Posted to rec.audio.tubes,rec.radio.shortwave
[email protected] rrusston@hotmail.com is offline

Default Building a new shortwave tube radio

With the survivalist market as well as the DIYers who would build a
kit I have given thought to the idea of building a new tube shortwave
receiver as a usable, practical set.

That means no regens, no DC bull****, and no plug in coils. It must
have production grade RF and IF coils, a bandswitch, and require
alignment. If sold as a kit the builder will need a RF generator and a
scope (or a spec an or CSM with a track gen).

It should use off the shelf parts even if those shelves are bare, as
it is better to copy an existing item than design from scratch. I
would clone the Eddystone dial mechanism and the bandswitch and coils
from some Hallicrafters or Hammarlund set, they could be sold as
desperately needed replacement spares for the old sets too. I would
use a seeing eye tube mounted in a hole in the dial as opposed to a
meter movement, again, getting a run of new tubes made is possible if
you are buying several thousand. There are some surplus that could be
used if really needed too.

I would use a separate power supply and speaker for several reasons.

I would have the radio take in B+ and heater voltage and put out 600
ohm +4 audio. A regular supply could be used at home or car battery
and a switchmode brick for B+. A headphone jack would be supplied off
this tube.

The set should cover 500 kHz to 30 MHz, AM, SSB and CW, with a
product detector of course. A 455 kHz IF is needed so as to use common
mechanical or crystal filters, which are optional. There should also
be a 455 kHz IF out for an external synchronous detector.

Any other comments?
Posted to rec.audio.tubes,rec.radio.shortwave
David Barts David Barts is offline

My guess is that the cost you would have to charge to recoup the time
and effort you put together in coming up with such a design would end
up making such a set *much* more expensive than just going to a ham
fest, buying a Hammarlund in good shape, and fixing it up. Or even
paying someone else to fix it up.
Posted to rec.audio.tubes,rec.radio.shortwave
[email protected] rrusston@hotmail.com is offline

On Nov 11, 12:04*am, David Barts
wrote:
My guess is that the cost you would have to charge to recoup the time
and effort you put together in coming up with such a design would end
up making such a set *much* more expensive than just going to a ham
fest, buying a Hammarlund in good shape, and fixing it up. Or even
paying someone else to fix it up.

I already have a R-390, two Hammarlunds and a Racal....I wanted to
manufacture something. Or at least think about it.
Posted to rec.audio.tubes,rec.radio.shortwave
D. Peter Maus D. Peter Maus is offline

On 11/11/11 24:15 , wrote:
On Nov 11, 12:04 am, David
wrote:
My guess is that the cost you would have to charge to recoup the time
and effort you put together in coming up with such a design would end
up making such a set *much* more expensive than just going to a ham
fest, buying a Hammarlund in good shape, and fixing it up. Or even
paying someone else to fix it up.

I already have a R-390, two Hammarlunds and a Racal....I wanted to
manufacture something. Or at least think about it.

Certainly worth thinking about.

Maybe worth doing. But consider:

Tubes are getting harder to come buy. Not that they can't be had.
And after an EMP, they're likely to be as available as working SS
devices. But there are inherent issues with Tubes. One is that they
use a LOT of precious energy, that in a survival mode situation is
best conserved for other applications, or longer listening. Another
is that voltages are much higher than those that can be recovered
after or during a crisis with ease. Low voltage, low current devices
are going to be more desirable when energy is in short supply.

But, more importantly, tube receivers aren't necessarily less
prone to damage by EMP than SS receivers. In fact, there is
empirical evidence to suggest that SS receivers can be made to
survive an EMP where a tube receiver will not.

Your best options, then, would include building a reasonably high
performance receiver with readily available common parts, and take
measures, such as a Faraday cage, and effective grounding/input
protection measures, to render your station if not immune, then more
resistant to stray or induced hostile voltages.

Now, you have a practical, and manufacturable, product.

Posted to rec.audio.tubes,rec.radio.shortwave
RHF RHF is offline

On Nov 11, 8:57*am, "D. Peter Maus" wrote:
On 11/11/11 24:15 , wrote:

On Nov 11, 12:04 am, David
wrote:
[...]

-wrt- Faraday Cage :
Old Metal {Steel} Garbage Can with a
tight fitting Lid. -store-holding-
+ The Solid State AM/FM/SW Radio
+ Plenty of Batteries
-or- Re-Chargeable Batteries and a
Solar Charger

-no-tubes-required- ~ RHF

Posted to rec.audio.tubes,rec.radio.shortwave
John Smith[_5_] John Smith[_5_] is offline

On 11/11/2011 10:10 PM, RHF wrote:

-wrt- Faraday Cage :
Old Metal {Steel} Garbage Can with a
tight fitting Lid. -store-holding-
+ The Solid State AM/FM/SW Radio
+ Plenty of Batteries
-or- Re-Chargeable Batteries and a
Solar Charger

-no-tubes-required- ~ RHF
.

Satellites are withstanding these on an almost daily basis, for years,
if not decades ... doesn't seem to be a real problem anymore ...
however, laying hands to that technology might be a bit of a different
story ... as, while one nation might wants its' own satellites hardened,
it certainly doesn't want the enemies ...

Regards,
JS
Posted to rec.audio.tubes,rec.radio.shortwave

On Nov 11, 4:52*pm, wrote:
*With the survivalist market as well as the DIYers who would build a
kit I have given thought to the idea of building a new tube shortwave
receiver as a usable, practical set.

Most people who are into radio might think you are irrational, because
good short wave reception with tubes has been done by major
manufacturers of the past rather better than you can ever imagine to
achieve, unless you have far greater intelligence than their leading
chief designers wo passed lots of exams and universities and had
passed the test of being jolly good fellows in the real world of
private enterprise employment and marketing activities with the now
mentioned Racal, and Hammlund, Hallicrafters et all, just to name a
few.

*That means no regens, no DC bull****,

Regenerative boost I can understand, but "DC bull****" Such a term
does not appear in any electronic books written prior to 1960 when
tubed radio was regarded as the best mature technology for SW
reception.

and no plug in coils. It must
have production grade RF and IF coils, a bandswitch, and require
alignment. If sold as a kit the builder will need a RF generator and a
scope (or a spec an or CSM with a track gen).

You must be dreamin'. Its not clear at all what you want. Do you wanna
make a radio from scratch, or do ya wanna buy a kit made by some
sucker who is likely to find he'll sell 2 kits over 10 years, and get
a lousy price from YOU?

If ya wanna build just ONE HF receiver for you only, then there's
plenty of old books on making radios, just follow what you read in the
books, de-bug all what you build, as all the manufacturers have done
before you.
What happens first though? Do you die in ten years leaving behind a
mess to clean up and no working radio, or you get a working radio in 3
months, fairly well perfected, and live for 9 years and 9 mths to
enjoy it?

*It should use off the shelf parts even if those shelves are bare, as
it is better to copy an existing item than design from scratch. I
would clone the Eddystone dial mechanism and the bandswitch and coils
from some Hallicrafters or Hammarlund set, they could be sold as
desperately needed replacement spares for the old sets too.

Ah, just WHO is going to clone anything from the past and make any
money?

use a seeing eye tube mounted in a hole in the dial as opposed to a
meter movement, again, getting a run of new tubes made is possible if
you are buying several thousand. There are some surplus that could be
used if really needed too.

Your dreamin again. Its totally stupid to expect anyone might sell
thousands of NEW made copies of 1960 SW radios sets without conducting
a thorough market feasibility study. The COMPETION for what you
propose now has become so overwhelming that nobody in their right mind
would consider having say 10,000 new 6BA6, 6BE6 etc manufactured for a
production run of thousands of SW sets.

Before asking us silly questions, have you :-
1. Learnt all about SW tube radio, 2. Drawn up a probable, or
provisional parts list, 3. spent weeks chasing quotes for parts
exactly as yo specifiy, 4, Generally put in a whole lot of work so far
without relying on any of us, who, IMHO, will conclude you are on a
goose chase.

*I would use a separate power supply and speaker for several reasons.

Well of course, but you'll die when you work out the cost of
production for your project is 100 times what people now pay for SW
reception with a whole pile of features you'll probably not want to
include.

*I would have the radio take in B+ and heater voltage and put out 600
ohm +4 audio. A regular supply could be used at home or car battery
and a switchmode brick for B+. A headphone jack would be supplied off
this tube.

*The set should cover 500 kHz to 30 MHz, AM, SSB and CW, with a
product detector of course. A 455 kHz IF is needed so as to use common
mechanical or crystal filters, which are optional. There should also
be a 455 kHz IF out for an external synchronous detector.

