Posted to rec.audio.pro
Joe Boerst Joe Boerst is offline

Default MAM-A Gold CDR

Anybody have any opinions on the MAM-A Archive Gold CDR & DVD?
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Geoff Geoff is offline

Joe Boerst wrote:
Anybody have any opinions on the MAM-A Archive Gold CDR & DVD?

Yep. The name makes me think of breasts.

geoff

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

Joe Boerst wrote:
Anybody have any opinions on the MAM-A Archive Gold CDR & DVD?

Yes. But you should disregard them. Do error numbers, look at the
report. Ignore opinions.
Posted to rec.audio.pro

"Joe Boerst" wrote ...
Anybody have any opinions on the MAM-A Archive
Gold CDR & DVD?

I have zero faith in the "archival" capabilities of ANY field-
writable optical discs. Doesn't matter what brand name or
fancy part numbers they use.

If you want to use CDR or DVDR for long-term storage, re-
write them every couple of years or forget it.

No serious backup is done on optical discs. It is virtually
all done on digital magnetic tape.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
DC DC is offline

geoff wrote:
Anybody have any opinions on the MAM-A Archive Gold CDR & DVD?

Yep. The name makes me think of breasts.

David Morgan's posts do that to me, too.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

"Soundhaspriority" wrote ...
"Richard Crowley" wrote ...
"Joe Boerst" wrote ...
Anybody have any opinions on the MAM-A Archive Gold CDR & DVD?

I have zero faith in the "archival" capabilities of ANY field-
writable optical discs. Doesn't matter what brand name or
fancy part numbers they use.
If you want to use CDR or DVDR for long-term storage, re-
write them every couple of years or forget it.

No serious backup is done on optical discs. It is virtually all done
on digital magnetic tape.

Interesting article he
http://www.tgdaily.com/content/view/37073/113/

$50K per year just for power (not to mention hardware
maintenance & replacement) is hardly competitive with
passive magnetic tape. It also seems like a non-starter
in an era where they are banning incandescent lighting.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Joe Kotroczo Joe Kotroczo is offline

On 10/05/08 22:17, in article ,
"Richard Crowley" wrote:

"Soundhaspriority" wrote ...
"Richard Crowley" wrote ...
"Joe Boerst" wrote ...
Anybody have any opinions on the MAM-A Archive Gold CDR & DVD?

I have zero faith in the "archival" capabilities of ANY field-
writable optical discs. Doesn't matter what brand name or
fancy part numbers they use.
If you want to use CDR or DVDR for long-term storage, re-
write them every couple of years or forget it.

No serious backup is done on optical discs. It is virtually all done
on digital magnetic tape.

Interesting article he
http://www.tgdaily.com/content/view/37073/113/

$50K per year just for power (not to mention hardware
maintenance & replacement) is hardly competitive with
passive magnetic tape. It also seems like a non-starter
in an era where they are banning incandescent lighting.

Storing 10 PB worth of magnetic tape in a climate-controlled archive is not
cheap either.

--
Joe Kotroczo

Posted to rec.audio.pro

"Joe Kotroczo" wrote in ...
"Richard Crowley" wrote:
"Soundhaspriority" wrote ...
"Richard Crowley" wrote ...
"Joe Boerst" wrote ...
[...]

But the $50K is IN ADDITION to the cost of security and
enviromental controls. (Which are orders of magnitude
less for tapes sitting in a cave).

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Geoff Geoff is offline

DC wrote:
geoff wrote:
Anybody have any opinions on the MAM-A Archive Gold CDR & DVD?

Yep. The name makes me think of breasts.

David Morgan's posts do that to me, too.

Too much chicken in the diet !

geoff