio magazines, and reviewed in them as well. The
first time I heard a Crow DC-300 was in a high end audio shop.

Secondly, there's generally no problem other than matching input connectors,
when it comes to interfacing present-day pro-audio power amps with consumer
audio systems.

As we all know, most consumer audio power amps have RCA-type input jacks
while most pro-audio amps have TRS and/or XLR input jacks.

If one obtains a standard RCA-to-TS or RCA-to-XLR adaptor, the connections,
voltages and impedances will be "in the ball park".

conrad

The only thing actually that bothers me with it is a mild thump when
I turn it off.I don't expect it to malfucntion, but, because it's
around 30 years old you never know what could happen.My HT receiver
(Dolby Digital) is a consumer grade receiver but of the higher end
(DENON).. thanks guys.

Jerry G.

I own a number of them in mint condition. These are excellent amps, and I
never had a problem with them. I am the original owner for more than 20
years. These have been reliable.

When switching the power off and on, it is normal to have a thump from the
collapse or build-up of the supply, depending if it is be turned off or on.
There is no delay relay in this amp.

If the amp is working properly, there should very little DC on its output at
any position of rotation of the volume control. It is normally less than
about 0.02 VCD at the output with no load. Infact, it has less DC on its
output than many of the modern consumer amps of today.

If there are any faults, any of the high end audio service places can
service this amp for you. Crown Audio can advise you about where to take it
for service in your area, if need be.

--

Greetings,

Jerry Greenberg GLG Technologies GLG
WebPage http://www.zoom-one.com

"conrad" wrote in message
om...
I have a Crown dc300 amplifier and I want ot hook it up to LFE output
of my Home theater amplifier.Now I know that this particular amp if it
malfunctions could damage everything in it's output
path(subwoofers)..but what about it's input?Could it damage my Home
theater amp?Could damaging voltage flow backwards from the input side?

TonyP

"Arny Krueger" wrote in message
"sk8erteck" wrote in message

Could damaging voltage flow backwards from the input side?

This is a possibility, albeit a remote possibility in the case of any

piece
of equipment. However, it is pretty rare.

I did see a s/c cap to cause a phono cartridge coil to burn out once, but as
you say it's pretty rare.

In the days when a Crown DC-300 was a current model, it was considered to

be
consumer electronics. AFAIK it was sold by consumer audio dealers,
advertised in consumer audio magazines, and reviewed in them as well. The
first time I heard a Crow DC-300 was in a high end audio shop.

Whilst it was sold in very many HiFi shops, it was also used in a huge
number of PA systems, recording studio's, and even non-audio scientific
applications.
AFAIK it was not originally targeted at the consumer market, but the
introduction of the IC 150 sure signalled it as an important consideration.

As we all know, most consumer audio power amps have RCA-type input jacks
while most pro-audio amps have TRS and/or XLR input jacks.

If one obtains a standard RCA-to-TS or RCA-to-XLR adaptor, the

connections,
voltages and impedances will be "in the ball park".

The DC300 was considered hard to drive for most consumer pre-amps of the
day, but with the introduction of CD and 2V becoming the consumer norm, it
is no longer a problem.

TonyP.