All those features have already been well sorted out by old makers.

But there was a magazine called Electronics Australia which has now
been swallowed up by 'Silicon Chip' but they have a CD with the old
magazines monthly output from 1939 to 1965.
http://shop.siliconchip.com.au/radio...ch-1965-1.html

Perhaps within that magazine you'll find full articles about building
good SW radios with tubes which were second to none.

Hardly any of the parts used are now available, but hey, yo issa
dreamer, and you'll just dream them all up.
Reality is that you might spend years building such a set, at a
glacial rate of 1 tube stage per 3 months. My bet is that of the maybe
200 blokes who attempted to build the radios which are so well
described in the magazine, maybe 10 finished a set to a respectable
standard. Magazines became viable, because dreamers bought them.
Mostly do-little nerds as I recall. What's so rivettingly interesting
about SW reception? What form of media entertainament is worth
listening to on SW? What is available on SW which ain't available
elsewhere, apart from a pile of noise, poor audio, whistles, fade
outs, and old amateur blokes droning on and on about their latest
hospital operations? New York police maybe?

I regularly restore old radios. Last job was a 1947 Healing floor
standing 5 band AM radio for the fashionable Bling-Blang generation of
1947, ie, my parents generation. It has a 6J8 mixer plus 6U7 IF, and
is chockoblock with coils and special wafer switches but it does give
remarkably good reception of Radio America of China Calling even in
daytime, with a long wire antenna taken out to a nearby tree. Anyway,
I put in about 130 hours fixin up the old banger, and the one section
I didn't alter at all was the 3 band SW section. Not much alignment
was needed to maximise performance. Local MW was changed to ferrite
rod antenna replacing the horrible high impedance RF input tranny
which worked fine before the present which is riddled with hum
imposing itself on many incoming signals in the electro static portion
of the electromagnetic waves. The ferrite rod reacts to the magnetic
part of the incoming wave which is not affected by compact fluorescent
lamps et all.

But now we have local Digital Radio Broadcasting now all based on
frequencies up around 250Mhz. The local Australian Broadcasting
Commission, or ABC, has just begun trials here for broadcasting of all
they have on MW, 2 stations, and all they have on FM, another 2
stations, on digital. Don't ask me how DAB works. I can't find any
schematics of concise explanations.

So, listeners who have loved their old tubed radio set because it
carried the MW local stations now don't need to use their tubed set,
and can access the old AM station program noise free and with full
audio BW with hi-fi specs from their tiny little box sets for DAB.

Now sometimes ppl with radios capable of SW might try surfing the
bands, but now DAB is here ppl won't be able to surf these SW bands,
but then who ever did ?

There were 101 different ideas put forward for providing a decent
tubed SW radio which never saw commercial development and production,
such as the early synchrodyne. The superhet was deemed to be the best.
Racal had 3 mixers, and was remarkably stable for an old banger but
now with digtally generated oscillator F and all that chipery stuff
and computer controlled stuff, stablity is far better now. Wanna copy
a Yeasu?

If I wanted to build a 6 band SW radio now I think I might have 6 j-
fet RF amp stages well controlled by AVC, then 6 j-fets for
oscillators, and thus not need a special made bandswitch, except some
generic easy to buy wafer switch from Farnells with 6 positions. Mixer
could be one of many options, maybe more than one, to minimise
switching of the IF output. With such cheap small devices with high gm
and low noise, the cost is far less than a complex switch and just two
tubes to work on all bands. But all this is so easy to say, and such
things are easier said than done, and succes relies on YOU. And there
are very few ppl here who are heavily into farnarkling with HF radios,
so there are not many brains here to be picked, or if you do try,
you'll probably get 101 suggestions all requiring maybe years to
perfect and after that you still can't equal the best old sets.
I heard about a bloke who built a CD player using just generic opamps.
It took so long......

Any other comments?

But good luck with you quest. You'll definately need +60dB of that.

Patrick Turner.

Posted to rec.audio.tubes,rec.radio.shortwave
Geoffrey S. Mendelson Geoffrey S. Mendelson is offline

Patrick Turner wrote:
But good luck with you quest. You'll definately need +60dB of that.

Patrick, I too was going to write something like that, but you did far
better than I could.

The point that was buried in his original posting was that he is building
an "EMP-PROOF" radio to sell to the survivalist market.

Personally I think it is a fools errand, you can't build a modern radio
similar to the high performing ones of the past at a cost anyone will pay,
since in comparison, you can buy any one of the many old radios that will do,
pay a professional to refurbish and align it, and buy several lifetimes worth
of spare parts for far less.

Not only that but radio collecting is a well known and liked hobby, nobody is
going to take a second look at that old transoceanic on your shelf, but
many would flip out seeing any firearm.

If you are paranoid, you an even find stores in many places where you can buy
a refurbished radio for cash and leave a fake name and address.

Geoff.

--
Geoffrey S. Mendelson, N3OWJ/4X1GM
My high blood pressure medicine reduces my midichlorian count. :-(

Posted to rec.audio.tubes,rec.radio.shortwave
Lord Valve Lord Valve is offline

"Geoffrey S. Mendelson" wrote:

Patrick Turner wrote:
But good luck with you quest. You'll definately need +60dB of that.

Patrick, I too was going to write something like that, but you did far
better than I could.

The point that was buried in his original posting was that he is building
an "EMP-PROOF" radio to sell to the survivalist market.

SS sets are cheap and easily obtainable.

Even a Happy Harry Home-owner type can cheaply build a
small Faraday cage to keep one in, if anticipating an EMP.

Personally I think it is a fools errand, you can't build a modern radio
similar to the high performing ones of the past at a cost anyone will pay,
since in comparison, you can buy any one of the many old radios that will do,
pay a professional to refurbish and align it, and buy several lifetimes worth
of spare parts for far less.

You'd better invest in a generator and a supply of petrol, too...

Not only that but radio collecting is a well known and liked hobby, nobody is
going to take a second look at that old transoceanic on your shelf, but
many would flip out seeing any firearm.

Your friends are all hoplophobes?

Why would anyone "flip out" when seeing a firearm?
Hell, I have one in my pocket right now, and I can see
two more from where I'm sitting. They don't look all
that spooky to me.

If you are paranoid, you an even find stores in many places where you can buy
a refurbished radio for cash and leave a fake name and address.

Huh?

Where are you posting from? Why would anyone need to
leave his name and address - fake or otherwise - when
purchasing a radio?

Got guns?

Lord Valve
American - so far

Posted to rec.audio.tubes,rec.radio.shortwave

On 11/11/11 08:42 , Lord Valve wrote:

If you are paranoid, you an even find stores in many places where you can buy
a refurbished radio for cash and leave a fake name and address.

Huh?

Where are you posting from? Why would anyone need to
leave his name and address - fake or otherwise - when
purchasing a radio?

Because cash transactions are coming under the scrutiny of
authority, today. Louisiana just became the most recent state to
require identity of purchaser in a cash transaction or a ban on the
cash transaction. Even a used purchase from a flea market or a
garage sale.

Other states are currently debating this provision.

Posted to rec.audio.tubes,rec.radio.shortwave
m II m II is offline

Posted to rec.audio.tubes,rec.radio.shortwave

On Nov 12, 3:45*am, "D. Peter Maus" wrote:
On 11/11/11 08:42 , Lord Valve wrote:

If you are paranoid, you an even find stores in many places where you can buy
a refurbished radio for cash and leave a fake name and address.

Huh?

Where are you posting from? Why would anyone need to
leave his name and address - fake or otherwise - when
purchasing a radio?

* *Because cash transactions are coming under the scrutiny of
authority, today. Louisiana just became the most recent state to
require identity of purchaser in a cash transaction or a ban on the
cash transaction. Even a used purchase from a flea market or a
garage sale.

* *Other states are currently debating this provision.

How about that. I guess the Taxation and Police authorities might like
to know how and where ppl spend their cash.

