alex

Default newbie question - aardvark q10 + external mixer?

newbie question here--

trying to get back into recording--took a few college classes back in
the day. and I'm thinking I'll go the digital recording route this
time. my question is, what would be the advantage of having an
external mixer (say, a mackie 1604 or such) and the q10, which already
has "good" premaps (from what i've read). I want the flexibility of
editing certain things on the computer track-by-track, but I'm used to
using actual mixer knobs and such. Would using an external mixer give
you the benefit of the better preamps on that mixer?

And a broader question: what are some alternate setups to the q10, for
digital recording? (i would be recording bands w/drums [and overdubs
thereafter], so id need 8 inputs at least)

very newbish question, forgive my lack of knowledge. directions to a
suitable link/book/etc also appreciated!
Raymond

Alex wrote
trying to get back into recording--took a few college classes back in
the day. and I'm thinking I'll go the digital recording route this
time. my question is, what would be the advantage of having an
external mixer (say, a mackie 1604 or such) and the q10, which already
has "good" premaps (from what i've read). I want the flexibility of
editing certain things on the computer track-by-track, but I'm used to
using actual mixer knobs and such. Would using an external mixer give
you the benefit of the better preamps on that mixer?

And a broader question: what are some alternate setups to the q10, for
digital recording? (i would be recording bands w/drums [and overdubs
thereafter], so id need 8 inputs at least)

very newbish question, forgive my lack of knowledge. directions to a
suitable link/book/etc also appreciated!

There's lots of good books and info on the net and in groups like this so
there's a good place to start. I can tell you that its a lot of work opening a
studio, even if your going to do it part time or just for your own needs. Going
the computer rout is a very popular thing currently, but the best thing to
start with is you room's. Control, tracking and overdub booth's, you have
separate for each, or do you want to use one big room for tracking and one room
for your (listening) mix point?

Sounds like you "will" need a lot more than 8 input's for recording whole
bands. You want to go Mac or PC? If you go PC there's a long list of software's
and interfaces to chose from. If you go Mac you'll want to look at a Pro Tools
or MOTU set up. What kind of sounds are you going to be recording? Rock, Pop
and Country bands? Or are you going to do Jazz and other non mainstream stuff?
If your recording more than one person at one time you "will" want a mixer and
headphone amp.