But I heard that since 911, hundreds of huge and mainly hidden
buildings housing about 2 million workers across the USA have been
quietly built and operate to filter all email traffic and phone
traffic to detect terrorists and possibly anyone other selectable
target, like people trading in OLD STUFF like old radios which consume
the same amount of electricity to run an air con unit, or 500 i-pods.
These spying centers suck in digital data like huge vacuum cleaners,
then apply a filter for key words. One wonders if such centers could
detect the next intended school shooting or Oklahoma Bombing.
The so called BLACK ECONOMY, ie, the flow of cash which can't be
traced and hence isn't taxed is one of the big reasons to try to
outlaw cash, and thus have everyone pay the transaction cost to a 3rd
party by means of the credit card. But here in Oz, cash is still
widely used, and everyone I know does not need to be told to bring
cash when paying me peanut wages for radio repairs. I explain to ppl
that average wages are 60 grand a year now, ie, $1,300 a week for the
46 weeks out of 52 ppl actually work, ie, $32.50c per hour of 40 hrs a
week.
(( Ppl get to "administer" this amount, then have to pay $10 income
tax and maybe 25 other various bribes to banks for mortage payments
and GST, and company profits etc, etc, etc, before keeping $3.25 to
buy bananas to give the banana farmer a similar amount via the system
of banana distribution so he ends up with 10c per banana. Its all far
more complex than a company boss or union rep is willing to
describe )). But a radio might take 120 hrs to fix right, and maybe I
get $600, after giving them a discount of $3,300 off the wages of
$3,900 which should be paid for 120 hours of work. Cash will be around
for awhile yet, but in 20 years perhaps goverments will try to save
money by not printing it. I'll be dead as the species of cash becomes
extinct like the lions, tigers, and elephants, and thousands of lesser
known species. Trouble may come if a government values a radio repair
transaction as being worth say $3,900 instead of $600, and taxes
people on the same rate as those earning average weekly earnings to
discourage anyone offering discounts to compete, or to survive. All
sorts of BS is possible, but so far, afaik, cash is still extremely
popular here. But in 1983, if someone wanted to extend their house,
all work valued above $10,000 had to be "declared" to prevent ppl
hiding un-seen cash income in the form of house improvements. Guess
what. Ppl just did little bits of improvements at a time and still
managed to get their house extensions approved by the govt
authorities. Bundles of notes went out of one pocket and into another
one. But in Greece, there is mastery of the cash economy, and they
have many other devious ways of keeping NOSY PARKER GOVT out of
business, and as a result, you see the mess Greece is in. Two sides to
every story.
Maybe another Great Depression might just happen. The Financial System
BEAST of the world survives because other ppl have a hand in YOUR
pocket whether you like it or not. The Beast extracts a steady trickle
of bucks to make credit flow. The trickle is like food, a small
percentage of body weight needs to be consumed by the Beast each day
to survive and if the trickle feed stops, the Beast gets very sick
indeed, thus giving everyone the ****s in a big way. Departments of
taxation and Criminal control departments of governments around the
world are part of the Beast. Beastly health is mostly desirable, but
colly wobbles can now be heard.

And there is a gigantic building here worth a billion or two being
built at high speed for ASIO, the Oz branch of CIA equivalent, right
here in town. Maybe it'll have about 3,000 ppl employed to keep a
watch on what everyone else is doing, saying, typing, and sending, and
its only "one small step" to knowing what everyone is thinking, and a
"giant leap for mankind" to control thinking.

From what I see, everyone wants a cheap deal and they don't care about
your wages, just their own.
Ppl don't care about the environment of anyone or anything living more
than 5km away from themselves.
Most ppl don't really mind being spied on.
And many will happily spy on everyone else.
Its going on, and people ain't rioting in the streets about it.

Patrick Turner.

Posted to rec.audio.tubes,rec.radio.shortwave
[email protected] rrusston@hotmail.com is offline

Wow, I lit a loaded fart off here, didn't I?

First, I said use a Hallicrafters band switch and an Eddystone dial
because there's probably a market for those with old Hallicrafterses
with bad bandswitches and with regen builders respectively. The
problem with the Hallicrafters band switch replacement market is that
there are so many DIFFERENT ones, if they were all the same they'd be
reproduced. Remember rotary switches are modular, to a degree, the
company that makes them builds them out of mostly off the shelf parts,
and in fact you CAN get new ones built, but the problem is that they
cost more than the value of most hallicrafters radios, since they have
to put them together as one offs. 500 units takes the price from $400
to $25-50 each. At twenty five bucks a shot you could sell a couple
hundred in six months....IF you had a unit that went into enough
popular radios.

Eddystone dials are a similar thing.

The market has to be a mix of nostalgia and survival mentality. Yes,
a solid state radio can be made EMP proof, or highly resistant, but it
takes some doing.

As far as power in such a situation....In the old days they used car
batteries for heater voltages and a stack of dry cells, a dynamotor or
a vibra-pack for B+..

Look carefully at the old Collins and National sets. They developed
it to something of a fine art.

As an aside, any "survivalist" with half a brain has buried a couple
of solid state complete radios as well as a pile of surplus
semiconductors useful post-Blast in old ammo cans. A stash of common
bipolar and FETs, silicon diodes, common chips for radios and whatnot,
buried under ground could be more valuable than gold and at a hell of
a lot lower current acquisition price today. Some discussion on which
types would be interesting.

I don't consider myself a survivalist but I have a couple of guns and
some ammo buried along with a couple of full jerry cans of 100LL avgas
(it doesn't go bad) and some electronic stuff, plus some garage sale
Craftsman tools, some spools of wire from a motor shop (short ends),
and a couple things I won't mention. Better safe than sorry I figure.
Posted to rec.audio.tubes,rec.radio.shortwave
[email protected] rrusston@hotmail.com is offline

Australia got stupid with its gun laws when they let the 'sheilas'
vote. We got Prohibition under similar circumstances.

Female suffrage was a great idea...NOT!
Posted to rec.audio.tubes,rec.radio.shortwave
D. Peter Maus D. Peter Maus is offline

On 11/15/11 19:05 , flipper wrote:
On Fri, 11 Nov 2011 10:45:09 -0600, "D. Peter Maus"
wrote:

On 11/11/11 08:42 , Lord Valve wrote:

If you are paranoid, you an even find stores in many places where you can buy
a refurbished radio for cash and leave a fake name and address.

Huh?

Where are you posting from? Why would anyone need to
leave his name and address - fake or otherwise - when
purchasing a radio?

Because cash transactions are coming under the scrutiny of
authority, today. Louisiana just became the most recent state to
require identity of purchaser in a cash transaction or a ban on the
cash transaction. Even a used purchase from a flea market or a
garage sale.

You need to be more cautious and critical of Internet and media hype.

And you need to make sure you're not talking to someone getting
his information first hand from the legislators voting on the bill.

It does not apply to non profits, flea markets, garage sales, persons
solely engaged in the business of buying, selling, trading in, or
otherwise acquiring or disposing of motor vehicles and used parts of
motor vehicles, or wreckers or dismantlers of motor vehicles, dealers
in coins and currency, dealers in antiques, gun and knife shows or
other trade and hobby shows, and, well, anyone who isn't a "secondhand
dealer"

Actually, these are specifically what the law is intended to
address.

Posted to rec.audio.tubes,rec.radio.shortwave

On Nov 11, 11:29*pm, "Geoffrey S. Mendelson"
wrote:
Patrick Turner wrote:
But good luck with you quest. You'll definately need +60dB of that.

Patrick, I too was going to write something like that, but you did far
better than I could.

The point that was buried in his original posting was that he is building
an "EMP-PROOF" radio to sell to the survivalist market.

Oh, I didn't think of that. If WW3 breaks out, all arses will have
departed, because on hearing about the beginning of WW3 off the
Internet, everyone will bend down to kiss their arse goodbye, and
arses will depart, bye-bye, and no need for toilets or food any
more.

But "survivalist" resonated exuberantly in my mind because I'm 64, and
the foppish Beatles used to sing a song "will ya still lerve me when
I'm 64?". I'm 64. I know the answer, forbidden to be sung about by
anyone, and its NO, no one at all will lerve ya when your'e 64, so
that means all that's left is survival against a rotten horrible
marauding mob of young upstarts hell bent on invading and pillaging
and burying alive all that my father's generation established, and
they all **** a lot while I'm not allowed to 'av one, well, not for
free, and mean while this horrible lot are decimating the remaining
species across the planet, and all trying to build absurdly large
mansionettes, while all sending huge quantites of CO2 skywards which
will ruin the weather, and exacerbate their self generated future
difficulties.

One "survivavlist" I know had two sound systems I serviced, a Quad-II
with early Whardale LS, and a Leak system. Once inside the door of his
house, one entered the lounge-room, and it was all exactly as it was
in 1955, with a 1956 newspaper on the coffee table screaming headlines
"SUEZ BOMBED". 1956 was a time when the rot of modernity really got a
toe past the front door of most ppl, and rock and roll was seen as
just as bad as WW3.

So, this survivalist guy just saw no reason to mentally proceed past
1956. He worked his way up to being chief conserverator at the
Australian Sound and Film Archives where much of the audio-visual
media of the past ends up to be converted to digital files for future
generations to enjoy, and for old blokes to gloat over.

I humbly seek approval and aknowledgement that I know what
"survivalist" means, and I can also back up mu claim because I know
now that the older I get, the betta I was, and I have the recently
created medical and dental records to prove it.

Personally I think it is a fools errand, you can't build a modern radio
similar to the high performing ones of the past at a cost anyone will pay,
since in comparison, you can buy any one of the many old radios that will do,
pay a professional to refurbish and align it, and buy several lifetimes worth
of spare parts for far less.

Professionals who know about old Racals and so on are just about all
dead now.
But to copy a Racal so you could provide a kit would be financial
suicide.

Not only that but radio collecting is a well known and liked hobby, nobody is
going to take a second look at that old transoceanic on your shelf, but
many would flip out seeing any firearm.

If you are paranoid, you an even find stores in many places where you can buy
a refurbished radio for cash and leave a fake name and address.

Well, lotsa Mr Para Noids getting around on the Internet; they all
broadcast their ideas, using a false nickname, and wouldn't dare use
the name given to them by their parents.

So paranoidism isn't any big deal.

Bet ya don't go out to night clubs at 2AM any more to hunt for hot
crumpet. Too many arsoles will happily mug you. Paranoidism prevents
you wandering like a lost old dog than the young bitches will laugh
at. Survivalism has you staying at home.

But bicycles are safe during the day.

Patrick Turner.

Geoff.

--
Geoffrey S. Mendelson, *N3OWJ/4X1GM
My high blood pressure medicine reduces my midichlorian count. :-(

Posted to rec.audio.tubes,rec.radio.shortwave

wrote in message
With the survivalist market as well as the DIYers who would build a
kit I have given thought to the idea of building a new tube shortwave
receiver as a usable, practical set.

I can't imagine that any rational survivalist would waste power running
tubed electronics. I guess you could hype the EMP issue, but even that can
be handled better with SS.

Posted to rec.audio.tubes,rec.radio.shortwave
Dave Dave is offline

On Thu, 10 Nov 2011 21:52:48 -0800, rrusston wrote:
the bandswitch and coils from
some Hallicrafters or Hammarlund set,

Anyone who'd use the old Halli bandswitch has never had to fix a Halli
bandswitch.

The trouble with valve radios is they use lots of electricity.
Posted to rec.audio.tubes,rec.radio.shortwave

On Thu, 10 Nov 2011, wrote:

With the survivalist market as well as the DIYers who would build a
kit I have given thought to the idea of building a new tube shortwave
receiver as a usable, practical set.

But since you never specify why it should use tubes, you sound like a
kook.

I assume you are thinking tubes so they won't be damaged by EMP. But you
have to consider if that's a real reality, or some fantasy. There are
loads of reasons why someone might want to be prepared, without coming
close to a nuclear blast. But those other reasons might much rather have
a battery operated radio rather than the high current drain of tubes.

I can stockpile batteries for a solid state shortwave receiver, I can keep
some larger batteries on hand as an external supply, I could run a low
current receiver off a solar panel, there are lots of options. But once
you start drawing current to heat those tube filaments, you are really
stuck. Yes, you can use an inverter off a car battery, but then have to
keep charging the battery. Note that in the old days, running tube
equipment in the car, you mostly had the car running, so there was current
coming from the alternator, rather than just relying on the battery.

That means no regens, no DC bull****, and no plug in coils. It must
have production grade RF and IF coils, a bandswitch, and require
alignment. If sold as a kit the builder will need a RF generator and a
scope (or a spec an or CSM with a track gen).

Why? You really havent' specified what you want, you are then jumping
into fine details. For emergencies, it may be a really useful choice. But
you are being wishy washy in your criteria, so who knows. A regen is
lousy for regular reception at this point in time.

No, you don't want a direct conversion receiver, since those are best for
CW and SSB, not great for straight AM (which presumably is your target).
But once can get pretty fancy with DC receivers, even including proper
reception of AM. It will get more complicated, but proper design requires
looking at multiple possibilities, and since every design will be a
tradeoff, you need to take off your blinders and look at possibilities
before deciding something is more suitable.

Note that the regen is "direct conversion", at least once you kick it into
oscillation. And there were various designs of "direct conversion" in the
earlier days of radio, though not called "direct conversion". Even in
1961, there was a tube based direct conversion receiver in QST.

The early wave of direct conversion solid state receivers often
compromised. They'd be direct conversion on one band (or maybe not at
all) and then a converter ahead of it, which made it a superheterodyne
receiver, albeit with no IF selectivity. There are some points in that
favor.

Indeed, many a good receiver was made with a single conversion receiver
tuning a fixed band, and then converters ahead of it (lots of homebrew
receivers, but also classics like the Collins receivers). That meant the
local oscillator could run at a low and fixed frequency, rather than a
wide segment (traditional single conversion to 455KHz receivers had about
a 2:1 tuning range on each band), so you can have good calibration, and
good tuning, the oscillator running at a low frequency and not needing to
be switched in frequency from band to band (problems in that alone). The
problem was that it meant a crystal for every segment you wanted to tune
(got around initially by choosing which segments, nobody says you have to
have all 30Mhz of the shortwave band), though later synthesizers fixed
that. Of course, there was also the Wadley loop that sort of synthesized
the first oscillator, at the cost of an extra mixer and complicated
circuitry.

For that matter, one popular method of getting a shortwaver receiver was
to get a car radio (they often had better selectivity, and better image
rejection along with better sensitivity, plus good tuning) and put a
converter or converters ahead of it, getting double conversion. Leave the
bulk of the construction to the car radio manufacturers and just build the
converter, a relatively simple task. This is now harder if you can't find
a car radio with analog tuning, since the 10KHz steps of a synthesized car
radio is not the 5KHz that shortwave broadcasters use (and even 5KHz is
too wide for the ham bands).

Note also that in the thirties there were the "supergainers", regen
receivers with converters ahead of them (or looked at differently,
superhets with regen receivers as the IF), a fusion that provided some
advantages. Even in the solid state era you'd see those in the ham
magazines, sometimes people even putting crystal filters before the regen
detector.

No plug in coils? Then again you haven't stated your prime criteria (no
plug in coils in not criteria, it's the result of some criteria you
haven't specified. In the old days, the bandswitch often was a key
problem in a multiband radio. It had to switch LC circuits at
increasingly high frequencies. The switch often got in the way, and
physical layout was determined by the bandswitch (though some companies
bult the bandswitch for the receiver, so the layout could be better).
Coils have a simplicity, though of course that doesn't include fast
bandswitching. The HRO used plug in coils right up till the point of
solid state, and many thought that line was a great receiver. All those
recievers with converters ahead of them meant one could plug in a
converter per band, rather than switch LC circuits. More expensive, but
if you use transistors the solid state devices dont' add much to the cost,
unlike tubes that were costly and bulky.

Your fantasy designing has overlooked the home builder's need to align the
receiver. Fixated on the way things used to be, you havent' considered
that if you spend the money differently, it may make user alignment
simpler.

It should use off the shelf parts even if those shelves are bare, as
it is better to copy an existing item than design from scratch. I
would clone the Eddystone dial mechanism and the bandswitch and coils
from some Hallicrafters or Hammarlund set, they could be sold as
desperately needed replacement spares for the old sets too. I would
use a seeing eye tube mounted in a hole in the dial as opposed to a
meter movement, again, getting a run of new tubes made is possible if
you are buying several thousand. There are some surplus that could be
used if really needed too.

YOu want to construct a fifty year old receiver. There are virtually no
off the shelf parts left for those. There aren't shelfs or local radio
stores to sell those parts.

You havne't made the tradeoff between old and new. That crummy Eton hand
held shortwave receiver I got at a garage sale in September for 2.00 is no
better than the junk solid state Hallicrafters S-120A receiver I spent $80
for in the summer of 1971. But, it uses an IC to provide a frequency
counter, which means one can actually have good frequency readout, without
all kinds of expensive dials and calibration. The IC is dirt cheap, the
Eddystone dial if it was still being made today would be terribly
expensive. The dial seems simpler, but this is a case of complication
making the overall design far simpler. Oddly, that hand held Eton radio
does take more advantage of having a frequency counter on board, they
break up the tuning into smaller segments (since they don't have to
calibrate a dial, or provide space for a whole bunch of bands, why not?)
which means the simple tuning pot is not too obnoxious.

I would use a separate power supply and speaker for several reasons.
I would have the radio take in B+ and heater voltage and put out 600
ohm +4 audio. A regular supply could be used at home or car battery
and a switchmode brick for B+. A headphone jack would be supplied off
this tube.

A solid state receiver would run off a battery, and the built in supply
wouldn't be a burden when unused. If you're really stuck with tubes, why
not get original, wind your own transformer, then have the AC coming from
the wall turned into DC and an oscillator that feeds the transformer.
Running at a higher frequency, the transformer can be smaller. But, done
right, you can have another oscillator that runs off 12vdc, and that feeds
a diffeent winding of the transformer, so you've got your dual mode power
supply without making two supplies. You haven't throught this through, you
haven't done nearly enough wide thinking. You are just trying to
duplicate the past, without any great reason for it.

The set should cover 500 kHz to 30 MHz, AM, SSB and CW, with a
product detector of course. A 455 kHz IF is needed so as to use common
mechanical or crystal filters, which are optional. There should also
be a 455 kHz IF out for an external synchronous detector.

Your bias is there. For at least fifty years one could get good
selectivity in the shortwave frequencies, initially down around 2Mhz but
then 9MHz became kind of standard. Even tube receivers were built with
such "high" IFs. Right away you get rid of the problem of image
rejection, with such a high IF the front end selectivity is lessened
(especially for the higher bands). Alignment is simplified, indeed a
single conversion receiver with a 9Mhz IF no longer has to gang the local
oscillator tuning with the front end tuning, there's no longer a problem
of an image 910KHz away (I've seen reviews for single conversion 455KHz
low end receivers from the old days, I remember one said "we couldnt' tell
which was the image and which was the real signal, they were of equal
strength"). You lose some segment around the IF frequency, but chosen
properly you won't miss much. Of course, 9MHz IF filters are more
expensive than 455KHz ceramic filters (which is what many receivers use),
which can then be a problem if you want multiple bandwidths. One way to
get around that is to go with a high IF and then a low IF, though not
without tradeoffs. Note that mechanical filters are not inexpensive, that
is only the case if one finds one on the used or surplus market. Crystal
filters at 455KHz were commonly single crystals, a good peak but not so
great skirt selectivity, and they'd provide multiple bandwidths by loading
the crystal down. One might as well go with a higher IF and make ladder
crystal filters, one for SSB and another for AM.

Or put a phasing system at 9MHz, with a relatively wide (and cheap)
crystal filter ahead of it (10.7MHz may then be better, it's not a common
frequency for narrow bandwidth filters but is common for narrow FM
bandwidth filters). A good phasing system will knock out the unwanted
sideband, and audio selectivity will be effective. Done properly, it can
be synchronized to the incoming signal for AM reception.

Or use a high IF and then 455KHz. This has an advantage that you can add
some tuning to the second conversion oscillator, making it fine tuning.
Some portable shortwave receivers used this scheme before the move to
higher first IFs. Indeed, with a synthesized oscillator (well not if you
still want tubes), broad steps make it simpler to design and build, and
having a fine tuning on the second conversion oscillator then fills in
between steps.

the point? A practical receiver for now is different from the nostalgia
of the old days. Simple to build may mean a simple receiver, or it may
mean adding complication in order for the end builder to have little
problem assemblying it or aligning it. Adding extra stages may add cost,
but may some other point simpler.

And don't assume single conversion to 455KHz receivers were the ultimate
in design. They weren't, they were tradeoffs and some got around problems
by making them more complicated, others lived with the problems.

Michael

Any other comments?

Posted to rec.audio.tubes,rec.radio.shortwave

On 11/10/2011 9:52 PM, wrote:
[...]

Yeah, why would anyone build a survival set whose filaments would burn
much more power than a VERY high end transistor set? You plan on
hauling around sq yards of solar cells to power that rig?

Regards,
JS

Posted to rec.audio.tubes,rec.radio.shortwave

On Nov 12, 5:07*am, John Smith wrote:
On 11/10/2011 9:52 PM, wrote:

[...]

JS- Hide quoted text -

The OP may not be hauling mobile tube stuff anywhere. But best SW
reception is at night, when the sun don't shine, and the wind hardly
blows much. But many ppl here have bought solar photo-voltaic systems
for the house roof and they sell the excess power back to the main
supplier of the Grid. This pays for the electricity used at other
times. But authorities worked out this payment for locally generated
power was a subsidy paid by those without solar, and a loss and big
****fights over money occurred soon after solar panel uptake went way
over what was expected. Encouraging solar was regarded as part of the
"Being seen to be doing something Green and Good" and therefore
getting votes, while in reality increasing the cost of electricity,
and making SFA difference to overall CO2 emissions. So pay back rates
ahve plummeted, and solar companies have gone broke, as only the rich
can afford to pay for solar panels, let alone the batteries needed for
use of power at night. Country dwellers can get by on low power of
solar and batteries if they are careful and have low power everything,
use batteries, cook on wood fire, heat water with wood stove, use gas
maybe etc, but tube audio or radio is about out of the question,
unless you use the low filament current tubes meant for portable
radios so popular between 1935 and 1955. They would be very easy to
rum from a few batteries,
only 8 x 12V car batteries are needed for a B+ of 90Vdc, and its
simple to arrange low voltage DC batteries for directly heated
cathodes which use very little current. But such "portable tubes" are
not being made now.

Plenty of good solid state SW radios operating on very low power are
to be had. Ppl can then focus on antennas if they want good reception.
The receiver performance is basically solved, but after WW3, if you
survive, a good antenna to pick up other survivors transmitting with
low power might be handy. This assumes WW3 will send the world back to
about where it was in 1925, with maybe 2 billion survivors with
accelerated death rates, and ever declining technical production
ability for non essentials. Essentials like ammunition, bows and
arrows will be manufactured.

Patrick Turner.
Posted to rec.audio.tubes,rec.radio.shortwave
Steve Steve is offline

Hate to say this but you are doomed to fail from the start.
Why? There are PILES of tube type SW receivers available
now FAR cheaper than you could build one.

Hey, I get it. It'd be a fun project. I've thought about doing
something like this myself but seriously consider the cost.
Not just of the parts but the time involved in the design,
marketing, and *liability insurance*. Bet you didn't think
about that one!
Steve

Posted to rec.audio.tubes,rec.radio.shortwave

On Nov 21, 10:07*am, "Steve" wrote:
Hate to say this but you are doomed to fail from the start.
Why? There are PILES of tube type SW receivers available
now FAR cheaper than you could build one.

Hey, I get it. It'd be a fun project. I've thought about doing
something like this myself but seriously consider the cost.
Not just of the parts but the time involved in the design,
marketing, and *liability insurance*. Bet you didn't think
about that one!
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * Steve

Liability insurance is tattooing "SUE ME" on your butt cheeks.

The general aviation industry nearly put ITSELF out of business by
answering every lawsuit with....you guessed it...more liability
insurance. The scuba diving industry instituted a certification
program and convinced all the attorneys that if a noncertified diver
killed himself by the traditional methods (embolisms or drowning)
juries would just laugh at them. Sport diving equipment companies do
not carry PL coverage except for tank explosions out of the water. No
one sues them for diving accidents. If they did they'd get the keys to
an empty warehouse. The sport diving companies are all turnips,
judgementproof. The COMMERCIAL diving companies are very funny as to
whom they will sell. The few eccentric hobby hard hat guys will attest
to this.

You can buy scuba equipment for a lot less today than thirty years
ago, in adjusted dollars. Airplanes have gone up by a factor of three
or four or five.

Buy legal insurance, and incorporate yourself so that you can not be
construed to have a personal holding corporation. But never buy PL
insurance or if you do have it strictly limited to a circumstance
which is incidental.

As to the piles of existing sets, yeah, there are-most are in bad
need of restoration. And most of them weren't worth a **** new. The
few good ones are carefully husbanded. The surplus Collinses and
Hammarlunds are about gone.
Posted to rec.audio.tubes,rec.radio.shortwave
NT NT is offline

On Nov 11, 5:52*am, wrote:
[...]

The need for testgear to align the IF will wipe out 99.9% of any
potential market.

As pointed out, its going to be far too expensive. If you took that to
heart and tried to make something far cheaper, regeneration, although
a definite compromise, is a dead sure way to cut costs a lot, and has
angelic AGC performance. I recall a simple 3 valve 1930s regen set
giving rock steady audio on a signal even an exceptionally complex
modern dx set couldnt stabilise.

NT
Posted to rec.audio.tubes,rec.radio.shortwave

On Nov 25, 6:44*pm, NT wrote:
On Nov 11, 5:52*am, wrote:

[...]

One of the very reasons I DON"T like regens and direct conversions is
"No Alignment".

You need to have some kind of sig gen and preferably a scope. That's
a feature, not a bug.

Any hamfest in the US will net a working scope for a twenty dollar
bill and probably a usable RF generator for a similar sum. The guitar
amp ****s will part them out for the tubes and throw them in the
dumpster often as not.

In a pinch a grid dipper and a solid state RF probe attached to a DMM
will work.

Posted to rec.audio.tubes,rec.radio.shortwave
NT NT is offline

On Nov 26, 5:54*am, wrote:
On Nov 25, 6:44*pm, NT wrote:

On Nov 11, 5:52*am, wrote:

[...]

If I were designing such a product, I'd do everything in my power to
avoid end user alignment with testgear, for one very simple reason: it
wipes out 99.9% of your potential customers, its business suicide.

Perhaps one could use resonators instead of LCs, if you dont like the
interstation garbage of agced reaction.

NT
Posted to rec.audio.tubes,rec.radio.shortwave
NT NT is offline

On Nov 27, 4:08*pm, NT wrote:
On Nov 26, 5:54*am, wrote:

On Nov 25, 6:44*pm, NT wrote:

On Nov 11, 5:52*am, wrote:

[...]

Of course a valve radio is business suicide to begin with, performance
per dollar has come a long way since the valve era. Number of valve
radios currently on the market is zero, so no-one has managed to make
them compete with 30cent ICs and 2cent transistors.

NT
Posted to rec.audio.tubes,rec.radio.shortwave

On 11/27/11 10:18 , NT wrote:
On Nov 27, 4:08 pm, wrote:
On Nov 26, 5:54 am, wrote:

On Nov 25, 6:44 pm, wrote:

On Nov 11, 5:52 am, wrote:

[...]

Valves have a place in audio, for the truly faithful. But then,
audio only requires a few valve types, frequencies are easily
managed, and circuitry remains stable for much longer periods of
use. Whereas radio applications require more sophisticated valve
construction, and significantly different valve types for given
applications, to accomodate frequencies that stretch from 10X to
100000X audio frequencies.

What's comforting in radio with valve technology, is the general
sense that the technology itself is accessible. And widely
understood to be more forgiving. That valves may be removed, tested,
and replaced by the techologically limited, and operated under
conditions that would destroy solid state. Whereas, SS receivers,
self service requires a much higher level of skill, with a much
lower threshold of abuse. For those with limited technological
experience, this can be daunting. Especially, as in the case of this
receiver, during an emergency, where supply lines are uncertain, and
technical support is nonexistent.

I can see where the OP is coming from. Build an accessible
receiver that's fairly forgiving to extremes in noise, signal
levels, voltage, and hostile events, and you'd have a generally
useful rig for the general population in an emergency. It's a nice
thought.

But as has been pointed out here multiple times, SS technology in
a proper design has proven more resistant to EMP than generally
believed, operating voltages are easier to generate, and manage,
power requirements are lower, and performace of the technology is
dramatically improved since the days of valve receivers. All at a
fraction of the cost. And in an emergency, valve supplies will be
just as short as SS components.

All of which points to the fact that a well designed kit radio for
use in emergencies would be more like the Ten-Tec 1254, than it
would be like a Hallicrafters S-40. And the Ten-Tec 1254 is a kit,
costs $200, and requires no user alignment, but offers significant
performance across the spectrum from LF through HF.

In a package that's available now.

Posted to rec.audio.tubes,rec.radio.shortwave
[email protected] rrusston@hotmail.com is offline

NT
More options Nov 27, 10:08 am
On Nov 26, 5:54 am, wrote:

If I were designing such a product, I'd do everything in my power to
avoid end user alignment with testgear, for one very simple reason: it
wipes out 99.9% of your potential customers, its business suicide.

Perhaps one could use resonators instead of LCs, if you dont like the
interstation garbage of agced reaction.

NT

Reply Reply to author Forward
Report spam

NT
More options Nov 27, 10:18 am
On Nov 27, 4:08 pm, NT wrote:

Of course a valve radio is business suicide to begin with, performance
per dollar has come a long way since the valve era. Number of valve
radios currently on the market is zero, so no-one has managed to make
them compete with 30cent ICs and 2cent transistors.

I intend to set the expectation that you must have a bench with a
certain amount of basic test equipment and a proper soldering station
to do this. If you will or can not do this a different hobby is for
you.

Large numbers of Heathkits were built by people with NO skills, but
larger numbers got half finished and thrown in the dumpster or taken
to a shop and a large sum was paid to have them pro built to save
face. I knew a TV shop owner who had a policy: He'd fix ANY Heathkit
but he charged a one time fee equal to the kit price. Otherwise he
would not even look at them. Heathkits did a poor job of teaching
technicianship precisely because they were secretaryworthy.

Bauer built radio broadcasting gear the same way. A secretary could
build them and at NAB one year one did.

I am not looking at a BIG market.
Posted to rec.audio.tubes,rec.radio.shortwave

On Sun, 27 Nov 2011, NT wrote:

If I were designing such a product, I'd do everything in my power to
avoid end user alignment with testgear, for one very simple reason: it
wipes out 99.9% of your potential customers, its business suicide.

Perhaps one could use resonators instead of LCs, if you dont like the
interstation garbage of agced reaction.

And Heathkit is the model for that. They'd prealign tuned circuits,
they'd have certain stages as preassembled modules, they'd build some
relevant test equipment into the equipment (like those tv sets with some
sort of metering in the back). One I always liked was a scanner, they
included some parts to make up a 10.7MHz oscillator and mixer. The
oscillator would provide the signal to align the IF strip, and then you'd
mix the local oscillator with this outboard oscillator/mixer to get a
signal on the signal frequency, to align the front end.

Heathkit of course did design for the beginner, I gather once they had the
instructions together they found people who had never put a kit together
to follow the instructions so they could make sure they made sense (and if
followed properly, would result in a working piece of equipment).
Despite the fuss about Heathkit being for the hobbyist, they always had
taht color tv set, that musical organ, that boonie bike, that were
aimed at people who just wanted something cheaper, and were willing to
put some time into it. But that's why Heathkit shut down the kits, with
time the sorts of things their was interest in got so complicated (and
parts so small) that it was no longer cheap to come up with the
instructions, pack the kit compared to just building it at the factory.

As for ceramic resonators, I think that is a key point. Design is the
overall results. When companies put in ceramic resonators in everyday
radios, they did away with a large part of the alignment, so even if the
resonators were more expensive than IF transformers (I don't know) the
reduction in alignment time was still significant.

As I pointed out, move to a higher IF, you may pay more for an IF filter,
but you can do away with the need to gang the front end tuning with the
local oscillator, which simplifies things mechanically but also gets rid
fo a lot of troublesome alignment. It's relatively easy to get two stages
of front end tuning to align together, just go for a peak, but ganging it
with a local oscillator is more complicated.

The superhet alone is a concept that complicates something to make other
things easier. Make things more complicated, the mixer and oscillator,
and you dont' have to fuss with multiple stages on the RF frequency.

Sometimes the "simplest" solution ends up with more work than the more
complicated one.

Michael

Posted to rec.audio.tubes,rec.radio.shortwave

On Nov 27, 11:16*am, Michael Black wrote:
On Sun, 27 Nov 2011, NT wrote:
[...]

Heathkit offered factory wired as well as kit equipment in many
cases. But even the kits were more expensive than good used
competitive equipment and sometimes more than respectable factory
built.

The Japanese were part of the problem because they made it their
business to acquire market share at the expense of profit. The
Japanese in their salad days were content to take losses no American
competitor would for market share, because they thought long term.
American companies quit thinking long term in the mid-70s because MBA
thinking and stock market valuation was everything to the CEO. The
Japanese were racially conscious, nationalistic, and group future
driven and have always had a "co-opetitive" rather than dog-eat-dog
mentality. What has sidelined Japan is the acceptance of American
business theory.

In Amateur Radio products, Japanese companies sold equipment at cost
or lower until there was no more American competition. In fact, they
still sell them at prices amazingly low for their feature sets and
costs of development. That is because they figure the American ham who
is appliance operating instead of building is not learning and being
the competitive future.

Conspiracy theory? No, experience. My father worked for a Motorola
plant in the Midwest for decades. When a certain board member died,
Mother M sold the plant and product line to Matsu****a _for less than
the real estate was worth_. I don't blame Matsu****a for buying it and
shutting it down, even though they swore they would not do so. It was
a competitor they didn't need. But the people of the town, although
many are very stupid, still needed those jobs. I don't blame them:
they were acting rationally. It is we who acted irrationally in
allowing such a deal to go through. Ford or GM would have been happy
to buy up Japanese car plants in the 70s and do likewise, but the
Japanese would not allow it. No sane nation would.

Sorry to get into politics.

Another fault with Heathkit equipment was often that mechanically
they weren't very good. Their audio amps in the tube era were fine,
because no mechanicals are needed there. In ham equipment they needed
that and didn't have it. Collins and Drake were much much better. Yes,
they cost more, but by the time I was in high school there were good
buys in older Collins and Drake equipment because the first S/Line and
4 line buyers were going /SK already.

Another reason American companies abandoned ham and shortwave radio
was that government defense contracts spoiled most companies that got
them. Once spoiled they were like fat lazy schoolkids, and discipline
was not forthcoming. Collins was always an avionics company, and into
commercial broadcast as well. Art Collins kept them in the ham
business but when he died they ditched it as fast as possible.
Posted to rec.audio.tubes,rec.radio.shortwave

On 11/10/2011 9:52 PM, wrote:
With the survivalist market as well as the DIYers who would build a
kit I have given thought to the idea of building a new tube shortwave
receiver as a usable, practical set.

Any other comments?

As I once pointed out, long ago, now, in an amateur group, what needs to
be done is to build a radio equiv to how PCs are now done.

First you would have a generic case, these could be made by anyone, in
any design. The would provide the user with an abundance of choice in
the looks of the rig.

Next, each section of the radio would simply be a plug in card, to a
"mother board." You would have an rf section, which could cover any and
all bands, depending on construction, it would simple plug into one of
the slots on the motherboard. Audio, rf, filter, conversion, etc., etc.
could be done this way.

You would have a basic set of all sections, and could expand, or upgrade
as you would have -- or as becomes available.

It would change the face of radio, SW radios would become as numerous as
PCs -- well, almost.

Most any small manufacturer could enter the market, and provide a case,
rf section, audio section, etc. -- and expand from there, if they choose.

I simply can't get enough interest ... but the radio could be just am,
am fm, am-fm-sw, am-fm-sw-vhf, am-fm-sw-vhf-uhf, am-fm-sw-vhf-uhf-shf,
or any possible combination wanted ... this is an idea whose obvious
advantage, for consumers, is simply screaming out for production!

Later, if one wished, he could just buy a larger standard case, move his
receiver components over, buy a larger power supply, and drop in the
appropriate transmitting section(s.)

We simply wait for the radio to leave the age of the horse and buggy ...

Regards,
JS
Posted to rec.audio.tubes,rec.radio.shortwave
NT NT is offline

On Nov 27, 7:27*pm, John Smith wrote:
On 11/10/2011 9:52 PM, wrote:

[...]

But.... 99% of radio buyers have little idea what features they want,
and the very slow change in feature sets of each module are in most
cases of close to zero interest to end users. Plus radios seldom
become obsolete - even 1920s sets are still usable, for the few of us
that wish to.

Unit radio did of course exist in the early 20s, when radio technology
really was changing fast, and it made a significant difference. Come
the 30s it was gone though, even though the technology was still
changing fast. End users didn't vote for it.

A slightly similar approach was also tried in tv in the 70s, with lots
of small pcbs that could each be replaced affordably if it ever
failed. But ultimately buyers just wanted the cheapest, not to pay for
later repairability.

Does anyone other than John think there's commercial mileage in
modular radio now?

NT
Posted to rec.audio.tubes,rec.radio.shortwave
flipper flipper is offline

On 11/10/2011 9:52 PM, wrote:

[...]

I had one of those and when there was a failure discovered that just
one board cost half what the entire TV set had, and that was with me
doing the diagnosis, meaning I didn't have the cost of a 'TV service
man' plowed on top of it. That doesn't strike me as a terribly good
deal on 'repairability'.

It would, of course, go dead with a hurricane coming so I didn't have
much time and used the "hold in breaker, see what smokes" test. A
quick check of the schematic to see why and what else might have gone
with it and I fixed the thing with a couple of zeners and a resistor.

I often wonder if the 'modular PCB' idea was so 'tube test and
replace' repairmen could use the same technique on the solid state
stuff but a $250 PCB isn't a 3 buck tube. The economics just don't
work.

Does anyone other than John think there's commercial mileage in
modular radio now?

I don't because, for one, the 'computer' analogy is flawed. Computer
peripherals operate parallel on a common bus and they're not dependent
on the others. You can have 'no extras' and still have a computer, or
pick and chose whatever 'extra' things you want, like a TV tuner card.
It's the common, well defined, bus that makes this work but, even
then, it isn't 'free', which is why you see low cost PCs with all the
'typical' things stuffed onto the motherboard and maybe one or two
'expansion slot(s)', if any.

A radio, on the other hand, is essentially serial in operation with
signal coming in one end and out the other. Remove any part and you no
longer have a radio so you 'need them all' to begin with and there's
little reason to later change it even if you could (unlikely) figure
out how to enforce some common 'interface' at every stage through the
whole thing. And then there's the added cost at every single interface
break.

Bottom line, for the performance/cost ratio you can't beat solid state
and a robot assembling the stuff at warp speed. And it can be done so
cheaply you're better off to chuck it and buy another one assembled at
warp speed.

NT

Posted to rec.audio.tubes,rec.radio.shortwave
NT NT is offline

On 11/10/2011 9:52 PM, wrote:

[...]

Dead tvs with boards to take out are relatively cheap.

The last of those tvs i played with had dire soldering, and I
suspected the modularisation was necessary to make such bad soldering
produce a useful percentage of ok boards.

It would, of course, go dead with a hurricane coming so I didn't have
much time and used the "hold in breaker, see what smokes" test. A
quick check of the schematic to see why and what else might have gone
with it and I fixed the thing with a couple of zeners and a resistor.

I often wonder if the 'modular PCB' idea was so 'tube test and
replace' repairmen could use the same technique on the solid state
stuff but a $250 PCB isn't a 3 buck tube. The economics just don't
work.

I suspect lack of joined up thinking. Designers think it makes the
sets repairable and reduce the pile of dead boards, so implement it.
Then later the parts dept realise they can chanrge a pretty penny for
these little boards, so do. It kills the original idea of course.

[...]

The interface question is fairly easy, pick your interface standards
and award use of your system logo to any product that complies with
these standards. You can probably get away with only one standard, and
make match current practice of around 0.1-0.2v 10k at af.

Computers cost around 10x as much as a radio. So the extra cost of
modularising is low in percentage terms for pcs, but high for radios.
And the savings of modularisation for pcs are medium to high, but for
radios are mostly low.

NT

Posted to rec.audio.tubes,rec.radio.shortwave
flipper flipper is offline

On 11/10/2011 9:52 PM, wrote:

[...]

Not back then and even if there was one there wasn't an Internet,
Craigslist, and Ebay to find it. And even if you get past all that a
hurricane was on the way and even in this day and age things don't
instantaneously appear on your doorstep.

The last of those tvs i played with had dire soldering, and I
suspected the modularisation was necessary to make such bad soldering
produce a useful percentage of ok boards.

I was being a bit flippant but I think you've hit the target. It's a
lot more likely the reason for modularity was for in house test and
manufacture than a noble notion of home repairability. Someone might
have thrown it in as an additional 'feature' but I doubt it was the
primary factor.

It would, of course, go dead with a hurricane coming so I didn't have
much time and used the "hold in breaker, see what smokes" test. A
quick check of the schematic to see why and what else might have gone
with it and I fixed the thing with a couple of zeners and a resistor.

I often wonder if the 'modular PCB' idea was so 'tube test and
replace' repairmen could use the same technique on the solid state
stuff but a $250 PCB isn't a 3 buck tube. The economics just don't
work.

I suspect lack of joined up thinking. Designers think it makes the
sets repairable and reduce the pile of dead boards, so implement it.
Then later the parts dept realise they can chanrge a pretty penny for
these little boards, so do. It kills the original idea of course.

No company I've been in has been that 'disjointed' and departments
don't get to charge whatever they think a good idea. It's usually a
well planned, from all angles, cost/profit margin analysis including
expected warranty and after sales service revenues.

That doesn't mean they necessarily get it 'right' but if that were
'the plan' they sure wouldn't let some yahoo in the parts department
arbitrarily screw it up.

[...]

Yeah, I just don't see it but, hey, if someone has the guts and
capital then that's what free enterprise is all about.

NT

Posted to rec.audio.tubes,rec.radio.shortwave
John Smith[_6_] John Smith[_6_] is offline

On 12/2/2011 7:06 PM, flipper wrote:

Bottom line, for the performance/cost ratio you can't beat solid state
and a robot assembling the stuff at warp speed. And it can be done so
cheaply you're better off to chuck it and buy another one assembled at
warp speed.

NT

Yeah, like computers. Every year I build another, from components ...
however, I usually choose to keep my video card if no major improvements
in them are available ... keep my 1200W power supply--since it still
provide much more power than I am using, keep my network card ...

But, a new motherboard is something frequently upgraded--along with
processor ... maybe memory ... maybe hard disk ... etc.

Modularized radio and you could have dozens of audio boards, low to high
end audio, right up to HD ... new dials, new readouts, new 3.0 USB
interface to a computer, etc.

No, modular radio simply would be best for consumer and bad for
manufacturers ... who like very proprietary systems ... they would
scream at having to attempt with a generic radio platform which could be
just am or any combination right up to microwave bands ...

But, you did manage to mention the real truth of why it is not demanded
by consumers ... consumers are simply too stoopid to realize the
benefits and ask for them ... end of story.

Regards,
JS
Posted to rec.audio.tubes,rec.radio.shortwave
NT NT is offline

On Dec 14, 8:21*pm, John Smith wrote:
[...]

Its usually the manufacturer that introduces a new line, consumers can
only buy from what's available.

NT
Posted to rec.audio.tubes,rec.radio.shortwave
flipper flipper is offline

On Wed, 14 Dec 2011 12:21:58 -0800, John Smith
wrote:

On 12/2/2011 7:06 PM, flipper wrote:

Bottom line, for the performance/cost ratio you can't beat solid state
and a robot assembling the stuff at warp speed. And it can be done so
cheaply you're better off to chuck it and buy another one assembled at
warp speed.

NT

Yeah, like computers.

Actually, no, and that was the point. They're not 'like computers'.

Every year I build another, from components ...
however, I usually choose to keep my video card if no major improvements
in them are available ... keep my 1200W power supply--since it still
provide much more power than I am using, keep my network card ...

But, a new motherboard is something frequently upgraded--along with
processor ... maybe memory ... maybe hard disk ... etc.

So do I.

But I wouldn't if, like the 'modular TV' brought up elsewhere (or a
radio), each of the 'modular parts' cost darn near as much as the
whole thing. Or, put the other way, I wouldn't if I could buy a
'whole' new one for only a little more than the cost of a hard drive.

Modularized radio and you could have dozens of audio boards, low to high
end audio, right up to HD ... new dials, new readouts, new 3.0 USB
interface to a computer, etc.

If you're going to replace all that you might as well save the
interface crap and stuff the rest of the parts for a whole radio.

Not to mention there's no reason to 'right up to' HD when the detector
isn't and the band isn't either. So you have to change all that, which
is a whole blooming radio.

No, modular radio simply would be best for consumer and bad for
manufacturers ... who like very proprietary systems ...

"Like a computer," eh?

they would
scream at having to attempt with a generic radio platform which could be
just am or any combination right up to microwave bands ...

Ah yes, the good ole 'industry conspiracy' crap.

But, you did manage to mention the real truth of why it is not demanded
by consumers ... consumers are simply too stoopid to realize the
benefits and ask for them ... end of story.

I can see you're not going to be in the sales department.

Regards,
JS

Posted to rec.audio.tubes,rec.radio.shortwave

On Fri, 2 Dec 2011, NT wrote:

Does anyone other than John think there's commercial mileage in
modular radio now?

Not as portrayed, and certainly not as a general radio.

There have been articles about building in modular form and even some kits
that were modular, and of course it's a great form for experimenting, why
remake the whole radio if you want to try a new IF strip or add a new
detector? Or buy the modules you want to build up something, rather than
be stuck with what the complete radio the company sells.

But there can't be a general bus, one module takes its input from the
antenna or a previous module, and its output goes to the next module,
those have to be well isolated. The power supply is standard to each
module, the whole point of three terminal regulators was to make
regulation specific to boards rather than one big power supply feeding
everything. But control lines will be different depending on the function
of the module, some requiring lots of lines, others requiring few or none
at all.

And there's no way it would be for everyone. The average radio user
doesn't care, they just want AM/FM radio, nowadays not even AM and a radio
is a radio, once you have one for average use there's no need for
improvement.

A modular radio might be interesting to the hobbyist, which of course is
where the concept has travelled. It's there in all the VHF converters
described in the hobby magazines, getting extra coverage with a shortwave
radio at the cost of a "module", ie converter, rather than having to build
a whole new radio. It's the hobbyist that wants to try things, it's the
hobbyist that is interested in the radio in itself. They are the ones who
might want to do better on longwave, or listen to the police band (even
then, or a lot of that type of hobbyist, existing scanners are more than
enough).

For a small company aimed at the hobbyist, modules make sense. They dont'
ahve to offer multiple receivers, just enough modules for someone to put
together what they want. I long ago argued with a friend that if he was
going to go into a small electronic business, just selling boards made
sense, since then he's not involved in dealing with cabinetry. The
hobbyist can buy the modules and then take care of putting it in a case.

It's a fairly limited market, yet at one point was one that might do okay.
You can have a successful business without making loads of profit, and
indeed doing away with things like UL approval by using an existing AC
adapter or having the buyer come up with one keeps overhead down, as does
the lack of cabinetry. Find a market that really exists, and cater to it,
you may not be rich but the business may keep going.

I have no idea if the market is there anymore. I've been going through
old magazines lately, and it reminds me how much time and even money I
spent on magazines, the hobby electronic ones and the ham magazines, and I
feel detached to it as the magazines disappeared, virtually no hobby
electronic magazines in North America, and the ham magazines dwindling but
more important less available on newsstands than in the old days. The
magazines were pretty important, and I'm not sure they really have been
replaced with other things. If nothing else, they were way to keep track
of the companies that sold kits and parts.

A different way to look at it is to think about commercial shortwave
receivers. They have become really cheap, and fairly good. I paid
somewhere around $80 for a Hallicrafters S-120A (the transistorized one)
in the summer of 1971, the most I could afford, the cheapest receiver
I could find locally. It was junk, the only good thing about it was I had
no experience so I didn't know how bad it was for a bit. You can get a
Grundig Yacht Boy 400 (or whatever the same model in a different cabinet
is) for a hundred dollars, some of the other Etons for the same complete
with synchronous detector. For that matter, I am finding sw receivers
at rummage and garage sales now for pretty low amounts. That Grundig
Satellite 700 for 2.00 at the Rotary Club sale, that Sony ICF-SW1 at a
garage sale in September for 10.00 (and then about half an hour later an
Eton Mini 300 for 2.00 at another garage sale, though that is junk).

They are infinitely better than the old low end analog receivers.
People talk about buying all kinds of models, but nobody seems to think
that if a hundred dollars is seen as "disposable" then why not buy a radio
to modify extensively?

Buy one and put it into a bigger cabinet. Make it a desktop physically,
complete with a good tuning knob on the front panel. Even receivers with
up/down buttons can be tuned with a tuning knob. All those people who
judge a radio by "sound", they can put a nice big speaker in the cabinet,
though better to use an external speaker. Add better lighting to the LCD
display. Add that Q-multiplier. Add some filters if you can get some at
the proper IF frequency. The radio becomes the foundation to customize.
Add an FM IF strip and then feed the radio with converters to hear those
higher bands. Put some more front end selectivity in the box, yes
suddenly you'd have to tune it in addition to the tuning knob, but that's
the way it used to be on the good receivers anyway. It doesn't have
fine enough tuning? Then add a variable capacitor across the second
conversion oscillator (either directory or via a varicap), and you can get
a fine tuning knob that isn't linked to the BFO. For that matter, one
could splurge and add crystal controlled BFO, getting the frequencies to
be in the right place in relation to the IF filter.

What's wrong with current receivers that can be improved with a little bit
of work? Some things can't be fixed, but a lot of these new receivers
offer a pretty good foundation compared to what there was in the old days.

YOu start with a reasonably good receiver, you see the low cost so you
aren't afraid to hurt it, and you make it the receiver you want, just like
someone would want those modules for.

Michael